Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games

+3
gyso
Shamrock1000
wideclyde
7 posters

Go down

Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games Empty Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games

Post by wideclyde Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 am

I am beginning to become concerned, but not worried yet, about falling behind in almost every game in the first quarter regardless of the level of competition. I can better understand falling behind the Warriors, but not so much teams with records like the Hawks.

Love the ability to refocus, fight back, win, BUT falling behind to virtually every team so early in the game is not a good precedence to set for a good team no matter how long the winning streak may be at this time.

A big factor seems that the starters have trouble getting out of the gate and then when the low scoring second unit comes in, well they just don't score. Could shaking up the rotation be a solution? Is there a guy out there available who may add some scoring to the second unit?

I guess that this is not a terribly immediate problem to solve, but another scorer will be needed for the playoffs. Such a scorer may become available at or after the trade deadline.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games Empty Re: Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:50 am

Legit concern.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games Empty Re: Concerned about falling behind by double digits early in games

Post by gyso Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:54 am

I read that we have been behind by at least 16 points in three of the last five games, Could it have anything to do with inserting Morris into the starting lineup with Baynes coming off the bench in three of the last five games?

In addition to that, Horford, Kyrie, Smart, Tatum and maybe other players have been in and out of the lineup with various injuries, etc.

I think that our strongest lineup is with Baynes starting and having the Smart and Morris coming off the bench. Baynes as a starter would allow Horford freedom roam a bit and we had good success with that earlier on in the season. Morris off the bench would give them a veteran scorer and allow them an outlet when the shot clock is winding down.

It is a worrisome trend and it bears watching for a while to see if Brad can come up with an answer. We haven't had many Gino games and we have had to play our primary players longer minutes because of it.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Reason is the Celts are not a very good shooting team.

Celts are just 27th in the league in FG% at 42.9%.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 pm

These deficits are a double-edged sword.

On one hand, the team is learning how to come back from deficits and win. But on the other, you shouldn't have to win in this fashion. Eventually, we'll find ourselves in a hole and wind up losing that game.

The bench clearly needs help on offense. But if you notice, the execution is very much lacking. They don't run plays for anyone. It's a lot of freelance basketball. This is not sustainable if a deep playoff run is the ultimate goal.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am

I dont think they are intentionally doing it so even though its not desirable it is just how it is. It is good that they have learned that it is not game over because they are behind early and I am sure they are working on improving whatever is causing it. So one thing is factual and caused by whatever something that will hopefully either be solved or go away by itself but their reaction, the thing they can impact is sound and good.

Contrast it to them always being ahead and then falling behind and not knowing how to deal with that, then this option is more desirable because they are sure to be dealing with the problem plus be used to adversity.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 am

However they are winning an attitude and atmosphere of winning every game has and is developing.  That is something that will pay big dividends over the course of the season.  As I've said many times NBA games have numerous runs and we have seen it both ways
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down