This and That

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This and That

Post by bobheckler on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:28 am

This is like dboss' "Odds and Ends" thread from last year.  It's a catch-all for all the stuff that happens that isn't about the Celtics or worthy of its own thread.

In Philly last night, the Sixers hung a 47 point quarter on the Dubs and were leading them by 22 points at the half.  GSW came storming back in the 2nd half, had a 47 point quarter of their own and went on to crush Philly's hopes and spirits with a 124-116 heartbreaker.

This tweet, I believe, should be filed under "Premature Ejaculations", ROTFLMAO

Sixers Nation‏ 

[ltr]@PHLSixersNation[/ltr]

FollowFollow 

[ltr]@PHLSixersNation[/ltr]

More
Yo @celtics remember when you guys were hyped about beating the Warriors?

That’s cute...

We’re SMACKING the defending champs at the half! #TrustIt

5:39 PM - 18 Nov 2017

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am

Hahaha how does that doofus feel?

I predicted a Sixers win, Dubs showing a lot of heart, Philly has a lot of great young talent, hopefully they won't figure it out.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:07 am

Trust the Process Philly fans because it's finally working. It's great to see them becoming relevant and with such good players.

I posted something from somewhere awhile back which I think is pertinent.

Philly is coming together and starting to show glimpses of what they will one day be capable of. Just like the Celtics did the past few years.

But when Philly's young players start to figure out how to win, the Celtics will be entering dynastic prime. Phlly has to wait 5-7 years to even start thinking about the Celtics faltering. But Danny still has all those assets so while the C's can maintain and keep relevant over the next 10 years of window guess what team will be winding down without the ability to rebuild on the fly? Yep, the '6er's

But they will be fun to watch.

Right now I just thot for the first time about hanging #20. lol
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Trust the Process Philly fans because it's finally working. It's great to see them becoming relevant and with such good players.

I posted something from somewhere awhile back which I think is pertinent.

Philly is coming together and starting to show glimpses of what they will one day be capable of. Just like the Celtics did the past few years.

But when Philly's young players start to figure out how to win, the Celtics will be entering dynastic prime. Phlly has to wait 5-7 years to even start thinking about the Celtics faltering. But Danny still has all those assets so while the C's can maintain and keep relevant over the next 10 years of window guess what team will be winding down without the ability to rebuild on the fly? Yep, the '6er's

But they will be fun to watch.

Right now I just thot for the first time about hanging #20. lol

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mulcogiseng

I do agree with some of what you say here but in general it is speculative.

We do not know how far and or how fast the Sixers will become a legit competitor in the East. I think there are three things to consider. First they have tons of CAP space, Embid and Simmons among others are really talented young players and third, they still have a lot of future picks just like the Celtics.

That is why i do not agree with the idea that the Sixers have less sustainability than Boston.

Through free agency, player development and future draft picks, the Sixers can easily stock their team with as much pure talent as Boston. The major difference is that Boston has a great coach and the Sixers do not. They just need to avoid making any deals with Danny.

I think the likely future for Boston and Philly is a renewal of a historic rivalry that spans several generations.

dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm

LAC have dropped 9 in a row and now Beverly is gone.  They do not look like a playoff team.  I keep thinking that they will break out of their doldrums but each time I check, they have lost again.

I guess the grass wasn't so green for the yoyo master

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:13 am

Watched the Laker-Kings game last night.  Neither are good teams.

Sacto's best player is 36 year old Zach Randolph.  Him and George Hill are the real veterans of that team.  The rest are a collection of youth.  Fox looks good, Frank Mason III looks good too, he's a true PG.  Why Dave Joerger is starting Skal Labissiere instead of either WCS or Koufos I don't know.  WCS had a monster game last night.  Very active.

The Lakers?  Man, I just don't know.  

ZBo was taking Brook Lopez off the dribble all night from the arc.  How slow and bad do you have to be for that?  I'm not talking about him down in the blocks and using his size to carve out space, ZBo's been doing that forever to everybody, Randolph was just dribble blowing past Lopez.  That is embarrassing.  

