NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks

3 posters

Go down

NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks Empty NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-trade-rumors-lakers-offered-233917574.html

NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks

NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks Ce62cb20-c616-11e6-8a87-492d66b63b59_SPORTINGNEWS-Master-Logo-Use-on-Gray-or-White-Digital.png.cf Sporting News Wed, Jan 3 5:02 AM PST 

NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks 7f8ef55069792e20262df354a16aacd9The Lakers would reportedly "love" to trade Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle, but will they move the youngsters before the February deadline?

The Lakers sit near the bottom of the NBA standings, but that was to be expected in a rebuilding year. Luke Walton entered his second season as head coach with a roster full of developing players battling against elite competition in the Western Conference.

What may have come as more of a surprise, though, is how quickly and aggressively the Lakers have shopped a couple of those youngsters. The team would "love" to move Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson, and both players are aware they have been offered in trades, according to Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times. This comes after ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski previously reported the Lakers were looking to trade Clarkson after the season.

Randle has seen inconsistent playing time through 36 games, though he did log his first start of the season Friday against the Clippers, scoring 18 points and grabbing seven rebounds in 28 minutes as the Lakers lost by 15. The 23-year-old forward has produced in big games (20 and 21 points in two close losses to the Warriors) and shown potential to grow after cutting weight last offseason, but it remains to be seen how he fits into the modern NBA and what his role would be on another team.

Clarkson would not have as much difficulty finding his place. He operates best as an instant scorer off the bench, and he is doing so with greater efficiency this season. Clarkson currently holds the highest true shooting percentage (53.4) and player efficiency rating (17.2) of his career. It also doesn't hurt that the Lakers have a noticeably worse net rating with him off the floor.

Of course, the end game here for LA is to create enough cap space to add one or two superstars in the offseason. Rumors and speculation surrounding Paul George and LeBron James won't disappear anytime soon, and Magic Johnson has big moves in mind as president of basketball operations. It's important for Johnson to focus on acquiring talent without throwing away assets in the hopes of signing a star, especially one who may never end up heading to Staples Center outside of a visit as a member of the opposing team.

We'll see how much patience the Lakers exhibit ahead of the Feb. 8 trade deadline. It wouldn't be shocking to see them make a little noise even if they ultimately decide not to make a trade.

bob
MY NOTE:  I believe I read somewhere that Danny loves Randle.  Clarkson would certainly solve our bench scoring problem.  What does everybody think about this, and who/what would you give up for them?  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks Empty Re: NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks

Post by dboss Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Bob

Danny could have drafted Randle but decided to draft Smart. Now both of these players are in similar situations. Neither the Celtics nor the Lakers were ready to extend them and both will be RFA this summer.

Randle is an undersized PF with not outside shot and he is not much of a defender (those short arms again) He can score in the paint and is a willing rebounder. I see no reason why Danny would go after him unless he was willing to resign him in the summer.

Clarkston is a different story. He is a pretty good but not great offensive player but he makes $12 million. He is a poor defender and one of the reasons why the Lakers are a poor defensive team. Given these factors I do not think Danny would be interested in him either.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks Empty Re: NBA trade rumors: Lakers have offered Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson in trade talks

Post by wideclyde Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm

I have to agree with DBoss on the defensive liabilities of both Randle and Clarkson. I usually never watch any Lakers games, but have watched several this season due to the possibility of their pick becoming ours, and neither guy is going to help our team on defense. Both guys have some NBA strengths, but do not have enough positive ones to help Boston at this time.

And, with many other possible trade acquisitions, each would have to be traded for now which means talent and/or draft picks would have to leave and also use the DPE which I think can be better used after the trade deadline.

Not even sure if a player would shake loose that the Cs would want at this time because he would have to be young, talented and fit under the DPE limit, but filling needs for a better chance in the playoffs after the trade deadline seems a better possibility.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down