Highest Feb 8 Grades? Honors to Cavs, LA, & Boston

Go down

Highest Feb 8 Grades? Honors to Cavs, LA, & Boston

Post by NYCelt on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:09 pm

After having time to think about it...

The debate started right at the closing bell on trades yesterday. Having some time to consider not just the immediate impact, but the future possibilities, I think there are three clear honor students. Cleveland, LA, and Boston. It may take time to see if their moves make them better, but two made brilliantly gutsy moves, and one was pure wisdom in abstaining. Koby Altman, Rob Pelinka, and Danny Ainge, each along with their staff, come on down and claim a free prize.

Cleveland. The original NBA Big Bang. The need to get things straight is the lead story here. King James is not the GM, and despite his incessant whining and questionable leadership, he doesn't call all the shots. The King wasn't working the phones on this thing. Altman took a big, and very intelligent risk. Either way this lands could be very good for Cleveland. The lineup was in no way working, much to all of our delight. They risked LeBron bolting, and having a second rate, low potential lineup. Now, they've shown his-royal-pain-in-the-backside that they're committed to do whatever it takes to help him achieve immortality now. Gone are IT, Crowder, Rose, Wade, and Shumpert. None of those were likely to help anyone win a championship soon. Love IT, but the recovery is going to take a lot more time. Shumpert might be a useful reserve in the right situation, but the rest, well, no.

Enter Hood, Clarkson, Nance and Hill. Nance, especially, is a bit overpaid. But in absorbing some salary money, Cavs brass has let Sir LeBron know they're willing to blow up the roster to get him some competitive talent now. Hill is probably a rental, but has some steam left and much needed experience. Clarkson is solid if an under-rated volume scorer, Nance gives them a very athletic big who can play D. Hood is the type of shooter/scorer that is always dangerous, and in the process of becoming a star attraction. These guys are going to be motivated and could gel quickly and nicely. They've put a better, stronger, mostly younger group around James. Put Cleveland back in the playoff hunt. Nance and crew probably make their debut against Boston Sunday. No special pre-game video is planned.

If it doesn't work, they're still good. If His James-ness takes the last train for the coast, and Hill files for his pension, they have an excellent and entertaining nucleus to start the next chapter. Enough firepower and promising youth to keep the arena humming. Top grade to Altman.

LA. It may not be long before they have something more to watch than just The Laker Girls. No way they're going anywhere yet, but they acquired what they need to get where they want to be. Thomas and Frye give them a pair of expiring contracts that combine with the likelihood of ditching Randle and stretching Deng to perhaps open up a $70 million dollar cap space shopping spree. They added a draft pick too. Leave it to an agent turned GM to show Magic how to steer the ship back away from the sand bar.

Thomas is an almost universally loved underdog story. As he continues to recover, and recover his shot, he'll give LA fans something to cheer for. Frye provides excellent veteran clubhouse and on court leadership. Especially when not in the shadow of His-Royal-Pain-in-the-Baskside-ness. Frye and Kuzma should combine to give The Lakers a nice frontcourt off the bench.

This is the team I'd like to see improve more than any other, except Boston, so the Celtics can play 'em and roll 'em in a future finals.

Still, it will be a while before it gets pretty in La-La Land. Unless you're there to watch The Laker Girls.

Boston. Already got Monroe. Hayward returning next season. A serious finals-level competitor even without Hayward and Monroe. A good stock of decent draft picks may be there for the next couple of years to use or deal. A promising young roster with just enough depth and some redundancy to use if needed for a deal should a big upgrade become part of the picture. What would the move have been anyway? Dump the team's defensive sparkplug in a potential banner year? For whom? Tyreke Evans? Nice player, sure, but at what cost? The team could use Smart now, and picks and cash are an important commodity when you are going to need cash if you want to retain Irving, or maybe picks to help replace him, as soon as 2019. There will also be some buyouts shortly, opening the possibility of a little insurance being picked up.

Props to Danny for just hanging in his office and chiilin'. Even if there isn't any scotch or coffee in there.

Last edited by NYCelt on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Re: Highest Feb 8 Grades? Honors to Cavs, LA, & Boston

Post by bobheckler on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm

NYCelt wrote:After having time to think about it...

The debate started right at the closing bell on trades yesterday. Having some time to consider not just the immediate impact, but the future possibilities, I think there are three clear honor students. Cleveland, LA, and Boston. It may take time to see if their moves make them better, but two made brilliantly gutsy moves, and one was pure wisdom in abstaining. Koby Altman, Rob Pelinka, and Danny Ainge, each along with their staff, come on down and claim a free prize.

Cleveland. The original NBA Big Bang. The need to get things straight is the lead story here. King James is not the GM, and despite his incessant whining and questionable leadership, he doesn't call all the shots. The King wasn't working the phones on this thing. Altman took a big, and very intelligent risk. Either way this lands could be very good for Cleveland. The lineup was in no way working, much to all of our delight. They risked LeBron bolting, and having a second rate, low potential lineup. Now, they shown his-royal-pain-in-the-backside that they're committed to do whatever it takes to help him achieve immortality now. Gone are IT, Crowder, Rose, Wade, and Shumpert. None of those were likely to help anyone win a championship soon. Love IT, but the recovery is going to take a lot more time. Shumpert might be a useful reserve in the right situation, but the rest, well, no.

Enter Hood, Clarkson, Nance and Hill. Nance, especially, is a bit overpaid. But in absorbing some salary money, Cavs brass has let Sir LeBron know they're willing to blow up the roster to get him some competitive talent now. Hill is probably a rental, but has some steam left and much needed experience. Clarkson is solid if an under-rated volume scorer, Nance gives them a very athletic big who can play D. Hood is the type of shooter/scorer that is always dangerous, and in the process of becoming a star attraction. These guys are going to be motivated and could gel quickly and nicely. They've put a better, stronger, mostly younger group around James. Put Cleveland back in the playoff hunt. Nance and crew probably make their debut against Boston Sunday. No special pre-game video is planned.

If it doesn't work, they're still good. If His James-ness takes the last train for the coast, and Hill files for his pension, they have an excellent and entertaining nucleus to start the next chapter. Enough firepower and promising youth to keep the arena humming. Top grade to Altman.

LA. It may not be long before they have something more to watch than just The Laker Girls. No way they're going anywhere yet, but they acquired what they need to get where they want to be. Thomas and Frye give them a pair of expiring contracts that combine with the likelihood of ditching Randle and stretching Deng to perhaps open up a $70 million dollar cap space shopping spree. They added a draft pick too. Leave it to an agent turned GM to show Magic how to steer the ship back away from the sand bar.

Thomas is an almost universally loved underdog story. As he continues to recover, and recover his shot, he'll give LA fans something to cheer for. Frye provides excellent veteran clubhouse and on court leadership. Especially when not in the shadow of His-Royal-Pain-in-the-Baskside-ness. Frye and Kuzma should combine to give The Lakers a nice frontcourt off the bench.

This is the team I'd like to see improve more than any other, except Boston, so the Celtics can play 'em and roll 'em in a future finals.

Still, it will be a while before it gets pretty in La-La Land. Unless you're there to watch The Laker Girls.

Boston. Already got Monroe. Hayward returning next season. A serious finals-level competitor even without Hayward and Monroe. A good stock of decent draft picks may be there for the next couple of years to use or deal. A promising young roster with just enough depth and some redundancy to use if needed for a deal should a big upgrade become part of the picture. What would the move have been anyway? Dump the team's defensive sparkplug in a potential banner year? For whom? Tyreke Evans? Nice player, sure, but at what cost? The team could use Smart now, and picks and cash are an important commodity when you are going to need cash if you want to retain Irving, or maybe picks to help replace him, as soon as 2019. There will also be some buyouts shortly, opening the possibility of a little insurance being picked up.

Props to Danny for just hanging in his office and chiilin'. Even if there isn't any scotch or coffee in there.

NYCelt,

How do you know Danny isn't a "Jack Mormon" and drinks like a fish?

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Bob,

You raise a good question.

Maybe that's what he was doing in there yesterday.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm

NYCelt wrote:Bob,

Regards

Neat, straight up . . . you know that Mormons don't drink sodas. lol!

I'd be a little wary if the C's end up playing Detroit in the 1st round of the playoffs. They've been playing very well since acquiring Blake Griffin, now they've added Jameer Nelson and James Ennis. Albeit, the C's added Monroe, but Detroit's 1-2 punch of Drummond and Griffin make for a formidable frontcourt.
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Sandpd wrote:

Regards

Neat, straight up . . .  you know that Mormons don't drink sodas. lol!

I'd be a little wary if the C's end up playing Detroit in the 1st round of the playoffs. They've been playing very well since acquiring Blake Griffin, now they've added Jameer Nelson and James Ennis. Albeit, the C's added Monroe, but Detroit's 1-2 punch of Drummond and Griffin make for a formidable frontcourt.

I thought decaf soda was fine.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm

KyleCleric wrote:
Sandpd wrote:

Regards

Neat, straight up . . .  you know that Mormons don't drink sodas. lol!

I thought decaf soda was fine.

You are correct, but decaf soda would be a strange brew to mix with for me. I like my caffeine. drunken
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Sandpd,

I'm with you on that one.

Still trying to figure the purpose of decaf beverages!

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 pm

NYCelt

That is a real interesting analysis.  If I had to rate what happen I would give the top grade to Boston then LA and in last place Cleveland.

Boston is the only team among them that improved themselves without giving anything away.  Adding a big physical center like Monroe is just what this team needed.  Danny held firm in his belief that he was not going to trade Marcus straight up.  He may have made a move if a first rounder was also coming back as well as a player.  He also was not going to send out a 1st rounder to rent a player where the Celtics had no control over that player after the season ended.   The Celtics improved over the short term while maintaining their impressive inventory of 1st round drafts picks as well as bird rights to retain Smart.   The addition of Monroe provides the much needed depth at center and enhances their opportunity to represent the East in the 2018 Finals.

The Lakers have been rebuilding for a few years now.  Overall they have drafted well but they know the way to becoming elite is by adding elite talent to the team.  They have created enough CAP space to entice 2 high end elite players.  They will still have to initiate a few minor transactions but they can get there in the summer.  Magic mentioned the Celtics and what they were able to accomplish.  What he may have overlooked is that Boston has been building while they have been winning. The Lakers have not been able to do that.  Magic is the ultimate optimist.  The problem however is that there are only 5 elite level free agents in 2018.

They include Durant, James, Cousins, George and Paul.  Durant and Paul are likely to remain with their respective teams.  That leaves George, James and Cousins.

George is very likely to leave OKC to join the Lakers.  Cousins is coming off of a serious achilles injury.  Cousins seems to have found a level of comfort playing alongside fellow KY alumni Davis.  NOLA can offer the biggest contract than any other team.  The loyalty factor could come into play so the Lakers may have a difficult time securing his services.

That brings us to Lebron and the Cavs.

They have just taken on more payroll.  They got younger but they are still  missing that 3rd guy that is really needed to win.  They have not added a defensive stopper to the team and have not been able to secure a commitment from James that he is there for the long haul. If James leaves for LA or another destination Cleveland will find themselves in a full blown rebuild while being strapped with no cap space. Lebron is likely to stay in Cleveland because to leave after the Kyrie issue along with a significant dismantling of the team, would ruin his already tarnished legacy.   Cleveland is the big loser in all of this because if he stays they will not win and if he leaves they will not win until maybe after they rebuild.  The 2018 pick that they gave to LAL is only protected 1-3.  It will likely be a late round pick.  Maybe Magic will find another Kuzma.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Cavs were spiraling. They don't do something like this and the year is over and Lebron is gone. This gives them a chance this season. Lebron is still likely gone but they've now added some extra value to work with. They get a good look at Nance and Hood and whether they can be part of the future. Hill is locked in for this year and next and then has a 1m buyout the same offseason that Love would leave.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 pm

dboss,

Did Anthony Davis actually graduate from UK in an academic program, or were you just mentioning where he played his college basketball?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

wideclyde wrote:dboss,

Did Anthony Davis actually graduate from UK in an academic program, or were you just mentioning where he played his college basketball?

scratch the Alumni part and good catch.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:19 pm

KyleCleric wrote:
Cavs were spiraling. They don't do something like this and the year is over and Lebron is gone. This gives them a chance this season. Lebron is still likely gone but they've now added some extra value to work with. They get a good look at Nance and Hood and whether they can be part of the future. Hill is locked in for this year and next and then has a 1m buyout the same offseason that Love would leave.

Until we see how the 4 new guys fit in it is hard to measure how well they will do for the remainder of the season. They probably will be better than the guys that left. The question is, are they a better defensive team? I think that will be the determining factor.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

dboss wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:

Until we see how the 4 new guys fit in it is hard to measure how well they will do for the remainder of the season.  They probably will be better than the guys that left.  The question is, are they a better defensive team?  I think that will be the determining factor.

It's hard to imagine they'd be worse defensively.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Grades are written on paper. I remember too many poor ones in my days.

Basketball is played on the court not paper.

My grade for the Cavs and Lakers are both incomplete.

Let’s see how the chemicals mix. Playing second fiddle to James is not easy.

I’m giving it a dozen or so games then we’ll know a lot more.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:29 pm

beat wrote:Grades are written on paper.  I remember too many poor ones in my days.

Let’s see how the chemicals mix.   Playing second fiddle to James is not easy.

beat

James as Gladys Knight has some new Pips to sing with for backup. The question will be whether they'll be able to harmonize.
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Sandpd wrote:
beat wrote:Grades are written on paper.  I remember too many poor ones in my days.

beat

James as Gladys Knight has some new Pips to sing with for backup. The question will be whether they'll be able to harmonize.

Sand,

Did you hear that through the grapevine?

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Sandpd wrote:

beat

Sand,

Did you hear that through the grapevine?

bob

lol!
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down