This and That

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: This and That

Post by Matty on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
NBA fines Mark Cuban $600,000 for admitting to tanking.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Honesty does pay after all.  In this case Cuban is paying six hundred large for it.

Pffft.. he made that much while he was brushing his teeth this morning..
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Has the 26ers ever paid a fine for tanking? If not, why not? I mean, actions speak louder than words.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Def Pen Hoops‏
@DefPenHoops
Follow Follow @DefPenHoops
More
Javale McGee sinks the turnaround fadeaway jumper and Jon Stewart can't believe it
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Not worth its own thread, but still pretty cool.

Boston Celtics‏Verified account
@celtics
Follow Follow @celtics
More
Ever wonder what Kyrie's thinking when he puts defenders on skates? ⤵️

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/968534958565294080

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:18 am

gyso wrote:Has the 26ers ever paid a fine for tanking?  If not, why not?  I mean, actions speak louder than words.
A confession seals the deal, though.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Michael Scotto‏Verified account
@MikeAScotto
Follow Follow @MikeAScotto
More
Philadelphia 76ers will waive forward Trevor Booker to clear a roster spot to sign forward Ersan Ilyasova, league sources told The Athletic.

11:04 AM - 28 Feb 2018

bob
MY NOTE:  Philly traded Jahlil Okafor, Nic Stauskas and a 2019 2nd round pick to Brooklyn for Booker.  By waiving Booker, this means that Bryan Colangelo traded a #3 pick (Okafor) and a #8 pick (Stauskas) for nothing.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 pm

bobheckler wrote:Michael Scotto‏Verified account
@MikeAScotto
Follow Follow @MikeAScotto
More
Philadelphia 76ers will waive forward Trevor Booker to clear a roster spot to sign forward Ersan Ilyasova, league sources told The Athletic.

11:04 AM - 28 Feb 2018

bob
MY NOTE:  Philly traded Jahlil Okafor, Nic Stauskas and a 2019 2nd round pick to Brooklyn for Booker.  By waiving Booker, this means that Bryan Colangelo traded a #3 pick (Okafor) and a #8 pick (Stauskas) for nothing.

Um, Trust the Process™️ ?¿?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-j-r-smith-got-suspended-throwing-bowl-soup-cavs-coach-course-160559145.html

Report: J.R. Smith got suspended for throwing a bowl of soup at a Cavs coach, because of course he did

Yahoo Sports  Dan Devine,Yahoo Sports 2 hours 14 minutes ago

J.R. Smith just wants you to show him where, specifically, the rules say that you can’t throw a bowl of soup at someone. SPECIFICALLY. (Getty)

When we learned shortly before tipoff of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ nationally televised game against the Philadelphia 76ers that shooting guard J.R. Smith had been suspended for one game for “conduct detrimental to the team,” our basketball-loving minds raced as we wondered what, exactly, J.R. did to get a one-game rip. I can safely say that at no point in my imaginings did I land on the truth of the matter, as reported Friday morning by ESPN’s Brian Windhorst and Dave McMenamin: Smith’s detrimental conduct was, in fact, throwing a bowl of soup at Cavaliers assistant coach Damon Jones.

No, for real:

Cleveland Cavaliers guard JR Smith earned his one-game suspension from the team Thursday by throwing a bowl of soup at assistant coach Damon Jones, multiple sources with knowledge of the incident told ESPN

Jones, a former Cavs player, has been back with Cleveland since 2014 and worked his way up from an assistant coach with the Canton Charge, the Cavs’ G League affiliate, to the Cavs where he is a trusted voice for head coach Tyronn Lue.

And here I thought J.R. would never rack up another punishment that would, for sheer lunacy, rival the one that came attached to his inability to stop untying dudes’ shoes. The lesson: Never bet against Earl Smith Jr.

https://twitter.com/KevinKaduk/status/969600492635545600/photo/1

https://twitter.com/brohrbach/status/969606799446953985

My friends … I have some questions.

What kind of soup was it? What sort of throwing motion did J.R. use? What the hell did Damon Jones do or say on the front end of this viscous exchange?

