Here’s what we know about the Marcus Morris assault case

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Here’s what we know about the Marcus Morris assault case

Post by bobheckler on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 am

dboss wrote:Update

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20761820/marcus-morris-markieff-morris-aggravated-assault-trial-resumes-testimony-man-attacked

Interesting as Hood now says that both twins were no involved in the beating.  Only our very on Marcus took part in the alleged assault.

If things go south and Marcus gets suspended by the NBA, who will start at Power Forward?

Will Stevens insert Baynes in the lineup at Center to pair with AH?  How about Theis or Yabusele at PF to start the season?  

There is not a lot of experienced depth at the 4.  It is very likely that both Theis and Yabusele are going to get some run even if Morris is not suspended.

dboss

It will be interesting to see how he can prove he can tell which identical twin was involved when he was on the ground covering up. And not just him but corroborating witnesses as well.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:16 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/09/21/nbas-morris-twins-trial-witness-testifies-she-saw-one-brother-beat-her-friend/690633001/

NBA's Morris twins trial: Witness testifies she saw one brother beat her friend

Marcus and Markieff Morris assault trial

Judge Pamela Gates listens to testimony Sept. 18, 2017, in Maricopa County Superior Court in Phoenix.
Uriel Garcia, The Republic | azcentral.com Published 4:22 p.m. MT Sept. 21, 2017 | Updated 6:06 p.m. MT Sept. 21, 2017
morris
(Photo: Mark Henle/The Republic)

A friend of the man accusing two former Phoenix Suns players of beating him in 2015 testified Thursday that she saw either Marcus or Markieff Morris, along with other men, beat the victim so badly that she had to take him to an emergency room.

"He was like in a daze," Sherika Sherad testified, describing her friend's condition after the attack. "He was slurring (his words) sometimes, I didn't know what he was saying."

Sherad, whose testimony started Wednesday and continued Thursday, told an 11-member jury that she called 911to report the Jan. 24, 2015, attack on Erik Hood.

The Morris brothers played for the Suns at the time. They are standing trial this week along with a third man in Maricopa County Superior Court on charges related to the attack on Hood.

Thomas Bailey, a Maricopa County prosecutor presenting the case, played the 911 call to the jury in which Sherad is heard saying men including the Morrises were in a fight with Hood.

Sherad made the call from her vehicle before she drove Hood to a hospital.

“I was scared, I was very frantic,” Sherad said Thursday. “It was just a lot.”

She said a man wearing a hoodie approached Hood and a man wearing a bandanna around his face attacked Hood. Once Hood got up, several men started chasing him, she said.

Sherad said she saw one of the Morris brothers attack Hood while the other held back a man who was approaching, presumably to break up the fight. She testified that she couldn't tell who was doing the beating and who was holding the man back because they are identical twins.

She also said Hood, 39, later texted to ask if she could help him find a lawyer.

She suggested that Hood hire high-profile lawyer Mark Geragos, who has represented celebrities such as singer Chris Brown.

Other defendants in the case

The Morris brothers and former University of Southern California football safety Gerald Bowman each are charged with two counts of aggravated assault.

The Boston Celtics acquired Marcus Morris from the Detroit Pistons this summer, and Markieff Morris now is a power forward for the Washington Wizards.

Two other defendants in the case, Julius Kane and Christopher Melendez, pleaded guilty last week to two counts of aggravated assault. They will be sentenced Oct. 16.

The Morrises could face probation or prison time if convicted. The felony conviction would also automatically trigger a minimum 10-game suspension for the brothers, per the NBA’s collective-bargaining agreement.

Hood describes attack

Hood, who testified earlier this week, told Phoenix police he was at the basketball tournament when he spotted the Morris brothers and the three other men.

Hood said he was approached by Kane as he was leaving the gym and that a different person then struck him from behind and pushed him forward. He tried to run after getting back to his feet, but a group of men caught up to him, he said. Hood said he was punched and kicked in the head while he was held down.

He said he remembered Kane holding him down and Marcus Morris kicking him.

Hood said he first met the Morris twins when they were in high school in Philadelphia.

He said he used to mentor them, and the three remained close when the Morrises were recruited to play college basketball at the University of Kansas.

Hood said he had a falling out with them in 2011 based on a text message that he said was misinterpreted by Kane.

According to a police report, Hood told authorities the text in question said he had always been there for the twins' mother, Thomasine Morris. Hood believed Kane inferred the statement meant their relationship had become sexual.

Defense blames other defendants

Defense attorneys on Monday offered a different take on the evening, as well as Hood’s initial relationship with the Morris brothers.

Tim Eckstein, Marcus Morris' lawyer, has placed the blame for the attack on Kane and Melendez, the two defendants who pleaded guilty.

Eckstein also suggested in his opening statement that Hood was pointing the finger at the Morrises in hopes of getting a payout from the NBA players. Hood was questioned about that possibility while on the stand, and he said he wanted justice, even if that meant a monetary payout.

On Thursday, in trying to prove Hood's intentions were to get a payout, Eckstein showed the jury various cellphone text messages that Hood had sent to Sherad. He also showed a message Sherad sent to a friend in Maryland about the attack.

Sometime after the fight, Hood told Sherad the Morrises were going to settle soon for $20 million or else the case would go to court, according to one of the text messages.

In a separate exchange, Sherad sent a text message to a friend telling her the Morrises had beaten her friend.

She and Hood planned on filing a lawsuit against the brothers, "so I might get rich here pretty soon," the message to the friend said. Further in the exchange, Sherad said that even though she wasn't physically hurt, she would sue for "emotional distress lol."

Sherad said she wrote "lol," which means laugh out loud, in the text because she wasn't being serious.

She said Thursday she never filed a lawsuit. Hood, however, does have a pending civil case against the brothers.

The trial, which started Monday, is expected to last a total of 10 days.

bob
MY NOTE:  "The trial, which started Monday, is expected to last a total of 10 days." - So, hopefully, one way or another, this should be done by Friday 9/29.  Camp will already be underway for 4 days and we will only be 4 days away from our first pre-season game.

"He was punched and kicked in the head".  Not what I would consider a strong, reliable witness to an assailant's identity, especially not if it is an identical twin.  He knows them but head injuries are head injuries.  His witness said she couldn't tell which twin attacked and which held back the crowd.  I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that would create reasonable doubt.  You can't convict someone if the perp "could be him or maybe it was him, I can't tell the difference between them because they're twins".  Her text to her friend didn't help her credibility neither.  If the best the prosecutor has is a witness who can't identify which twin and texted about getting rich off this, and the victim who testified he sustained blows to the head, this might break the Morris' way. Barely halfway through it.

Not to hit this point too hard, it's too early for that, but I wonder if Danny can/will get salary cap relief if Morris is convicted?  He gets a mandatory 10-day suspension for a felony conviction (unbelievable.  10 games, for a felony.  Commit a mass murder and you might have to miss an entire season   Rolling Eyes ) but what if he gets jail time, which he likely will get for an assault-and-battery conviction?

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:20 pm

can't pay out that $20 Million without a paycheck!
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Without playing juror, and deciding questions of guilt or innocence, I can say that Morris doesn't sound like the kind of guy I'm happy to see in green.  I'm thinking 'where there's smoke' on this one.  I hope his on court defense and courtroom defense, end up changing my opinion.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Is the trial before a jury or just the judge?  Can be a huge difference convincing I jurist of reasonable doubt than 1 judge.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm

beat wrote:Is the trial before a jury or just the judge?  Can be a huge difference convincing I jurist of reasonable doubt than 1 judge.

beat

Beat,

Per the AZ Central about 10 days ago:

Jury selection is set to begin Wednesday in Phoenix in the aggravated assault trial of NBA players and identical twins Marcus and Markieff Morris.

"Jury selection" infers trial by jury.  If true then your point about convincing one juror out of a dozen vs 1 judge could be critical.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 pm

The entire affair is a distraction

As much as I think DA has done a good job over the off season I was not thrilled with trading Avery Bradley and a second round pick for Morris.  Even if Morris did not have legal issues I think DA gave up more than he got back.

Avery was a high character guy on and off the court. 

Morris will have a long road ahead of him to redeem himself and I think many fans feel the same way I do.

Maybe I missed it but I have mot seen one DA interview where the Morris situation was discussed with Ainge.

Boston fans are not know to look the other way.  I'm surprised that Danny has not received more scrutiny.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:42 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20852918/prosecutors-make-closing-arguments-marcus-morris-markieff-morris-assault-trial

Prosecutors make closing arguments against Marcus and Markieff Morris

10:19 PM PT

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Prosecutors urged a jury Thursday to convict NBA players Marcus and Markieff Morris of assault charges for their role in the 2015 beating of a former acquaintance in a case that has delayed the start of their season as they stand trial in a Phoenix courtroom with training camps now underway.

But an attorney defending Marcus Morris against the charges argued multiple witnesses' testimony showed the twin brothers could not have been involved in the incident.

Jurors will return to the courtroom Monday to hear remaining closing arguments from attorneys representing Markieff Morris and the final defendant, Gerald Bowman.

Prosecutor Daniel Fisher said Marcus Morris kicked the victim in the head and Markieff Morris acted as an accomplice because "they had an axe to grind" with the man who was beaten.

Fisher noted Markieff moved his car between the time of the start of the high school game and the end closer to where the assault later happened. Fisher said he acted as a lookout and fled in what he described as the getaway car.

The victim, Erik Hood, has known the NBA players since their youth basketball days, but they had a falling out in 2011. The brothers are accused of helping three other people beat Hood on Jan. 24, 2015, outside a high school basketball game. At the time, they played for the Phoenix Suns.

"They took it upon themselves to bring their friends with them to the ARCH facility to attend the basketball game ... to send Erik a message, a message that ended up putting Erik in the hospital," Fisher said.

Hood testified last week that his relationship with the brothers became strained because of a misinterpreted text message he sent their mother. He said there was nothing "improper" happening with him and their mother.

Defense attorney Timothy Eckstein said two witnesses, who went to break up the fight, placed the Morris brothers near the site but not as part of the altercation.

Those two witnesses both testified that Hood's mentor tried to solicit them to implicate the Morris twins in their testimony for a cash payment in return.

Eckstein reminded jurors that Hood told authorities nine times that both twins were involved in the assault before changing his statement to say Markieff did not beat him but had been in the vicinity.

The defense attorney said Hood repeatedly lied during the investigation, and that Hood knew he had to "double down on Marcus" beating him because the case wouldn't be worth anything without one of the brothers involved.

If they are found guilty, the Morris brothers face the possibility of prison time and discipline from the NBA, including a minimum 10-game suspension.

Marcus was traded to the Boston Celtics in July, and Markieff is now with the Washington Wizards.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said the team and officials have been in contact with Marcus throughout the trial. The team dispatched an assistant general manager to Phoenix to attend the proceedings.

"We're just waiting like everybody else to see what happens there," Ainge said. "But we feel good about what will happen. At the same time we understand what possibilities exist."

Two of the other co-defendants pleaded guilty Sept. 13 to the same charges. The Morris brothers and Bowman have all pleaded not guilty.

Hood, 36, testified last week he wanted justice for the incident that left him with a broken nose and other injuries.

bob
MY NOTE: Final arguments on Monday. Should know on Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. I don't see this as a particularly complex case. It isn't a white-collar embezzlement case where you have to follow the money through multiple launderings.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm

So....even if they are found innocent....can there be a civil case to get $$$$$$$$$$$$from them?
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:So....even if they are found innocent....can there be a civil case to get $$$$$$$$$$$$from them?
Yes.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Well now, they will pay one way or the other.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:54 pm

dboss wrote:As much as I think DA has done a good job over the off season I was not thrilled with trading Avery Bradley and a second round pick for Morris.  Even if Morris did not have legal issues I think DA gave up more than he got back.

Dboss

Same subject in the salary cap thread- but didnt DA have to move someone significant to make room for Hayward?
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:22 pm

why couldn't he have traded Crowder for Morris? I know he thought that he could not have afforded Bradley at the end of the year, but I wish he had held on to him. From what I read, he
is already making Detroit giddy over getting him. Hope he has a great year, he deserves it.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Horford + Hayward + IT (or Kyrie) does not leave room for another close to max player like AB. If Danny knew he was not going to be able to sign AB next summer, he was better to move him now - get under the cap to sign Hayward AND get back two players who make significantly less and are under control for a few more years at a reasonable rate.

Crowder was also under a very team friendly deal (21 million over the next 3 years), so he only moved at the insistence of the Cavs.

Heart and sentimentality aside, Injuries plus AB being ready for a big payday always made him the right choice to move
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:04 am

Bradley was a good player for us for sure...but many here seem to forget his yearly injury bugs that cost him an average of about 15-20 games a year. Sometimes during the playoffs.

his injury history was not a one year thing and for me was the biggest issue with signing him to a big dollar deal.

kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:37 pm

As I stated before on this subject, I did not have a problem with AB getting traded I just think we gave up more than we got in return on several levels including the character issue.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 48 minutes ago
Court is in recess in Phoenix for the Morris Brothers trial’s closing arguments. Defense attys accuse witness tampering and victim lying.
reply retweet like

The defense’s case centers on testimony from a tourney organizer that an associate of the victim offered $ to say Morris bros were perps.
12:00 PM · Oct 2, 2017

Jared Weiss
·
45m
Replying to @JaredWeissNBA
There are additional texts from the victim saying he wants to target Morris bros in lawsuit cause they have money, but motive unclear.
MY NOTE:  money is, itself, a motive.

about 37 minutes ago
This was a late revelation leading to trial that hurt the state’s case. Defense just needs to prove reasonable doubt for not guilty verdict. twitter.com/jaredweissnba/…

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:22 am

say it ,forget it

write it, regret it.
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/10/boston_celtics_news_marcus_mor.html#incart_river_index

Boston Celtics news: Marcus Morris' trial headed to jury; forward has worked with Celtics staffer while away from team

Updated on October 3, 2017 at 2:21 AM Posted on October 3, 2017 at 2:20 AM

By Jay King

BOSTON -- Now waiting for a jury to decide his aggravated assault trial, Boston Celtics forward Marcus Morris has taken steps toward learning his new team's basketball system despite being away throughout training camp and the early stages of preseason.

The Associated Press had this account of the trial for Morris and his brother, Markieff, which went to a jury Monday:

The jury has begun deliberations in the aggravated assault trial of NBA players Marcus and Markieff Morris.

Prosecutor Thomas Bailey told the jury the defendants "acted like high school bullies on a playground."

The Morris brothers are accused of helping three other people beat 36-year-old Erik Hood two years ago in Phoenix.

Defense attorney James Belanger told the jury the case is inexcusably tainted by Hood's mentor trying to solicit two witnesses to implicate the Morris twins for a cash payment in return. But Bailey stressed that Hood's mentor did not have any effect on witnesses' testimony, including the one made by the victim.

The prosecutor told the jury to consider the fact that Hood was beaten severely by the defendants and that he wants them to pay. He said the Morris brothers had a motive for the attack.

Hood previously testified his relationship with the twins became strained because of a misinterpreted text message.

Jurors began hearing testimony on Sept. 18.

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said a Celtics staffer has been with Marcus Morris in Phoenix throughout the trial.

"We've kept him as up to speed as we can throughout the first seven days of training camp," Stevens said Monday night before a preseason opener with the Charlotte Hornets. "He's been in constant contact with us. We've had a guy out there to work out in the morning. But obviously he's got a lot on his plate right now. After the legal process plays itself out, we'll know more and go from there."

Stevens said he has personally spoken to Morris a couple of times recently, but hasn't spent "a whole lot of time talking to him" while he deals with the trial.

"From everything I know, we're getting what we need to get from the standpoint of, this is what we're doing on each end of the floor," Stevens said. "But until you go out and do it with the guys you're going to be doing it with -- it's going to take time for him to adjust, that's for sure."

bob
MY NOTE: I have no experience with jury trials, in any capacity, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of what's reasonable, but I cannot see how a relatively simple case like this would need more than 24 hours to decide. This should be done by noon tomorrow at the latest.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:08 pm

If the jury can't make a decision the judge usually will instruct them to continue to deliberate.  If they are split 6-6 or something close to that doubt the will render a verdict.  Then you have a hung jury and perhaps a retrial.  Sort of doubt the prosecution will opt for that.  If it's close and there are only 1-2 holdouts. Maybe a decision will happen.  

My guess is innocent or a hung jury.

Seems too much reasonable doubt in this case.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:13 pm

beat wrote:If the jury can't make a decision the judge usually will instruct them to continue to deliberate.  If they are split 6-6 or something close to that doubt the will render a verdict.  Then you have a hung jury and perhaps a retrial.  Sort of doubt the prosecution will opt for that.  If it's close and there are only 1-2 holdouts. Maybe a decision will happen.  

My guess is innocent or a hung jury.

Seems too much reasonable doubt in this case.

beat

beat,

Thanks. Good to have a career law enforcement professional's opinion on this.

I also like that the Celtics have had one of their staff out in Phoenix working Morris out while this trial is going on. It's not the same as being with the club, but it's something.

Assuming he gets out from under this he better bring it, for all this crap.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Prosecutors don't like to bring cases to trial that they're worried about winning

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm

KyleCleric wrote:Prosecutors don't like to bring cases to trial that they're worried about winning

Kyle,

True, and yet they still lose some. Conviction rates in state courts vary from 84% in Texas to 59% in Florida. 59% is almost an even break.

I don't know what the rules are for discovery from defense-to-prosecution in the state of Arizona, but it might be possible that the defense might have something up their sleeve and they don't let the prosecution know about it until they spring it on them. Prosecutors, however, have clear obligations as to what they need to provide the defense. From what I am reading, and I am NOT a lawyer, the legal obligations for discovery by the prosecutor and by the defense team are NOT the same.

I still think one of the biggest things they have going for them is that they are identical twins and multiple witnesses have said that one participated and one didn't. Any confusion as to what they were wearing (it was night-time and some of the witnesses had, no doubt, been drinking since they were at a club) and that's reasonable doubt.

By this time tomorrow, I would think, we'll know.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:41 pm

It is hard in this day and age to dismiss something like this. I don't know if they did it or not, but, for their sake, it would be better for the both of them to be found innocent, period. And it is time to grow up and watch where and when you go places and with whom.

Sound like a Mother don't I????

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:It is hard in this day and age to dismiss something like this. I don't know if they did it or not, but, for their sake, it would be better for the both of them to be found innocent, period. And it is time to grow up and watch where and when you go places and with whom.

Sound like a Mother don't I????  

Rosalie

It's sound advice, in my opinion.  Razz

KJ
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top