swish
bobheckler
red16russ11
wideclyde
9 posters

Go down

Too Young??? Empty Too Young???

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:25 am

No, nothing to do with one of my ex main men on the Celtics, Mr. James Young, but more to do with the age of our current roster.

With the roster looking to be much more solid and stable now that the last few spots have been filled by signing guys and not just
talking about guys I tried to do some shaky research (certainly not my thing) relating to the average age of our 2018 roster.

Again, most likely not 100% accurate, but the average age of our team (with the current roster) is right around 25 years of age.

On that 25 year old average roster are at least SIX NBA rookies plus the 20 year old "veteran", Jaylen Brown.

No more research, but I just cannot think of a roster so young winning a championship or even getting to the finals, and this
kind of scares me.

I can see that the roster is being put together much more for a full time blitz on more and more small ball play, but not even having enough
veteran NBA players to even scrimmage against in practice has become very worrisome to me. Winning teams just don't seem to have
quite as much youth as we do, and we even have three more first round picks next summer.

Any thoughts besides Ainge may be building more toward 2019 or 2020 than for 2018?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Too Young??? Empty Re: Too Young???

Post by red16russ11 Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 am

We cannot beat GSW this year anyway, and will have a very tough time beating CLE. However, the following year, and especially two, we will be ready to pounce. Ainge has done a great job putting together this roster, and we will be fun to watch
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:07 am

wideclyde wrote:No, nothing to do with one of my ex main men on the Celtics, Mr. James Young, but more to do with the age of our current roster.

With the roster looking to be much more solid and stable now that the last few spots have been filled by signing guys and not just
talking about guys I tried to do some shaky research (certainly not my thing) relating to the average age of our 2018 roster.

Again, most likely not 100% accurate, but the average age of our team (with the current roster) is right around 25 years of age.

On that 25 year old average roster are at least SIX NBA rookies plus the 20 year old "veteran", Jaylen Brown.

No more research, but I just cannot think of a roster so young winning a championship or even getting to the finals, and this
kind of scares me.  

I can see that the roster is being put together much more for a full time blitz on more and more small ball play, but not even having enough
veteran NBA players to even scrimmage against in practice has become very worrisome to me.  Winning teams just don't seem to have
quite as much youth as we do, and we even have three more first round picks next summer.

Any thoughts besides Ainge may be building more toward 2019 or 2020 than for 2018?

Clyde,

The number I saw, for average Celtic age, is 24.5 years old.  So 25 is actually giving them a little credit.

The Cavaliers had 32 year old LeBron, 32 year old JR Smith, 36 year old Richard Jefferson and 36 year old Kyle Korver.  The only players who saw much court time that were under 30 were Tristan Thompson (26), Kyrie Irving (25), Kevin Love (28) and Imam Shumpert (27).  Nobody under 25.

The GSW have Steph Curry (29), Klay Thompson (27), Kevin Durant (28), Draymond Green (27), Iggy (33), Zaza (33), Shaun Livingston (31), David West (36), Ian Clark (25) and Patrick McCaw (21).  So, only one player playing 10mpg or more that is under 25 years old.  JaVale McGee, their designated shot blocker, only played 9.3mpg and he's 29 years old.

This crop of youth on the Celtics will need 5 years, maybe even more, for them to get to this level.  5 years, easy.  In 5 years Jaylen will only be 25, Tatum will only be 24, Zizic will only be 25, Semi will be 27 and Nader will be 28.  So only 2 of these kids we are taking on now will be older, 5 years from now, than the only <25 player in the Finals last month that played more than just garbage time minutes (and that player only played 13.7mpg).  

Set your sights accordingly.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:37 am

I've pointed out many times the folly of relying on a bunch of kids armed with POTENTIAL - potential and youth is no match against elite talent and veteran savy. The Celts have a long way to go.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:37 am

lets look a little deeper at this.

probable top 5 players in minutes this coming year:

Horford-31
Morris-27
Crowder-27
Hayward-27
Thomas- 28

average age of our top 5- 28 YO
these guys are right on the cusp of being in their NBA primes!

rotational players:

Smart-23
Jaylen-20
Tatum-19
Rozier-23
Baynes-30

average age of our rotational players- 23 YO
THREE high Lottery picks, another first and a Vet. exactly what you want if you want to compete for years

deep bench/developmental players:

Zizic-20
Theis-25
Nader- 23
Ojeleye-22
Yabusele-21?

average age of the deep bench- 22.2 YO.
these guys will likely play little this year, unless there are major injuries.

I like where we are. "young" teams don't typically win, because they need to learn how to win in the NBA. Our young guys are learning to win from day one, shorter learning curve for them.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 am

I'd rather have a young up and coming team than an old one.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Swish, the Celts may have a long way to go, but they are going there. Other teams may be there - Cavs, Dubs - but they will soon be leaving.

My prediction for 2017-18 - Theis will be our surprise big contributor.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Here is a little perspective on some of suggested end of the bench players. They will only get on the court if they earn their minutes. The future is bright for all of these young men. Despite the obstacles in front of them, I expect them to get playing time. These are experienced professionals, each with professional all star credentials. They may start at the bottom but each will have an opportunity to carve out more minutes. At least two of them will not be on the end of the bench come playoff time.

Daniel Theis 25 Years Pro 6 2011 Most Improved Player award 2014 Best Young Player award, 2014-2017 Three German League Championships, 2017 DPOY award

Guerschon Yabusele 20 years Pro 3 After 2 years in France, he signed in the Chinese Basketball Association and made the all star team. After finishing his season there he signed and played with the Maine Red Claws. Played through the pain of having bone spurs on the top of both feet.

Ante Zizic 20 years Pro 4 years, FIBA EuroCup starting five, ABA League Top Prospect

Abdel Nader 23 years, Pro 2 years MAC All freshman team (2012), NBA D-League All Rookie team, D-League All Star, D-League Rookie of the Year

17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm

worcester wrote:Swish, the Celts may have a long way to go, but they are going there. Other teams may be there - Cavs, Dubs - but they will soon be leaving.

My prediction for 2017-18 - Theis will be our surprise big contributor.

worcester,

" Cavs, Dubs - but they will soon be leaving."

Just how soon - is soon for the warriors?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Swish, soon is a function of the Warriors' owners appetite for paying luxury taxes. Klay Thompson is due for a pay upgrade next year. That could be the start of their decline.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I'd rather have a young up and coming team than an old one.

+1
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down