Did Smith determine that Jones deserved a piping hot bowl of minestrone justice for violating some hoary unwritten rule of the cafeteria, thus planting a seed in Jordan Clarkson’s mind that there are just some lines you don’t cross and that there’s hell to pay if you do? Is there a way, once cooler heads prevail, for J.R. to flip this into an endorsement deal? I mean, considering the stranglehold that Campbell’s has on the U.S. condensed wet soup market, maybe an outsider soup brand looking to shake up the space would be a natural fit for AN NBA PLAYER WHO GOT SUSPENDED FOR THROWING SOUP AT A DUDE.

Whether simply liquid or hella chunky, soup frankly cannot be a straight-line projectile. Did anyone else get caught in the crossfire here? Oh, no: did Cedi Osman get souped? Please say he did not. If it’s only one game, you have to imagine that no serious injuries were sustained; does this mean that we’re talking about a cold soup, here? A borscht? A dashi? Perhaps a gazpacho?

How loudly, and how frequently, did LeBron James say “SHEESH” in the immediate aftermath of these events? Does Lue feel comfortable in his choice to suspend Smith for the amount of time he did, or DOES HE WISH HE HAD A MULLIGATAWNY ON THAT DECISION OK I’M DONE

This one-game suspension cost Smith $94,897. That’s one expensive freaking bowl of soup. Not as much as it costs in Little Italy, but still: pretty rich! (Ooh: maybe it was a rich, cream-based soup. A crab bisque, maybe?)

The good news for Smith, here — on top of Damon Jones not being scalded, I mean — is that he did not get Wally Pipp’d on Thursday. After replacement starter Rodney Hood scored 11 points on 14 shots, and the Cavs never led in a loss to the visiting Sixers, Smith is expected to “resume his starting shooting guard spot Saturday when the Cavs host the Denver Nuggets,” according to ESPN.

The bad news? It sounds like J.R. was more accurate with a tureen of chicken noodle than he’s been with a Spalding this year, which is costly and hurtful. Well, it probably doesn’t hurt as much as getting hit by a bowl of soup, but still: not great.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:36 pm

It was pea soup, and it was a vegetable bowl full of it. So? only one game??????
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/hard-find-eastern-conference-team-believe-160611354.html

Whoever comes out of the East will get torched by either Houston or Golden State in my opinion. We're not ready this year to win the whole thing. There are days watching us play where I don't even think we'll get out of the first round. We'll have our hands full with a healthy Sixer team, Milwaukee or even Miami. I could see any of those first round matchups going six or even seven games.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:33 am

I will say, the scariest thought is Lebron going to Philly. They will be one powerhouse of a team. They not only have Simmons and Embid, they have Covington who I think is a terrific player, Saric who can shoots the lights out, and a decent bench. Very, very strong team.

So...the garbage about tanking worked for them.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I will say, the scariest thought is Lebron going to Philly.  They will be one powerhouse of a team. They not only have Simmons and Embid, they have Covington who I think is a terrific player, Saric who can shoots the lights out, and a decent bench. Very, very strong team.  

So...the garbage about tanking worked for them.
Heard one of the talking heads on the radio say he thought the best thing for Bron to do is retire.  

As it’s always been about him chasing championships and he is still 3 behind Jordan he doesn’t have the years left to go to the wrong team.  

Retire till after the trading deadline next season and sign on as a free agent with any team he wants that has a good chance to win a title. 

My thought...... I don’t know if his enormous ego would settle for a small paycheck in exchange for a ring?

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am

his ego won't let him retire. he is convinced he is the greatest of all time, period. Jordan's memory haunts him. So he will go where he thinks he can be the ultimate hero.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 am

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2018/3/3/17074290/new-orleans-pelicans-nba-free-agent-jordan-crawford-walter-lemon

New Orleans Pelicans should consider bringing back Jordan Crawford

If the front office is in search of an explosive scorer off the bench, how about a familiar face?

By prestonellis@PrestonEllis  Mar 3, 2018, 12:00am CST

Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

The New Orleans Pelicans have been rumored in connection to several recently waived players including Corey Brewer, Shabazz Muhammad and Sean Kilpatrick. For the time being, though, the team has settled on Walter Lemon Jr., as he’s going to remain with New Orleans via a second 10-day contract.

