Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010

+3
worcester
Brandon$$
dboss
7 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010 Empty Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010

Post by dboss Sat May 01, 2010 11:19 pm

I can take no solace in the spectacular game played by Rajon Rondo.

The Celtics fumbled this one away down the stretch when they needed to just compose themselves.

Key moments // the missed put back by Garnett, the off my leg play by baby, the I can't hold onto the ball by Perkins off a great pass for a bunny from Rondo, the offensive rebound by Perk and kick out to PP for a 3 point attempt early in the shot clock. A lack of execution at both ends did the Celtics in.

And how about those damn refs? The Cavs enjoyed a 31-21 free throw advantage because they just made bad call after bad call. The league should take a look at this one. The offensive call on Rondo when he took it to Moe Williams, the I put my fingertips on JJ hickson call against baby, the numerous no calls that allowed the cavs to hack away. The non calls against lebron when he clearly travels or creats offensive fouls. The thuggery of the hits that Rajon absorbed all night long and especially the gutless hit that Shaq put on him because...well no one could keep him from getting to the hole.

the Celtics bench was pretty much a non factor because baby got in early foul trouble and just kept making too many errors when he got back in.

If we were wondering if Sheed can help this team, this first game makes that prospect unlikely. What a disappointment he has been.

We can still get a split but mark this one down as an opportunity lost. We had em and let them off the mat.

The Way sheed is playing I would be very tempted to use Sheldon Williams if nothing else but to have more fouls to give and add some life to the 2nd unit.

PP started off nice but lost his touch and looked slower and slower as the game progresses. his 5-17 stat line was ugly.

Rondo carried this team into a nice halftime lead and was determined to get his playmates the ball in the 2nd half. This strategy backfire as the big three had less than spectacular nights at both ends.

If Boston wants to take the ball out of Lebron's hands they will need to put the trap on and just force him to give it up. Other than Moe's 3rd quarter streak the Cavs really had no one that was knocking down shots.

For game 2 we need to see more poise...and anpther healthy dose of Rajon Rondo.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010

Post by Brandon$$ Sat May 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Rasheed Wallace looked ssslllooowww tonight. At a time when we needed energy off the bench desperately w/big baby in foul trouble, we got nothing from Sheed.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Celtics lose opener to the Cavs 101-93 5/1/2010

Post by worcester Sat May 01, 2010 11:34 pm

DBOSS, Your comments were very apt. I was greatly disappointed that Doc or someone put the ball in Paul's hands during the last 2 minutes when he'd gone 1-12 previously. Otherwise Rondo played great. Kevin and Ray turned in really good games, and I think Paul got worn down guarding LeBron to be much of a factor offensively in the late going. Perk has so little sense on offense and too rarely anticipates the pass. What else is new?
Still, I think we can beat this Cleveland team.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Sat May 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Did anyone else see when in the 4th quarter I believe, in transition Rajon Rondo drove to the hoop and kicked the ball out to an open Ray Allen for a 3 when the C's I think were down by 6... and a ref was right in front of Ray Allen?! Which made him pass up the wide open 3! Shocked
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat May 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Not only was the ref in front of Ray. The ref raised his arm to si=gnal the shot would be a 3 and Ray that the ref was a defender obstructing his shot so he passed the ball away.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun May 02, 2010 12:03 am

I haven't ragged on Sheed before tonight, as he is so darn good when he is good I've been holding out for him to come through.

Tonight though he looked as if Div 2 college ball would have been too much for him. Time for the pine I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun May 02, 2010 12:32 am

If Paul Pierce does not step up against James - we have NO CHANCE. Period.

The only players that really played hard tonight were Rondo, Tony Allen and Baby.

Perk has regressed big time as the season has gone along. Such a disappointment.

Celtics had this game in hand...and let it slip away. This was their chance to steal one in Cleveland. Opportunity lost.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun May 02, 2010 12:38 am

on the bright side we played them very tough in their building and could have won. PP and Ray got to do more and Rondo has to check mo hard and stay out of foul trouble. I am not discouraged too bad. We could not have played worse down the stretch and we were right there.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun May 02, 2010 7:00 am

We\played tough for most of the game. With 5-6 minutes to go in the third we were still up 11. And we had 2 chances to extend the lead and got 2 turnovers instead.

We did keep them off the boards pretty well.

Shaq getting in foul trouble actually hurt us more than them.

Not to bitch a lot about the official BUT the Ray thing was a joke as was the offensive foul on Rondo, if anything that should have been an AND ONE!

And what about Bron, every drive looking for a foul EVERY time and a couple times you could here him yell AND ONE.

We can win this no doubt, but we need effor t for 48 not 34 minutes.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 02, 2010 9:22 am

I'm agreeing with all the the comments here especially the fact that we can win this one no doubt.

There must be a few adjustments made in game 2.

First when Perk goes to the bench, bringing baby in to guard Shaq is a big (literally) mismatch. I would (gulp) put Sheed in the game first as a post defender on Shaq. I would use baby when Varejao or Hickson are in the game.

If Baby gets in foul trouble again then I would put Williams in the game. All 5 of their bigs played so we need to be able to counter what they do.

Rajon Rondo needs to keep the ball in his hands. He deferred to PP in the 4th quarter and it was a disaster. The Celtics only scored 15 4th qtr points.

Lebron James is going to score a lot of points. PP cannot check lebron James and neither can any other Celtics player. The Celtics rotations to help him were too slow in the 4th quarter. We have to turn him into a passer or make him take tough shots.

I think the Celtics settled for the outside shot way too much down the stretch instead of getting to the rim. PP was 1-6 from behind the arc and Ray Allen shot 2-7 for the game and their combined 4th qtr showing was a dismal 1-5.

With 3:26 in the 4th it was 91-92 Cleveland. We still had a great shot to close this one out.

Ray Allen ended up with only 1 personal foul and PP had 3 fouls. I would say they could have been more physical. Our captain left the ship with 2,3 and 4 (rebounds, assists and turnorvers. PP must play better.

This series is a chess match.

Most impressive stat was Rondo going 12-14 from the line. For the 6 games played in the playoffs Rondo is 27-32 and shooting .844 from the line. This is a pretty amazing improvement in his free throw shooting. We have talked about this all year. Does anybody want to bench him now because he may miss a free throw?

Also of interest in the first game was the matchup between KG and Jamison. Round 1 goes to KG and Boston needs to exploit that option more. KG led the team in shot attempts 9-20 and if he made that bunny tip in near the end this game may have turned out differently. Cleveland cannot stop Boston in the post so both KG and Sheed need to make more noise down there.

Secondly the Rajon Rondo against who ever they have is a huge advantage for the Celtics. Rajon could have went for 40 last night if he wanted to. But he wanted to let the other guys get more involved and that strategy backfired. At some point this team must accept the fact that Rajon Rondo is the best all around player on this team and is the only player on this team that is truly unstoppable.

The notion that we have to go to the big 3 may not work this time around.
In other words I would rather have Rondo with the ball in his hands down the stretch than either PP or Ray Allen because it gives you more options. The Celtics have to trust in him that he will make the right play.

More to come as I continue to ponder this wonderful game called basketball!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down