+3
RosalieTCeltics
k_j_88
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens ready to tip things off Empty Brad Stevens ready to tip things off

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/10/celtics_notebook_brad_stevens_ready_to_tip_things_off

Celtics notebook: Brad Stevens ready to tip things off

Steve Bulpett Sunday, October 15, 2017

Brad Stevens ready to tip things off 092617celticsmw001
Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens, right, coaches at Celtics camp at Salve Regina University on Tuesday, September 26, 2017. Staff Photo by Matt West

WALTHAM — On just the 19th day since he first took the floor for the start of training camp, Brad Stevens was hoping he got in enough — but not too much — preparation for Tuesday’s regular-season opener in Cleveland.

“When you’re a coach, you’re so excited for the first day of training camp,” he said. “There’s always that desire to build Rome in a day. And with this group specifically, I felt like we really had to focus on what was best to put in early that we could then build off of that would allow us to play with a clear mind as soon as possible.

“I know that’s a lot, but I think we’ve got a good foundation.”

Thinking more of the younger Celts, Stevens then made a statement that could apply to all, considering he is beginning this year with four new starters and 10 new players of 14 on the roster.

“I don’t know if there’s anything that will prepare you for it until you’re in it,” the coach said. “Our deal is to try to prepare for what we’re trying to accomplish on both ends of the floor — so how do we want to play on both ends of the floor or what are our responsibilities. We try to build those into habits, so when those lights come on, it’s something you’re doing almost unconsciously.”

Looking ahead to Cleveland Tuesday, a home game against Milwaukee Wednesday and a Friday affair in Philadelphia, Stevens said, “Obviously next week’s a really tough week for us. We play in three home openers, so ultimately it’s going to be that kind of excitement and that kind of buzz everywhere we go, and we’ve got to play well to start our season well.”

Dream debut

Jayson Tatum may be slow and measured with his words, but his eyes will likely be a little wide when he faces the Cavaliers.

“I used to watch LeBron (James) on TV growing up,” he said, “and playing my first game against him, it’s a lot.”

Tatum acknowledged that he grew up thinking about playing against James. Asked the outcome of those daydreams, he smiled and said, “It went good in my head.”

Overall, the rookie said, “I’m getting anxious. I’m excited to get the regular season started.” As for what his teammates have told him, he said, “Basically that the regular season and preseason are just like night and day, and it’s going to be a totally different ballgame.”

Tatum got a little uber-veteran help when Paul Pierce came in to have a conversation with him that aired on ESPN.

“That was pretty cool to have him up here and talking a little history about when he was on the team and some of the things he went through,” Tatum said.

On the comparisons between the two, he added, “Pretty high expectations. He was one of the best players to ever play, especially in Boston. I mean, it’s an honor to be in the same sentence as his name.”

Baynes questionable

Aron Baynes went through a full practice after hyperextending his left knee in last Monday’s game against Philadelphia and missing the preseason finale in Charlotte Wednesday.

“I’m doing well considering how I felt the other night and even two days ago,” he said. “I’ve been able to get out here and run around a bit with the fellas, so it’s always good. Yeah, the old bloke’s not doing too bad.”

On if he’ll play Tuesday, he said, “I definitely think I’m on track for that. It’s still day to day, but I’m going to go out on a limb here — literally — and say I should be available.”

Baynes then laughed and added, “Love a good pun.

“It’s just a little bit slower than the other leg right now, but today being out there and going live should get me back on track.”

Looking back on the injury, Baynes said, “Actually a minute before I got hurt, I got scratched in the eye, so it was a bit blurry. So I didn’t see so much going on, and I should have seen Guerschon (Yabusele) coming through because he puts his whole body on the line every play. He kind of came through me a bit with one of his defenders, so they hit my leg front on and just hyperextended it a little bit. I felt the full force of Guerschon on that play, but it’s all good. It’s one of those things. If I hadn’t been hit in the eye, I would have been able to step out of the way. I would have seen it coming.”

Ochefu on board

The Celtics signed 6-foot-11 center Daniel Ochefu Friday after he was cut by Washington and cleared waivers. The C’s planned to cut him yesterday and have him play with their G-League affiliate in Maine. In fact, after yesterday’s Celtics practice, Ochefu was working out with the Red Claws’ coaches.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens ready to tip things off Empty Re: Brad Stevens ready to tip things off

Post by k_j_88 Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm mostly curious about Brown and Tatum.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens ready to tip things off Empty Re: Brad Stevens ready to tip things off

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:25 pm

And...wouldn't you know.....the first week of the season I have been craving to start.....and I am going to be away for the week. Hopefully to return on Friday evening and see the end of the game that night.

So, it is up to all of you to make me really happy. I can only hope that I get back to the hotel room in New York and TNT will be repeating the game.

Good luck boys, bring home a winner (s) and lets get off on the right foot. Kyrie, ignore all those cat calls, the way to shut them up is play out of your mind and make them jealous of what they have lost!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
1 hour ago
Brad Stevens to start Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown Tuesday in Boston Celtics opener vs. Cleveland Cavaliers usat.ly/2kSa3e3

bob
MY NOTE:  Morris expected to miss a week due to right knee soreness.  Obviously he was not in anywhere near camp-ready shape.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:42 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I'm mostly curious about Brown and Tatum.

KJ

Me too, KJ.

Stevens said he might start them both Tuesday, which would be fine by me.  I think our best 5 include those two and, of course, Horford, Irving, and Hayward.  We might not have much bulk with that group, but the scoring would be top tier and the defense fairly strong as well.

We'll see what Morris can contribute, but I don't think he can keep either Brown or Tatum out of the starting group for long, if at all.  Maybe using Morris or Baynes situationally behind, or sometimes alongside, Horford and Tatum, gives us better options.  We'll see what Stevens thinks soon!

Regards

EDIT; I wrote this and sent just behind Bob's post, without seeing it.  That takes care of Tuesday!  I'll stick with the same thought line.  Morris should contribute, but I doubt he can stay ahead of Tatum and/or Brown in terms of starts or minutes.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:I'm mostly curious about Brown and Tatum.

KJ

Me too, KJ.

Stevens said he might start them both Tuesday, which would be fine by me.  I think our best 5 include those two and, of course, Horford, Irving, and Hayward.  We might not have much bulk with that group, but the scoring would be top tier and the defense fairly strong as well.

We'll see what Morris can contribute, but I don't think he can keep either Brown or Tatum out of the starting group for long, if at all.  Maybe using Morris or Baynes situationally behind, or sometimes alongside, Horford and Tatum, gives us better options.  We'll see what Stevens thinks soon!

Regards

EDIT; I wrote this and sent just behind Bob's post, without seeing it.  That takes care of Tuesday!  I'll stick with the same thought line.  Morris should contribute, but I doubt he can stay ahead of Tatum and/or Brown in terms of starts or minutes.

NYCelt,

I think Morris will replace Tatum in the starting lineup by 12/1.  That's 2 weeks for his knee to rehab, him to get more practice time and conditioning in and learn the sets and then to play some minutes with the other starters to create chemistry.  I do not see a rookie being a starter on a contending team.  Jayson Tatum is not Magic Johnson or Larry Bird.  As it is it's pretty impressive for a sophomore, Jaylen Brown, to be starting.

bob
P.S.  Thanks to everybody who is creating threads while I'm on the road.  I just arrived in Portland, OR from Mt Hood.  I can do minor updates, like with the twitter feed about injuries, from my cellphone but articles are a real pain to cut-and-paste.  Feel free to keep it going when I get home too.     cheers

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Morris off the bench isn't a terrible option. He's physical, can shoot, and can defend.

Smart, Roz, Morris, Baynes, and Theis to round out the back end of a 10-man rotation is solid.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Smart and Rozier off the bench is going to be a great plus for this team. Just because he isn't starting does not make Smart's importance to this team any less. I love having two units, working together, that will make teams dread when they change their lineup.

Tatum is just too good to sit on the bench. He is a fast learner and it appears that he operates much better with the starters.

This is going to be fun!

Rosalie

Hey Bob Hope you have had a great trip. Always moving, huh. That's what keeps you sharp!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Bob,

I see no reason a rookie can't be in the starting mix for a contending team. Especially in this case when that rookie is Jayson Tatum.  Sometimes a player comes along who plays from day one.

My guess is Morris will turn out to be a good addition since we can use a forward with some size and muscle.  I don't think he'll be able to match up with Tatum though. I haven't made it a habit to catch Morris' games, but from what I remember, he hasn't looked like someone who could stay ahead of Tatum or Brown given the schemes Stevens is running.  Tatum is going to be able to contribute too much on offense and looks like he'll be a fast enough defensive study.  I don't see him sitting much.

Horford, Hayward, Irving, Tatum and Brown.  There's a lineup that can shoot the lights out and run just enough to keep most teams back on their heels.  Not bad defense, but not the top of the pile either.  And that's where a second unit or rotation players including Smart, Rozier, Morris and possibly Baynes comes in.

Hope the travels are going well.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm

NYCelt wrote:Bob,

I see no reason a rookie can't be in the starting mix for a contending team. Especially in this case when that rookie is Jayson Tatum.  Sometimes a player comes along who plays from day one.

My guess is Morris will turn out to be a good addition since we can use a forward with some size and muscle.  I don't think he'll be able to match up with Tatum though. I haven't made it a habit to catch Morris' games, but from what I remember, he hasn't looked like someone who could stay ahead of Tatum or Brown given the schemes Stevens is running.  Tatum is going to be able to contribute too much on offense and looks like he'll be a fast enough defensive study.  I don't see him sitting much.

Horford, Hayward, Irving, Tatum and Brown.  There's a lineup that can shoot the lights out and run just enough to keep most teams back on their heels.  Not bad defense, but not the top of the pile either.  And that's where a second unit or rotation players including Smart, Rozier, Morris and possibly Baynes comes in.

Hope the travels are going well.

Regards

NYCelt,

You watch a ton of college hoops, I watch none, so if you think that Tatum is good enough to start on a team that is expected to make it to the EC Finals (minimum) then that says a lot!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:54 pm

A rookie starting for a team expected to get to the EC is not a big deal.

The better question is how many minutes will that rookie get every game?
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 pm

fierce,

Tatum is going to get a ton of minutes. He may start some games, he may come off the bench some games as well. But I'm sure Stevens will adjust the starting rotation depending on our opponents as opposed to the traditional "one size fits all" approach.

I also think that it helps to have a greater degree of interchangeability. You'd hope that every guy coming off the bench can operate efficiently with any of the starters.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 pm

He has so much poise for a young player. He seems to play Bette with the starters. Am I wrong thinking that??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:He has so much poise for a young player.  He seems to play Bette with the starters. Am I wrong thinking that??

No, I noticed the same thing. With guys keying in on Kyrie and Gordon, Jayson is seen as an afterthought which makes him dangerous.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:03 pm

k_j_88 wrote:fierce,

Tatum is going to get a ton of minutes. He may start some games, he may come off the bench some games as well. But I'm sure Stevens will adjust the starting rotation depending on our opponents as opposed to the traditional "one size fits all" approach.

I also think that it helps to have a greater degree of interchangeability. You'd hope that every guy coming off the bench can operate efficiently with any of the starters.

KJ

I agree.

Ainge gave away the #1 pick for Tatum.
Definitely I want to see Tatum get more playing time.

I think Tatum is our PF of the future.
The faster Tatum gets better, the better the chances of the Celts winning another championship.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Irving, Horford, Brown, Tatum, Hayward.  4 of those 5 projected starters were drafted in the top 3 (Irving, 1st; Horford, 3rd; Brown, 3rd; Tatum, 3rd)  and one was drafted 8th (Hayward).  Here's where we find out if draft pedigree means anything.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 am

bobheckler wrote:Irving, Horford, Brown, Tatum, Hayward.  4 of those 5 projected starters were drafted in the top 3 (Irving, 1st; Horford, 3rd; Brown, 3rd; Tatum, 3rd)  and one was drafted 8th (Hayward).  Here's where we find out if draft pedigree means anything.

bob

Draft pedigree already projects Celts getting into the east finals this season.

Last season, even with a healthy IT, Celts were just expected to get out of the 1st round.

Based on NBA Finals history, draft pedigree matters.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:10 am

Lebron iffy for opener.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lebron-james-status-season-opener-celtics-unclear-article-1.3565050

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 am

It took a lot for the C's to get past the Bulls and Wizards who aren't great teams.

And the Cavs are 4-23 when Bron doesn't play. That's with Kyrie and Love.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Doesn't deserve its own thread, but I thought it deserves something:

G #30‏Verified account
@DTP_Mario
Follow Follow @DTP_Mario
More
THANK YOU BOSTON ☘️ #NeverForgetWhereYouComeFrom @Giving_Back
https://twitter.com/DTP_Mario/status/920027992440606720

Gordon Hayward‏Verified account
@gordonhayward
Follow Follow @gordonhayward
More
The night before… ☘️
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Julian Edelman
Julian Edelman
@Edelman11
☘️green runs deep
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 pm

KJ

Fans often love the idea of changing the starting line-up depending on the match ups, but players hate it. They believe that knowing aproximately when they will be coming in, and how long they will be playing, is extermely important for maximixing there output.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm

fierce wrote:

KJ

I agree.

The faster Tatum gets better, the better the chances of the Celts winning another championship.

Is Jayson strong enough to play PF? Right now, he seems a litte skinny. Would be great though if he could become our PF of the future, less redundancy with Jaylen.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
fierce wrote:

KJ

I agree.

Is Jayson strong enough to play PF? Right now, he seems a litte skinny. Would be great though if he could become our PF of the future, less redundancy with Jaylen.

Unfortunately that's going to be Tatum's weakness for now.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down