Marcus Morris Quotes From Introductory Presser

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marcus Morris Quotes From Introductory Presser

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Brian Robb @CelticsHub
about 3 hours ago
Marcus Morris on joining Celtics: "This is the first time in my career where I can say I have an opportunity to compete for the Finals."
reply retweet like
MY NOTE:  I like his attitude.

Brian Robb @CelticsHub
about 3 hours ago
Marcus Morris on trade: "How could I be upset about going to Celtics? Paul Pierce is my favorite player."
reply retweet like

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 3 hours ago
Marcus Morris said he reached out to Paul Pierce and asked if he can work out with him.
reply retweet like
MY NOTE:  GREAT!  Then he can work out with Tatum too!  Already seeing benefit from Morris.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 3 hours ago
Marcus Morris reached out to Paul Pierce to work out with him, pick his brain about Boston. "First thing he said was I'm gonna love it."
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
about 3 hours ago
#Celtics Marcus Morris on Aron Baynes: A true professional. He's always working extremely hard. You can count on him.
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
about 3 hours ago
#Celtics Marcus Morris on Aron Baynes: He's the type of player you want to play with and not against.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Morris Quotes From Introductory Presser

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:53 am

Time to crunch a few numbers and take a closer look at Marcus Morris.

He represents an upgrade at our PF position.

For the past few years we have been using part time players at the pf as well as our rotational Bigs position.  Morris changes that narrative.  He is a 30 MPG player and as such will provide more continuity for the Celtics.

His skill level is a perfect fit for Boston.

While he shot only 33% from behind the arc last year he is a career 36% 3 point shooter.  He can make the 3 pointer from either wing positions as well as from up top.

He can handle the ball and has a nice fallaway from midrange.  He can finish through contact.

While video highlights only show the good I am sure that most would agree that Morris is a skilled offensive player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm4uQf3IT5M

The Celtics projected starting 5 reflects a group of players that can all score from the perimeter.  

We are going to see a lot of Small ball and I would not be surprised if Brad also plays Morris at center.  I expect that the Boston offense will experience fewer periods where they struggle to score.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 am

dboss wrote:Time to crunch a few numbers and take a closer look at Marcus Morris.

For the past few years we have been using part time players at the pf as well as our rotational Bigs position.  Morris changes that narrative.  He is a 30 MPG player and as such will provide more continuity for the Celtics.

While he shot only 33% from behind the arc last year he is a career 36% 3 point shooter.  He can make the 3 pointer from either wing positions as well as from up top.

He can handle the ball and has a nice fallaway from midrange.  He can finish through contact.

While video highlights only show the good I am sure that most would agree that Morris is a skilled offensive player.

The Celtics projected starting 5 reflects a group of players that can all score from the perimeter.  

We are going to see a lot of Small ball and I would not be surprised if Brad also plays Morris at center.  I expect that the Boston offense will experience fewer periods where they struggle to score.

dboss

dboss,

I was a bit concerned, after watching that video you provided, because there was not one single defensive highlight provided.  So, I went out and found this stuff.  You are right about one thing, he can shoot.  He can catch-and-shoot, which is how we have been playing the last year or two, but he can also create his own shot off the dribble.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/02/29/detroit-pistons-marcus-morris-defense/81097900/

Pistons’ Marcus Morris makes case for all-defensive honors
Vince Ellis, Detroit Free Press Published 2:20 a.m. ET Feb. 29, 2016 | Updated 1:00 p.m. ET March 1, 2016
0:00
0:30

Pistons' Marcus Morris: 'We took care of business' vs. Raptors

NBA: Detroit Pistons at Milwaukee Bucks
(Photo: Benny Sieu USA TODAY Sports)

Marcus Morris was dressing late Saturday night when he looked at a stat sheet, placed strategically on a nearby table.

The Pistons had just dusted the Bucks, but Morris’ eyes weren’t drawn to his efficient 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting.

He was looking at the numbers of his primary defensive assignment, Milwaukee forward Giannis Antetokounmpo.

The Greek Freak, one the NBA’s most promising young talents, was held to eight points and seven assists on 3-for-11 shooting.

With two reporters close by, Morris said he would appreciate some love for the NBA’s all-defensive teams.

Consider it done.

Pistons win fourth straight Sunday vs. Raptors
When Morris is putting together his résumé to highlight his defensive body of work, the past week might be included.

He started Monday by holding four-time MVP LeBron James to 5-for-18 shooting in the Pistons’ surprising 96-88 victory at Cleveland.

Morris doesn’t wow you with blocked shots and steals. He does a great job of staying in front of small forwards, the position with some of the most dynamic scorers in the league.