Kuzma shows great promise, he's quite long and uses it effectively.  GREAT draft pick by Magic.

Ingram pretty much disappeared in the 2nd half.  12 points total and that's about what he had at halftime (maybe 10).  Some nice passes by him.  I still cannot wrap my mind around just how skinny his legs are.  They traumatize me, making me think of concentration camps and Biafra.  I'm probably going to eat myself into a coma tonight because of him.

And it's not like the Lakers didn't shoot well, they shot very well, 50% on the game is something we'd kill for.  It's the 78 fgas and only 32 rebounds killed them.  They have a weak front court.  Lopez' game has completely fallen off the table, it really is remarkable how bad he has suddenly become, and he's only 29 years old.  Randle is undersized and has no game outside 10'-12'.  Ingram is a matchstick man.  He's having a better year than last year, he definitely deserves credit for that, but his improvement is almost exclusively in scoring.  Rebounds, assists, TOs, steals are all about the same/minute as last year.

Overall, though, I think the Lakers are in better shape than the Kings.  More building blocks, especially in the wings which is where the league is going.  This is good since I never really thought the Lakers would be the 2nd-5th worst team in the league this year, especially with Chicago and Atlanta and a few others powerdiving for the basement, which means we'll get Sacto's pick next year and without those building blocks they should still suck next year too.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am

Kuzma may be the steal of the last draft.

Of course, a big part of what Kuzma has done is directly linked to being on the floor with Ball. Kuzma's quickness getting out in transition, combined with Ball's rebounding and lightning, accurate, passing, make a nice 1 - 2 combination. Those really were two great picks.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:17 am

Ben Simmons sets NBA free-throw record after Wizards go full 'Hack-a-Shaq'

Sam Cooper
Ball Don't LieNov 29, 2017, 7:40 PM

Washington’s Kelly Oubre Jr., front, fouls Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons, who was the subject of gamesmanship Wednesday. (AP)

The main (and perhaps only) knock on Philadelphia 76ers rookie Ben Simmons is his shooting.

With his rare combination of size, speed and handles, he can get to the rim with relative ease, but outside of 10-or-so feet, he has his struggles shooting the ball. That extends to the free-throw line, too. Entering Wednesday night’s game against the Washington Wizards, the 6-foot-10 Simmons was shooting just 57 percent from the line.

Trailing by double-digits late in the ballgame, the Wizards aimed to take advantage of that.

The Philly lead was 84-65 entering the fourth and 93-78 with 7:23 to play. At that point, Simmons came back into the game to help the Sixers close things out. But in an effort to close the gap, Wizards coach Scott Brooks — with NBA commissioner Adam Silver (who does not trust the process, by the way) in the house — employed the ol’ Hack-a-Shaq, or in this case the Hack-a-Ben (Simmons, not Wallace), intentionally fouling Simmons no matter where he was on the court.

[ltr]

[/ltr]

Basketball Society@BBallSociety_

[ltr]Adam Silver just won't Trust the Process 

via @clippittv[/ltr]

4:43 PM - Nov 29, 2017

When the dust settled, Simmons attempted an NBA-record 24 free throws in the fourth, making just 12 of them. While Simmons scuffled, Washington cut into the lead. The Wizards trimmed the deficit down to three on three occasions in the final 3:35 of regulation, but the Sixers emerged with a 118-113 victory.

ESPN Stats & Info

✔️@ESPNStatsInfo

[ltr]Ben Simmons set the NBA single-quarter record for free throw attempts with 24 in the 4th quarter[/ltr]

7:17 PM - Nov 29, 2017

Simmons finished with 31 points, 18 rebounds and four assists, giving him his 12th double-double in the first 20 games of his career. He was 15-of-29 from the line altogether and 8-of-16 from the field.