The 25-year-old developmental prospect was added from the G League in order to utilize his penchant for breaking down opponents off the dribble and scoring in waves. In three appearances, however, Lemon Jr. has combined to score four points on 2-6 shooting, one assist and one turnover. Yes, he’s only played a grand total of 14 minutes, but the team hasn’t played well during his time on the floor as evidenced by his plus/minus numbers: -5 against the Spurs, -8 against Phoenix and -4 against the Heat.

The fact is, the stats and eye-tests conclude that Walter Lemon Jr. needs further development, and in the words of Marc Gasol: ”They have a league for that.”

One player who does not need further development is 29-year-old “Michael” Jordan Crawford — as he was affectionately known by Pelicans fans last season.

Player...................................Games...Minutes...Points...Rebounds...Assists...FG%......3PT%
2016-17 Jordan Crawford........19.........23.3.......14.1......1.8............3.0.......48.2%....38.9%

As you can see, Crawford hit the ground running from the moment he rolled up in his Pelicans’ short shorts and hit the court. An “irrational confidence” guy personified, “Instant Grits” quickly lit a stick of dynamite under the Pelicans’ second unit, and he found excellent chemistry with Anthony Davis, often finding him for those oh so sweet alley oops that Rajon Rondo has made all but uninteresting with its prevalence and efficiency this season.

“Instant Grits” posted a positive net rating, even while playing with the bench for the majority of his minutes, and last season marks of 39% from three and 48% from two would currently slot him as the Pelicans’ third most efficient scorer, with a 56.7% effective field goal percentage.

So why hasn’t anyone shown any interest? According to Jordan himself, several teams have.

Jordan has had a series of bad breaks. The Pelicans were tremendously short-handed at the outset of the season, with injuries to Alexis Ajinca, Omer Asik, Solomon Hill, Frank Jackson and Rajon Rondo.

With the core muscle injury suffered by Rondo and the struggles of Jrue Holiday out of the gates, the Pelicans needed a quick fix at point guard and they settled on Jameer Nelson. Nelson’s stellar play proved pivotal in righting the ship very early in the season, as he led the floundering squad in wins over the Lakers and Kings.

But now that Nelson is a member of the Pistons, why not give Crawford a second look?

I consider your confidence to be your greatest asset. Where does that come from?

I’d have to say my parents and my brothers. I’ve been playing basketball for a long time and that was something I always carried with me. I think me being the little brother — following my brother when he was coming up — knowing that he was one of the best basketball players I’ve seen — going against him I got confidence from following him. I just carried that confidence with me. I just always been like that. It helps me to survive in the NBA.

If you could have a poster dunk on any other player framed on your wall, who would be your victim?

It would have to be Shaq. Yeah, ‘cause Shaq is just always talking about himself. It gets on my nerves.

Do you have a nemesis in the league?

Nah, not for real, but me getting a dunk period is going to be live so whoever is on the poster going to know I dunked on ‘em.

As we learned in an interview with Kevin Barrios after last season, “Michael” Jordan Crawford oozes confidence from every pore in his body. Why not add a player who is familiar with the locker room, has experienced success in New Orleans and could add to the Pelicans offensive identity?

Sign him.

Please?

bob
MY NOTE:  At this point it's not looking like Danny is going to make another roster change but, if he did, would Mr. Herky-Jerky be a good signing?  He certainly would fix any scoring off the bench problems we might have.  He knows Brad and his system.  Brad even turned him into a decent point guard.  Watching him in green again might put me into some kind of epileptic seizure, but I'm willing to take one for the team if it'll help us.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:45 am

If you remember, Brad took a real liking to Crawford, AT TIMES!!

It seems to me that Danny is gun shy a little about messing up the "chemistry" on this team. But having a gun slinger on the bench would be nice, but, like you, I am not sure I could go thru a game with Crawford and Smart shooting from wherever, whenever. This might send me over the edge! Why not Brewer?
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Jordan Crawford is still in the NBA? NO. Just no.

Give those shots to Rozier, Monroe, Theis, even Larkin. No thanks.
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Anthony Davis went to the locker room holding his left side.  Barely got through the double doors and bent double.  If I had to guess I'd say badly bruised ribs.

He walked off the court and went straight to the locker room, didn't even slow down at the bench.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

My one and only other team that I root for the Brooklyn Nets giving the Warriors all they can handle, behind over 20, end the half up 5 !!! Brooklyn was hometown to the great Red Auerbach and they’ve really done a great job in revamping that team even though their record sucks.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:37 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/nuggets-benched-nikola-jokic-old-issues-surface-denver-204147395.html

The Nuggets benched Nikola Jokic, and the same old issues surface in Denver

Ben Rohrbach
Yahoo SportsMarch 7, 2018

It was only a fortnight ago that Denver Nuggets coach Mike Malone told reporters after a big win over San Antonio that Nikola Jokic “should be in the MVP conversation. He is one of the best all-around players in the game — not young players, not big guys, not small guys; he is one of the best players in the NBA right now, and he’s proving it against the best teams and the best players every single night.”

Two weeks later, with a playoff spot on the line and his team trailing the lottery-bound Dallas Mavericks in what’s essentially a must-win game, Malone benched Jokic for the entire fourth quarter.

What gives?

“Coach’s decision,” Malone told the media after a 118-107 loss that dropped his team into ninth place.

Added Jokic:

Gina Mizell
✔️
@ginamizell
Nikola Jokic said there was not an immediate postgame conversation between him and Malone about why he did not play in the fourth quarter: "I don’t know what to say ... I think that’s a normal thing. It’s a coach’s decision." #Nuggets

9:02 PM - Mar 6, 2018

Malone never specifically called Jokic out during a five-minute postgame interview, but the Nuggets coach repeatedly questioned his team’s effort, specifically with respect to defending the 3-point line, where the Mavs made 15 of their 27 attempts — the biggest factor in a brutal loss for a playoff hopeful.

Malone made 3-point defense a point of emphasis both before the game and at halftime. With 3:41 left in the third quarter, Mavericks big man Nerlens Noel screened Nuggets guard Gary Harris. As Dallas rookie Dennis Smith Jr. came around the pick to drain a pull-up jumper, Jokic never budged. Malone immediately called a timeout and sent Mason Plumlee to the scorer’s table to sub for Jokic.

Jokic never returned. Neither did starting point guard Jamal Murray.

Smith’s 3-pointer completed a 17-3 run for the Mavericks midway through the third quarter that transformed a four-point deficit into a double-digit lead. As Denver trimmed the Dallas lead to five midway through the fourth, Malone stuck with reserves Trey Lyles and Malik Beasley instead.

“I think overall our effort was lacking, overall this was a bad game for us,” added Malone, “but there were certain individuals who I thought had good games. I think Trey Lyles had a good game. He was aggressive. He attacked. I thought Malik Beasley had a good game. He was aggressive. He defended.”

The loss briefly bumped the Nuggets out of the eighth spot in the Western Conference, before a Los Angeles Clippers loss to the New Orleans Pelicans moved them right back into the final playoff seed.

The Nuggets are even with the Clippers in the loss column and one game up on the 10th-place Utah Jazz. With 4.5 games separating eight teams in the crowded West playoff picture, no team can afford a loss to one of the league’s bottom feeders. That’s especially true for Denver, which hosts the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night and still has a seven-game road trip left on its schedule.

So, it has to be a concern for the Nuggets that their franchise player and coach didn’t see eye to eye on effort in a playoff race. The defense has been a concern for Denver all year and long before that, even predating Jokic’s emergence as a rookie sensation in 2015. The Serbian big man is no great defender, but his vast offensive skillset makes the Nuggets significantly better with him on the floor.

Denver Nuggets star Nikola Jokic and coach Mike Malone have a complicated relationship. (AP)

The push and pull of this player-coach relationship is nothing new. Malone went into much greater detail with ESPN’s Zach Lowe when he benched Jokic for a lack of defensive effort this past November:

“When s*** doesn’t go your way, sometimes you become a baby,” Malone told Jokic, via Lowe. “You take bad fouls. You take bad shots. Your body language does this and that. You think it’s just about you. But what do you think Jamal [Murray] is looking at? What do you think Gary Harris is looking at? All eyes are on you. If you do that stuff, it filters down. At the end of the day, Nikola knows I love him.”

Lowe’s piece laid out the problem with putting such a heavy burden on a 23-year-old Jokic’s shoulders, with relying on a cast of good-but-not-great players around him, and with incorporating a 33-year-old Paul Millsap into that mix. A wrist injury delayed that process by three months, and in the four games since MIllsap returned, Jokic’s offense has fallen from sensational to mere mortal levels.

The Nuggets can afford to live with Jokic’s porous defense so long as he keeps the offense operating at an elite level, but on nights like Wednesday when he scored just four points on nine shots, Malone is faced with a decision — ride with the franchise cornerstone or patch together a defense on the fly.

We know the choice Malone made against the Mavs, and it didn’t produce the results he intended. At least for now. Problem is, the Nuggets coach is running out of time to fix issues that have plagued them for years now, and missing the playoff by a single game for a second straight season won’t help.

Malone gave up hope on a player who might’ve made a difference in favor of sending a message in a game they desperately needed, and that brings us to another crossroads: Is Jokic the future superstar many imagine him to be? And is Malone the man to get him there? Teams generally come down on the side of a still-developing star, so Malone may have put more on the line than a playoff spot when he decided to bench Jokic. Malone sent his message. The question now is whether Jokic answers the call.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 am

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
8 hours ago
Bulls w/Mirotic: 13-10, w/out: 8-32 Pelicans w/Mirotic 10-3, w/out: 28-23 Mirotic for MVP and HOF

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Statistical coincidence or "ball don't lie"?

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am

bobheckler wrote:Anthony Davis went to the locker room holding his left side.  Barely got through the double doors and bent double.  If I had to guess I'd say badly bruised ribs.

He walked off the court and went straight to the locker room, didn't even slow down at the bench.

bob

Jennifer Hale

Verified account

@JenHale504
Follow Follow @JenHale504
More
Latest on AD: that left ankle is swelling significantly. The @PelicansNBA will know more after they see how the plane ride back to Nola affects that ankle. MRI scheduled already for tomorrow.

9:28 PM - 7 Mar 2018 from Sacramento, CA

bob
MY NOTE:  This is another injury.  The one I saw didn't have him limping at all.  Anthony Davis is turning into a bubble boy.   What a shame.   Sad

Here's the link to see his latest.  

https://twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/status/971606212541218816

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Toronto beat Houston last night, in Toronto.  Toronto has the best home record in the NBA and is 3 games ahead of us in the loss column. Unlike our miracle win in Boston over Houston, Toronto got out in front of them and stayed in front the whole game. Toronto is for real, especially at home.

Catching them, I believe, is going to require a serious injury to one of their big 3:  Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka.  I'm not wishing for it, I'm just saying that's what I think it will take.

If the playoffs started today we'd be hosting Miami, but there is only a 1 game difference between Milwaukee (which is tied with Miami at 35-31, but is in 8th) and Philly in 6th at 35-29.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Lakers making the Cavaliers look bad, locking us into 2nd place.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:Lakers making the Cavaliers look bad, locking us into 2nd place.

bob

No fight or defense at all on Cavs, it’s gonna be us or Toronto going to Finals, Raptors have deep bench and can get after it on defense.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Lakers making the Cavaliers look bad, locking us into 2nd place.

bob

No fight or defense at all on Cavs, it’s gonna be us or Toronto going to Finals, Raptors have deep bench and can get after it on defense.

And they have the league's best record @ home.  Going to be VERY tough this year.

Julius Randle with 36 points, 14 rebounds and 7 assists tonight.  He is a RFA next year, like Smart.  A smart GM would sign him as a point forward, especially coming off the bench.  He has zero outside game, which makes him an anathema in today's NBA, but he has a great handle for a player his size, penetrates and finishes well near the rim, and had potential for creating.  

Marcus Smart is our back up point guard and, truth be told, our only point guard.  Brad likes running our offense through our bigs.  Randle could fill that bill.

He didn't do well as a starter in his first few years but he is very effective off the bench.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum