This and That

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: This and That

Post by beat on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 am

k_j_88 wrote:Rozier's consistency (or lack thereof) will have a lot to do with how this team plays. He's a major part of the rotation and he needs to score.

He defends well and can rebound, but he'll miss open shots and turn the ball over, too.


KJ
Your last line......

He defends well and can rebound, but he'll miss open shots and turn the ball over


Sounds like any almost every other player on this team.

beat
avatar
beat

Posts : 6929
Join date : 2009-10-13
Age : 64

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by worcester on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am

Terry's biggest deficiency is lack of peripheral vision and inability to see other players to whom he should pass. He just doesn't have PG instincts, which is too bad for such an otherwise talented player.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5312
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 am

Terry's has improved his 3 point shooting to a very respectable 37%. I have to agree with Worcester about his PG instincts. He spends a lot of time just dribbling around up top.

He is a fierce competitor and a solid defender and rebounder. He should derive some benefit from watching how Kyrie does it. He needs to work on running the pick and roll. And he needs to finish at the rim by not trying to avoid contact. He is an excellent free throw shooter. He is almost a double digit scorer off the bench. His shooting suffers mostly when he drifts to the left on his shot.

He is built for fast break basketball.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by worcester on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am

And a bargain at his current pay rate.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5312
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Rondo with 18 assists as Pels beat Sixers 131-124
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by steve3344 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 am

dboss wrote:Rondo with 18 assists as Pels beat Sixers 131-124

And he's averaged 11.4 assists and 11.8 points per game on 61% FG shooting (and 47% on threes) his last five games helping the Pelicans to average 120 points per game in that span. Looks like he enjoys having Cousins and Anthony Davis to pass to.

steve3344

Posts : 3771
Join date : 2009-10-27
Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Celtics have 12 games remaining this year.

They have 4 road games left beginning tonight @Chicago. The 3 remaining road game are @ Indiana, Memphis and NYK. Two competitive home games on the schedule include the Xmas day meeting at with Washington and the December 28th matchup with offensive powerhouse Houston.

The tough games will be @ Indiana and home against Washington and Houston.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by gyso on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 pm

dboss wrote:Celtics have 12 games remaining this year.

They have 4 road games left beginning tonight @Chicago.  The 3 remaining road game are @ Indiana, Memphis and NYK.  Two competitive home games on the schedule include the Xmas day meeting at with Washington and the December 28th matchup with offensive powerhouse Houston.

The tough games will be @ Indiana and home against Washington and Houston.

dboss

You missed an away game, at Charlotte on the 27th. That makes the Houston game even tougher, since it is the second game of a back to back.

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 12488
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Good catch.

Yes that certainly will make the Houston game a big test.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Brooklyn pick for 2018 not looking so Golden.

DA moved the pick at the right time to get the right player.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by bobheckler on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Sacramento wins in Philly.  That gives Sacto 10 wins and ties them with the Lakers.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 37556
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by bobheckler on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:30 pm

And the Bucks beat Cleveland. Nice.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 37556
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by jrleftfoot on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 am

bobheckler wrote:Credit to the Lakers last night.  They took GSW to OT.  Ingram with a big night, 32 on 12-21.  Randle with 20.  Not a good defender but he can score.  Clarkson with 21.  4 Lakers >20 points and Ball had 15.

The Dubs were all healthy and playing, so no excuse or explanation there.

A promising game for the Lakers, could be a harbinger of things to come.  Current status, however, is that they are tied for 8th worst with Brooklyn.


bob


.
but, but , Ingram`s a bust. Wink
avatar
jrleftfoot

Posts : 656
Join date : 2016-07-07

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by swish on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 am

jrleftfoot wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Credit to the Lakers last night.  They took GSW to OT.  Ingram with a big night, 32 on 12-21.  Randle with 20.  Not a good defender but he can score.  Clarkson with 21.  4 Lakers >20 points and Ball had 15.

The Dubs were all healthy and playing, so no excuse or explanation there.

A promising game for the Lakers, could be a harbinger of things to come.  Current status, however, is that they are tied for 8th worst with Brooklyn.


bob


.
but, but , Ingram`s a bust. Wink

Just some Celtics posters making early career predictions (perhaps based on wishful thinking) about a player who has had a very limited career thus far. For a 6'9" bag of bones he sure does play with reckless abandon.

swish

swish

Posts : 2452
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by jrleftfoot on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 pm

I  agree , swish. Sometimes the evil in me comes out.
avatar
jrleftfoot

Posts : 656
Join date : 2016-07-07

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 pm

The Lakers winning percentage this year @ .344% vs last year on 12/20/2016 @ .355 reveals that any perception that this is a better team has not translated into winning more games.  But they are a better team and are more competitive.

The Lakers have 10 wins thus far which puts them at 5th from the bottom.  However I would put them somewhere between 8th or 9th because there are 8 teams out there that have more losses than they do.  Those 8 teams have played more games than LA and have been equally bad.  Chicago has started to show some life winning 6 straight.

