Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History

+3
worcester
pete
sdceltfan
7 posters

Go down

Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History Empty Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History

Post by sdceltfan Sun May 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Rajon Rondo just played one of the best, most complete games in NBA history. INCREDIBLE, AWESOME, UNBELIEVEABLE, FANTASTIC. I feel so thrilled to have seen such a performance. I was just flabbergasted that Rondo could make so many great decisions and plays. Will never forget this performance. Celts will continue to need great performances from Rondo. He's going to need more help from Garnett, Pierce, and Allen.

Bench played great today. Tony Allen needs to continue to get more playing time.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History Empty Re: Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History

Post by pete Sun May 09, 2010 10:11 pm

Sam,

You have been following the NBA a lot longer than most of us. I would love to hear your thoughts on Rondo's play today. Whether you choose to compare him, or this game to a player, or game in the past is up to you. I have only been watching since the mid 80s, and I am at a loss of who to compare, or how to explain this incredible talent.This kid continues to surprise, amaze, and delight me, and whatever any other adjectives you can come up with.

I personally have never seen anything/anyone like it/him!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History Empty Re: Rondo Plays One Of The Best Games In Playoff History

Post by worcester Sun May 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Yes Rondo played an incredible game I'll always remember. And to add a little perspective, here's another great performance from March 23, 1953 in a quadruple overtime playoff win against Syracuse:

Boston MIN FG-FGA FT-FTA REB AST PF PTS

Bob Cousy 66 10-22 30-32 3 2 5 50

Actually Cooz played 67.5 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 10, 2010 12:26 am

rondo welcome to the pantheon
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon May 10, 2010 2:14 am

Pete, my favorite game by a single Celtic will always be the one mentioned by Worcester. It goes well beyond the simple stats, because it was literally a rock 'em sock 'em game, with a great Syracuse planer (Dolph Schayes) and a Celtics "policeman" (Bob Brannum) being ejected in the first quarter for fighting (advantage Celts). Thereafter, Al Cervi of the Nats kept jabbing at Cousy, trying to bait him into a fight. And the amazing thing to me about Cooz' game was not that he scored 50 points or made 30 of 32 free throws or tied the game in each overtime to send it into the next one (including 5 points in the last 15 seconds of the next-to-last overtime without the benefit of a 3-point field goal rule). It was that this fiery Frenchman kept his cool and resisted Cervi's baiting attempts and one of those left standing when all but four players from each time had fouled out. (They allowed the fifth to stay in the game but awarded a technical foul with each succeeding foul he committed.)

Statistically, what made this game by Rondo so special, of course, were the rebounds. A lot of "small" players have had large number of points and assists. But to add all those rebounds at the same time was amazing; and I believe four of them were offensive. And, after the game, Doc felt that the most incredible part of Rondo's game was the ball pressure he maintained.

As you know, I'm not one to linger in touting one player's excellence as opposed to that of the team. And there are players (Havlicek and Russ come to mind) who have played equally or more dominant games in ways that didn't have such statistical ramifications in distant, "statistically deprived" games. But this game by Rondo deserves a spot way up there in Celtics history.

In fact, I don't think anyone has talked about the full-court pressure Doc put on the ball when the chips were down. Not for long (because Rondo and others had to be gassed), but for long enough to take the rhythm out of the Cavs offensive flow. Heinsohn must have been absolutely beside himself with joy.

While I'm on a rant, this game featured a resumption (missing in the previous game) of motion in the Celtics' offense. I've been noticing a tendency, especially, for them to form a veritable weave vertically on the left side. Sometimes, I'm so thrilled by that motion that I can't take my eyes off it and miss important other stuff. It's really a throwback.

And one more thought (rant?) about this game by Rondo, along with a reason why the team factor is important. When the Celtics (notably Pierce) play as they did tonight, they really have only three points of attack: Rondo, KG and Ray. Tony represented a surprise fourth point in this one. But great Celtics teams of the past (particularly in the 50s and 60s had so many points of attack that at least a couple of them could be off their game and others would take up the slack.

This team, as it played tonight, was desperate for the impact Rondo made. I'm not sure if that highlights a Rondo strength or a team weakness. But, whichever is the case, it made for a rather unconventional scenario that singles out Rondo's performance all the more.

And finally (it's 1:34 in the morning, and I've still got a full head of steam), we should all pause for a moment and be grateful that we're watching such a series. None of us, for the rest of our lifetimes, will ever have to say that we never saw that best of what playoff basketball can offer. I'd wager I've seen as much Celtics playoff basketball as anyone on the board; and a game like tonight's is still as arresting as most playoff games I've seen. There have been others that were more totally gripping (including that Syracuse game, last second Celtics playoff wins, the Russell "Coleman" game, etc.). But this game had that back-and-forth component, from the first quarter onward, that raises basketball to a higher level of excellence. Bang, adjustment, wham, counter-adjustment, a run here, adjust ment, a run there, counter-adjustment, and the battered and bruised last guy standing wins.

And I'm not through yet. Now—right now—is when all that chemistry I've been talking about pays off, along with sheer grit. When both teams are lurching around, it's a lot more difficult for one guy to dominate. It's when anticipation of your teammate's actions wins games. Guys sucking it up and filling lanes when they see a teammate (in this case, often Rondo) grabbing a rebound. (I wonder if Tony has stopped panting yet.) Baby and KG sensing where loose balls were going to wind up. The touchdown passes to KG and Baby (who may not be mentioned as much as he should be in this one). The defensive jumpouts and recoveries on Lebron. The multiple Celtics on the defensive boards, blocking out and preventing Varejao from playing his offensive rebounding ping pong game. Even Paul Pierce playing fine D on Lebron in the stretch, not hanging his head, and perfectly timing his dash and slam near the end.

Okay, I'm done. But I reserve the right to enthuse some more. Because this team deserves it. Oops, no I'm not done. There are people who need to learn the difference between fortitude and excution. Call it guts, ganas, or whatever, a lot of people have been confusing the lack of it with being out-executed. This is a great team the Celtics are facing. The Cavs are arguably deeper in terms of impact players who can take advantage of Celtics vulnerabilities.

Therefore, there are times when the Celtics are being outplayed. In Game Three, they were outplayed badly enough that they became dispirited, which had the appearance of lacking heart. The same thing happened much more often during that looooooooong portion of the regular season when they seemed to be putting one step forward and stumbling one step backward. I don't believe this team has ever lacked heart, although—like other mortals—they might be more mentally up for some games than others.

Players and a team either have heart or they don't. They don't lack it in one game but magically regain it in the next. But they are NOT automotons. The playoffs dramatize the huge swings of emotion and inspiration that influence all of us; the difference is that, instead being spread over a lifetime, these emotions and inspiration are packed into 48 minutes. But, as I've tried to maintain throughout the season, execution (or lack of it) has a tremendous effect on player mentalities and energy. In fact, I believe execution generally affects energy more than the reverse; that's why I talk about the importance of correctly distinguishing cause from effect out there.

You can just bet that, after KG's jam off a made Cavs basket, the mentality of the Cavs took a hit. But that doesn't mean they lack ganas because, as I said above, they either have them or they don't. They don't possess some ganas faucet that they try to tuck into their (and I use the word loosely) shorts.

The Celtics have ganas. They have them in spades. The analytical focus needs to be on execution: the excellence of the game plan and their ability to follow it faithfully; the timeliness of adjustments (another great quick timeout by Doc today, by the way); the speed of adaptation to adjustments by the other team; focus on controlling the game pace; synergy with teammates; etc. Toward the end of the game, ganas sometimes become more important, along with class under pressure.

As for this one, to paraphrase an old saying: It was a game...and what a game it was.

Go Celtics!

Sam

P.S. to Pete: Somewhere in there, did I answer your question?
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 am

Sam,

You certainly did, thank you, great read. The fact that you view it as something special, says it all.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 am

Only one that comes close to this for me was Hondo vs the Bucks in 74. His put back over a flat footed Jabbar seemed very similar. And took place about the same time in that game too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

Sam glad the game brought out your A game,great accurate in depth post

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 am

.....just wanted to add we know Rondo is an athletic freak for 6'1",we know how he can do it both ends and all the intangibles he has.....but the way he has stepped up in these BIG playoff games this year and last year has shown me hes HoF material,hes still young and will only get better,wait till he hits that 12-15 footer,hes already hitting it better......next year hes gonna move to the head of the class,considered even better than C Paul and Deron Williams.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

Cow

And where has Paul and Deron gotten their teams?
I think he's already moved their and is at least their equal. Throw a consistand 15-18 foot jumper in there and he passes both of them easily.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 am

Cow, The woman in your avatar - I'll give you 2 front row playoff seats at the Garden if you'll introduce me. W
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down