Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments

4 posters

Go down

Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments Empty Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 am

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/16/boston-celtics-brad-stevens-golden-state-warriors-steve-kerr-engage-massive-war-compliments/

Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments

Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments Gettyimages-643015794

By: Jared Weiss | 12 hours ago

Steve Kerr knows what it’s like to take a team from good to great. He replaced Mark Jackson and took over a Golden State Warriors squad that had the key players in place that would win them a pair of championships in the coming years.

So when Kerr looks across the sidelines and says the following words about Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens, the context is something along the lines of, “Here is the next team to make that leap.”

“They’re really sound and they’re motivated,” Kerr said Wednesday per MassLive’s Jay King. “It’s a team that’s been on the rise the last couple of years. They lost in the conference finals. They want to win a championship, and it looks like it. Even without Gordon Hayward and that awful injury, Boston is just crushing people. So, it’s going to be really fun to go against them on Thursday. We know how tough it’s going to be.”

Whatever happens Thursday, Boston is already having a season they could dream for as far as their results are concerned. But injuries obviously have been devastating with Gordon Hayward out for the year. But Boston is still rocketing toward the level of contention they have been building toward the past three years.

“It sure looks like Boston is the team of the future in the East, with the assets that they still have and their young talent and their coaching, and Kyrie (Irving) is amazing,” Kerr said. “That looks like a team that is going to be at the top of the East for a long time to come. Whether their time is now or the future, that’s to be determined, but they sure look like they want it to be right now.”

Brad Stevens is a modest man. He doesn’t take compliments that well, especially when it’s coming from a coach and team that he has freely admitted he has borrowed — or in his words, stolen — from over the years. While most consider Stevens an emerging grandmaster of coaching, he considers himself more of a grand-observer.

So when Stevens told reporters he really appreciated Kerr’s words, it was followed by a respectful kiss of the ring and implication that he will continue to quest for the throne.

“The future is hard to predict,” Stevens replied after a practice Wednesday. “And we’ve gotta stay in the moment to become the best version of ourselves, is the answer that I have. I really appreciate him saying that. There’s nobody that I could respect more. He’s an incredible person and coach. But, yeah, we have to stay in the moment and try to be as good as we can be and then we’ll see what the future holds.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I know the NBA Head Coaching Club is really small and chummy and everybody wants to say nice things about everybody else, but I wonder what great coaches like Pop and Doc and Kerr say about all the rest of the coaches in the league, because they sure do gush over Brad. 

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments Empty Re: Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments

Post by Sandpd Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 pm

It's the unwritten rule, "Thou shalt not give your opponent any fodder for motivation to be posted in their locker-room."  Shower them with complements.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments Empty Re: Celtics' Brad Stevens and Warriors' Steve Kerr engage in massive war of compliments

Post by wideclyde Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Kerr has certainly earned high praise with his two championships and three finals appearance in the last three years. Stevens is earning his props as we speak.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 pm

You know, it funny...

People seem to forget that the Warriors were built and groomed by Mark Jackson. I'm not a fan of Jackson by any means and I find his color commentary agonizingly bad. But I'm not one to ignore the obvious: Kerr landed a great situation for himself and reaped the benefits thereafter.

In other words, how good of a coach is Steve Kerr? I think the answer is that we really don't even know. Due to some unfortunate health problems, Kerr has missed extensive time coaching in order to recover. In his absence, we've seen Mike Brown and Luke Walton handle the reigns to similar success.

I believe that Stevens is the superior coach between the two, and probably second only to Popovich.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down