mrkleen09
KyleCleric
BleedGreen
bobheckler
wideclyde
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are the '17-'18 Celtics Too Young? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are the '17-'18 Celtics Too Young?

Post by BleedGreen Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Swish,

I'm no spring chicken myself, but looking 3-4 years ahead has not failed me yet and as I said is always done realistically. To not look that far into the future at all or be negative about the club's future as it stands right now is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

I was a C's fan attending games on my dad's shoulders when Hondo was here, but cannot remember him. I can first remember my fan mindset about the future outlook of the team around the time Bird was drafted.

In 1981 I looked 3-5 years ahead and said, "wow these guys won't all be in their 30's until 1988, they will ABSOLUTELY be good for 5-6 more years" and I was right.

When Bias died, I was crushed. It would be like Jaylen becoming truly great this year or next and then passing away. Bias was by all accounts a ready made all-star. Jordan battled him in the ACC and said he'd have been his NBA equal for the next decade. But I looked 3-4 years ahead at the time and was still positive and said the best starting 5 in NBA history has a window of about that many years and should keep trying to win with the roster they have +/- some tweaks on the bench (I had this same outlook in 2007-08).

By 1988-89 things went sour. First when Bird got hurt, second when McHale could have become Shrempf and Perkins and third when Red blew the draft and did not take Tim Hardaway like it seemed EVERYBODY ELSE (myself included) wanted. I had a negative outlook of the teams next 3-5 years at this time. I felt they should have blown it up then and there.

This negative outlook for the near future remained through the years Gavitt didn't blow it up to go for top 5 picks in 1994-95 after Reggie died and when Pitino was not tanking in 1997-98 and was doing dumb things like taking Mercer over McGrady, trading Billups for Kenny Anderson and a '99 lotto pick for Potopenko.

Slick Rick and Gavitt were guys with one year plans when they needed to have 3-5 year plans and I despised them for it.

When Ainge was put in charge with a 3-5 year plan and a 25 year old superstar named Paul Pierce in the fold I finally began to have positive feelings about the C's near future again.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Are the '17-'18 Celtics Too Young? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are the '17-'18 Celtics Too Young?

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

All true but Magic was 20 and the spark to that team and Bird was only in his second year in the league, it was still very early.

Really excited to see how good Jaylen Brown can be at 24 and Tatum at 23, plus Hayward would be 30 and with the way they train now, take care of themselves and playing on a deep team, he should still be very good.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
swish wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Swish,

OK, can't argue with your numbers.

How about I stand by my original statement and put it a different way?  

I THINK that young players games are advancing faster than ever before.  Be it that they're considered elite, or not, I BELIEVE that we will see a team with a high number of very young players win a championship relatively soon.

Better?  Very Happy

Regards

NYCelt

The talent level coming into the NBA at the tender age of 19 is fantastic - and I agree that it is just a matter of time when a team top heavy in talented youth will blend in with a cast of seasoned veterans to win it all. It's far from impossible - difficult, but possible indeed.

swish

it already happened in 79-80 and 80-81, it just hasn't happened in awhile....heck it happened in 57 didn't it?

Cow,

Yes, that's true.  But I'm thinking more of the modern NCAA era, when players are often one-and-done.  More along the lines of players as young as 19 to 22 years of age.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:17 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:All true but Magic was 20 and the spark to that team and Bird was only in his second year in the league, it was still very early.

Really excited to see how good Jaylen Brown can be at 24 and Tatum at 23, plus Hayward would be 30 and with the way they train now, take care of themselves and playing on a deep team, he should still be very good.

Agreed

Again, I point to the 1979 Sonics as a team with such an interesting youth vs. experience championship roster.

Sure, not many people would want to see the Celtics turn into a club that had just a 3 year run of '78 Finals loss, '79 Title and '80 WCF loss. This Celtics team will definitely have more sustained success, but those Sonics have the type of roster dynamic I'd think we could see here.