Getting the 5th spot remains a long shot but it is still in play.  

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by swish on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm

dboss wrote:The Lakers winning percentage this year @ .344% vs last year on 12/20/2016 @ .355 reveals that any perception that this is a better team has not translated into winning more games.  But they are a better team and are more competitive.

The Lakers have 10 wins thus far which puts them at 5th from the bottom.  However I would put them somewhere between 8th or 9th because there are 8 teams out there that have more losses than they do.  Those 8 teams have played more games than LA and have been equally bad.  Chicago has started to show some life winning 6 straight.

Getting the 5th spot remains a long shot but it is still in play.  

dboss


With about 50 games to go theirs a lot of ups and downs to go through before we can expect to have a final answer to the order of finish. At this point in time speculation is quite interesting, but never the less, premature.


swish

swish

Posts : 2452
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Did you know that just about every team is shooting the 3 ball a lot?

The league average is 28.8 3PA per game.

Did you know that Boston is 7th in 3PA but 10th in team percentage of 37%

Did you know that around 88 NBA players are shooting at least 36% from behind the arc?  or that 45 are at or above 40%?

Did you know that Houston leads the league by a wide margin in 3PA?  They put up 43.2 3PA per game.  It represent 52% of all shots taken per game.  Their percentage however is 13th in the league at .368

Houston is second in the league in scoring behind Golden State.  Has Mike D'Antoni come up with the formula to win it all?    I bet you are thinking about how Houston is similar to Golden State.  But guess again Golden State takes 30.6 3PA per game just like Boston but GS leads the league with a very impressive 40%.  

Houston has the best record in the NBA at 25-4 so most fans think they are great.  But wait a minute.  Not so fast.  Houston has played 18 games against below .500 teams and only 11 games against teams at or above .500  Let's see how they do going against winning teams and see is they are able to maintain the same level of consistency.  Golden State also has played 17 bad teams and 13 good teams.  Boston has a more even spread at 17 good and 16 bad.

I have begrudgingly accepted the fact that the game has changed to a perimeter game on offense and since more and more players are becoming very good at making shots from distance offenses have aligned themselves accordingly.

However watching a team take more than 50% of their shots from behind the arc has a diminishing effect on the game.  The league should get rid of zone defenses so that teams will be less reliant on 3 point shooting.  I prefer to see a diverse offense where scoring takes place in all 3 areas of the court.  

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by Phil Pressey on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:14 pm

steve3344 wrote:
dboss wrote:Rondo with 18 assists as Pels beat Sixers 131-124

And he's averaged 11.4 assists and 11.8 points per game on 61% FG shooting (and 47% on threes) his last five games helping the Pelicans to average 120 points per game in that span. Looks like he enjoys having Cousins and Anthony Davis to pass to.

I offered a trade proposal of Rozier for Rondo and got my head ripped off. But he would be the kind of addition that could take pressure off of the second unit, perhaps even Marcus Smart. I'd rather have Rondo and Smart for the bench guards than Rozier and Smart. Just my opinion. Rondo only makes $3.3 million. Haha, only. Anyway, I know Danny has to think long-term, but Rajon is down to one year left for a contract, so it wouldn't be risky. I want to try to get #18 this year.
avatar
Phil Pressey

Posts : 1959
Join date : 2017-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
dboss wrote:Rondo with 18 assists as Pels beat Sixers 131-124

And he's averaged 11.4 assists and 11.8 points per game on 61% FG shooting (and 47% on threes) his last five games helping the Pelicans to average 120 points per game in that span. Looks like he enjoys having Cousins and Anthony Davis to pass to.

I offered a trade proposal of Rozier for Rondo and got my head ripped off. But he would be the kind of addition that could take pressure off of the second unit, perhaps even Marcus Smart. I'd rather have Rondo and Smart for the bench guards than Rozier and Smart. Just my opinion. Rondo only makes $3.3 million. Haha, only. Anyway, I know Danny has to think long-term, but Rajon is down to one year left for a contract, so it wouldn't be risky. I want to try to get #18 this year.

Phil there is NO poster on this board that is a bigger fan than me when it comes to Rajon Rondo.  I know you do not have a lot of faith in Rozier and repeatedly call him out during game on threads.  I understand that.  He is not a pure point guard and he can frustrate the hell out of us with his mumble jumble play at times.  Terry is 2 years and 34 games into his career and at age 23 he is still developing.  He averages 8.7 PPG, 2 assists and 4.3 rebounds.  He shoots 36% from deep and 80% from the line.  He is a backup point guard.   How many games have we watched where the shot goes up and out of nowhere he comes down with the rebound.  And just when you think he is not making enough baskets he hits a three showing near perfect form, balance and touch?  He is a developing player and as such he is in fact getting better.

