mrkleen09
Phil Pressey
wideclyde
swish
9 posters

Go down

Going the wrong way Empty Going the wrong way

Post by swish Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:21 pm

With about 25 games remaining It's time for the Celts to shift up a gear or two. Since the first 18 games when they were 16-2 (.888) they have cruised along at a decent 24-15 (.615) - which means that for the last 39 games they have been playing at a clip closer to the percentage of the bottom playoff teams than the Warriors. In the meantime Toronto started out 11-7 (.611) and since then has gone 27-9 (.750). I understand that the 16-2 start was more than likely an unrealistic start - but playing at about a .600 clip does not predict that well for the playoffs. Time to find out which is the real Celtic team.

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Going the wrong way Empty Re: Going the wrong way

Post by wideclyde Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 pm

swish,

Great thought and it was perhaps the most discussed Cs issue at our weekly Cs breakfast only yesterday.

Lots of reasons for the 16-2 start and also lots of reasons for the .615 winning percentage since that 16-2 with the 16-2 start possibly being one of them. Perhaps our heads got a little too big after such an unbelievable beginning and forgot that other teams would continue to get better as the season went forward?

Of course, we have had injuries (but, so have other teams). Smart being out for two weeks already has perhaps cost us three possible wins since his injury. 27-12 would have had us at .692 over the last 29 games and probably still three games ahead of Toronto.

I agree that we have seen two different teams this season, but with Smart coming back to impact the defense again, Monroe on board and Ainge still looking for another shooter there is plenty of time to get the new guys fully involved the team has a chance to move forward towards a better looking playoff team.

One great thing is that only a few seasons ago, we all would have been ecstatic with the Cs being 40-17.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Swish, shouldn't we wait to see how Monroe and Smart progress? The team seems healthy. The second seed seems guaranteed. No one wants to jinx it, but it looks very possible Gordon Hayward will return. Players relied on such as Ojeleye, Larkin, Nader and to a lesser degree Yabusele are no longer needed.

Say a playoff rotation only needs ten players. Smart and Monroe are 20% of the players that matter.

I think we are switching roles. I am going to say perhaps wait until April and May when the dust has settled.

Kyrie and Al Horford to a degree represent superstars. Brown is emerging. Tomorrow should be very interesting. Last night was the third game in four nights with air travel. The Pacers had four days of rest. A game was postponed in New Orleans. It was a scheduled loss the C's almost stole.

Tomorrow should be a doozy. The Cavs are basically a brand new team and cannot all be on the same page. The Celtics are going to be hungry after the loss. I'll be surprised if the Celtics win by less than twenty points. It could be a huge embarrassment for King James.

I would like to see the Celtics win sixty games. I am counting on that for my barometer. They'll have to go 20-5. If they drag their way to the playoffs, then I will probably agree with your sober assessment. There are still many unforeseen developments we just can't know until they happen.

Such as, how will Marcus Smart play? Will Irving take it up a notch and become more integrated on offense like Isaiah? The team defense is obviously there to win it all. The C's have 25 games left to lift the offense to where it needs to be.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Once Monroe settles in. Once Smart rejoins the team. Once we see if they end up signing a scorer off the bench, THEN we can see where things stand. But in the end, the last 39 games is more indicative of what they are, then the first 18.

Likely the second or third best team in the East, with a very young nucleus still learning to play, win and deal with adversity. They could get on a roll and come out of the east, but dont see they are ready to beat Houston or Golden State in a series. But every loss, every bad beat, every adversity where Brad sticks with his young players - will pay off in spades in the long run.

Next year, when Hayward is back, they add another high pick, and figure on a veteran scorer off the bench - THEN they will be ready for a 3,4, 5 year run. Until then, any achievement is gravy in my eyes.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:Swish, shouldn't we wait to see how Monroe and Smart progress? The team seems healthy. The second seed seems guaranteed. No one wants to jinx it, but it looks very possible Gordon Hayward will return. Players relied on such as Ojeleye, Larkin, Nader and to a lesser degree Yabusele are no longer needed.

Say a playoff rotation only needs ten players. Smart and Monroe are 20% of the players that matter.

I think we are switching roles. I am going to say perhaps wait until April and May when the dust has settled.

Kyrie and Al Horford to a degree represent superstars. Brown is emerging. Tomorrow should be very interesting. Last night was the third game in four nights with air travel. The Pacers had four days of rest. A game was postponed in New Orleans. It was a scheduled loss the C's almost stole.

Tomorrow should be a doozy. The Cavs are basically a brand new team and cannot all be on the same page. The Celtics are going to be hungry after the loss. I'll be surprised if the Celtics win by less than twenty points. It could be a huge embarrassment for King James.

I would like to see the Celtics win sixty games. I am counting on that for my barometer. They'll have to go 20-5. If they drag their way to the playoffs, then I will probably agree with your sober assessment. There are still many unforeseen developments we just can't know until they happen.

Such as, how will Marcus Smart play? Will Irving take it up a notch and become more integrated on offense like Isaiah? The team defense is obviously there to win it all. The C's have 25 games left to lift the offense to where it needs to be.

Phil

My below statement is as far as I'll go in regards to the Celtics future.
"It's time for the Celtics to shift up a gear or two". You see - my Chrystal ball is always cluttered with a bunch of ifs - which means a high level of uncertainty. I'll let others do the prognosticating about the future.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:01 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Once Monroe settles in.  Once Smart rejoins the team.  Once we see if they end up signing a scorer off the bench, THEN we can see where things stand.  But in the end, the last 39 games is more indicative of what they are, then the first 18.

Likely the second or third best team in the East, with a very young nucleus still learning to play, win and deal with adversity.  They could get on a roll and come out of the east, but dont see they are ready to beat Houston or Golden State in a series.  But every loss, every bad beat, every adversity where Brad sticks with his young players - will pay off in spades in the long run.

Next year, when Hayward is back, they add another high pick, and figure on a veteran scorer off the bench - THEN they will be ready for a 3,4, 5 year run.  Until then, any achievement is gravy in my eyes.

"THEN they will be ready for a 3,4, 5 year run.  Until then, any achievement is gravy in my eyes.[/quote]"

Sounds good to me.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Am I hearing this from anybody that thought we can beat GSW?

Anybody ok with 2nd place?  Not me..hell no.

Celts need to appreciate their opportunity.  Game after game they come out in the 1st QTR like they got dukey in their pants.  

I love Brad as a coach but I think he tends to be too soft.  Sometimes coaches need to bring the whip

Is any player on this team concerned of not pleasing Brad?

Seeing this team in second place is sickening.

We do not need fake contenders.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm

In my opinion, the SVG model of coaching is no longer viable in the NBA. Grown men don`t react that well to being screamed at. I`ve yet to see a malcontent or guy who couldn`t get with the program under Steven`s watch. I sometimes question his game tactics, reluctance to call timeouts etc., but I think he handles players just fine. He just stated publicly his displeasure with several aspects of the offense. Let`s see if they cut harder and move the ball more crisply next game in response to his criticism. Let`s not forget that 2 of our starters are 21 and under, two other rotation regulars are rookies , and Rozier , Smart and Horford are all that`s left of last year`s rotation.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

I don't think the C's recent struggles are worrisome. Better to lose now than in April and May. Monroe is a big upgrade and Smart gets back, I think the team will click. If Hayward makes it back (not that I advocate it unless he's 100 percent), Brad will have the options he needs to compete with anyone. The team did play over its head in the first third of the season, pulled games out of the fire, and now they don't as often, but they more they play, they better they'll get. As someone we know would say, "see me in April." Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am

Just like in a close game, there is a lot of time left.

The Celtics need to secure home court.  They can get back on a winning track against the Cavs.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:06 pm

dboss wrote:Am I hearing this from anybody that thought we can beat GSW?

Celts need to appreciate their opportunity.  Game after game they come out in the 1st QTR like they got dukey in their pants.  

I love Brad as a coach but I think he tends to be too soft.  Sometimes coaches need to bring the whip

Dboss

I doubt there is anyone on this board who is ok with 2nd place.

But, I am with Jrleftfoot, I see no indication that Celtics players dont respect or play hard for Coach Stevens. Screaming and yelling is not in his nature. I will take him as he is over some phony, make a big scene on the sidelines and have no clue what play to call after the outburst any day.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:21 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:Am I hearing this from anybody that thought we can beat GSW?

Dboss

I doubt there is anyone on this board who is ok with 2nd place.  

But, I am with Jrleftfoot, I see no indication that Celtics players dont respect or play hard for Coach Stevens.  Screaming and yelling is not in his nature.  I will take him as he is over some phony, make a big scene on the sidelines and have no clue what play to call after the outburst any day.

"Screaming and yelling is not in his nature."
Whats wrong with having a low key style - say like like John Wooden?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:10 pm

There is no way these guys to not like playing for Brad. I see absolutely no evidence of that. Just remember, he is coaching a team with, how many, 12 plus new players???? You think it all just "happens". And, their schedule did not allow for many practices.

I cannot wait for Smart to get back and Monroe to get more comfortable with the second unit. Kyrie, in the last two games, has shown that being the only true scorer on the team is a real
tough job.I am sure he is wishing he had Hayward by his side.
That injury threw the preseason plans out the window and they had to adjust on the fly. Maybe some of this is catching up with them.

Stay the course guys, keep working, you will succeed.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 pm

I have no problem with getting the second seed. The first seed proves nothing. Toronto is good, but so are the Celtics.

The C's just have to worry about themselves and keep tightening.

I am predicting the Celtics win the title this year. I have a good feeling. It's about health and stamina. It's an attrition process. The C's will have little to no chance if they are banged up and inept on offense. Things are looking good, in my humble opinion.

There are just enough games left to work on things without overplaying anyone.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Looked like the Cavs are again going the "right" way after today's thrashing of our Cs. Cs? Not so much.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:I don't think the C's recent struggles are worrisome. Better to lose now than in April and May. Monroe is a big upgrade and Smart gets back, I think the team will click. If Hayward makes it back (not that I advocate it unless he's 100 percent), Brad will have the options he needs to compete with anyone. The team did play over its head in the first third of the season, pulled games out of the fire, and now they don't as often, but they more they play, they better they'll get. As someone we know would say, "see me in April." Hawk

Going the wrong way Thumbs15
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down