They had a short rotation of only 7 guys.* Their backcourt of 25 year old Gus Williams and 24 year old Dennis Johnson terrorized teams and featured the clubs two best players. Gus was more of the offensive threat at 19p/4a and DJ the two-way star of 16p-5r-3.5a and 2.5 combined blks/stls. They would be like 24 and 23 year olds Brown and Tatum really blowing up and taking over alpha roles here.

Seattle's 3rd best player was 2nd yr big man Jake Sikma who at age 23 would be repped on the 2021 C's by an as yet unknown young big paired with Horford. This guy could arrive in a trade of say Crowder or Morris + Baynes and late rd picks or (more likely) be a 2018 lotto pick from the Nets or Lakers who would be around 23 that season.

3 of the next 4 guys in the Seattle's rotations were vets. 35 year old Paul Silas who we all know and love from his underappreciated 4 year run in Boston as a glue guy vet next to a young-ish Dave Cowens in the frontcourt during the '73-'76 seasons. His exit from Boston basically ended the 70's team as a contender and an older version of Silas had the same role next to Sikma as he did next to Cowens in less mins '78-'80. This player on the 2021 Celtics would clearly be an almost 35 year old Al Horford (assuming he re-signs here).

The Sonics had two guys in John Johnson and Fred Brown who were 30-31 year olds at the tail end of their prime just 2-3 season removed from being big-time scorers (Brown more than Johnson) and each had been an all-star but seamlessly stepped aside and let Dennis and Gus take on bigger minutes and roles. This would clearly be what 30-31 year olds Gordon Hayward and Isaiah Thomas would have to do in 2020-22 (again, assuming they are re-signed) as the Celtics mesh old with new and hopefully become the best team in the NBA.

Those Sonics also had a 23 year old Lonnie Shelton who was a no nonsense 12p/6r PF in the league for a decade and that type of player will probably be represented on the 2021 C's by the 27 year old Smart.

*24 year old Tom LaGarde, a rugged 6'10" center went down for the season after 23 games of 10p/8r ball in 26 mins per (prob the type of player a 24 yr old Zizic would be in 2021). Wally Walker was a marginally successful fringe rotation SF who was almost 25. Yabusele, Ojeleye or maybe a more seasoned college kid picked with the Kings or Grizz pick in 2019 if it landed outside the top 8 will probably have a role like his. The Celtics traded center Dennis Awtrey to Seattle to take the injured LaGarde's role for a '79 1st rd pick (later traded to NY who took Sly Williams). Walker and Awtry ended up as the Sonics 8th and 9th men for their playoff run who were of way less importance than I'd think the 8th and 9th man on the 2021-23 Celtics will be. Who knows, maybe Crowder or Morris is still here. Seattle had a 34 yr old Dick Snyder as their 10th man who pretty much never played. I'd think a slightly younger Jae or Morris would definitely be a more impactful player at that point.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 am

BleedGreen wrote:Swish,

I'm no spring chicken myself, but looking 3-4 years ahead has not failed me yet and as I said is always done realistically. To not look that far into the future at all or be negative about the club's future as it stands right now is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

I was a C's fan attending games on my dad's shoulders when Hondo was here, but cannot remember him. I can first remember my fan mindset about the future outlook of the team around the time Bird was drafted.

In 1981 I looked 3-5 years ahead and said, "wow these guys won't all be in their 30's until 1988, they will ABSOLUTELY be good for 5-6 more years" and I was right.

When Bias died, I was crushed. It would be like Jaylen becoming truly great this year or next and then passing away. Bias was by all accounts a ready made all-star. Jordan battled him in the ACC and said he'd have been his NBA equal for the next decade. But I looked 3-4 years ahead at the time and was still positive and said the best starting 5 in NBA history has a window of about that many years and should keep trying to win with the roster they have +/- some tweaks on the bench (I had this same outlook in 2007-08).

By 1988-89 things went sour. First when Bird got hurt, second when McHale could have become Shrempf and Perkins and third when Red blew the draft and did not take Tim Hardaway like it seemed EVERYBODY ELSE (myself included) wanted. I had a negative outlook of the teams next 3-5 years at this time. I felt they should have blown it up then and there.

This negative outlook for the near future remained through the years Gavitt didn't blow it up to go for top 5 picks in 1994-95 after Reggie died and when Pitino was not tanking in 1997-98 and was doing dumb things like taking Mercer over McGrady, trading Billups for Kenny Anderson and a '99 lotto pick for Potopenko.

Slick Rick and Gavitt were guys with one year plans when they needed to have 3-5 year plans and I despised them for it.

When Ainge was put in charge with a 3-5 year plan and a 25 year old superstar named Paul Pierce in the fold I finally began to have positive feelings about the C's near future again.

Bleed Green

" I'm no spring chicken myself, but looking 3-4 years ahead has not failed me yet and as I said is always done realistically. To not look that far into the future at all or be negative about the club's future as it stands right now is, quite frankly, ridiculous."

In regards to your above statement.
* Perhaps you have a special talent for predicting events 4 years into the future - good for you.
* I don't - I can't even predict how one team is going to fare
* I guess that if being hesitant about predicting how good the Celtics will be 4 years down the road makes me negative - then by all means feel free to label me as negative toward the the Celtic future. You see, I can't even handle predicting the fate of one teams future - let alone how 29 other teams are going to look, in relation, to the Celts 4 years from now.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:57 am

The league is already very impressed with Jaylen Brown.

Of course it is too early to anoint him a future all-star, let alone superstar, but I feel he is likely to be at least the one guy out of these 4 lotto pick gifts the C's will get 2016-19 who is almost a sure-thing to be carrying the load in the 2020's as IT and Hayward stay useful but pass the torch.

I see Brown's floor as being a slightly worse on D but slightly better on O Iguodala and slightly worse on O but better on D Jason Richardson. Such a player is likely to make a handful of all-star games and be able to support more of a true #1 scorer (Hayward and than Tatum?) in a variety of ways. Richardson scored over 15.6 pts in 9 seasons but was never an all-star. Iggy was an all-star just once but like Dennis Johnson has a finals MVP and is regarded by his superstar teammates as a clutch glue guy and great teammate the way Bird spoke of DJ. I see Brown as becoming that type of guy.

In keeping with this '79 Sonics comparison, the player the Celtics still need is a dominant young big like how Seattle had Jake Sikma. He was an all-star providing 15.6 pts and 12.4 rebs in 36 mins as a 23 year old in his 2nd season. This will be the hardest player for the Celtics to acquire and might make or break their ability to get banner #18.

I still think the Nets (or Lakers) 2018 pick if it lands top 5-6 will get them this guy. It just might have to come in the form of some ping pong ball magic as the Lakers and Nets are looking more like up and comers with no reason to tank who will be picking outside the top 5 this year.

If the C's get lucky this pick could be Mo Bamba, a Sam Dalembert (floor), Camby (middle) or Mutombo (ceiling) type big who will turn 23 during the 2021 playoffs, or DeAndre Ayton a Greg Monroe (floor), Parish (middle) or David Robinson (ceiling) type big who'd turn 23 right after the 2021 playoffs or Robert Williams a 2 year college kid who is only 6'9" but with a 7'5" wingspan who scouts say has McDyess/Kemp offensive potential with Ben Wallace and Dray Green type defensive potential, would've been a top 6 pick this year and will be 23 the entire 2020-21 season.

The C's need to get lucky and score such a player. 6'10" combo forward Marvin Bagley might now be eligible for the 2018 draft, making it a 6 player draft (and meaning Ainge will REALLY want to keep LA's pick if it is 6th). There are a couple of intriguing PF/C's who will go in the lotto but the drop after the top 6 guys is substantial and likely similar to the drop after the top 2-3 like you see most years.

If LA's pick gets pushed to 2019 it becomes the Kings #1 protected. The C's also have the Grizz's top 8 protected. At least one of these picks will probably convey in the 9-16 lotto range and I'd think the Celtics will either be looking for a very young hit or miss guy they stash or expect to be in Maine for 2 years (your James Young/Fab Melo types Ainge hopes to hit a homer with but rarely does), or they will take a more seasoned 2-3 year college kid they know can fit in on a loaded contender. Maybe be needed to take over Morris, Crowder, Rozier or Baynes role. Guys who fit that role we've seen drafted in this range the past few years are Olynyk, Elfrid Payton, Winslow, Nurkic, TJ Warren and Rozier himself. Although it seems like almost once a year a Giannis, Drummond, McCollum, Klay Thompson, Kawhi, Paul George, Steven Adams, Booker or Myles Turner potential star falls into this range. Wouldn't that be wild?
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:10 am

swish wrote:

Bleed Green

" I'm no spring chicken myself, but looking 3-4 years ahead has not failed me yet and as I said is always done realistically. To not look that far into the future at all or be negative about the club's future as it stands right now is, quite frankly, ridiculous."

In regards to your above statement.
     * Perhaps you have a special talent for predicting events 4 years into the future - good for you.
     * I don't - I can't even predict how one team is going to fare
     * I guess that if being hesitant about predicting how good the Celtics will be 4 years down the road makes me negative - then by all means feel free to label me as negative toward the the Celtic future. You see, I  can't even handle predicting the fate of one teams future - let alone how 29 other teams are going to look, in relation, to the Celts 4 years from now.

swish

Swish,

In regards to your above comment.

* Perhaps you did not read what my REALISTIC and not specific "looking 3-4 into the future" involved.

These were not precise predictions. They were, "This team has a 27 year old Parish, 25 year old Bird and 23 year old McHale, they will be contenders for the next 5 years if they all stay here and stay healthy" or "This team just watched 2 of those guys retire, one turn 40 and their only young all-star tragically die. They should NOT sign Xavier McD, Dominique, Purvis and Barros and try to win 42-48 games and should instead tank, save cash and pick top 5 in drafts with Kidd, Hill, KG, Sheed and Stackhouse." These are no-brainer realistic looks at the next 3-4 years from any given year in Celtic history. I hope in 1981 you were not thinking, "they could all blow out their knees or Red could trade them and we'll suck so I'm not going to think this title club has staying power" or in 1994 I hope you were not thinking, "Dominique! My God YES! now we can compete for a title! This is MUCH better than a top 5 pick in 1995..."

* Being hesitant to predict how the Celtics will be in 4 years does not make you negative. Saying you never involve yourself in such a practice b/c it is unrealistic and involves 'hopes' and 'prayers' and then informing everyone that this team might not be a title competitor for years to come and that the young kids and future lotto picks we're all so excited about could all still be busts... that makes you negative.

Again, 'predicting' that the Celtics will be contenders for 3-5 years based on everything we have just seen this club do the last 2-3 and assuming that more good than bad and at least one elite player will come out of two #3 picks and 2 more good ones coming is realistic. Thinking anything else is not as realistic thinking and is negative half glass empty talk I rarely hear these days from a fanbase that is extremely excited about the future.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 am

I am not counting out the C's due to the youthful nature of many on the team.  

There was a story my gramps talked about once when he too was young, him and some of the boys deciced to hit the beach back in June (the 6th to be exact) of 1944 and stretch  their legs a bit. He was three month shy of turning 20 himself and most the fellas with him were of the same age group.  They whooped the arses of the other team that day and kept it up for 11 more months.

Sure they don't make them like they used to, but old age and treachery I have learned simply cannot always beat youth and vigor..

I will only count our guys out of any game after about 47minutes and 59.9999 seconds of play, certainly not before said game has even been played.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:58 am

Matty wrote:I am not counting out the C's due to the youthful nature of many on the team.  

There was a story my gramps talked about once when he too was young, him and some of the boys deciced to hit the beach back in June (the 6th to be exact) of 1944 and stretch  their legs a bit. He was three month shy of turning 20 himself and most the fellas with him were of the same age group.  They whooped the arses of the other team that day and kept it up for 11 more months.

Sure they don't make them like they used to, but old age and treachery I have learned simply cannot always beat youth and vigor..

I will only count our guys out of any game after about 47minutes and 59.9999 seconds of play, certainly not before said game has even been played.

Matty,

Great point, greater story.

If youth can come out on top of that one starting in Normandy, an NBA season starting in a friendly U.S. location is no challenge at all in comparison.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 am

Matty,

Great story, but as my uncle (who was also happened to be on a beach in Normandy on June 6 of 1944) always used to say, "we were led by an amazing group of older, more mature and wiser military guys on every step of the way".

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:00 pm

One of the slightly older crowd that day was my dad who was one day shy of turning 25. He was on a mine sweeper just off that beach.

A TEAM consists of many disparate entities. The bigger the team, the more diversity gets included. Because it hasn't happened yet or not very often, doesn't mean it can't. There were a lot of factors at play on that day. Among them are the facts that the opposing team did not respond as well as they could have. The way the stats of the time would have predicted.

Statistics have their use but they are meaningless and irrelevant when it comes to human endeavor. When something has never happened before like coming back from 0-3 in a baseball playoff, it is only a matter of time before it happens. There are stats on that too. But they never show up for the game and play. Stats can be useful but when they are constantly used to negate Celtics teams of the past present and future, I just have to shake my head and curb my desire to respond. Basketball is, after all is said and done, just a game.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm

BleedGreen

Great analogy, I remember that Sonic team very well, because of my love for Paul Silas I was rooting for them. They also had a center Marvin Webster who was a big bust when he came to NY. That team did have a great blend of youth and veterans and depth. Thinking about them now, they should have had a longer run, but then Bird and Magic got in the league and instantly the league was never the same as Buss and Red created super teams.

The problem with this era is the crazy money being thrown at all these players and the cap, it's just so hard to keep players....Thunder should have been the next dynasty, made a key error, choosing to keep Ibaka over Harden. We have so many picks, contrary to swish, I love this, but we are going to have to do a major juggling act to keep all our young studs and key glue players, look how much Igoudala makes? Hopefully Danny can figure all this out, it's gonna be a fun ride and I think Jaylen is going to be much better than Igoudala and J Rich on both ends. I want him to start at the 2 and grow into the role.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:13 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:One of the slightly older crowd that day was my dad who was one day shy of turning 25. He was on a mine sweeper just off that beach.

A TEAM consists of many disparate entities. The bigger the team, the more diversity gets included. Because it hasn't happened yet or not very often, doesn't mean it can't. There were a lot of factors at play on that day. Among them are the facts that the opposing team did not respond as well as they could have. The way the stats of the time would have predicted.

Statistics have their use but they are meaningless and irrelevant when it comes to human endeavor. When something has never happened before like coming back from 0-3 in a baseball playoff, it is only a matter of time before it happens. There are stats on that too. But they never show up for the game and play. Stats can be useful but when they are constantly used to negate Celtics teams of the past present and future, I just have to shake my head and curb my desire to respond. Basketball is, after all is said and done, just a game.

That could and probably should be followed with something like "Your Honor, I rest my case."
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:26 pm

I think we are in a phenomenal position.

We lost Avery Bradley (BIG loss), Kelly Olynyk (an inconsistent bench player who teased us with his skill), Amir (solid but limited) and our Swedish Army Knife Jonas Jerebko.  We added Hayward (BIG plus for the offense, takes a lot of stress off of IT.  They can't triple team him anymore), Morris (Amir replacement?  Not as long, perhaps, but same height and very rugged.  Better offense too) and Aron Baynes (a bulldozer).  All in all I'd say we had a net increase in talent over last season.  Speaking of bulldozers, Smart AND Crowder are back too.

And then there's our youth.

Losing Bradley hurts like Hell but Rozier is coming into his own.  He had two years of guarding Avery Bradley (and probably IT too) in practice and has definitely grown each year.  It took AB almost 2 years before he was ready too.  Jaylen Brown's game improved post-ASG as his learning curve flattened out.  Tatum, an assassin.  25-year old Euro champion and DPOY Theis.  Zizic (what we had hoped Tyler Zeller would grow into, but never did).  Want some bruisers who can shoot the rock?  Take your pick of Semi Ojelaye or Guerschon Yabusele.  Sure, they're young and untested, but the depth and variety of skills sets is unreal.  Two #3 picks coming off the bench, one a quality defender and the other a quality scorer?

Starters

IT - 28 (29 in February)
Hayward - 27 (28 in March)
Horford - 31 (32 next June)
Crowder - 27
Smart - 23 (24 in March)

With the exception of Marcus Smart, who plays starter minutes anyway, that's a fairly veteran starting 5.

Bench
Rozier - 23 (24 in March.  3rd year)
Morris - 27 (28 in September).  If he starts and Crowder comes off the bench there is no drop off in experience or age.
Brown - 20 (21 in October.  2nd year)
Baynes - 30 (31 in December)

Brown is the youngest and lightest in experience, but the flattening of his learning curve last year was quite good in the 2nd half.  We have two solid, seasoned veterans in this group.  Also, one who has been impressive in two straight years of playoffs and another who has been working his butt off and, I am convinced, is going to take a step up.

There's 9 players with only 3 that are under 25.  A short bench, yes, but not ridiculously short.  Average age for those 9 as of 1/1/18?  26.55 years.  Compare that to the Bird teams, see how far off it is.

Then we have Theis, whom I am predicting will start off slow as he learns NBA plays and gets used to the different speeds of the play here but will be playing solid Jonas Jerebko minutes by the ASG.  He's already 25 and has played in championship games.  Tatum is the weakest link here because he will get minutes but is a true kid and rookie.  He's going to have that "deer in the headlight" look for the first few months like Jaylen did.  That's 11.

The rest are young but also won't see many minutes unless we see serious injuries needing extensive rehab to the first 11. If Shane Larkin makes the team he'll be 25 in October. 3 years NBA experience plus one in Europe. Young but not wet behind the ears neither.

In summary, the youth we have that will see minutes is already seasoned with the exception of Tatum.  The rest that will play are not that young.  Smart and Rozier don't play like kids anymore, especially Smart, and Larkin has experience too.

If we have a weakness it isn't with our age, it's with our lack of height, length and depth in our front court. We can afford injuries almost anywhere except up front. Horford, Baynes and Theis aren't enough for me to be comfortable.

Bagley III or Bamba will fix that last year and we've got a shot at them thanks to Danny.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Nice analysis bob - legitimate contender - long shot for a ring.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Matty wrote:I am not counting out the C's due to the youthful nature of many on the team.  

Matty

What the heck does the age (Unknown) of combatants at Normandy on June 6th 1944, have to do with the documented ages of players currently competing in the nba ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Bob,

I think that Morris starts most games and Smart comes off the bench, at least early in the season.

Other than that, nice post.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

I think that Morris starts most games and Smart comes off the bench, at least early in the season.  

gyso

gyso,

So, a one guard/3 wings/1big starting 5?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:56 pm

bobheckler wrote:

gyso

gyso,

bob

Morris is 6'9" he can play the 4 better than KO or Amir IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

gyso

gyso,

bob

Cow,

Gyso said Morris starts and Smart comes off the bench. That would change the starting 5 I listed to IT, Hayward, Crowder, Morris, Horford. Still only one guard in that 5.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:10 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

gyso

gyso,

bob

Cow,

Gyso said Morris starts and Smart comes off the bench.  That would change the starting 5 I listed to IT, Hayward, Crowder, Morris, Horford.  Still only one guard in that 5.

bob

if its up to me I add Jaylen as a 2 and replace Crowder

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm

bobheckler wrote:

gyso

gyso,

bob

Yes.

Hayward can swing small and play the 2. He can be one of the ball handlers.

Morris can swing big (as Cowens said) and plays the 4. He is tough enough.

Crowder can cover most 4s as well.

Horford is a good passer and is a multi-talented Swiss army knife. Sometimes he can be a ball handler.

Smart can do the most damage coming off the bench and he will be the bench point guard.

Last year we quite often ran a three guard offense. This year we will run a three wing offense. That is why we signed wing free agents and drafted wings.

As the season progresses, Brad will adjust the rotation, but I think this is where he will start out.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I think the starting team will be IT, Brown, Hayward, Morris and Horford.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 pm

red16russ11 wrote:I think the starting team will be IT, Brown, Hayward, Morris and Horford.

I can see those players starting later in the season, but not right out of the chute.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2