Danny added Larkin during the off season and I think his value has been on display given limited opportunities.  So we have 4 PG's on the team already.  Rajon is a seasoned PG veteran and a great guy to run HIS offense.  The Celtics are not PG centric in running their offense.  Of all positions, the offense actually runs through Al Horford.  Rajon got traded with a one-way ticket out of town with no return date.  He was an excellent PG when the big three where the focal point of the offense because he clearly understood how to distribute the candy.  Down in NO he is doing a great job feeding their pigs (Cousins and Davis)  It is likely that Rondo stays in N'orleans.  

In sum I would not trade Rozier for Rondo straight up and I do not think that Rondo would be a free agent target at the end of the year.  Danny was not interested in signing him this off season even given his splendid play with Chicago against us in the playoffs.  PG is really not a need for this team.  

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by Phil Pressey on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Dboss, thanks for the response.

You make great points, no sarcasm, but I still disagree with you on the need for a pg. Danny may not have to trade for one. Internally it would have to be Marcus Smart. Rozier has been a pleasant surprise with assists to turnovers, but he can't do that in volume.

I didn't know his three point ptc. is that good. The 38% on twos is killing his stats.

I don't think of Rozier yet as a player who could haunt Danny. The thought of losing Smart terrifies me. I could be wrong. I do like Rozier. I was thinking more of Rondo as a better fit for this season and Rozier could have decent trade value for small trades. I guess even if I'm correct, the Pelicans might not want to trade Rondo. And yeah, Rozier is young but gradually becoming a consistent pro, so neither side might want to make that trade.

Horford is outstanding as a facilitator and does make the lack of depth at pg easier to mask. But I disagree with you that Larkin and Rozier are point guards. I don't think they are even combo guards unless that means anyone who can dribble it up the court before dishing it off to the center and then into the motion offense.

I think the team should use both motion passing and more traditional pg work. And Brad Stevens has gone there before with Pressey, Crawford and Turner.

And although the likelihood of any trade speculation is usually close to 0% happening, I don't think Rondo got a one-way ticket. I don't think there is 0% chance of his returning. I don't believe that bridge has been burned unless you mean it was a one-way ticket for that time in the past. I would agree with that.
avatar
Phil Pressey

Posts : 1959
Join date : 2017-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:Dboss, thanks for the response.

You make great points, no sarcasm, but I still disagree with you on the need for a pg. Danny may not have to trade for one. Internally it would have to be Marcus Smart. Rozier has been a pleasant surprise with assists to turnovers, but he can't do that in volume.

I didn't know his three point ptc. is that good. The 38% on twos is killing his stats.

I don't think of Rozier yet as a player who could haunt Danny. The thought of losing Smart terrifies me. I could be wrong. I do like Rozier. I was thinking more of Rondo as a better fit for this season and Rozier could have decent trade value for small trades. I guess even if I'm correct, the Pelicans might not want to trade Rondo. And yeah, Rozier is young but gradually becoming a consistent pro, so neither side might want to make that trade.

Horford is outstanding as a facilitator and does make the lack of depth at pg easier to mask. But I disagree with you that Larkin and Rozier are point guards. I don't think they are even combo guards unless that means anyone who can dribble it up the court before dishing it off to the center and then into the motion offense.

I think the team should use both motion passing and more traditional pg work. And Brad Stevens has gone there before with Pressey, Crawford and Turner.

And although the likelihood of any trade speculation is usually close to 0% happening, I don't think Rondo got a one-way ticket. I don't think there is 0% chance of his returning. I don't believe that bridge has been burned unless you mean it was a one-way ticket for that time in the past. I would agree with that.

Phil

I do not believe that the offensive problems that Boston is having is due to poor point guard play.  

Therefore the notion that they need to make a trade for a PG is not something that I think that they will do.  But you did not mention trading for any PG but specifically for Rajon Rondo who plays for NOLA with fellow KY alumni Davis and Cousins.

You are correct that there is not 0% chance that the Celtics will trade or sign him next year.  It could happen.  For example at the end of the year Marcus Smart will be an UFA.  If he got an offer that exceeded what Boston was willing to match they will let him walk.  If that happened and Danny and Brad believed that Rondo could come in and be the BU point guard and/or move into a starting role if Kyrie was out then that is certainly a possibility.

If Cousins is resigned by NOLA and they also have no intentions on moving Davis Rondo is very likely to resign with them as a free agent provided they give him more than $3 million per.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by dboss on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 pm

The beard with B2B 51 point games and they lose again.

Houston 2 straight loses at home.  Every Team goes through ups and downs
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8193
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by steve3344 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Blazers just beat the Lakers in L.A. 95-92 without Damian Lillard.

This loss for L.A. makes up for the road win they got in Houston.

steve3344

Posts : 3771
Join date : 2009-10-27
Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:42 am

Dboss I’m hoping/thinking Kyrie noticed those 2 losses by Houston, even though Harden scored 51 points in each game....that as good as he is at hero ball, the team plays better and more efficiently when the 2 J’s go off and have big games. We might have the best wing tandem in the league right now in the 2 J’s and next year we surely will as they will be another year improved and we get Hayward back....next year is our year.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 13673
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: This and That

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum