This and That

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:18 am

Last night Lebron James finished with 11 points.  Jr Smith and IT led the team in scoring with 12 each.  We are witness to a meltdown that may completely redefine the power in the East.  Cleveland has now dipped to a  negative in point differential.  They have dropped 13 out of their last 20 games.  That's  6 games under .500.   They are now a mere 1/2 game ahead of Washington and only 4 games in the loss column ahead of 8th place Philly.

Their second best scorer in Kevin Love will be out for an extended rehab and no one else seems capable of stepping up to right the ship.

Things are bound to get worse before they get better.  

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 pm

dboss,

Although I can't imagine Cleveland not making some sort of a run, they are in a bigger hole than I would have thought possible.

I expected them to be our toughest competition coming out of the East. Now it may be Toronto. Shocking collapse by The Cavs. Not that it makes me sad.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:24 pm

MNYCelt wrote:dboss,

Although I can't imagine Cleveland not making some sort of a run, they are in a bigger hole than I would have thought possible.

I expected them to be our toughest competition coming out of the East. Now it may be Toronto. Shocking collapse by The Cavs. Not that it makes me sad.

Regards
Ad hoc GM Bron has assembled this and the coach to lead them.

Breaks my heart......... insert sarcasm here

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Getting ugly in Cleveland.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758056-lebron-james-reportedly-cursed-at-cavaliers-executives-in-heated-meeting?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Isaiah is not exactly endearing himself to the Cavs coaching staff. Wonder if they'll back up the Brinks truck for him after his struggles and his comments.  
https://sports.yahoo.com/isaiah-thomas-says-cavaliers-don-000258344.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 pm

IT is not likely to get a big contract from anybody.  Few teams with CAP spacer are not likely to spend it on him.  There are a lot of free agents hitting the market in 2018.

The Cavs may let Thomas walk unless things improve dramatically.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 pm

IT is letting his mouth run a bit too much these days... Stop giving the media ammunition.

KJ
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:22 pm

So Bron bailed out the Cavs last night. But my questions is with 1.8 seconds why are you guarding 2 players in the backcourt 60+ feet from the hoop and not double teaming Bron?

Scratch my head on this one.

Make someone else beat you or force him to go further to get the ball.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Why players love Pop...

https://twitter.com/nba/status/962690187473006593

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Watching the Cleveland-OKC game. LeBron has been rejuvenated from those trades. He is hitting EVERYTHING and making it look easy.

They aren't done like we thought.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 am

bobheckler wrote:Watching the Cleveland-OKC game.  LeBron has been rejuvenated from those trades.  He is hitting EVERYTHING and making it look easy.

They aren't done like we thought.

bob

That was a really great trade for them, everyone of those players is a big upgrade, they can all run, score and defend, and they still have more upside....he might stay.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am

Cow,

Have to agree with you completely. That's why in another thread I graded Cleveland as the overall winner at the trade deadline.

Great trade, serious upgrade of young talent. If James stays or goes, they're in better shape than they would have been otherwise. Only downside is tax paid if LeBron stays. Even with that, it's gotten to be if you don't pay luxury tax, you don't contend.

Brilliant work by Koby Altman. Add his name to NBA exec of the year contenders. One of those rare times a team didn't even have to take the floor to know they took a big step forward. Cavs will be a nightmare for anyone in a series.

Between Cleveland, Toronto and Boston, the east just got a lot more competitive and interesting. Add in Philly and perhaps even Detroit and Milwaukee by next year, and it's not all about the west any longer.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am

NYCelt wrote:Cow,

Have to agree with you completely. That's why in another thread I graded Cleveland as the overall winner at the trade deadline.

Great trade, serious upgrade of young talent. If James stays or goes, they're in better shape than they would have been otherwise. Only downside is tax paid if LeBron stays. Even with that, it's gotten to be if you don't pay luxury tax, you don't contend.

Brilliant work by Koby Altman. Add his name to NBA exec of the year contenders. One of those rare times a team didn't even have to take the floor to know they took a big step forward. Cavs will be a nightmare for anyone in a series.

Between Cleveland, Toronto and Boston, the east just got a lot more competitive and interesting. Add in Philly and perhaps even Detroit and Milwaukee by next year, and it's not all about the west any longer.

Regards

And getting Love back for the playoffs makes them even more diffictult to deal with.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:46 am

George Hill is handling the ball A LOT and LeBron is handling it less.  That is making for a much more fluid offense, and therefore much more difficult to defend, with damn good shooters like Hood and Clarkson and JR getting the ball because now the defense can't just try to deal with LeBron and deny everyone else.  LeBron is moving without the ball now too, thanks to George Hill. I'm a big fan of Rodney Hood, I wish we could have gotten him, and of Jordan Clarkson too but I think Koby Altman's real coup at trade deadline day was to get George Hill. They look like a completely different team and it isn't because they have more shooters. The shooters don't know the system yet, but they're getting the ball anyway and that's George Hill's doing.

This is the value of having a bonafide point guard, as opposed to "position-less players".  Bigs, in the old-school way, might be dinosaurs (Steven Adams DOMINATED last night on the offensive boards and OKC still lost decisively) but in a league of perimeter snipers an elite (or even just 'good') floor general might be even more important.  

Do we need a floor general (Kyrie isn't really one of those, he's a SG in a PG body) more than another shooter?