Antetokounmpo, a 6-foot-11 athletic marvel, is devastating in the open floor. But he was just a midrange jump shooter Saturday night.

And Raptors coach Dwane Casey noted Morris sets a tone on defense.

“Most of all, it’s his defensive toughness,” Casey said Sunday. “With the defensive disposition he brings, it’s not like you’re just going to catch the ball down there and go to work on him in the low post.”

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 am

Bob

Thanks for introducing the defensive side of the equation so that we get a more complete profile on Morris.

I think we can agree that Morris is an offensive and defensive upgrade at PF.

I think he will thrive in the Celtics wide open offense. I think he will help on defense as well.

I can't wait to see this team on the court.

dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 pm

I have said all along I think Morris will start on this team. So, unless we are thinking of Hayward at the "2" I think Crowder has been relegated to the bench...........unless we start Baynes as well. IT, Hayward, Morris, Horford and Baynes would be good, too.
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:53 pm

dboss wrote:Time to crunch a few numbers and take a closer look at Marcus Morris.

dboss

dboss,

Opposing bigs will be able to shoot over us from the low post position if anybody except Al Horford is guarding them.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:08 pm

red16russ11 wrote:I have said all along I think Morris will start on this team.  So, unless we are thinking of Hayward at the "2" I think Crowder has been relegated to the bench...........unless we start Baynes as well.  IT, Hayward, Morris, Horford and Baynes would be good, too.

Hayward and Crowder will start.  We will be playing without a traditional SG.  On offense we should be OK.  The question is defense.  I just do not see Baynes as a starter.  He is a more traditional low post center with little value in a pace and space offense

Crowder may end up on the bench but not right away.  Once the row of dominoes starts to collapse Jaylen Brown will become the 2 guard with Hayward at SF.  Crowder will not like being demoted and DA should already be developing trade scenarios to move him.

Here is the bottom line.  IT is the weak link on defense.  Boston was able to mask that deficiency because Bradley could also defend the point and or serve as a defensive rotation stopper once IT was compromised.  This year we do not have that option with Hayward at the 2.  Thus the entire defense may break down like a row of dominoes.

Insert Brown into the lineup and you have elite level quickness on defense.  Hayward moves back to his natural SF position and Crowder moves to the bench.  Crowder is now pissed. Will he do what is best for the team?  

This is actually the single biggest issue facing the Celtics.  Neither IT or Hayward will EVER be mentioned in a conversation about good defensive players.

This leads to the next debate.  Do you give IT a max deal when he is arguably the weakest PG defender in the NBA?  I think Hayward also falls in that categiry but to a lesser degree.  Truth is, he cannot  check any of the top SF in the league.

Brad will have his work cut out for him to address this issue.  He has one reasonable solution.  Start Brown at the SG.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Funny how a thread about Morris goes through a process of metamorphosis  about defending at the point and the SG

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:19 pm

dboss wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:I have said all along I think Morris will start on this team.  So, unless we are thinking of Hayward at the "2" I think Crowder has been relegated to the bench...........unless we start Baynes as well.  IT, Hayward, Morris, Horford and Baynes would be good, too.

Hayward and Crowder will start.  We will be playing without a traditional SG.  On offense we should be OK.  The question is defense.  I just do not see Baynes as a starter.  He is a more traditional low post center with little value in a pace and space offense

Crowder may end up on the bench but not right away.  Once the row of dominoes starts to collapse Jaylen Brown will become the 2 guard with Hayward at SF.  Crowder will not like being demoted and DA should already be developing trade scenarios to move him.

Here is the bottom line.  IT is the weak link on defense.  Boston was able to mask that deficiency because Bradley could also defend the point and or serve as a defensive rotation stopper once IT was compromised.  This year we do not have that option with Hayward at the 2.  Thus the entire defense may break down like a row of dominoes.

Insert Brown into the lineup and you have elite level quickness on defense.  Hayward moves back to his natural SF position and Crowder moves to the bench.  Crowder is now pissed. Will he do what is best for the team?  

This is actually the single biggest issue facing the Celtics.  Neither IT or Hayward will EVER be mentioned in a conversation about good defensive players.

This leads to the next debate.  Do you give IT a max deal when he is arguably the weakest PG defender in the NBA?  I think Hayward also falls in that categiry but to a lesser degree.  Truth is, he cannot  check any of the top SF in the league.

Brad will have his work cut out for him to address this issue.  He has one reasonable solution.  Start Brown at the SG.

Dboss

dboss,

Do you see the possibility of Rozier becoming the starting SG, in place of Bradley? His offensive game isn't up to Bradley's but his defensive abilities are similar so he could become the player that guards the quick point guard on the other team.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Absolutely not. If there was a knock on Bradley it was because of his size. Rozier does not address the size issue and he has yet to prove that he can be a knock down shooter. The shooting question also applies to Brown. However Brown has the qickness to defend the point and the size to play SG and SF.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:44 pm

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:02 pm

worcester wrote:Isaiah is not the worst pg defender, but he is close.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697532-nba-metrics-101-the-worst-5-defenders-at-every-position

worcester,

Note that Kelly Olynyk is not one of the 5 worst defenders at either PF or C.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Brown should get the 2 position because of reasons already mentioned, but he will have to take on the better/tougher match up defensively at the 2 or 3 when paired with Hayward.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Bob, KO's defense noted.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, KO's defense noted.

worcester,

Somewhere, out there, Cowens' head just exploded and made a gray fingerpainting mess on the walls...

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:54 pm

bobheckler wrote:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697532-nba-metrics-101-the-worst-5-defenders-at-every-position

worcester,

bob

Saw on ESPN yesterday that Kyrie Irving was the second worst defensive guard in the league but he's not listed among the five here.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:13 pm

I thought I read in more than one article amoung the many written about Hayward that he actually was a solid defender? Maybe not elite but at least a "good" defender and versatile.
bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:25 pm

bobc33 wrote:I thought I read in more than one article amoung the many written about Hayward that he actually was a solid defender?  Maybe not elite but at least a "good" defender and versatile.
I've read his defense significantly improved last year.  Everyone knows he was a weak defender early in his career.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:27 pm

bobc33 wrote:I thought I read in more than one article amoung the many written about Hayward that he actually was a solid defender?  Maybe not elite but at least a "good" defender and versatile.

Bob,

I saw that about Hayward as well. I also saw the same thing steve3344 saw about Irving being a worse defender than Thomas.

Statistics, I guess that people can bend them any which way to prove a point.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Hayward is Not a bad defender.  Just want to make sure that my comments are not to disparage his defense.  

He played on a team where their defense was anchored by a tremendous rim protector and rebounder.

Whether IT is a bad defender or the 4th worst defender at PG is not really relevant to the point I am trying to make.  IT struggles to defend his position and has relied on help defense.  AB was the main source of that help.  Enter Gordon Hayward.  If he is tasked with defending the 2 and also helping out IT, It would be an unreasonable demand.

One potential fix is to start JB.

Any argument suggesting that this is not a problem because IT is not the worst pg defender or that Hayward is not that bad of a defender is a real stretch.

The Celtics will have to deal with this issue.  The good thing is that they have alternatives.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 pm

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

worcester,

bob

Saw on ESPN yesterday that Kyrie Irving was the second worst defensive guard in the league but he's not listed among the five here.

steve,

Kyrie is given "Honorable Mention", along with Dellakneediver, Brandon Knight, Dennis Schroder and Cory Joseph. So he might not be in the 5 worst, but he is in the 10 worst.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:07 pm

dboss wrote:Hayward is Not a bad defender.  Just want to make sure that my comments are not to disparage his defense.  

He played on a team where their defense was anchored by a tremendous rim protector and rebounder.

Whether IT is a bad defender or the 4th worst defender at PG is not really relevant to the point I am trying to make.  IT struggles to defend his position and has relied on help defense.  AB was the main source of that help.  Enter Gordon Hayward.  If he is tasked with defending the 2 and also helping out IT, It would be an unreasonable demand.

Any argument suggesting that this is not a problem because IT is not the worst pg defender or that Hayward is not that bad of a defender is a real stretch.

The Celtics will have to deal with this issue.  The good thing is that they have alternatives.

Dboss
I am reminded of that quote attributed to Celtic not so great Dino Radja,  "my man can't guard me either."   

In the era of great offense and not so great defense, i'll go with the firepower.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 pm

beat wrote:
dboss wrote:Hayward is Not a bad defender.  Just want to make sure that my comments are not to disparage his defense.  

Dboss
I am reminded of that quote attributed to Celtic not so great Dino Radja,  "my man can't guard me either."   

In the era of great offense and not so great defense, i'll go with the firepower.

beat

True.

NBA rules of today allows more scoring.

Gone are the days of NBA teams only scoring 90 points per game, like the Knicks of Ewing in the 1990s.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Great teams play great at both ends.

Dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

dboss wrote:Great teams play great at both ends.

Dboss

True.

But defense has its limitations.

When you have guys like Lebron or KD, there's no defense that can stop them.

Offense will always have the advantage over defense.

There's no defense that will limit an NBA team to 10 points a quarter.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top