cowens/oldschool
wideclyde
10 posters

Go down

POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME Empty POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Celtics Wrap: New-Look Cavs Crush C’s Before Paul Pierce Number Retirement

NESN by Nicholas Goss on Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 5:53PM

BOSTON — The Celtics gave one of their worst performances of the season Sunday afternoon against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The new-look Cavs, who did an overhaul of their roster at the trade deadline last week, shot lights out and beat the Celtics 121-99. Boston falls to 40-18 with the loss, while Cleveland improves to 33-22. It wasn’t all horrible for C’s fans, though. The Celtics will retire Paul Pierce’s No. 34 after the game. Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING LINEUP PG: Kyrie Irving SG: Jaylen Brown SF: Jayson Tatum PF: Marcus Morris C: Al Horford

ELECTRIC ATMOSPHERE It felt like an NBA Finals game in TD Garden prior to tip-off. Celtics-Cavs usually brings out the best in the Celtics crowd, but this day was unique because of Pierce’s upcoming ceremony. Tribute videos and Pierce being shown on the jumbotron telling fans to make some noise were among the many things that ratcheted up the intensity at tip off.

CAVS DEBUTS Guards George Hill, Jordan Clarkson and Rodney Hood, as well as forward Larry Nance Jr. all made their Cavs debuts after being acquired before last Thursday’s trade deadline. Hill was the only one of the four to start.

HIGH SCORING, HOT SHOOTING The Celtics and Cavs fed off the energy at tip off and combined to score 63 points and each shoot 50 percent or better from the floor. The C’s held a 32-31 edge after 12 minutes, with Irving (nine points) and Morris (eight points) leading the way. The Cavs went through a bit of a scare as LeBron James appeared to be in some discomfort after a colission with Aron Baynes on a drive to the basket. J.R. Smith (seven points) and Jeff Green (six points) paced the Cavs in the first quarter. The highlight of the quarter was Irving’s step-back shot over James, which drew a roaring applause from the crowd. See the highlight below.

LEBRON TAKES OVER The Celtics forced the Cavs to take a timeout 3:02 into the quarter after Terry Rozier drove and tossed an alley-oop to Horford to give Boston a 40-38 lead. The Cavs bounced back to take a 43-40 lead on shots by James and Rodney Hood. Hood took five shots in his first six minutes as a Cavalier, and he scored eight quick points as a result. Irving returned to the game and scored two quick baskets, but then the Cavs took a 48-44 lead thanks to a 3-pointer by Hill and a driving basket from James. Cleveland built a 10-point lead at 56-46 after another 3-pointer from James, who was on fire most of the quarter, highlighted by a 4-minute span during which he scored 12 points. The Cavs went into halftime up 64-52, led by James’ 17 points, five rebounds and six assists. Cleveland outscored Boston 33-20 in the quarter. Irving paced the C’s with 16 first-half points. Morris was the only other Celtic with more than seven points.

NO THIRD-QUARTER RUN The third quarter was an ugly one for the Celtics as nobody could get it going offensively. The Cavs went up by 25 at 92-67 with about four minutes to play after back-to-back wide open 3-point shots and a James field goal. The Celtics fared a little better toward the end of the quarter and went into the break trailing 95-74. The Cavs outscored the C’s 31-22 in the third quarter.

GARBAGE TIME Bench players saw almost all the playing time in the fourth quarter as the Cavs’ lead never was threatened. The Celtics shot just 39.8 from the floor and 24.3 percent (10-for-38) from 3-point range. The Cavs shot 53.6 percent overall and a 53.3 percent (16-for-30) from beyond the arc.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE GAME You can bet Irving enjoyed this step-back shot against James.

UP NEXT The Celtics host the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET. It’s Boston’s final game before the All-Star break.

Last edited by 112288 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME

Post by wideclyde Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Ouch!

It appears that Cleveland's trades have rejuvenated their team in only 3 days.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

We suck

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

THE PROBLEM WITH THE CELTIC TEAM EXCEPT MARCUS SMART.......THEY HAVE NO BASKETBALLS!!!!!!

This team has NO ATTITUDE!  They are a soft team!  I thought Morris would bring some attitude.........but he is a cream puff!

This is an embarrassment not only to all Celtic fans at TD Garden...or fans tuning in at home on TV..................but to Paul Pierce, KG and all other players of the 2008 championship team!!!!!

People whisper about Tatem hitting the "Rookie Wall" ........how about Stevens hitting the "5 Year Wall"!!!!   He had no answers!!!  He walked off the court while time still on the clock!

Ya know the difference between park ball and the Celtics?????????     The park ball guys attack the paint!!!!!!!   If I wanted to see 3 point shooting........I'll tune in to the NBA 3 point contest!  If the Celtics aren't hitting shots.............they have no other answers!

And please................I do not want to hear..........the  Celtics came back from a 20 pt deficit ...25pt deficit......30 pt deficit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WHAT THAT TELLS ME.........THEY PLAYED LOUSY CRAPPY BASKETBALL UP TO THAT POINT TO GO DOWN BY SO MUCH!  SO I WOULD NOT BE SO HYPED ON THE ACCOMPLISHMENT UNLESS IT WAS A RARE MOMENT DURING THE SEASON..........HOWEVER THIS IS EVERY GAME CELTIC BASKETBALL!

That is why I am glad Patricia is gone from the Patriots!  Patricia's defense strategy SUCKED!
Always playing from behind!    If not for Brady.........they would not have won anything!

Same goes for the Celtics.........to outside defense........no inside defense or rebounding!

Watching ATT Pebble Beach golf was more satisfying as I had to tune the Celtics out! WOW.....ITS BEEN SEVERAL DECADES SINCE I EVER DID THAT!  BOY AM I HOT!!!!

Last edited by 112288 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm

When reality smacks you in the face the truth is often difficult to digest.

Whatever I thought that I knew about this team is out the window.

Now i am going to watch PP get his number retired.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:13 pm

The over-reliance on threes coupled with weak defensive effort pretty much tells the whole story.

10-38 (26%) from 3 is ridiculous.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Not our best work, but have to give credit where it's due. High energy performance by Cleveland on both ends. Hood, Hill and Clarkson brought their A games. Osman continues to build his game as well. Some of those other guys they already had looked OK too; whoever they are, I forget their names.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:01 pm

It appears that the Cs need Marcus Smart more and more every day. The entire team plays much tougher when he leads them.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

WideClyde

CORRECT.........Sad thing..........they need another 5-6 players like that!

Got to play with attitude!

I would not be surprised if Danny blows up part of the team for someone like Davis this summer!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Cavs looked they got just what they needed out of that trade. Clarkson and Hood can shoot and get in scoring zones where they can carry teams. Hill is a very good defender and is 3rd in 3 point% with 45%, and now they get to play off Lebron. We sure got exposed and on our home court and on a day we were honoring Paul Pierce you would think we would come out ready to play hard and put up a good fight, instead we looked slow and confused as teams have figured out our offense.

We don’t get enough easy baskets, because we don’t run, to run you need the ball. Al while multifaceted is not a board eater, Morris can’t run, can’t rebound, the 2 of them as a starting 4-5 does not scare anybody. How does Semi and Morris get 24 minutes each and Theis and Monroe get 10 minutes each? Brad you want to figure out how to use Monroe? Try playing him, then just getting him the ball. Semi has been a brick layer the whole year, you’ve got to get more minutes for Theis and Monroe, they should be playing together anchoring the 2nd unit. I know he can hit some shots, but I can’t stand Morris’s game, strictly a half court player, he can’t run and his defense is way overrated, Jaylen can and has defended Lebron a lot better and our offense which already doesn’t run enough, plays at a snails pace when Morris is on the floor.

We should be running teams to the ground with Kyrie, Rozier, Jaylen, Jayson, Theis, Al all swarming on D and running and getting more easy baskets. I would agree Smarts defense would help, but you need 2 way players, Clarkson, Hood, Hill can all run, hit some shots and play D and none is even an all star, I don’t know if Smart is the answer to our problems? Sometimes he can hit a few shots, but mostly he needs to shoot less and take better shots. Reality bit us in the ass, we can’t keep coming back from 20 point leads and play at a snails pace, this team needs to get its act together, make better use of personnel, maybe have a half court line up and an up tempo line up....we need better everything.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:26 am

Reality check.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/suddenly-cavs-back-044239001.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Cavs looked they got just what they needed out of that trade. Clarkson and Hood can shoot and get in scoring zones where they can carry teams. Hill is a very good defender and is 3rd in 3 point% with 45%, and now they get to play off Lebron. We sure got exposed and on our home court and on a day we were honoring Paul Pierce you would think we would come out ready to play hard and put up a good fight, instead we looked slow and confused as teams have figured out our offense.

We don’t get enough easy baskets, because we don’t run, to run you need the ball. Al while multifaceted is not a board eater, Morris can’t run, can’t rebound, the 2 of them as a starting 4-5 does not scare anybody. How does Semi and Morris get 24 minutes each and Theis and Monroe get 10 minutes each? Brad you want to figure out how to use Monroe? Try playing him, then just getting him the ball. Semi has been a brick layer the whole year, you’ve got to get more minutes for Theis and Monroe, they should be playing together anchoring the 2nd unit. I know he can hit some shots, but I can’t stand Morris’s game, strictly a half court player, he can’t run and his defense is way overrated, Jaylen can and has defended Lebron a lot better and our offense which already doesn’t run enough, plays at a snails pace when Morris is on the floor.
We should be running teams to the ground with Kyrie, Rozier, Jaylen, Jayson, Theis, Al all swarming on D and running and getting more easy baskets. I would agree Smarts defense would help, but you need 2 way players, Clarkson, Hood, Hill can all run, hit some shots and play D and none is even an all star, I don’t know if Smart is the answer to our problems? Sometimes he can hit a few shots, but mostly he needs to shoot less and take better shots. Reality bit us in the ass, we can’t keep coming back from 20 point leads and play at a snails pace, this team needs to get its act together, make better use of personnel, maybe have a half court line up and an up tempo line up....we need better everything.

Totally agree, Cow. What often drives me crazy is their seemingly inability to even run a fast break. Over and over again I see Tatum, Brown, Rozier or someone else run the floor and never even look for a teammate running with them (big problem, sometimes there is nobody running with them) for an easy pass and layup, sometimes receiving the ball back when a defensive player covers the second guy. This used to be the essence of Celtic's basketball. But today they almost always play solo going to the hoop.
Get out some old films of previous Celtic teams and learn how to run, damn it.

Also agree with 112288: this team plays soft without Marcus Smart.

Theis should definitely be getting more minutes.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 am

love him or hate him, but Lebron James is STILL the KING.

he showed it yesterday, taking the new guys on his back and destroying the Celtic pretenders on their own court, on national TV AND on a day we were retiring Pierce's #.

lesson?

don't mess with the King, until you are a rel contender.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

Is the difference between being an elite defensive team and a shitty defensive team really just the availability of Marcus Smart and Shane Larkin?  I doubt it.  Would Smart make us a better defensive team?  Sure, but Smart isn't responsible for Brown not losing his man on the baseline or leaving him wide open at the 3.  He can't cover JR Smith and Clarkson and Hood.  The rest of our back court has to do their jobs too.

LeBron sat for, I think, 7 minutes after banging knees with Baynes.  We only picked up 2 points on the Cavs during that time.  Pathetic.

I am really now starting to wonder a bit about Brad.  For a guy who is famous for his in-game coaching he is not doing a very good job of preparing for the games in the first place.  Cleveland's front court, without Kevin Love, is weaker than shit.  Does Brad put Moose in to pound them them inside and force their defense to collapse to help out?  12 minutes for Monroe.  13 minutes for Baynes.  11 minutes for Theis.  Only Horford got significant minutes, 25.  So, when Cleveland went small, because they had to and because they have one of the best small ball players to ever play the game and just got restocked with smallball players at the trade deadline, Brad played their game with them.  I understand, somewhat.  Brad wants us to be like GSW and Houston.  Why not?  They're the best.  Why would you want to emulate anybody but the best?  The problem is that they are both VERY good outside shooting teams and VERY good motion offense teams.  GSW is also the #1 fast break team in the league and Houston is in the middle of the pack.  Brad talks a lot about being "the best version of ourselves".  Well, this version of us are not good shooters from outside.  We are 10th in fg% from 3, better than I thought, but 6th in 3pt fgas.  That means we take a lot of 3s even though we're so-so at them.  Even so, that might be acceptable except we have NO movement without the ball.  We stand around and watch the ball when what we should be doing is watching the eyes of our defenders and moving when they take them off of us.  We are one of the youngest teams in the league and we are, and have been all year, playing like we're one of the oldest.   We are 25th in fast break points/game.

Jaylen had the worst game I've seen from him in a very long time, maybe ever.  He was completely off on both ends of the court.  His man was back cutting him.  He was collapsing so far off the arc he couldn't recover to challenge the 3 nor run them off the arc.  Offensively he was 0-5 from 3.

Tatum was lost out there.  I don't really buy the "damaged pinkie" story.  If it was that bad the training staff would tell Brad.  Even if Brad said "tough shit, the kid's gotta play" he's still shooting 47.8% on the season.  His 3s have suffered but the difference between 3s and his preferred mid-range jumper is what?  Not a pinkie, because the pinkie is used in an 18 or 19'er just as it is in a 21'er.  Legs, the difference is legs.  He was 6-14 vs Portland and 3-5 from 3.  No pinkie problems there.  He was 2-9 vs Toronto and was 0-1 from 3.  Only 1 3pt fgas in that game, meaning he was 1-8 from 2.  3-9 vs Washington, 0-3 from 3.  6-11 vs Indiana and 0-0 from 3.  No 3pt fgas and he scored 15.  Yesterday he was 4-11 and was 1-2 from 3.  He's inconsistent.  He's a rookie who has played more games without a spring or summer break in his life.  He isn't flying around the court anymore.  If his finger is the problem, he needs to take some games off to heal and if Brad won't let him do that that's on Brad.  If he's feeling fatigued from the longer season than he's ever played, then he needs to take a game of two off to let his accumulated muscle fatigue and assorted dings to rejuvenate.  Either way, his play needs to come up or he needs to play less minutes, come off the bench or take the game off.  He's not helping us much now and we are going to need him fresh and healthy, absolutely.

Semi played 25 minutes.  Ok, so let's say Brad thinks Semi is the only one with the body to handle LeBron.  He was 1-5, 0-4 from 3 BUT I only saw one really good, sharp cut without the ball to the rim in this game by us and that cut was by Semi.  He got fouled and sank his 2.  My point here is that I remember only one player making a sharp cut without the ball all game and it paid off.  Everybody else stood at the arc and waited for a pass.  Give the ball to someone, let him go one-on-one to try and touch the paint and then kick the ball out to the arc (even if you get in the paint and the defense hasn't collapsed on you) so they can shoot.  Brad-ball.  

Rozier was the sole star in our almost starless night.  He was our high scorer with 21 points, had 9 rebounds, 4 offensive and 5 assists and only 1 TO.  Kyrie started off hot and then went cold, like everybody else except Morris and Rozier.  1-7 from 3 for Kyrie.  Like most shooters he has no inner voice other than the one that repeats like a mantra "oooh, that's a good shot, take it".  He has to take more than 14 fgas, especially if he's hitting half of them like yesterday.  You're our scorer.  I understand you having off nights but you can't take the night off, especially not if you're hitting almost everything inside the arc.  

Speaking of, Morris might be a black hole but at least he's a black hole that scores.  He was 6-12 and 3-6 from 3.  

They shot 53.6%.  What's worse they shot 53.3% from 3.  We didn't stop them anywhere.  Wide open 3s, which they knocked down because Hood and Clarkson can shoot lights out.

We shot 26% from 3.  We also took 38 3pt fgas, out of a total of 89 fgas.  That's almost 43%.  I am SO frustrated with Brad right now.  We're cold as ice from 3 and he's not running plays inside?  He's not putting one of the best inside players in the league, Greg Monroe, in to wreak some havoc?  No, he's still in love with the 3.  You get the extra point ONLY if you hit it, Brad.  We have been beaten the last few games because our 3pt shooting has been poor AND because we still took a large % of our fgas from 3, while our opponents took fewer 3pt fgas and scored more points from 2.  A 17' shot that you hit is better than a 3pt shot you miss.

We got 13 offensive rebounds vs only 5 for them.  Despite that, we still only shot 40%.  

We are terrified of shooting in the paint.  I do not know why.  We get in the paint and look to kick, not shoot.  They got in the paint and looked to shoot.  If they missed the man who was left to pick up the driver went to the boards.  Fundamental basketball.  We've seen the same thing the last few games.  Toronto, Washington, Indy they all got in the paint and looked to shoot.  

I was thinking, one of the great things about yesterday is that our young'uns, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, got to see a Celtic great get honored.  They got to see what it looks and feels like to have the Celtic Faithful shower love down on you as you raise your number to the rafters with the Legends Forever.  After that game, they didn't deserve to watch it.  None of them did.  A disgraceful performance and one that was, unfortunately, not a rarity anymore.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975581

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down