Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by dboss on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

The Lakers are projected to finish 8 from the bottom which seems about right. They of course have great expectations for becoming a good team but as we know the west is unforgiving

They will be a lottery team again. The unknown bounce of the ping pong balls will be intriguing for me.

The odds that LA finishes 8th and moves up to #2 are long. The #8 team has moved up to the 2nd overall pick two times, last in 2001. But Boston would be more than happy if they move up to 5, 4, or 3 as well.

These numbers are all highly speculative because we do not know for sure where LA will end up after the season and then we do not know if they will move up or down or remain where they are.

Will luck strike two years in a row for the Celtics? We will not know until June, 2018 but in the meantime it is fun to imagine an opportunity to land that elite level PF/C. That is the missing piece for our long term competitive goal. And Danny may covet and opportunity to select in the top 5 enough to trade up and use future picks to do so.

dboss





avatar
dboss

Posts : 6543
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by tjmakz on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.
avatar
tjmakz

Posts : 3592
Join date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by bobheckler on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:22 pm

tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.

TJ,

We also get the pick if it is #4 or #5 too. The odds have to be better for them.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 33530
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by dboss on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:46 pm

tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.


TJ

I think they are probably better than 5th worst.  They however are likely to be a lotto team again.  From there it is about the ping pong balls.  

Dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6543
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:57 pm

A lot of teams in the east that are NOT better than the Lakers will have better records than the Lakers because they're playing in the east.

Playoff teams from last season, like ATL(Millsap), CHI(Butler), and IND(George), all lost their star players to the western conference.
So clearly the talent level of the west is far superior than the east this coming season.

Lakers will have to face Westbrook and George multiple times.
Same with the Nuggets with Millsap, Butler, Towns, and Wiggins with the Wolves, CP3 and Harden with the Rockets, and other teams with multiple All-Stars.

The Lakers will most likely end up one of the 5 worst teams in the league this coming season because they play in the west.

Still not convinced?

How about the Lakers playing the Warriors, Spurs, LAC, Blazers, and Griz multiple times?

The point is the western conference is so good it will be difficult for the Lakers to even come close to being a #8 seed.

Even the Pels and Mavs are going to be difficult to beat.

Only team in the west that I think is not better than the Lakers is the Kings.
The Suns, Lakers, and Jazz are on the same level.
So in my estimate, the Lakers' 2018 pick will be in the top 4 or top 5.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Fierce I hope your right!!
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11909
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by tjmakz on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.

TJ,

We also get the pick if it is #4 or #5 too.  The odds have to be better for them.


bob


.

Bob,

If the Lakers have the 6th - 14th worst record, the Celtics can only get the Lakers pick if they jump to #2 or #3.
I think the Lakers will play much next season, but not make a he playoffs.
avatar
tjmakz

Posts : 3592
Join date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.

TJ,

We also get the pick if it is #4 or #5 too.  The odds have to be better for them.


bob


.

Bob,

If the Lakers have the 6th - 14th worst record, the Celtics can only get the Lakers pick if they jump to #2 or #3.
I think the Lakers will play much next season, but not make a he playoffs.

If the Lakers pick is #2, #3, #4, or #5, Celts will get it.

Celts will not get the pick if it's #1, #6, or lower.

Maybe the Lakers will play better next season, especially with the addition of Brook Lopez, but the western conference got a huge upgrade in talent.

A team of Lopez, Randle, Ingram, KCP, Ball, Clarkson, Zubac, and Brewer will be inferior compared to middle of the pack teams like the Nuggets, Griz, and Clips.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by bobheckler on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.

TJ,

We also get the pick if it is #4 or #5 too.  The odds have to be better for them.


bob


.

Bob,

If the Lakers have the 6th - 14th worst record, the Celtics can only get the Lakers pick if they jump to #2 or #3.
I think the Lakers will play much next season, but not make a he playoffs.

TJ,

Fierce is correct.  If the Lakers have pick #2, 3, 4 or 5 the Celtics own it.  They could finish with the  10th worst record but get the #5 pick because of the pingpong balls.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 33530
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 am

As of right now, the top 5 picks of the 2018 Draft are Porter Jr. #1, Bagley III, Ayton, Bamba, and Doncic #5.
That's according to nbadraft.net.

IMO, 4 out of the 5 players are #1 picks if they belonged in another draft class.
Only Doncic is not worthy of the #1 pick, IMO.

Celts will most likely once again hit the jackpot if the Celts get any of the 4 among Porter, Bagley, Ayton, and Bamba.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by tjmakz on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:00 am

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.

TJ,

We also get the pick if it is #4 or #5 too.  The odds have to be better for them.


bob


.



Bob,

If the Lakers have the 6th - 14th worst record, the Celtics can only get the Lakers pick if they jump to #2 or #3.
I think the Lakers will play much next season, but not make a he playoffs.

TJ,

Fierce is correct.  If the Lakers have pick #2, 3, 4 or 5 the Celtics own it.  They could finish with the  10th worst record but get the #5 pick because of the pingpong balls.


bob


.

Sorry Bob, this is not correct.
Ping pong balls only determine picks 1-3.
If the Lakers finish with the 6th -14th worst record, Boston can only get the Lakers pick if it's 2 or 3.
avatar
tjmakz

Posts : 3592
Join date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Most likely the Lakers won't be one of the worst 5 teams, but we don't know. That means they would have to move up to 2 or 3 for Boston to keep that pick.
If the Lakers  finished with the eighth worst worst record, that would give Boston a 3.3% chance at the #2 pick and a 3.9% chance at the #3 pick.

TJ,

We also get the pick if it is #4 or #5 too.  The odds have to be better for them.


bob


.



Bob,

If the Lakers have the 6th - 14th worst record, the Celtics can only get the Lakers pick if they jump to #2 or #3.
I think the Lakers will play much next season, but not make a he playoffs.

TJ,

Fierce is correct.  If the Lakers have pick #2, 3, 4 or 5 the Celtics own it.  They could finish with the  10th worst record but get the #5 pick because of the pingpong balls.


bob


.

Sorry Bob, this is not correct.
Ping pong balls only determine picks 1-3.
If the Lakers finish with the 6th -14th worst record, Boston can only get the Lakers pick if it's 2 or 3.

I understand what you're saying.
But you're assuming the Lakers would be 6th-14th next season.
That's very unlikely because the western conference is so talented.

Besides, there's really a chance the Lakers will end up picking 4th or 5th if they finish with the 3rd worst record or 4th worst record next season.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by tjmakz on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 am

This thread was started by dboss about the Lakers being projected to finish with the 8th worst record. I think that's a fair estimation on where they will finish.
I think LA will be much better this season and will be better than Phoenix, NY, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago, Orlando, and Dallas. That would put them 8th.
With the lottery probably changing for 2019, I think there will be a race to the bottom for the number one pick for 2018 for at least five or six teams.
The Lakers won't be one of them.
avatar
tjmakz

Posts : 3592
Join date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:17 am

tjmakz wrote:This thread was started by dboss about the Lakers being projected to finish with the 8th worst record. I think that's a fair estimation on where they will finish.
I think LA will be much better this season and will be better than Phoenix, NY, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago, Orlando, and Dallas. That would put them 8th.
With the lottery probably changing for 2019, I think there will be a race to the bottom for the number one pick for 2018 for at least five or six teams.
The Lakers won't be one of them.

Lakers won't be in the race for #1 because they don't own the pick.

I disagree that the Lakers will have the 8th worst record because of the fact that the western conference is very strong next season.

Brooklyn will be a 9th or 10th seed in the east because of weak competition in the east.

Dallas is always competitive because of Rick Carlisle.

Orlando will definitely improve.

NY will also be better, even if Melo leaves.

Atlanta might be weak on paper but they have a good coach.

I do agree that Chicago will be weak.

So I think the Lakers will be 4th to 6th worst next season.

It's a different story if the Lakers were in the east.
If the Lakers were in the east, I would agree would you that they would be 8th worst.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by tjmakz on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:29 am

fierce wrote:
tjmakz wrote:This thread was started by dboss about the Lakers being projected to finish with the 8th worst record. I think that's a fair estimation on where they will finish.
I think LA will be much better this season and will be better than Phoenix, NY, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago, Orlando, and Dallas. That would put them 8th.
With the lottery probably changing for 2019, I think there will be a race to the bottom for the number one pick for 2018 for at least five or six teams.
The Lakers won't be one of them.

Lakers won't be in the race for #1 because they don't own the pick.

I disagree that the Lakers will have the 8th worst record because of the fact that the western conference is very strong next season.

Brooklyn will be a 9th or 10th seed in the east because of weak competition in the east.

Dallas is always competitive because of Rick Carlisle.

Orlando will definitely improve.

NY will also be better, even if Melo leaves.

Atlanta might be weak on paper but they have a good coach.

I do agree that Chicago will be weak.

So I think the Lakers will be 4th to 6th worst next season.

It's a different story if the Lakers were in the east.
If the Lakers were in the east, I would agree would you that they would be 8th worst.

