Smart for Jordan Clarkson?

Go down

Smart for Jordan Clarkson?

Post by NYCelt on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:32 am

Early report, still not verified. Apparently negotiations are ongoing. Supposedly involve Smart and another player departing.

First started circulating on Instagram of all places, with a mention on CBS Sports Radio.

These rumors are not always accurate, but that's what's circulating. Keep in mind that yesterday it was reported in multiple social media outlets that Clarkson was being traded for Jahlil Okafor, so who knows?

More as/if it becomes available.

Last edited by NYCelt on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Re: Smart for Jordan Clarkson?

Post by kdp59 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 am

wow that would be a horrible trade for the Celtics.
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 am

kdp,

I find the reports questionable myself. I posted this after hearing it in two places only because there is a chance Boston decides to do something rather than lose a player to free agency without anything in return (and because I stopped for a second cup of coffee).

When you think about it, the Lakers, or anyone else, would need something like a sign and trade or other assurances so they don't lose out.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 am

Clarkson makes $11.4M this year.

Smart $4.5M

when I look at our salary's I can't see any players to put with Smart to match Clarksons' salary.

Not to mention, that Trading Smart when we have the top record in the east during the season would seem crazy.

so with all that said.....it'll probably happen!!
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 am

Clarkson is a good player, but other than possibly scoring a few extra points per game than Marcus Smart, the Cs will lose BIG TIME with this trade.

No way that Clarkson will be able to replace the "heart and soul" of our defense and our first place team.

Such a trade would basically throw this season away, and still not guarantee anything going forward any better for Boston.

Better to just hang on to Smart and pay him what Clarkson will cost next season and beyond.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeod on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 pm

I think some get too wrapped up in box score stats. The telling stat for Smart is team offensive efficiency when he is on the court and team defensive efficiency as well. Since I think both those numbers are significantly better than when he is on the bench, his value is clear, despite his rather anemic shooting percentages. The Celts, IMO, have always had a player or players that didn’t fill the box score, but were otherwise essential to their success. Be it rebounding, defending the other’s scorer, or a willingness to step in and put a body on someone, there was someone there to do it. Smart does that and more. That trade, especially since it would include others, would lessen the team. Smart has earned his next contract. I haven’t heard him mention anything about a Brink’s truck.

mikeod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm

mikeod wrote:I think some get too wrapped up in box score stats. The telling stat for Smart is team offensive efficiency when he is on the court and team defensive efficiency as well. Since I think both those numbers are significantly better than when he is on the bench, his value is clear, despite his rather anemic shooting percentages. The Celts, IMO, have always had a player or players that didn’t fill the box score, but were otherwise essential to their success. Be it rebounding, defending the other’s scorer, or a willingness to step in and put a body on someone, there was someone there to do it. Smart does that and more. That trade, especially since it would include others, would lessen the team. Smart has earned his next contract. I haven’t heard him mention anything about a Brink’s truck.

+1

I'm showing my age, but KC Jones and Satch Sanders come to mind when talking about essential players who did not excel at scoring.
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 am

Sandpd wrote:
mikeod wrote:I think some get too wrapped up in box score stats. The telling stat for Smart is team offensive efficiency when he is on the court and team defensive efficiency as well. Since I think both those numbers are significantly better than when he is on the bench, his value is clear, despite his rather anemic shooting percentages. The Celts, IMO, have always had a player or players that didn’t fill the box score, but were otherwise essential to their success. Be it rebounding, defending the other’s scorer, or a willingness to step in and put a body on someone, there was someone there to do it. Smart does that and more. That trade, especially since it would include others, would lessen the team. Smart has earned his next contract. I haven’t heard him mention anything about a Brink’s truck.

+1

I'm showing my age, but KC Jones and Satch Sanders come to mind when talking about essential players who did not excel at scoring.

Paul Silas, Don Channey, Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen, Rajon Rondo
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Sandpd wrote:

+1

Paul Silas, Don Channey, Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen, Rajon Rondo

+2

And the list grows longer.
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 am

Sandpd wrote:

+1

Dennis Johnson too.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:32 am

steve3344 wrote:
Sandpd wrote:

+1

Dennis Johnson too.

Actually, DJ was a decent scorer with a career 14.1 PPG average:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsde01.html
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 am

Smart would be a perennial all star if he could match DJ’s fg%
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 am

Sandpd wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Sandpd wrote:

+1

Dennis Johnson too.

Actually, DJ was a decent scorer with a career 14.1 PPG average:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsde01.html

But known more for his defense. Magic Johnson called him the best defensive guard he ever faced. Yes, he could score if needed (or ignored) and he was great in the clutch.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 am

Mike,

Great point.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am

Plenty of opinion of how to handle Smart's pending free agency - but it all boils down to what management thinks is best for the Celts. Trust Danny's judgement. He's got a helluva lot more background info to work with.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down