NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz

3 posters

Go down

NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz Empty NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/nba_rookie_of_the_year_odds_fr.html#incart_river_index

NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz

Updated on July 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Posted on July 18, 2017 at 1:50 PM

NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz 23088822-mmmain
Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum (11) lays the ball in as Philadelphia 76ers guard Markelle Fultz (7) defends during the second half of an NBA summer league basketball game Monday, July 3, 2017, in Salt Lake City.

By Jay King

Boston Celtics wing Jayson Tatum jumped Markelle Fultz in Bovada's latest NBA Rookie of the Year odds Tuesday afternoon.

From ESPN's Chris Forsberg:

NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz DFCDwRRWsAALGOI
Follow
Chris Forsberg ✔ @ESPNForsberg
In @BovadaLV’s updated Rookie of the Year odds, Jayson Tatum now has better odds than Markelle Fultz.
12:51 PM - 18 Jul 2017
 56 56 Retweets   148 148 likes

My take: Even if Tatum's one of the four best rookies, he will have more competition to get on the court than anyone else taken in the lottery -- and, on top of that, he'll need to share touches with stars like Isaiah Thomas, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford. Mostly because of the Celtics situation, I would be shocked to see Tatum win Rookie of the Year, and I would be surprised if he earns more votes than Fultz.

Yes, Fultz will need to share touches (and votes) with teammate Ben Simmons. But both of the Philadelphia 76ers should still have more opportunities and a longer leash than Tatum. There are a list of benefits to playing for an Eastern Conference contender, but Boston's deep roster will hurt Tatum's chance to win any awards. The Rookie of the Year is all about opportunity, and I don't see Tatum getting enough of one, even if he's really good.

bob
MY NOTE:  I agree with Jay King's assessment, Tatum is NOT going to win ROY.  He isn't going to get the minutes on this team.  In the bigger picture, longer run, that's probably better for Tatum's growth, but not so good for short-term (and meaningless goals) like ROY.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz Empty Re: NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:05 am

Kevin McHale was the 3rd pick in his draft and didn't win rookie of the year, how did that turn out?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz Empty Re: NBA Rookie of the Year odds from Bovada: Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum has better odds than Markelle Fultz

Post by gyso Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 am

Top rookie of the year vote getters usually play for bad teams and get lots of minutes. Their teams rarely make the playoffs, let alone go to the conference finals.

I think Jason Brown appreciated his experience last year. I hope Jason Tatum can follow a similar path during his rookie season.

Better than ROY, let's see who gets to be an All-Star first.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down