Philly also got 25 points and 14 boards from Joel Embiid, but Embiid fouled out at the 2:24 mark of the fourth when he got a piece of Washington’s Bradley Beal as he attempted a 3-pointer. Beal sank the three free throws to cut the Sixers lead to 107-103. Washington got it down to 110-107, but a three-point play from Dario Saric (24 points, 8 rebounds) on a feed from J.J. Redick ultimately sealed the deal for Philadelphia.

The Sixers set a franchise record with 37 free-throw attempts in the fourth quarter, connecting on 22, and were 41-of-64 (64.1 percent) for the game. Though when you remove Simmons from that equation, Philly was a much more respectable 26-of-35 (74.3 percent) from the line.

Teams know Simmons is a poor free-throw shooter. Whether they decide to follow in Washington’s footsteps and treat Simmons like teams have treated Los Angeles’ DeAndre Jordan and Detroit’s Andre Drummond in the past remains to be seen.

If they do, though, the former No. 1 overall draft pick insists he’ll be ready.

Jessica Camerato

✔️@JCameratoNBCS

[ltr]Simmons on the "Hack-a-Ben" approach: "It’s not going to happen for that much longer. I’m going to knock them down."[/ltr]

8:35 PM - Nov 29, 2017

bob
MY NOTE:  This could be Jaylen Brown's fate if he doesn't improve his frito percentage like he has with his fg%.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 am

Credit to the Lakers last night.  They took GSW to OT.  Ingram with a big night, 32 on 12-21.  Randle with 20.  Not a good defender but he can score.  Clarkson with 21.  4 Lakers >20 points and Ball had 15.

The Dubs were all healthy and playing, so no excuse or explanation there.

A promising game for the Lakers, could be a harbinger of things to come.  Current status, however, is that they are tied for 8th worst with Brooklyn.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm

I watched the Lakers/Warriors game last night and it was very entertaining.

Ingram was very impressive but was schooled by Durant.

The Lakers are a scrappy bunch.  What I like  most about them is their uptempo fast break style of basketball.  That style masks deficiencies associated with their half-court offense.

I wish Boston played more fast break basketball.  The problem begins and ends with them dribbling the ball up the court instead of passing the ball up the court and filling the lanes.  Boston has the quickness, athleticism and stamina to play at a higher pace.

I really like coach Stevens but he has yet to add the fast break to this team.  The Celtics are actually a team with space but no pace.  Boston is 23rd in the league in FGA.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:10 pm

dboss wrote:I watched the Lakers/Warriors game last night and it was very entertaining.

Ingram was very impressive but was schooled by Durant.

The Lakers are a scrappy bunch.  What I like  most about them is their uptempo fast break style of basketball.  That style masks deficiencies associated with their half-court offense.

I wish Boston played more fast break basketball.  The problem begins and ends with them dribbling the ball up the court instead of passing the ball up the court and filling the lanes.  Boston has the quickness, athleticism and stamina to play at a higher pace.

I really like coach Stevens but he has yet to add the fast break to this team.  The Celtics are actually a team with space but no pace.  Boston is 23rd in the league in FGA.

dboss

dboss,

I agree, we have no pace.  The only player who seems to consistently play with pace in the full court is Marcus Smart.  He is always looking upcourt for a runner.  The problem is that we don't have enough runners and, if there isn't anybody running, Marcus Smart is not a fast dribbler who will out run defenders up court.  Still, he's doing more than others.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Cleveland coming on...10 straight with tonight's win.

No surprise. They weren't staying down for long. Too deep and strong, even with a couple of players out.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 pm

NYCelt wrote:Cleveland coming on...10 straight with tonight's win.

No surprise. They weren't staying down for long. Too deep and strong, even with a couple of players out.

Adding by subtraction with Derrick Rose?

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 am

gyso wrote:

Adding by subtraction with Derrick Rose?

