Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by mulcogiseng on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 am

The sixth-seeded Boston Celtics were without key players but still had enough firepower to blow out the No. 22 seed Golden State Warriors 93-69 in the Las Vegas Summer League playoffs Thursday at Cox Pavilion.

Boston's Jaylen Brown missed the game with a bruised right quadriceps, while 2017 first-round pick Jayson Tatum was out with right patellar tendonitis. But the Celtics got 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the field from reserve Roscoe Allen and 17 points on 8-of-10 field-goal shooting from second-round pick Jabari Bird to dominate the Warriors (1-4).

The Celtics (4-0) built a 20-5 first-quarter lead and never trailed, shooting 54 percent from the field, including 52.6 percent (10 of 19) from three-point range, while holding the Warriors to 28 percent shooting from the field.

Ante Zizic added 14 points and 10 rebounds with three blocks and a steal. Semi Ojeleye had nine points and nine rebounds, and Demetrius Jackson continued his solid play with nine points, four assists, three rebounds, two steals and a block.

The Warriors were once again led by Patrick McCaw, who scored 20 points. Undrafted point guard Bryce Alford had 11 points, while Noah Allen finished with eight points in 10 minutes off the bench.

The Celtics advance to play the Dallas Mavericks in the quarterfinals Friday.

My two cents: No Brown? No Tatum? No Nader? No Problem!

This was just an old fashioned beat down. Ante continues to improves as he becomes more accustomed to the NBA game. If he can hit that shot from the top of the key he will become dangerous. During the second half the announcers esp Brent Barry, did a pretty good breakdown of the Celtics roster. He had some good things to say about Zizic but what surprised me the most was when he mentioned how Guerschon could be an important part of this year's team.

I'm getting very excited about the possibilities of this season. More could change, Danny could blow it all up. But I doubt it. This will probably be very close to the roster we see take the court in October. I like the roster much better than I did last year so I expect more.
avatar
mulcogiseng

Posts : 758
Join date : 2009-10-21
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks for starting this thread, mulcogi.  I didn't get to see the game so I appreciate the recap.

The 2nd strong game, especially rebounding, from Zizic.  10 rebounds in 17 minutes.  34 rebounds in a total of 63 minutes.  One of those games, the first one against LAL, he only played 2 minutes and grabbed 0 boards, so we're really talking about 34 rebounds in 61 minutes over 3 games.  Take out that first game and he's averaging 11.3 rebounds/game and 20.1 rebounds/36mpg.  That would make him one of, if not the, #1 rebounder in the NBA.  Yeah, I know you cannot just take 21 mpg and almost double it and have it carry a ton of weight, but you can say that 11.3 rebounds/game is a very, very good number and when he gets it done in just 20 minutes that's quite impressive.  If he does that in real NBA games he is going to become a TD Garden favorite in no time flat. And find a permanent place in Cowens' heart...

http://www.nba.com/games/20170713/GSWBOS#/boxscore



bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32233
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by mulcogiseng on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

Bob, you do such a fantastic job all the time of doing all the things necessary for us to enjoy this forum more. Thank you! My pleasure to fill in when I can.

We are starting to see the player that has appeared in all of those highlight reels (digitizations? lol). He's going to be able to contribute this season in a meaningful way. He got the interview at the end of the game and it is very clear that he knows what he needs to do to be able to compete at this level and is confident he will do so. Can't ask for more than that. One of the comments that Barry had about Ante was that he is not coming into the NBA as a rookie but as a seasoned professional. Now you know I love hearing that from someone other than me. Wink Ante Zizic, my friend, will do just fine in the NBA!

Mulcogic
avatar
mulcogiseng

Posts : 758
Join date : 2009-10-21
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by kdp59 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 am

whats wrong with Tatum's knee?


inquiring minds want to know.

avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by sinus007 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 am

Hi,
It was the first SL game I watched (been out of country for the last 2 weeks).
Unfortunately Tatum wasn't playing. But I was really impressed by Zizic.
First, his hustle. Also, he has imagination. A couple of examples:
he's stuck at the top of the key and everybody expects him to wait to hand the ball to a guard but makes a spin move and has a clear path to the hoop for an easy dunk;
he posts up but can't move the defender, so he goes lateral for a hook shot (it didn't go in but the idea was great). If he can master it, it's gonna be a killer.
Obviously, he needs to work and work on his post-up game, his defense, etc. but, I believe, he does huge potential.

AK
avatar
sinus007

Posts : 1855
Join date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 am

kdp59 wrote:whats wrong with Tatum's knee?


inquiring minds want to know.



kdp,

Listed as "right patella tendonitis".


bob



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32233
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by kdp59 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Hopefully nothing long term
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm

kdp59 wrote:Hopefully nothing long term


kdp,

The tendonitis at least. Expect the right patella to stick around...


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32233
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:Thanks for starting this thread, mulcogi.  I didn't get to see the game so I appreciate the recap.

The 2nd strong game, especially rebounding, from Zizic.  10 rebounds in 17 minutes.  34 rebounds in a total of 63 minutes.  One of those games, the first one against LAL, he only played 2 minutes and grabbed 0 boards, so we're really talking about 34 rebounds in 61 minutes over 3 games.  Take out that first game and he's averaging 11.3 rebounds/game and 20.1 rebounds/36mpg.  That would make him one of, if not the, #1 rebounder in the NBA.  Yeah, I know you cannot just take 21 mpg and almost double it and have it carry a ton of weight, but you can say that 11.3 rebounds/game is a very, very good number and when he gets it done in just 20 minutes that's quite impressive.  If he does that in real NBA games he is going to become a TD Garden favorite in no time flat.  And find a permanent place in Cowens' heart...

http://www.nba.com/games/20170713/GSWBOS#/boxscore



bob


.


I love fockin bad ass role players, we've needed one a long time.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11547
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 pm

another player I'm liking is Jabari Parker, doesn't jump out at you as an uber athlete, but knows how to play and has been draining his shot, looks like a good defender.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11547
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
It was the first SL game I watched (been out of country for the last 2 weeks).
Unfortunately Tatum wasn't playing. But I was really impressed by Zizic.
First, his hustle. Also, he has imagination. A couple of examples:
he's stuck at the top of the key and everybody expects him to wait to hand the ball to a guard but makes a spin move and has a clear path to the hoop for an easy dunk;
he posts up but can't move the defender, so he goes lateral for a hook shot (it didn't go in but the idea was great). If he can master it, it's gonna be a killer.
Obviously, he needs to work and work on his post-up game, his defense, etc. but, I believe, he does huge potential.

AK

he hit a really nice hook shot running down right side of lane last game.....if he can master that shot, the way he battles in the paint and has nose for the ball, look out. If you take a charge from him after hes built up steam- good luck with that.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11547
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:18 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Thanks for starting this thread, mulcogi.  I didn't get to see the game so I appreciate the recap.

The 2nd strong game, especially rebounding, from Zizic.  10 rebounds in 17 minutes.  34 rebounds in a total of 63 minutes.  One of those games, the first one against LAL, he only played 2 minutes and grabbed 0 boards, so we're really talking about 34 rebounds in 61 minutes over 3 games.  Take out that first game and he's averaging 11.3 rebounds/game and 20.1 rebounds/36mpg.  That would make him one of, if not the, #1 rebounder in the NBA.  Yeah, I know you cannot just take 21 mpg and almost double it and have it carry a ton of weight, but you can say that 11.3 rebounds/game is a very, very good number and when he gets it done in just 20 minutes that's quite impressive.  If he does that in real NBA games he is going to become a TD Garden favorite in no time flat.  And find a permanent place in Cowens' heart...

http://www.nba.com/games/20170713/GSWBOS#/boxscore



bob


.


I love fockin bad ass role players, we've needed one a long time.


Cow,

My prediction is that you are going to LOVE Zizic. He's a banger and, according to him, he goes after every rebound. As long as he doesn't get outside of his offensive game my bet is he'll be even more effective than Perk, who wasn't very effective until KG got here and KG anchored the defense and not Perk. I don't think Zizic will ever be a defensive anchor (I could easily be wrong, but as of today...) but he will pnr well and he will be a board-eater and Lordy do we ever need one of those.

Zizic could be a Mozgov with a better offense, and that's not bad at all for an inexpensive back up center, if you can surround him with shooters. Look at Tristan Thompson. Strictly clean up, I don't think Lue runs any plays for him, but he does what he does very, very well.


bob


.


avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32233
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:23 pm

bob whats a defensive anchor? Perk was the one covering the Yao Mings and Dwight Howards with no help so everyone else could stay on their man. Perk definitely was an anchor with obviously a different playing style than Russell or Cowens or Parish.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11547
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob whats a defensive anchor? Perk was the one covering the Yao Mings and Dwight Howards with no help so everyone else could stay on their man. Perk definitely was an anchor with obviously a different playing style than Russell or Cowens or Parish.


Cowens,

A "defensive anchor", by my definition anyway, is someone who has his back to the baseline and is calling out defensive rotations and switches because he is watching the opposition's entire offense in front of him. A defensive quarterback. Bradley was/is a great defensive player, but he isn't an anchor, he wasn't a quarterback.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32233
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by sinus007 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:42 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:bob whats a defensive anchor? Perk was the one covering the Yao Mings and Dwight Howards with no help so everyone else could stay on their man. Perk definitely was an anchor with obviously a different playing style than Russell or Cowens or Parish.


Cowens,

A "defensive anchor", by my definition anyway, is someone who has his back to the baseline and is calling out defensive rotations and switches because he is watching the opposition's entire offense in front of him.  A defensive quarterback.  Bradley was/is a great defensive player, but he isn't an anchor, he wasn't a quarterback.


bob


.

Do you mean KG
avatar
sinus007

Posts : 1855
Join date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:47 pm

sinus007 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:bob whats a defensive anchor? Perk was the one covering the Yao Mings and Dwight Howards with no help so everyone else could stay on their man. Perk definitely was an anchor with obviously a different playing style than Russell or Cowens or Parish.


Cowens,

A "defensive anchor", by my definition anyway, is someone who has his back to the baseline and is calling out defensive rotations and switches because he is watching the opposition's entire offense in front of him.  A defensive quarterback.  Bradley was/is a great defensive player, but he isn't an anchor, he wasn't a quarterback.


bob


.

Do you mean KG


sinus,

Yes, I do mean KG was a defensive anchor. Cowens, Parish, Walton were too. The greatest of them all, of course, was Bill Russell.

It doesn't have to be a center, though, although it usually is because they have the entire offense in front of them. I would consider LBJ, Kawhi and Draymond defensive anchors as well. They are more than just stellar man-to-man defenders, they are also on-court defensive organizers and hole-pluggers.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32233
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:54 pm

sinus007 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:bob whats a defensive anchor? Perk was the one covering the Yao Mings and Dwight Howards with no help so everyone else could stay on their man. Perk definitely was an anchor with obviously a different playing style than Russell or Cowens or Parish.


Cowens,

A "defensive anchor", by my definition anyway, is someone who has his back to the baseline and is calling out defensive rotations and switches because he is watching the opposition's entire offense in front of him.  A defensive quarterback.  Bradley was/is a great defensive player, but he isn't an anchor, he wasn't a quarterback.


bob


.

Do you mean KG

okay that is true KG was great the way he barked out everything and had everyones back, but in a league then that had bigs that could still post, Perk was a one man demolition crew. I think that 08 defense with Perk and KG anchoring the backside and a young Rondo harassing on the perimeter is the best Celtic D of all time, I loved watching it and used to call it the Bermuda Triangle.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11547
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by dboss on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Play without JB and JT reveals that there are a lot of guys on this team with talent.

I think Bird may be a G league signee for the farm team.

I also liked Lucas and Allen

Bird has shot the ball very well and why not... his last name is Bird. He is one of the older players on this team and has a mature feel for the game. He does not rush things. He reads the defenses very well and knows when and where to attack. He is shooting 42% from behind the arc.

dboss

avatar
dboss

Posts : 6176
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 vs Golden State Warriors

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum