Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really.

+3
bobheckler
fierce
kdp59
7 posters

Go down

Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really. Empty Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really.

Post by kdp59 Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 am

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/

According to Vecsey, however, Jackson was legitimately interested in dealing Porzingis: People knew, they probably wouldn’t have accepted, but Phil was angling to try and trade Porzingis for the No. 1 pick to Boston and he would have taken [Lonzo] Ball. That’s who he was after. In the end, people might really like that.” – via HoopsHype

this should get an interesting conversation going.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really. Empty Re: Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really.

Post by fierce Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:48 am

I'm sure Ainge would have done that deal.

#1 pick for Porzingis is fair.

I think it's the owner of the Knicks who refused to trade Porzingis.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really. Empty Re: Porzingis for the #1 pick?...really.

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 am

fierce wrote:I'm sure Ainge would have done that deal.

Fierce,

#1 (Jayson Tatum) for Porzingis is more than fair, it's another Trader Danny coup.

And it was Knick owner James Dolan who blew up this, and every other trade offer, for the Zinger.

I really, really like Jayson Tatum but I would give him up in a NY second for Porzingis, especially straight-up.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:06 am

bobheckler wrote:
fierce wrote:I'm sure Ainge would have done that deal.

Fierce,

#1 (Jayson Tatum) for Porzingis is more than fair, it's another Trader Danny coup.

And it was Knick owner James Dolan who blew up this, and every other trade offer, for the Zinger.

I really, really like Jayson Tatum but I would give him up in a NY second for Porzingis, especially straight-up.

bob

Agree.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 am

think of those possibilities.

damn Dolan!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Bob, ditto. Jayson for Zinger straight up...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, ditto. Jayson for Zinger straight up...

Jayson and Crowder for Zinger.  Jayson and Crowder and either the 2018 Brooklyn pick or the Laker/Kings pick.  I'm good with either one.  I doubt we are going to draft a big that will be better than him, probably not even as good as him, and he's a proven quantity.  We know his game will translate to the NBA.

And he's only 22.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm happy that this trade didn't go through.
Ball seems to be a perfect fit for the Lakers.
Porzingis to Boston would have been a great match next to Horford.
Having Tatum on a rookie contract will help Boston immensely.
Porzingis will be getting paid big time in 2 years.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:14 am

I say call Dolan now and offer Crowder along with either Tatum OR Jaylen along with that Laker/Kings pick.

with the coming trade of Melo to either Houston or Portland, Dolan might be willing to do a total reboot this year.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Such a thought by Jackson is why he is no longer the Knicks general manager?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

wideclyde wrote:Such a thought by Jackson is why he is no longer the Knicks general manager?

too bad Danny couldn't get that one done before they fired Jackson, though.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm

I have several friends who are Knicks fans.

None remember the 70's title teams. Their memories start around when Magic and Bird entered the league just like mine. Their loyalty to a franchise they've never seen win is heartbreaking but hilarious at the same time. About half of them are also Giants fans who always try to change NBA talk into the NFL and the Pats two SB losses to the GMen. The other half are Jets fans who can't even remember Namath so their struggle is VERY real.

I bring them up b/c starting when Porzingis was a revelation as a rookie and continuing through the end of this season every one of these Knicks fans said they would not trade Porzingis for BOTH Nets picks, Smart AND Brown. Which I said was silly and as a Celtic fan I personally would not make that trade. Despite Porzingis talent, he was not worth likely four top 6 picks. But they so desperately wanted something on Boston and Ainge's masterful rebuild, so their rallying cry became attempts to try and diminish the C's many assets and bright future by declaring that the Knicks future was in fact brighter b/c they had the one thing Boston did not: a young superstar.

After the season, Kristaps exit meeting skip and Phil's lukewarm comments about him these NY fans all said they would now trade Porzingis for Zizic, Brown and the 2017 #1 pick (which like 6 of the 8 guys preferred to use on Fultz over Ball). An offer I still would have declined. The point is, they drastically downgraded KP's trade value as a way to hedge their bets right when it looked like their savior may in fact be moved by mad Phil. That is what their fans do, they dramatically change their minds and opinions based on the mindset, bizarre comments and odd behavior of their horrendous owner and (for a short time) their horrendous and arrogant President.

It definitely makes for high drama, but MAN it must stink to be a fan of that team post 1975. They had some fun in the 90's when the C's were bad but they were also rooting for a team whose bullying style of defense actual hurt the league, shamed the sport, forced rule changes and never even resulted in a championship. How unsatisfying.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

I would not have traded Zizic, Brown and the #1 pick for Porzingis before the draft.

I would have traded Zizic, Yabusele and D. Jackson (or Mickey and Rozier) plus the #1 pick for Porzingis.

If the C's made such a trade they would have been moving what eventually turned into 5.65m owed Tatum, 1.64m Zizic and either 2.34 of Yabu/Jax or 2m for Rozier that counts against the current cap. Either way, with Porzingis making 4.5m this coming season the C's would have found themselves far enough under the cap to add Hayward without having to trade Bradley.

Starters: Porzingis, Horford, Hayward, Bradley, Thomas

Bench Contributors: Smart, Brown, Crowder, Ojeleye, Baynes

Deep Bench: Larkin or D Jax, Rozier or _____, Nader, Yabu or Mickey, _______

The team would have been on the lookout for a big on the 15 man, although with Porzingis, Horford and Baynes they may have still gone with Theis. They wouldn't keep Jackson AND signed Larkin if Rozier was gone, likely looking for another defensive minded combo-guard, let Bird or Allen make the final roster or maybe kept Gerald Green.

I think this would be a much better team and would even have sacrificed a future non-Nets or Grizz 1st rd pick to make it happen (in addition to the LA/Sac pick never coming here). Phil may have been onboard but Dolan apparently was not and so we'll never know if that cost the Celtics the above opportunity.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down