Game On! Celtics @ Hornets - December 27, 2017

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game On! Celtics @ Hornets - December 27, 2017

Post by gyso on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:54 am

Welcome to the Game On! Forum!

Post comments and discuss the game as it happens.

Tips and Reminders:

The liberal use of the F5 - "Refresh" button on your keyboard will keep you current with the last post on the thread.

This button also acts as a "Refresh" button, across many platforms. Its liberal use will also help to keep you current:

If you need a way to catch the game, there are some links to online game feeds in the forum entitled “Links, Books Media and Sam’s Writings”. We do not endorse, promote, partner with or in any way sanction any media player; they are public listings.

Boston Celtics (27-10) at Charlotte Hornets (12-21)

Tipoff: 7:00 pm EST Wednesday December 27, 2017, Stadium: Spectrum Center

TV: FSCR, NBCS-B (NBC Sports Boston Pre-game show starts at 6:30 PM)
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/ontv

Box Score:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boston-celtics-charlotte-hornets-2017122730/

http://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=400975252

Odds:
BOS -1.0

Go Celtics!!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Game On! Celtics @ Hornets - December 27, 2017

Post by gyso on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:58 am

Sliding Celtics strive to rebound against Hornets

http://www.espn.com/nba/preview?gameId=400975252

The Boston Celtics will attempt to stop their worst slide of the season Wednesday when they make a one-day trip to Charlotte to take on the Hornets.

The Celtics (27-10) lost the top spot in the Eastern playoff standings to the Toronto Raptors by dropping three of the past four, including a 111-103 home defeat to the Washington Wizards on Christmas Day.

The problem? A defense that held 13 of 18 opponents under 100 points when the club opened 16-2 has permitted triple-digit scoring in 12 of 19 games since then.

The Celtics' early-season winning form was typified in a 90-87 home win over the Hornets in November. Boston won despite shooting just 35.7 percent, tightening the defensive screws on Charlotte in the fourth period.

The Celtics trailed 57-41 at halftime, then limited the Hornets to 30 second-half points, including just 11 in the fourth quarter.

"It hasn't been one of the best stretches for us, but we have a resilient group," star guard Kyrie Irving said Monday. "When we won 16 in a row, it was all great. And then now we have all this going on. It's part of the game. You can't change your approach."

An issue in the Monday loss was defensive rebounding. The Wizards retrieved seven of their misses in the fourth quarter alone and turned them into 10 critical points.

The Hornets had just seven offensive rebounds the entire game in the earlier meeting with the Celtics, but they employ one of the league's best offensive rebounders of all time in Dwight Howard.

Howard ranks fifth in the NBA in offensive rebounds this season at 3.5 per game. He has grabbed at least five on nine occasions, including in the Hornets' most recent game, a 111-106 home win over the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday.

The eight-time All-Star ranks 13th in NBA history in total offensive rebounds with 3,509 and needs 53 more to catch Karl Malone for 12th place.

Howard added to his gaudy rebounding numbers with five on the offensive boards and 16 overall Saturday. The offensive rebounds helped him score 21 points despite a painful dislocated finger.

"Dwight was a monster inside," teammate Nicolas Batum said. "When you play like that, that's huge."

The Celtics catch a bit of a break in that Hornets backup big man Cody Zeller is out of action following meniscus surgery on his left knee. Zeller ranks 21st in the NBA in offensive rebounds at 2.4 per game despite not having made any starts this season.

The Hornets (12-21) find themselves in need of a momentum-gathering win on the eve of a four-game Western swing that opens Friday at Golden State.

Even with the victory over the Bucks, Charlotte hasn't taken advantage of a recent friendly schedule. The Hornets went just 4-8 despite playing nine of their past 12 games at home.

The Celtics have beaten the Hornets five straight times and nine of 10 dating back to February 2015. The last time Charlotte triumphed over Boston at home was in December 2014.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:48 pm

down to just 10 players for this game.  Might need Brad or Waltah to suit up if it gets much worse than this.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Cornbread and Dell Curry, Steph's dad.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

My Pregame Report

Post by Phil Pressey on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Disclaimer: This is directed towards no one in particular. I just feel like ranting.

Knee jerk reactions work both ways. I am hopeful negative people can get a bit of their own medicine. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely with Morris as damaged goods and Ainge not seemingly too concerned about filling open roster slots. The Celtics basically need a new ten game winning streak starting tonight for day dreamers to reclaim the upper hand.

I believe this team will live or die based on Marcus Smart. Lately he is killing us. He is supposed to be the backup point guard. Except for a few games here and there, he has been incompetent, basically no better and sometimes worse than Rozier and Larkin for impacting the offense as the main little guy.

His defense is spectacular or usually. I do see him get burned sometimes like anyone else. But in general, Smart is what he is, an NBA player who still seems to only fit in on half the court. His contract is up and the C's are already committed to Horford, Hayward and Irving for big money.

Ainge let Posey and Tony go. He traded Avery and Isaiah when both faced new contracts.

Could Smart burn Danny long-term if there's a trade? It could go either way. No one knows.

Ainge will weigh pros and cons. Maybe he flips a coin. Maybe Danny tries to communicate with Red through a Ouija Board.

I'm still positive, although not with Morris. This isn't a back to back, and he is still getting rest. That implies damaged goods.

I could see Danny resigning Smart, but Marcus has to show more than he has been on offense. His shooting is better lately. Yet, not only does he have to become consistent at that, he needs to be more like Horford with guaranteed assists to turnovers at a good ratio.

This is what I'm watching for practically every game. Marcus Smart. If he doesn't get it together soon or with better results than a role player and Rozier picks up his own pace, I suspect a trade similar to Avery's. Smart is simply not worth a big contract right now, but a lot of desperate teams might want to do some poaching. It's scary because he is so important to the defense.

If Smart gets better like he could very well, I suspect he is coming back. But it feels like it could go either way as the clock creeps closer and closer to the trading deadline.
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:Disclaimer: This is directed towards no one in particular. I just feel like ranting.

Knee jerk reactions work both ways. I am hopeful negative people can get a bit of their own medicine. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely with Morris as damaged goods and Ainge not seemingly too concerned about filling open roster slots. The Celtics basically need a new ten game winning streak starting tonight for day dreamers to reclaim the upper hand.

I believe this team will live or die based on Marcus Smart. Lately he is killing us. He is supposed to be the backup point guard. Except for a few games here and there, he has been incompetent, basically no better and sometimes worse than Rozier and Larkin for impacting the offense as the main little guy.

His defense is spectacular or usually. I do see him get burned sometimes like anyone else. But in general, Smart is what he is, an NBA player who still seems to only fit in on half the court. His contract is up and the C's are already committed to Horford, Hayward and Irving for big money.

Ainge let Posey and Tony go. He traded Avery and Isaiah when both faced new contracts.

Could Smart burn Danny long-term if there's a trade? It could go either way. No one knows.

Ainge will weigh pros and cons. Maybe he flips a coin. Maybe Danny tries to communicate with Red through a Ouija Board.

I'm still positive, although not with Morris. This isn't a back to back, and he is still getting rest. That implies damaged goods.

I could see Danny resigning Smart, but Marcus has to show more than he has been on offense. His shooting is better lately. Yet, not only does he have to become consistent at that, he needs to be more like Horford with guaranteed assists to turnovers at a good ratio.

This is what I'm watching for practically every game. Marcus Smart. If he doesn't get it together soon or with better results than a role player and Rozier picks up his own pace, I suspect a trade similar to Avery's. Smart is simply not worth a big contract right now, but a lot of desperate teams might want to do some poaching. It's scary because he is so important to the defense.

If Smart gets better like he could very well, I suspect he is coming back. But it feels like it could go either way as the clock creeps closer and closer to the trading deadline.

Smart is a restricted free agent.  Danny can keep him by just matching whatever another team offers.  If his shooting takes a miraculous upturn and he gets a big contract, he'll be worth it.  If it doesn't then he won't and Danny will be in the catbird seat.  I don't see an advantage to trading FOR a player that might not be yours next year, so what has Danny got to offer?

I'm disappointed in Morris.  I cannot believe nobody knew his knee would be this kind of trouble.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Abby just said that Jayson has already played more NBA minutes than he did collegiate minutes.

That's ridiculous.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Howard taking 16'ers?  Me likeee.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 pm

The End of the Dinosaurs

Dwight doesn't want to go out to the arc, but bigs today have to.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Good Evening All. Hi Bob. First time in a few games we have both been here from beginning!!! Hope all is well with you

The disappointment of the Christmas loss has worn off. Did anyone read the Blakely post/article on Hayward giving Christmas game remarks. A bit on the dramatic side. These two guys are something else, I don't know who is worse, Draper or Blakely. But we are stuck with them so there is no sense complaining any more!!!

Those ugly grey/green jerseys are awful.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Are these Time Outs still only 1 minute?  They seem SO much longer.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Nike is bringing back the gray pajamas.  Yuck.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:20 pm

What a basket by Kyrie
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Howard talking to Baynes down court after Baynes boxed him out on the rebound.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Me too on Morris. Supposed to be a key player on this team, we have just seen one or two games where he teased us a little.

I read on Bleacher Report that Yabaseli may be a draw for trade. I hope not. I think there is some talent there we have not even touched
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Baynes doing good job fighting with Howard
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Smart went to the locker room.

And then there were 9 Little Indians...
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Evening gents, Rosalie and our European friends!

I’m glad we have Baynes to contend with Howard.

Ros I’d prefer to never hear from either of them, but Draper is worse in my estimation!
bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 pm

What happened to Smart. Gone to the locker room
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:29 pm

We know that when Howard isn't smiling he isn't having fun and when he's not having fun he plays like shit.

Centers like Baynes and Perk frustrate the crap out of him because he can't just overpower them.
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

So, Christmas comes and my son buys tickets for the three of us to go to a game......only his father will be in Florida on the day of the game!
He is working on trying to get home for it. Then he buys a ticket for me for the last game of the season. The deal is, he knows I am dying to see Hayward, so.....if he ever is coming back this season, that will be the game he may be in before playoffs start......Unbelievable.

Heart in the right place,
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Going to see more and more of Tatum.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Bob, I agree on Morris. Thankfully Yabs is off to a good start tonight. I forgot or didn't know tomorrow is against Houston, so they are saving MM for that one.

And on Smart, you're right his value isn't that great, but wouldn't the team getting him retain the same right to match? I am thinking Danny might combine a draft pick with Smart. Rozier is a lot cheaper and Smart seems to have lost his huge edge over Terry for pg skills.
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

wow.  what a couple of moves by Tatum to the rim!
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Kaminsky. Always a pain in the neck
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next