Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lakers Pick Could Be Golden

Post by dboss on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 pm

bobheckler wrote:I want to see more of Brandon Ingram before I call him a bust.  He did not have a good rookie year, despite getting all the minutes he could ask for (personally, I don't think throwing rookies into the fire and let them get their brains beat in night-in-night-out is a good learning environment but when your team sucks you gotta pump your fans up by giving them hope and that means strutting your top picks) but that is just one year, his first year.  He just turned 20 in September.

This is a big year for him, though.  He needs to prove that his stringbean body can compete in this man's league.  Rumor is he added an inch over this year.  If he didn't put on a ton of weight  that could make things even worse.  His problem last year wasn't that he was too short, that's Randle's problem, his problem was that he's a matchstick man.  I have similar concerns about Jayson Tatum, to be honest, but compared to 6'10"+, 195# Brandon Ingram 6'8", 206# Jayson Tatum is Arnold Schwarzenneger.

bob

Two obvious issues with Ingram.  First he is very underdeveloped from a physical standpoint.  He will get stronger even if he does not put on a lot more pounds but in either case he is probably two to three years away from having 'man strength'

That however has no bearing on his shooting.  His mechanics are fundamentally flawed.  He had that same ill advised hitch in his jumper in college and I have not seen any noticeable correction.

He played 28 MPG last year after being drafted # 2.  He sure looks like a bust to me given his draft position.  He shot a dreadful 29% from behind the arc and a horrible 62% from the line.  Those number are not by accident.  I'm telling you he is a fundamentally flawed shooter for a guy that was being compared to the next Kevin Durant.  Thus far he has as much potential to be a bust as he does to be a good player.  High end production seems remote.

Maybe referring to him as a bust so soon is unfair.  But so what because he looks like a bust to me.  

dboss

Last edited by dboss on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm

After one year, a small sample size I admit, I would take Jaylen Brown over Brandon Ingram. This year, I hope, will make more fans have this opinion.
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 pm

red16russ11 wrote:After one year, a small sample size I admit, I would take Jaylen Brown over Brandon Ingram.  This year, I hope, will make more fans have this opinion.

Agree. But he still was a bust the first year. Brown does not have physical frailties and he shot the ball better even given his rather limited playing time. Maybe this year he will play better but I doubt it because Ingram has done little to correct the mechanics.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:02 pm

so so glad we have Brown instead of Ingram, could you imagine a frontline of Ingram, KO and Zeller? OMG and Ingram, Randle and Lopez who is already injured, is pretty close in the Charmin dept.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 pm

bob

Ingram's strengths in college included speed and quickness.

If Ingram adds more weight then he will be not as fast and not as quick.
That takes away one of his advantages of being a 6-9 player that's fast and quick.

Besides shooting, Ingram does not have an NBA body.

Just look at how Jaylen Brown can score even if he's hit or bumped.
Brandon Ingram can't do that.
When Ingram gets hit or bumped, he becomes off-balanced, so he ends up missing or putting up a bad shot.

The level of competition in the NBA and in college is very different.
That's why one former Duke player, Danny Ferry, was considered the next the Larry Bird in college and just role player in the NBA.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:18 am

I think it's way early to declare Ingram a bust. Seems many of the things said about him were said of Durant early also. I am only comparing them because they have similar body types.
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am

kdp59 wrote:I think it's way early to declare Ingram a bust. Seems many of the things said about him were said of Durant early also. I am only comparing them because they have similar body types.

KD and Ingram may have the same body type, but Ingram is not as good as KD in shooting the ball and Ingram is not as explosive as KD.

As a rookie, you could already see the greatness of KD.
Can't say the same for Brandon Ingram.

Ingram is a beneficiary of the Duke system where coach K maximized his strengths.

Brandon Ingram is more Perry Jones III than Kevin Durant.

If Ingram was picked outside the lottery then he won't be considered a bust.
But since he's the #2 pick of the 2016 Draft, he's a bust.

Best case scenario is Ingram sticks and he ends up having a career similar to that of Danny Ferry, who was also the #2 pick of the 1989 Draft.

fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top