When Boston had Brooklyn's pick, you kept talking about a good chance that Boston could have the top 2 picks in the draft.
Now that Cleveland has the Brooklyn pick, you are saying that Brooklyn will have the 9th or 10th pick worst record.
That analysis of Brooklyn changed quickly right after the Cleveland/Boston trade...

We will have to agree to disagree.
I feel strongly that LA will finish as the 8th or 9th worst team.
You are saying 4-6.
We will see who is correct or closer to correct.
avatar
tjmakz

Posts : 3592
Join date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by dboss on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Maybe we need another poll.

Will the Lakers suck again
Do you want them to suck again.  Use a number system 1-14.  1 meaning you REALLY want them to suck regardless.  Keep in mind the ping pong balls are random.

I'm going with #1 with a belligerent leaning.

Dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6543
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by gyso on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 pm

1

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 11469
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by dboss on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:55 pm

gyso wrote:1
There ya go!

Dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6543
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 pm

tjmakz wrote:
fierce wrote:
tjmakz wrote:This thread was started by dboss about the Lakers being projected to finish with the 8th worst record. I think that's a fair estimation on where they will finish.
I think LA will be much better this season and will be better than Phoenix, NY, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago, Orlando, and Dallas. That would put them 8th.
With the lottery probably changing for 2019, I think there will be a race to the bottom for the number one pick for 2018 for at least five or six teams.
The Lakers won't be one of them.

Lakers won't be in the race for #1 because they don't own the pick.

I disagree that the Lakers will have the 8th worst record because of the fact that the western conference is very strong next season.

Brooklyn will be a 9th or 10th seed in the east because of weak competition in the east.

Dallas is always competitive because of Rick Carlisle.

Orlando will definitely improve.

NY will also be better, even if Melo leaves.

Atlanta might be weak on paper but they have a good coach.

I do agree that Chicago will be weak.

So I think the Lakers will be 4th to 6th worst next season.

It's a different story if the Lakers were in the east.
If the Lakers were in the east, I would agree would you that they would be 8th worst.

When Boston had Brooklyn's pick, you kept talking about a good chance that Boston could have the top 2 picks in the draft.
Now that Cleveland has the Brooklyn pick, you are saying that Brooklyn will have the 9th or 10th pick worst record.
That analysis of Brooklyn changed quickly right after the Cleveland/Boston trade...

We will have to agree to disagree.
I feel strongly that LA will finish as the 8th or 9th worst team.
You are saying 4-6.
We will see who is correct or closer to correct.

Agree!

avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by worcester on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Vegas bookies predict the Lakers will win 32.5 games, tied with the Knicks for 6th worst record in the NBA behind Chicago, the Nyets, Phoenix, Pacers, and Kings.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 4954
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by bobheckler on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:31 am

worcester wrote:Vegas bookies predict the Lakers will win 32.5 games, tied with the Knicks for 6th worst record in the NBA behind Chicago, the Nyets, Phoenix, Pacers, and  Kings.


Worcester,







bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 33530
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by wideclyde on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am

For the Lakers to reach the Vegas number of 32 wins they are going to have to: surprise many times when playing the teams in their own conference and nearly sweep each of the two game series against the teams in the East.

I just do not see them surprising many of the better Western Conference teams on many given nights, and can see them getting swept by six or even eight teams in conference and then winning only one against several other teams. Their four games each against the Suns and Kings may end up making or breaking their entire season which then becomes very important to the Cs potential draft pick situation.

The Lakers are not likely to sweep the Cavs, Wizards, Celtics and the Raptors in the East and could be swept by each of these teams. The Knicks, Pistons, Nets, Hawks, Magic and Bulls could be swept by the Lakers, but they also could all end up in series splits (1-1) much more likely.

Of course, timing of all games for every team (back to backs, long road trips, etc, etc) come into play just as injuries may to determine some wins and losses along the way, but I really see the Lakers with between 18 and 25 wins in 2018 which should give the Cs a great chance at getting a top 5 pick next June.

wideclyde

Posts : 1217
Join date : 2015-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by kdp59 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:14 pm

OR

we may get gold with the Kings pick in 2019!!

avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3193
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by fierce on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:32 pm

kdp59 wrote:OR

we may get gold with the Kings pick in 2019!!


Also true.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 812
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by k_j_88 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:50 pm

The Lakers are going to lose a lot of games in the West by virtue of there being so many high win total teams out there. I also expect them to struggle against the playoff teams of the East. I haven't looked at their schedule yet but I think the pick will actually be a very good one.


KJ
avatar
k_j_88

Posts : 4286
Join date : 2013-01-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum