Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own

+3
dboss
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own Empty Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am

http://www.telegram.com/news/20171206/celtics-rookie-daniel-theis-proves-he-can-hold-his-own

Celtics: Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own

By Bill Doyle 
Telegram & Gazette Staff 

Posted Dec 6, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Updated Dec 6, 2017 at 10:39 PM
   [url=https://www.addtoany.com/share#url=http%3A%2F%2Ftelegram.com%2Fnews%2F20171206%2Fceltics-rookie-daniel-theis-proves-he-can-hold-his-own&title=Celtics%3A Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own][/url]

BOSTON — Only five Germans play in the NBA. Three of them suited up Wednesday night at the Garden.
Rookie Daniel Theis came off the bench for the Celtics. Rookie Maxi Kleber started the Mavericks, and another guy you may have heard of, Dirk Nowitzki, also started for Dallas.

Theis, 25, said he didn’t grow up idolizing Nowitzki, who led the Mavs to the 2011 NBA championship and is now in his 20th season with the team.

“I don’t know him,” Theis said before the Celtics defeated Dallas, 97-90.

They may not know each other, but Nowitzki was impressed with what he saw of Theis, who grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds and scored seven points in 17:21 off the bench.

“I like him,” Nowitzki said. “He’s active. He’s way more athletic than you think. He’s long. He’s a really good rebounder, a really good roller, and he’s smart.”

Kleber, also 25, did look up to Nowitzki while growing up. He and Nowitzki are both from the same city in Germany, Wurzburg. When he was 12, Kleber had his picture taken with Nowitzki. Now they’re teammates.
The other Germans in the league are Atlanta guard Dennis Schroder and Chicago forward Paul Zipser.

“It think it shows that German basketball is growing from year to year,” Theis said. “I think there are more coming.”

Nowitzki rated Schroder as the best German in the NBA today.

“It’s been fun to watch some of those guys come over and play and get big-time roles on their teams,” Nowitzki said.

Usually, a ninth or 10th player in an NBA rotation doesn’t contribute much. Theis, however, usually comes through when given the chance. The 6-foot-8, 245-pound rookie is averaging 4.5 points and 4.2 rebounds in 12½ minutes.

Even though he has played only the 10th most minutes on the team, he ranks third in blocked shots with 19.

“I think it’s my athleticism and my long arms,” Theis said. “Also it’s about timing too. I’ve been doing this for some years.”

“He plays with a high motor,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said, “so he’s always in position or he will not give up on a play until that play is over. I think that’s No. 1. And he’s quick and long. He’s got long arms, and he’s in good position. He moves his feet really well, and I think you add all those things together, and he’s a pretty good defender.”

Theis helped Brose Bamberg win the championship in Germany in each of the last three years. Twice, his teams beat Kleber’s Bayern Munich team in the finals. The two used to play together on the German national team, so the 6-foot-11 Kleber knows Theis as well as anyone.

“He’s a good rebounder,” Kleber said, “he understands where to position himself. He’s a great defender, got good length, and he’s a good finisher around the basket. That makes him a valuable player. He has guards that feed him under the basket, and he’s finishing.”

Theis signed with the Celtics as a free agent in July a week after the Mavs signed Kleber.

With Marcus Smart starting for Jaylen Brown (inflamed eye) and Aron Baynes starting for Marcus Morris (knee), Theis was the first sub off the bench for Boston. In the first half, Kleber gave Theis fits, stealing one of his passes and blocking one of his shots. Theis got the last laugh though. Kleber finished with 13 points and five rebounds. He had only four blocks all season before he blocked five against the Celtics.

Nowitzki, 39, is a 13-time All-Star and a 12-time All-NBA selection, including four first-team appearances. He has scored the most points in the NBA by any non-American and ranks sixth overall.

The 7-footer is no longer an All-Star, but he still is a useful player. He continues to start for Dallas, but he’s averaging only 11.3 points and 5.8 rebounds in 24:49, all his lowest since his rookie year. He’s shooting a career-high 42.2 percent from threeland, but made only 2 of 7 attempts against Boston and finished with 16 points and six rebounds.

“No matter age,” Stevens said, “the way he shoots it, the way he scores it, the attention he demands is tough. You mix it up as much as you can so it’s not one look. He’s not only a great shooter in that spot, he’s a fantastic passer.”

Nowitzki and Kobe Bryant are the only NBA players to have played 20 seasons with the same team. Nowitzki may return next season to break that record.

“It’s going to be his call,” Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said, “and whatever he wants to do I’m 1,000 percent supportive of.”

bob
MY NOTE:  One of the things I like about Theis is that when the ball goes up, or when attention is being focused on a penetrator, his first instinct is to go to the front of the rim and NOT to pop outside for a shot.  He does pick-and-pops, but his bread-and-butter is pick-and-rolls (I haven't had breakfast yet and food metaphors are filling my head.  I'm picturing Theis putting butter on his pick-and-rolls).  I know that the league is moving away from brute force in the paint, that paint play is more off of cuts and slashing than off of Shaq-like pounding people into paste but it's nice to see a few players like Theis and Baynes who still enjoy the game inside.  Opposing greyhounds can't start running when our German Rottweiler and Australian Sheep dog are still fighting for the rebound (hmm.  A hotdog sounds pretty good right now).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own Empty Re: Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 am

Basketball We`re all just digestion machines , essentially. Pound down some grub. Laughing
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own Empty Re: Rookie Daniel Theis proves he can hold his own

Post by dboss Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am

Bob I was just thinking about Theis and was about to post a thread about him.

Theis is an under the radar player that fans are just starting to appreciate. Opposing players do not think much of him until he dunks on them or comes out of no where to contest a shot. He has a very high basketball IQ and is very complimentary to whomever he is out there with.

Theis and Semi have become staples in the rotation because they can play defense. I have to remind myself that they are still rookies although Theis' experience in Germany really makes him a Rookie Veteran. The Celtics do not have a lot of size up front but Stevens knows how to utilize what he does have and extract great productivity from them. Theis has been a pleasant surprise and another really good fit for this team.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Theis is just another very nice addition to this year's team. Congrats to Ainge for almost a complete
overhaul of our roster and still producing a first place team.

I hope that he continues to improve, and with Stevens as the head coach, I guess that he will.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 am

I like him, at first he reminded me of Bobby Jones, but lately also seeing some Dennis Rodman in his game, not quite as active as the Worm, but very long and active....great pick up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:32 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I like him, at first he reminded me of Bobby Jones, but lately also seeing some Dennis Rodman in his game, not quite as active as the Worm, but very long and active....great pick up.

Cow,

I can see the Bobby Jones comparison some, both long and great defenders, but Rodman?  Rodman was elite, he played absolutely textbook position defense and defended multiple positions back in the day when the only coach that was trying to create new positions was Mad Scientist Don Nelson.  Everybody else wanted their players to fit a mold.

Would I be happy if Theis becomes "Worm-like"?  Oh My God YES!!

Where I see similarities with both of those players is that Theis likes to run the floor.  Jones was great at filling the lanes on fast breaks, so was Rodman when he was younger in Detroit.  

Bobby Jones was 9x All Defensive First Team and 1x All Defensive Second Team (he was 2nd team his final year, after 9 straight years of first team, must have decided it was time to retire).  He was 6th Man of the Year and a 5x All-Star.

Dennis Rodman was 10x All-League, 2x All-NBA 3rd Team and 8x All Defensive First Team, 2x DPOY and the best rebounder pound-for-pound in the history of the NBA.  He lead the league in rebounding a record 7 straight years and is still the #1 NBA all-time in career rebounding percentage.  When you consider the league has seen some amazing rebounders (e.g. Wilt, Russ, Moses) that's incredible.  He'd be in the HOF today if they weren't terrified he'd show up at his induction in a silky Vera Wang sundress and wearing 4" spikes.

Look, I like Theis a lot, I've been talking him up ever since I looked at all the film available on him this summer, but Bobby Jones and Dennis Rodman?!  Man, that's like those people saying that Danny Ainge was the next Jerry West when he switched over from baseball.  Danny was a solid starting guard and won 2 Championships, but Jerry West is The Logo.  They should not have done that to Danny.

Ending on a positive note, he has only played 300 NBA minutes, total.  He's only going to get better as he adapts to the speed, strength and refs of the NBA.  He's already doing his job, as defined by Brad.  I know you're not a stats guy, but here's some that should make you feel good.  He's rebounding (12.1 rebs/36mpg vs 10.6 rebs/36mpg for Baynes, and Baynes is playing <18mpg so they are both between 10-20mpg) and he's doing it efficiently (he has the highest Total Rebound Percentage of any player who is playing regular rotation minutes or better), he's blocking shots (he has the highest block %, BY FAR, of any Celtic.  Block Percentage is % of 2pt shots blocked by player while on the floor).  All of these confirm the "eye test", he's rebounding and swatting shots.

The thing I like the most about Theis is that his first instinct is to go to the front of the rim.  If nothing else, that drags a defender or two down there with him and frees up shooters like Kyrie and Tatum.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Theis was a very, very, good find and a super-pleasant surprise.

Great scouting job by the Boston staff.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I like him, at first he reminded me of Bobby Jones, but lately also seeing some Dennis Rodman in his game, not quite as active as the Worm, but very long and active....great pick up.

Cow,

I can see the Bobby Jones comparison some, both long and great defenders, but Rodman?  Rodman was elite, he played absolutely textbook position defense and defended multiple positions back in the day when the only coach that was trying to create new positions was Mad Scientist Don Nelson.  Everybody else wanted their players to fit a mold.

Where I see similarities with both of those players is that Theis likes to run the floor.  Jones was great at filling the lanes on fast breaks, so was Rodman when he was younger in Detroit.  

Bobby Jones was 9x All Defensive First Team and 1x All Defensive Second Team (he was 2nd team his final year, after 9 straight years of first team, must have decided it was time to retire).  He was 6th Man of the Year and a 5x All-Star.

Dennis Rodman was 10x All-League, 2x All-NBA 3rd Team and 8x All Defensive First Team, 2x DPOY and the best rebounder pound-for-pound in the history of the NBA.  He lead the league in rebounding a record 7 straight years and is still the #1 NBA all-time in career rebounding percentage.  When you consider the league has seen some amazing rebounders (e.g. Wilt, Russ, Moses) that's incredible.  He'd be in the HOF today if they weren't terrified he'd show up at his induction in a silky Vera Wang sundress and wearing 4" spikes.

Look, I like Theis a lot, I've been talking him up ever since I looked at all the film available on him this summer, but Bobby Jones and Dennis Rodman?!  Man, that's like those people saying that Danny Ainge was the next Jerry West when he switched over from baseball.  Danny was a solid starting guard and won 2 Championships, but Jerry West is The Logo.  They should not have done that to Danny.

Ending on a positive note, he has only played 300 NBA minutes, total.  He's only going to get better as he adapts to the speed, strength and refs of the NBA.  He's already doing his job, as defined by Brad.  I know you're not a stats guy, but here's some that should make you feel good.  He's rebounding (12.1 rebs/36mpg vs 10.6 rebs/36mpg for Baynes, and Baynes is playing <18mpg so they are both between 10-20mpg) and he's doing it efficiently (he has the highest Total Rebound Percentage of any player who is playing regular rotation minutes or better), he's blocking shots (he has the highest block %, BY FAR, of any Celtic.  Block Percentage is % of 2pt shots blocked by player while on the floor).  All of these confirm the "eye test", he's rebounding and swatting shots.

The thing I like the most about Theis is that his first instinct is to go to the front of the rim.  If nothing else, that drags a defender or two down there with him and frees up shooters like Kyrie and Tatum.

bob

I did mention hes not quite as active as the Worm, but he does have a great knack for having a nose for the ball.....very curious to see what Theis could do with more minutes, he definitely is a very good/great role player and all great teams need those Silas/Rodman/Walton 86 type players.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Cow,

bob

I did mention hes not quite as active as the Worm, but he does have a great knack for having a nose for the ball.....very curious to see what Theis could do with more minutes, he definitely is a very good/great role player and all great teams need those Silas/Rodman/Walton 86 type players.

cow,

I'm torn between wanting another big, for insurance since we really only have 3, and another shooter.  Theis is a great big off the bench.  Start Baynes, bring Morris off the bench for Baynes or Tatum and Theis off the bench for Baynes or Horford.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:17 am

I've liked Theis from the start. He just needed to get more comfortable with the flow of the offense. You can feed the ball to him around the rim and he'll score while drawing fouls. He's often one of the first guys down the court on the break, too.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down