cowens/oldschool
jrleftfoot
mulcogiseng
kdp59
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Our Opening Day 15-Man Roster Boston Celtics Roster - Page 2 Empty Re: Our Opening Day 15-Man Roster Boston Celtics Roster

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Starting Unit

On one hand, we upgraded by adding Hayward.  On the other hand our frontline got much shorter by replacing Amir with Crowder or Morris.  Crowder can be a small-ball 4, but he's only 6'6" and Morris is 6'8-6-9" with a 6'7" wingspan.  Added firepower, lost length and defense.  I'm going to assume that whether Jaylen or Rozier start it is going to be a slight comedown from Avery.  

If Smart starts then our scoring shifts from IT being the point guard to the off-guard and Smart is the ball handler.  The other way around and we're playing 4-on-5 on offense.

Conclusion:  Probably a push or slight decline (short-term, hopefully, as Brown or Rozier step up).  More reliable offense with Hayward but a gaping hole at 4 and question marks at 2.

Second Unit

If Smart starts then the bench got much better.  He's back to running the offense, which he has gotten pretty good at, and we have added Tatum, Theis, Baynes and either Morris or Crowder (one will likely start, so the other one will come off the bench).  We lost Kelly, Zeller, Jonas, Green.

Theis = Jonas replacement
Tatum = Green replacement.  No experience but future, and his defense can't be worse.
Smart = same
Brown/Rozier = we likely lose one to the starting unit so Brad can hide them among the better talent (that's why he started Jaylen last year when Avery was out). If Smart starts, then Rozier is running the offense and that's not so great. A great defensive player but not a great floor general.
Baynes = What we wished Tyler Zeller was
Zizic = Baynes, Aron

There is no replacement for Kelly, but the addition of Tatum should more than replace Kelly's offense.  Tatum will get minutes while Gerald Green wasn't getting regular minutes.  He was a "In Case of Emergency, Break Glass" type of player on the depth chart.

Conclusion:  Our bench is much stronger than last year.

Once again, we're back to going at other teams in waves.  Our starters aren't quite as good as the top teams' starters but our bench can croak most teams' and they should be more steady and dominant in the 2nd half of the season as NBA newbies Tatum, Theis and Zizic have their learning curves start to flatten out a bit.  We have more beef coming off the bench this year but we have less on our starting unit.

Our lack of height still disturbs me greatly.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Our Opening Day 15-Man Roster Boston Celtics Roster - Page 2 Empty Re: Our Opening Day 15-Man Roster Boston Celtics Roster

Post by gyso Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Bob,

Starters:

Bradley is replaced by Hayward (4 inches taller?), Amir is replaced by Morris (1 inch shorter)  Thomas, Crowder and Horford remain.  We got somewhat bigger and better.

Bench:

We lost Kelly, Jerebko, Zeller and Green.
Smart, Brown and Rozier are one year better.
We added size and toughness. Theis, Baynes and Zizic.
We added outside shooting. Tatum and Semi-O.
We added lots of rookies.

We have a better group in the bench rotation and a bucket of rookies out of the rotation.

I think overall, we are better.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 pm

This is Terry Rozier's time to make it or break it year. I am truly hoping he comes out on the plus side, it will kill me if we have seen the best and have let Avery go. I know his contract would have been a killer next year, but there is something about Avery that makes me uneasy that he is gone. I truly hope Terry makes me smile this year. That is one of my biggest concerns, but then again I worry about crazy things every year!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 pm

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/888167237445722115/photo/1

Chris Forsberg‏Verified account
@ESPNForsberg
Follow
More
Updated Celtics depth chart and the future picks that Danny Ainge can still go star shopping with down the road.

Our Opening Day 15-Man Roster Boston Celtics Roster - Page 2 DFNnAF4XUAE-pGM  

Our Opening Day 15-Man Roster Boston Celtics Roster - Page 2 DFNnA36XoAAqKy3

3:42 PM - 20 Jul 2017

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:10 am

Bobh,
Someone has to be cut before October 17(?)
I guess Brad will decide in the course of training camp who's #16.
My bet is on Nader.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 pm

There is one full time quality big on this team.

Players can be added all day but when 3 out of 5 bigs have zero NBA games played under their collective belts and the 4th guy is only a 12 MPG rotation player, logic would dictate that our collection of bigs is very suspect.

I think Danny needs to make a trade. He needs to move Jae and another player and maybe one of those future first rounders for a long and very athletic big.

Noel is still out there. Maybe the Mavs would welcome Jae back with open arms provided Danny pins a note to him with a message that Danny and the Celtics are turning in their lease and we did not violate the mileage limitation.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Isn't Noel asking for way more money than Crowder makes?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Isn't Noel asking for way more money than Crowder makes?

Yes since JC is not asking for anything. Also Morris is a quality big. I left him out. Definite upgrade.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:24 pm

"Makes" was the operative word. Thanks for the informative answer.
, though.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Of course it is highly unlikely that Noel will be a Celtics

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2