That could very well be the case!
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:41 am

The Cavs seem to have hit their stride and are now right in the thick of things after winning their 10th straight game last night against the Hawks.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

Tim Cato‏Verified account 

[ltr]@tim_cato[/ltr]

FollowFollow 

[ltr]@tim_cato[/ltr]

More
Nerlens Noel on his halftime trip to grab a hot dog from the media room: “I needed some energy for the second half.” he was the only Maverick with a DNP.
1:40 PM - 2 Dec 2017

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 am

bobheckler wrote:Tim Cato‏Verified account 

[ltr]@tim_cato[/ltr]

FollowFollow 

[ltr]@tim_cato[/ltr]

More
Nerlens Noel on his halftime trip to grab a hot dog from the media room: “I needed some energy for the second half.” he was the only Maverick with a DNP.
1:40 PM - 2 Dec 2017

bob

Bob I guess he is looking to bulk up.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 pm

And then there's Deng sitting at the end of the bench for the Lakers - sitting since the 1st game of the year - a candidate to be stretched later this year?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Credit to Julius Randle for getting upset about how Jamal Murray clowned Lonzo Ball, but what about Ball himself?!  He's walking down court, head down and completely inattentive and uncaring to what's going on around him, like he was when that "fight" broke out a week or two ago and he just looked over his shoulder at it and kept walking away like it had nothing to do with him.  Jamal Murray dribbled in front of him, with the ball on his left side so it was easily stolen by Ball, and Ball just kept walking anyway.  No.  Freaking.  Stones.  No.  Freaking.  Heart.

Ball has a serious attitude problem.  I'm starting to think he's mentally soft.  Definitely not "Mamba Mentality".  Great talent, fantastic court vision and superior rebounder for his size but doesn't have a warrior's mentality.  Another D'Angelo Russell, who also has talent but no ganas.

Danny passed on Markelle Fultz because he had questions about how Fultz responded to losing, not because of his shooting or defense or anything like that.  He drafted Brown and Tatum because of their character, focus and willingness to work hard on improvement.  He drafted Terry Rozier because Terry Rozier is the only draft invitee to ever ask to do the brutal Celtic workout, which draftees are glad are over, again because he thought he could do better.  This tells me that Ball learned nothing from that "fight" incident.  Laker teammates talked to him about it, but it doesn't look like the bigger message got through.  

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Don't look now but Boston's scoring average is up to 104.5.  Their defensive rating continues to slip at 97.4.

Net result is a smaller differential.  This is not a simple case.  Their defense will suffer when they turn the ball over, when they do not control their defensive glass and when they miss free throws.  

Brad is still trying to figure out how to make a good team even better.

Rozier does not have a clue on how to run an offense.  Without Smart we would have problems there.

Jaylen take your time at the line.  His #1 priority right now should be making freebies.  The ball handling would be #2.  He can become a 20 ppg player.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Because turnovers, poor rebounding and missed free throws all lead to transition to offense by the other team.  Thus your defensive rating will be under assault...more.

Dboss

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm

Rozier has shown little to no improvement, he can defend and rebound, way too many 1-6 games and still can’t finish or run an offense. A player this athletic with so many problems finishing a lay up in his 3rd year is beyond frustrating. At least I’m not bashing Smart anymore, I’m an equal opportunity basher, but if this is all Rozier can be, I don’t think I would resign him.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 pm

This is year 3 for Terry and I am still waiting for him to run a pick and roll.

I like the kid.  His energy and athleticism.  What is his ceiling?  He is playing 23 mpg averaging 9 ppg and 2
Assists with 4.3 rebounds and 1 steal.  His 3 point shooting is up to 37%.  

He is playing better this year than last year.

The Celtics have a lot of young players who should get better this season.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Dboss unfortunately his regular FG% is 37.6 and he has the ball a lot when he’s on the floor, well can’t say Stevens isn’t giving him a fair chance.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Rozier's consistency (or lack thereof) will have a lot to do with how this team plays. He's a major part of the rotation and he needs to score.

He defends well and can rebound, but he'll miss open shots and turn the ball over, too.

KJ
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum