Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jahlil-okafor-drunk-during-boston-010002596.html

Dan Feldman,NBC Sports 12 hours ago

Joel Embiid just got a max contract extension.

Another 76ers center, Jahlil Okafor, is still trying to rehab his image after he got caught on video fighting on the streets of Boston in 2015 (and getting in another fight and speeding and allegedly trying to use a fake ID and playing ineffective defense and…).

Okafor opened up about that Boston fight and his place in Philadelphia.

Okafor, via Jordan Brenner of SB Nation:

“We were almost about to win that game against the Celtics and it ended up getting away from us in the fourth quarter,” Okafor says of that night in Boston. “I remember just being upset because I thought we were about to get our first win. And I just decided I’m going to go out that night. I don’t remember a lot of it, because I was really intoxicated. And me being drunk, I wasn’t in my right state of mind. I remember being taunted — just random stuff I would hear all the time on the court. I just reacted differently.” Those early experiences hardened Okafor. He was shocked when the speeding ticket became major news, then again when a rumor spread that he’d used a fake ID at a bar near his house, an allegation he vehemently denies.

“I’m unsure if I’m still on the team,” Okafor says now. “Am I really a part of this process? Am I really a part of this culture? That’s why the guys have been out there on social media, but I’ve just kind of been in the dark. I’ll go to a Sixers event, smile, take pictures with the kids and stuff like that, but I’m still thinking, ‘am I a part of this team?’”

The 76ers are openly shopping Okafor. They signed Amir Johnson when they already had Okafor and Richaun Holmes behind Embiid.

I don’t blame Okafor for feeling lost.

He obviously hasn’t always handled it the optimal way, but his anguish is understandable. He’d probably be better off with a fresh start elsewhere, and Philadelphia clearly wants to move on. It’s just a matter of finding the right trade.

For now, Okafor should focus on controlling what he can control. Easier said than done, though.

bob
MY NOTE: He's Dwight Howard, 10-15 years too late. I'm sure Okafor and Shaq would have had epic battles in the blocks but those days are gone, at least for his era. When Charlotte plays Philly, if Embiid is out and the match Okafor up against Howard, it will be like watching One Million Years, B.C., except without Raquel Welch (in which case, what's the point?).

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

Post by Matty on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Good point in the notes bob.
Matty

Back to top Go down

Re: Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

Post by wideclyde on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Okafor is just another young guy who is trying to justify his poor behavioral choices.  His first poor choice was underage drinking and then followed it up by fighting in public.  Blaming alcohol is a pretty standard excuse for behaviors like fighting.  Alcohol consumption is also more accepted as an excuse than it should be, but this kid needed to man up and take responsibility to much better get my attention.

I am quite sure that he is not the third or fourth center on the 'ers roster because he got into a little fight last year in Boston, but much more due to his lack of efforts to become much more "NBA usable" in this new age of NBA play.  He was a very high draft pick so he must have the talent to make his weaker areas at least somewhat stronger.

Work on your outside shot, big fella.  Get someone to better teach you to do a better job on defense to include putting in more effort and hustle.  If nothing else, getting better may help make another team more interested in your services even if you never can take playing time from Embiid in Philly.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Okafor is another example of many young players not being ready for life in the NBA.  It's not a question of talent, guys like Okafor have more than enough.  It's maturity. They get a lot thrown their way in a short time at a young age.  Anyone else care to imagine what they would have done in Okafor's place at his age?  I'll be the first to admit I'd have been a hot mess that would make Okafor look highly polished in comparison.

Okafor will be fine.  He's intelligent enough to know he needs to watch himself and get after it on the court.  He's got everything that's needed to be an outstanding inside presence on the offensive end, and his defense is better than what is often claimed.  A little work on defensive positioning and reaction and he's set.  Bigs like Okafor aren't going to disappear from basketball.  He'll have a good long career, but somewhere other than Philadelphia.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top