Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center?

+10
dboss
red16russ11
kdp59
Shamrock1000
worcester
ginoc
cowens/oldschool
gyso
sinus007
bobheckler
14 posters

Go down

Will Baynes start at Center?

Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Vote_lcap43%Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]
Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Vote_lcap50%Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 7 ]
Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Vote_lcap7%Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 14

Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Empty Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center?

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:32 pm

We've said that Horford is better at PF than at C (or if you don't want to think of it in the traditional way, then think of it as a bruiser down low and another big on the perimeter).

Thought I'd get some board sentiment here.  Do you think Brad will go with a more traditional starting 5 like Horford, Baynes, Hayward, Smart, IT or with a less conventional starting 5 like Horford, Crowder (small ball 4), Hayward, IT and Jaylen?

To keep it simple, let's just start with the question of whether Baynes will start or not.  Trying to figure out whether he starts Smart or Brown just complicates it for now I think.  If you disagree, then vote 'other' and voice your opinion.

bob

Aron Baynes could become starter for Celtics

WEEI - Ty Anderson

July 13, 2017 - 5:10 pm

The Celtics may have begun a move towards a more ‘position-free’ lineup, which is something that gives C’s head coach Brad Stevens seemingly limitless lineup options next season, but even after 53 wins and the East’s top seed a season, there was no denying the fact that the Celtics were a team with massive needs at the five.

2016 first-round draft pick Ante Zizic is already coming overseas to begin his NBA career with the Celtics, and Celtics president Danny Ainge provided additional support for Zizic and Stevens with the signing of Aron Baynes to a one-year, $4.3 million contract.

A signing that may turn out to be of greater importance than originally thought.

An undersized club lacking toughness up front, Baynes’ addition certainly spoke to the Celtics’ needs. They longed for somebody to collect rebounds at both ends of the court (exposed by the Cavaliers’ Tristan Thompson in the East Finals), and also needed the toughness that Baynes brings to the club as a noted rim-protecting defensive presence.

“[Baynes] adds toughness to our team," Celtics assistant coach Walter McCarty told NBA Australia. "He's a guy who plays with a lot of energy. He plays tough, very gritty.

"We need rebounding at the four and five, I think that (Baynes) really brings that," McCarty continued. "That's what we need, that's what we struggle with.”

For a Celtics squad that ranked 22nd in both offensive and defensive rebounding per game last season (finishing 27th in the league as a whole), Baynes’ presence as a board-banging body capable of pulling down rebounds could be enough to push him into the club’s starting lineup, as it’s believed Al Horford would prefer to play the four.

And given where the Celtics are as a team, and with Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk leaving as free agents, it seems likely that Baynes will get more than the three total starts he had during his two-year tenure with the Pistons behind Andre Drummond.

“Hopefully he comes in and continues to do what he's done his whole career; That's rebound the basketball, make tough plays, give us some offensive possessions when we need them,” McCarty said of Baynes. “The NBA season is a long season. I'm sure we're going to need him to start sometimes, you just never know.”

The 30-year-old Baynes, an NBA champion with the Spurs in 2014, averaged 4.9 points and 4.4 rebounds in over 15 minutes per night for the Pistons a year ago.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Empty Re: Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center?

Post by sinus007 Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi,
I voted yes. I don't see anyone else to start at 5.
I don't see Zizic to be anywhere close to fill the role.
Another possibility is that Brad starts with a small(ish) lineup, e.g. IT, Smart, GH, Morris, AH.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center? Empty Re: Will Aron Baynes Be Our Starting Center?

Post by gyso Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Other.

It depends who we are playing on any given night.  If the other team has a bruiser (ie. Charlotte with Howard) then Baynes will start.  If the other team has a stretch 5 type center, Horford should start.

Later in the season, perhaps Zizic shows us something and starts.  Out of the gate, Baynes is our guy.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 pm

I see Morris and Horford at the starting 4-5, but he will get playing time with Al and Morris.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by ginoc Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm

The lineup will be determined by the match ups. I see Baynes as coming off the bench more often than not. But he will still be a key rotational player.

ginoc

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Since Brad started Amir so much of the season, I envision him going with a conventional center like Baynes often.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 pm

bobheckler wrote:We've said that Horford is better at PF than at C (or if you don't want to think of it in the traditional way, then think of it as a bruiser down low and another big on the perimeter).

Thought I'd get some board sentiment here.  Do you think Brad will go with a more traditional starting 5 like Horford, Baynes, Hayward, Smart, IT or with a less conventional starting 5 like Horford, Crowder (small ball 4), Hayward, IT and Jaylen?

To keep it simple, let's just start with the question of whether Baynes will start or not.  Trying to figure out whether he starts Smart or Brown just complicates it for now I think.  If you disagree, then vote 'other' and voice your opinion.

bob

Damn Bob, I never even thought of that. Brilliant! The center position is probably the weakest in the league, so putting Baynes there would have less impact than putting say, Morris at PF since there are many excellent PFs in the league. Never even considered this...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:21 pm

our starting center will be the same as last year...Horford.

Baynes has never been a NBA starter. come on man.

and Morris is three times the NBA player Baynes is as well.

Horford
Morris
Crowder
Hayward
Thomas

put whatever position you feel is needed on them.

Baynes will be our 9- or 10th man, like he's always been in the NBA.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I see Baynes starting a lot. But, I also see a starting lineup of IT, Brown, Hayward, Morris and Al
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Absolutely not however we will see several lineup changes before the Celtics figure a few things out.  He is not a starting level center.  Most likely candidate is Morris who was a starter already logging over 30 mpg.  Baynes is a rotation center from day one..

I obviously recorded a correct no vote.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I see Morris and Horford at the starting 4-5, but he will get playing time with Al and Morris.

Agreed. Last time Horford played the 5 full time, he made the All Star team.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 pm

I voted other. It doesn't matter who starts the game but who finishes. Either way, it will be about the matchups.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:45 am

No. This is a bench guy.  A little further down the bench.  Unless we need a goon in a given matchup. Then he'll come in handy.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 am

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/7/16/15978170/who-starts-for-the-boston-celtics-next-year-isaiah-thomas-gordon-hayward-al-horford-brad-stevens

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down