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Bob wrote:Do we need a floor general (Kyrie isn't really one of those, he's a SG in a PG body) more than another shooter?

I think this way. Even if traditional point guards are a form of dinosaur to go with big centers, it's essential to have players who simply know how to produce buckets for others.

The Celtics are basically a lottery team without Horford because they'd lose his ball distribution.

Smart started shooting more instead of making assists.

Terry is not so bad for the ratio, but except for the one game he had ten assists, it's not a consistent part of his skill set, at least yet.

The C's are missing a guy like Evan Turner, Phil Pressey or even a Jordan Crawford off the bench would help.

I wanted to trade Rozier for Rondo before Terry went on his hot streak.

I see a definite issue there. Irving is more of a shooting guard. Jaylen is maybe better than Avery but not enough in this way. Morris is a dead end. Tatum is unformed/undetermined for such a role.

This is why I threw in Kyrie Irving at the end of my blame game list. I want to see him make a leap as a point guard. Irving as a Tiny Archibald both scoring and distributing would make him worth a lot more for the looming max contract.

Kyrie's defense might have also plateaued. The roster is still stacked, but it needs more consistency for the PG role.

While the NBA is trending towards positionless basketball, teams still need guys who are solid at passing and protecting the ball.

Larkin might have emerged in this role. Maybe Smart will get back into it.

Yeah, I know. Pressey lacked skills to stay in the NBA. I just liked the way he played. Nearly every time the offense dragged, Brad would put in Phil, and the team got out of the rut.

Bad offense can snowball.

We all saw how good Evan Turner got in his last Boston year. He was a better old-school pg than Irving. It is what it is. Players have to step up and make better passes. The Celtics need to come together as a team on offense[/captain obvious].
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm

NY Celt Philly is gonna be our biggest rival at some point, they still have some great draft picks ahead, thank god they passed on Porzingus. When Jaylen and Jayson are 24-25, Embid and Simmons will also be at their peak, thankfully they don’t know how to win yet, but it’s coming.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Bob it would be great if Kyrie would adapt his game, he goes on too many iso ball situations and needs to get more out of the rest of the young talent. Russell Westbrook already has this down, Kyrie has enough talent around him where he should be avg 8-9 assists a game and still get his points.....come on Brad, Doc reined in Pierce, let’s see more passing, ball movement from Kyrie.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:05 pm

bobheckler wrote: ... Do we need a floor general (Kyrie isn't really one of those, he's a SG in a PG body) more than another shooter?

bob

Bob,

Insightful question. I believe the answer is yes, we need a floor general. I would say Smart or Rozier would be the obvious options on the current roster.

I've said in the past that our offense looks more fluid and varied when Irving is on the floor with either Smart or Rozier as the primary ball-handler. With Hayward coming back next year, we'll already be adding a shooter.

I still think a young big, preferably an authentic center, is the priority, even if Monroe is kept around. I'd go with a point guard from there, before a shooter for the bench.

Easy for me to say of course. Now, where does all that come from?

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm

I think starting Morris or relying on him too much hurts the bigs rotation. I wish Brad would just take his lumps and go with Baynes. Monroe will need his minutes. Theis has been consistent. I don't get Brad's fascination with Marcus Morris.

Last year I might agree. But Horford has looked much crisper this one and is not center material. Maybe at the end of his career or when he slows down, he will become a center or backup center like KG did. But he has some hops left in his step and he needs to be in the 2008 KG power forward slot.

Small ball is for losers or there better be a lot of talent. Jaylen and Jayson will be fine. They are young and learning at fast rates. Morris is set in his ways. Irving left Cleveland because LeBron was too domineering. Morris thinks he is LeBron James. He has no humility. It is excessive confidence and selfishness.

Baynes, Horford and Theis play the right way. A team is about five guys playing as one, not four plus Marcus Morris.
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:35 am

Morris can score It`s as simple as that . Baynes has awful hands, can`t jump and is a walking foul machine. His lack of coordination results in a lot of  missed gimmes. I like his work ethic, but he has never gotten major minutes anywhere he played for a reason. Monroe is a step behind on D. Hopefully that will change with familiarity. Horford`s not an issue. He`s getting his minutes. I`d like to see more Theis because he is the most athletic of the bigs and scraps for rebounds and loose balls. Shooting well too, since the early doldrums.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 am

Between Cleveland, Toronto and Boston, the east just got a lot more competitive and interesting.

right now they are the only REAL east contenders. Boston and the rest are nothing but pretenders

kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 am

kdp59 wrote:Between Cleveland, Toronto and Boston, the east just got a lot more competitive and interesting.

right now they are the only REAL east contenders. Boston and the rest are nothing but pretenders

Vegas odds to win the championship before the Cleveland/Boston game last week:

Cavs 12-1
Toronto 14-1
Boston - 14-1

Vegas odds to win the championship after the Cleveland/Boston game:

Cavs 8-1
Toronto - 14-1
Boston 20-1

Vegas is not blind.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am

What about odds to win the east?
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

This is Celtic related but not wortg its own thread.

Kyrie showing crazy handles @ All-Star game....

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
NBA fines Mark Cuban $600,000 for admitting to tanking.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Honesty does pay after all.  In this case Cuban is paying six hundred large for it.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum