Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine.

+2
bobheckler
international
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine. Empty Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine.

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Germany opened win count at EuroBasket 2017. They defeated Ukraine for 1-0 record in Group B. Dennis Schroeder (181-PG-93) was pivotal with 32 points, 7 assists and 5 rebounds in the win.
Ukraine got to a strong start. They held Germany in check taking a 16:9 lead after ten minutes. But Germany tuned in offensively in the second period. They erupted for 30 points to take a 6-point halftime advantage 39:33. Germany dominated in the second half. They limited Ukraine to 14 points in the third term to open an 11-point lead. Germany outgunned their opponents in the fourth period and raced to the win. Robin Benzing (208-F-89) delivered 17 points for the winners. Olexandr Mishula (192-SG-92) sank 12 points for Ukraine. Artem Pustovyi (218-C-92, agency: Stanislav Ryzhov) had 11 points in the loss.

Germany: Dennis Schroeder 32, Robin Benzing 17, Johannes Voigtmann (211-C-92) 8
Uk
raine: Olexandr Mishula 12, Artem Pustovyi 11    .....Daniel Theis was the top rebounder of the game with 8, he also had 7 points.

international

Back to top Go down

Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine. Empty Re: Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine.

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm

http://www.eurobasket.com/Basketball-Box-Score.asp?Game=2017_0831_GER_UKR-European Championships

international

Back to top Go down

Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine. Empty Re: Germany opened the EuroBasket tournament with a victory against Ukraine.

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:43 pm

International,

As usual, thanks for providing your unique knowledge of, and attention to, global basketball to the board.

Do you know when this tournament will be over?  Schroder is an experienced NBA guard who is a starter in Atlanta.  Theis, however, is an NBA rookie.  I'm glad he's getting some game reps in but I'd also like to see him in Boston sooner rather than later so he can bond with the other players who have already shown up in Waltham and to spend some time learning out playbook.

Nice that he was the top rebounder.  We sure need that, big-time.  If he can rebound well for us and defend like he did in Europe he should get solid, predictable minutes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:49 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 2 hours ago
Solid game from C's new addition Daniel Theis in opening game of Eurobasket for Germany: 7 points and game-high 8 rebounds in 21 minutes.
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  I'll take 7 points and 8 boards in 21 minutes, no problemo.  Throw in that he is primarily known as an excellent defender, which isn't showing up in this boxscore highlight, and Danny might have pulled off a mini-coup here for almost no $.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Bob.
You are welcome.The first round of this tournament ends on September 7 ,Then comes the finals.There are 24 teams divided in 4 groups of 6 teams.There is a list of many Nba players like...The Gasol Brothers,The Hernangomez brothers,Goran Dragic,Zaza Pachulia,Dennis Schroeder,Mindaugas Kuzminkas,Jonas Valanciunas,Alex Abrines,Evan Fournier,Dario Saric,Dragan Bender, and others ,Luka Doncic is playing there too.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Kristaph Portzingis is playing on the tournament too.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:27 pm

https://youtu.be/7WkPqj76V-E

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 pm

international wrote:https://youtu.be/7WkPqj76V-E

International,

At first, I didn't know who to look for.  I'm not familiar enough with him yet to recognize him from a distant camera shot if I cannot see his number 10.

Then, in the first sequence, I saw a white guy just swallow up another guy who was trying to put a move on 3' from the rim.  Yep, sure enough, the defender was Theis.

I don't know about his BBIQ, I'm assuming if he's been playing professional basketball in almost any high quality pro league it can't be too bad, but if his IQ is good then his learning curve should flatten out nicely for us.  I've watched every piece of film on him you've provided and as much other film of him as I have been able to find since his signing was announced.  I think he could be a good one for us.

He's only 6'9"?  He looks longer.  Are the rest of the players out there in this game just shorter than NBA players, is that why he looks so long?  Unfortunately, Euros don't publish wingspans but he he looks like he has a good one.

bob
P.S.  I saw Dennis Schroder waving his towel on the bench when Theis grabbed a board and a putback.  Hopefully he's telling Theis about the NBA.  Theis is a banger. I think Cowens is really gonna love this kid. He doesn't look like he's afraid to stick his nose in for the ball.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Theis is a banger. I think Cowens is really gonna love this kid. He doesn't look like he's afraid to stick his nose in for the ball.

That's why I believe Horford, Baynes, and Theis are enough at the Center spot.

Celts don't need to sign another big for that 15th spot on the roster.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 pm

fierce wrote:Theis is a banger. I think Cowens is really gonna love this kid. He doesn't look like he's afraid to stick his nose in for the ball.

Fierce,

Suppose one of those 3 gets hurt? Or needs to take personal time off because they just had a baby or something like that? If one of them is out, for any reason, then Brad can't go big for very long because we'll only have 2 players and nobody to spell them.

We've got more shooters than a tequila bar. We need length.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Bob.
Theis is only 6-9 but with a wingspan of a 7 footer.
The Ukranian team has two players over 7 feet ,one is Slava Kravtsov 7-1 who played 2 seasons with the Phoenix Suns and currently is playing in China and the other is a 7-2 named Artem Purtovyi ,he is playing in Spain .This team was coached for 3 years by Mike Fratello and that team is full of good fundaments.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:38 pm

http://www.eurobasket.com/

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 pm

http://www.eurobasket.com/European-Championships/basketball.asp

international

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 pm

bobheckler wrote:
fierce wrote:Theis is a banger. I think Cowens is really gonna love this kid. He doesn't look like he's afraid to stick his nose in for the ball.

Fierce,

Suppose one of those 3 gets hurt?  Or needs to take personal time off because they just had a baby or something like that?  If one of them is out, for any reason, then Brad can't go big for very long because we'll only have 2 players and nobody to spell them.

We've got more shooters than a tequila bar.  We need length.

bob

Usually teams only have 3 bigs.

I just think it's best if the Celts not rush signing a big.
Keeping the roster spot open for flexibility is best in my opinion.

No need to rush.
I think the Celts can sign or trade for a big down the road.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 am

Bobby Jones-2.

the more I see of him, the more I think that is not only who he looks like build wise but his play also reminds me of Jones.

defensive first, good rebounder with high BB IQ.

offense limited to mostly inside.

I'm not saying Theis will be as good as Bobby Jones was, just that's who he reminds me of.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am

this may be when Danny decided to sign Theis?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

kdp59 wrote:Bobby Jones-2.

the more I see of him, the more I think that is not only who he looks like build wise but his play also reminds me of Jones.

defensive first, good rebounder with high BB IQ.

offense limited to mostly inside.

I'm not saying Theis will be as good as Bobby Jones was, just that's who he reminds me of.

kdp,

He shot 41% from 3 last year. He doesn't take a ton, he took 1.3 3pt fgas in 19mpg, but he hit a very nice %. The only year he shot under 36% was his rookie year, when he was 20 or so. Marcus Smart would kill for 36%. My money says he'll be taking a lot more after he feels comfortable. As we all know Brad is 3-happy. He wants players to go to their sweet-spots and shoot when they are open. As a relative unknown Theis will be left alone at the arc more than other, more well-scouted, players until he proves that's a mistake.

Bobby Jones could be a very good comparison, I'd certainly like to think he is like him, and Bobby Jones was one of the best defenders of his era.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/daniel-theis-1.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am

kdp59 wrote:this may be when Danny decided to sign Theis?

kdp,

Credit to Zizic for not giving up but that was, what? 3 straight blocks on dunks at the rim?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:37 am

Theis certainly got off the ground faster and higher than Zizic , at least in that series of plays.

he does seem to be  a quick leaper for sure, even on the second one.

is the Euro 3 line the same as the NBA? I thought it was shorter a bit.

I guess I am showing my age with the Bobby Jones comparisons though...
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 am

kdp59 wrote:Theis certainly got off the ground faster and higher than Zizic , at least in that series of plays.

he does seem to be  a quick leaper for sure, even on the second one.

is the Euro 3 line the same as the NBA? I thought it was shorter a bit.

I guess I am showing my age with the Bobby Jones comparisons though...

kdp,

Looks about the same. Can't be more than a few inches off.

Yeah, old age sneaks up on you, doesn't it? One minute you're the kid, next thing you know you're referring to everybody as "a kid". :-)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 am

For anyone interested in Theis, you can watch the games live (in German)
First a link to the schedule:
https://www.tz.de/sport/mehr/eurobasket-2017-basketball-em-live-im-tv-und-live-stream-8632660.html
Secondly a link to the game:
https://www.telekomsport.de/basketball/eurobasket2017

Theis came in a few minutes ago and promptly stole the ball from the man he was guarding and followed that up a little later with a slam dunk. He looks sensationally good.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 am

Berlin-T wrote:For anyone interested in Theis, you can watch the games live (in German)
First a link to the schedule:
https://www.tz.de/sport/mehr/eurobasket-2017-basketball-em-live-im-tv-und-live-stream-8632660.html
Secondly a link to the game:
https://www.telekomsport.de/basketball/eurobasket2017

Theis came in a few minutes ago and promptly stole the ball from the man he was guarding and followed that up a little later with a slam dunk. He looks sensationally good.

Berlin-T

Berlin,

What was that link we watched the games on last year again? I had to reboot my operating system and all my browser history got obliterated.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:45 am

Theis is a very intriguing player.

I went back and watched some highlights. We know that highlights only show the highlights and not the lowlights but it seems very apparent that he is going to be able to help Boston. I think he is an upgrade over Jerebko. He is fluid and plays above the rim.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Germany won again today vs Georgia and Zaza Pachulia.Daniel Theis had 6 points ,4 rebounds and 5 STEALS in 19 minutes.Pachulia had 14 points and 8 boards in 28 minutes, Giorgi Shemardini a 7-2 center had 5 points and 2 rebounds in 19 minutes.Germany is undefeated with 2-0.Dennis Schroder was the best scorer again with 23 points.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 pm

international wrote:Germany won again today vs Georgia and Zaza Pachulia.Daniel Theis had 6 points ,4 rebounds and 5 STEALS in 19 minutes.Pachulia had 14 points and 8 boards in 28 minutes, Giorgi Shemardini a 7-2 center had 5 points and 2 rebounds in 19 minutes.Germany is undefeated with 2-0.Dennis Schroder was the best scorer again with 23 points.

Theis is #10, in red.  He gets a breakaway dunk @ :56

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next