NBA 2018 Draft

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:27 am


A. Sherrod Blakely @ASherrodblakely
3 minutes ago
The #Celtics workouts today consists of the following players: Deng Adel - Louisville Grayson Allen - Duke Jeffrey Carroll - Oklahoma State Billy Preston - Kansas/Ikogea (Bosnia) Allonzo Trier - Arizona Kenrich Williams - TCU


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by dboss on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:20 am

Danny may trade out of the the first round. That would save some money.

avatar
dboss

Posts : 8878
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by NYCelt on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 am

dboss wrote:Danny may trade out of the the first round.  That would save some money.


dboss,

Good point. That could certainly be a possibility.

If he thinks the price of trading up into the top 6 or 7, give or take, is too high, it might make sense to trade into the second. Not only a money saver, but, depending on the deal, you could gain a pick.

If bigs we could use such as McCoy or Metu drop into the second, or a shooter like Allen or others, what's needed could be there. Really not much different in strategy than what was done with the #1 pick last year.

Regards
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7328
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by gyso on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:50 am

Option 1: Trade up in the draft to get one of the quality bigs, unless the cost takes away too much from our core. if so, then:

Option 2: Trade away #27 for a pick in the early 2nd round. No guaranteed money there and possible draft and stash.

Option 2, part 2: Use our draft picks next season to acquire one or two options at the big position for future development. We have enough currently at that position.

Makes perfect sense.

gyso

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 12934
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by worcester on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am

I'd like to see Billy Preston in the Garden, playing the organ.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5686
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 am

worcester wrote:I'd like to see Billy Preston in the Garden, playing the organ.


Worcester,

You have more of a chance seeing him play a harp than an organ. Billy Preston died in 2006.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am

avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3786
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobc33 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am

kdp59 wrote:

+1
avatar
bobc33

Posts : 7220
Join date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by gyso on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Billy Preston allowed the Beatles to get back some of the joy of making music and is called the "fifth Beatle" due to his influence on them when it was all falling apart.

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 12934
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:24 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-060818-draft-hopeful-allen-details-tatums-development-duke?sf191390959=1







Draft Hopeful Allen Details Tatum’s Duke Development



By Taylor C. Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
June 8, 2018



WALTHAM, Mass. - Jayson Tatum’s one-year maturation from an average 3-point shooter in college to an elite 3-point shooter in the NBA shocked much of the basketball world. However, to Tatum’s former Duke teammate and 2018 Draft hopeful Grayson Allen, the rapid evolution came as no surprise.

Allen, a four-year Blue Devils shooting guard, worked out for Tatum’s Boston Celtics Friday morning and revealed that his former teammate showed signs of great progression all throughout his freshman season at Duke one year ago. That progression was on full display during Tatum’s rookie campaign, as he went from a 34.2 percent shooter beyond the college 3-point arc to a 43.4 percent shooter beyond the NBA 3-point arc, just like that.

“It was developing while he was at Duke,” Allen said of Tatum’s shot, following a grueling pre-draft workout with the C’s. “He’s such a great scorer. He came into Duke as such a great scorer, and he just wanted to get to all that stuff that he has (now). I think at Duke he learned to slow down a little bit, make quicker decisions.”


Grant Halverson/Getty Images

Tatum’s coaches and teammates at Duke encouraged him to simplify his shooting game at times. Allen and others told him, “We know you can cross guys over and shoot fadeaways and knock it down most of the time. But catch-and-shoot is easy too.”

“And I think he learned to do that at Duke,” Allen told Boston media members Friday morning. “And then once he got to the league, he was able to put all of that together.”

Right from the time Allen first competed against Tatum, he knew the kid was destined for greatness. Allen was entering his junior season as the Blue Devils' captain when he first saw the then-18-year-old live in action.

“When he first came into Duke in the summer when we were playing small games like 1-on-1, 2-on-2, 3-on-3, he would kill people,” Allen recalled from the offseason before his junior campaign. “And if he gets in space and that jump shot starts going down, it’s like he’s taking the shots you want him to take and it’s going in.”

Throughout the 2017 Blue Devils season, Tatum displayed a unique blend of skill, athleticism and versatility that Allen believed was perfectly suited for the NBA’s style of play.

Sure enough, he was right.

“Once he got to the league, the floor opened up for him,” said Allen. “He got more space, he got to do all that stuff he has in his game, get into his bag a little bit. I knew he was going to perform really well. Maybe not this soon. But I knew he was going to do really well.”

Now, it’s Allen’s turn to show NBA teams what he can do at the professional level. He’s been working out for NBA franchises throughout the month of June, and Friday was his opportunity to prove his worth to the Celtics’ brass.

Allen put up career numbers of 14.1 points, 3.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game, all while shooting 38.0 percent from 3-point range during his four-year stint in the NCAA. While many players of his skill level would have likely declared for the Draft earlier, Allen believes he benefitted from a full four seasons at Duke considering the high-level learning environment he experienced under legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski.

“My basketball IQ improved so much just by playing for him,” said the 6-foot-4, 2015 NCAA champion. “I learned how to prepare like a pro, how to recover like a pro, how to live like a pro while at Duke. And I also think that I’m in a better spot to land and stick in the league. I think if I were to come out after my freshman or sophomore year, I would’ve been in a good spot, but I would’ve had to get lucky in a good situation. Right now, I think I’m in a place where I can handle a good situation, a bad situation, grinding through the G-League, anything. I can handle all of that and have a long-term career at this point.”

If he is available at pick No. 27, Allen could start his career with the Celtics, if they choose to draft him. And by now, the team is very familiar with his game.

“He’s a prospect we’ve seen so much of,” said Celtics Director of Player Personnel Austin Ainge. “Not only has he played well all four years, but has played with other really good players that we’ve been evaluating.”

Added Ainge, “He’s a great shooter, obviously. A great athlete and competitor. He won a lot of games, scored a lot of big baskets. He’s a good player.”

Nonetheless, there are many good players that the C’s are looking at to potentially take with their lone pick of the draft. Allen was one of six players to work out for the C’s Friday, competing with and against Louisville forward Deng Adel, Oklahoma State guard Jeffrey Carroll, Kansas forward Billy Preston, Arizona guard Allonzo Trier and Texas Christian guard Kenrich Williams.

Aside from that bunch, the Celtics have worked out roughly 50 other hopefuls. Ainge says the team has narrowed that list down to about 10 players whom could be potentially taken with the 27th overall pick.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:33 pm

https://www.facebook.com/bostonceltics/videos/10156282773252667/



bob



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by dboss on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:33 pm

If Boston drafted Allen at least we would get a good kick out of it.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8878
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by worcester on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Yeah, Preston was a much better performer when he was alive.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5686
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:46 am

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/08/kenrich-williams-calls-boston-celtics-draft-workouts-different/



Kenrich Williams calls Boston Celtics’ draft workouts “different”



By: Greg Cassoli | 19 hours ago




Every team has their own strategies heading into the NBA Draft, but all teams’ prep work includes workouts with prospects. According to TCU’s Kenrich Williams the Boston Celtics take a unique approach in that regard.


Tom Westerholm
✔️
@Tom_NBA
TCU's Kenrich Williams said the Celtics’ workout was different from other workouts he has experienced. "This was more based on defense and how tough you are."

10:11 AM - Jun 8, 2018
51
23 people are talking about this


Williams described Boston’s workouts as different from other teams in the league.


“This was more based on defense and how tough you are,” he said, per MassLive’s Tom Westerholm.

The description fits the Celtics’ organizational ethos. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge’s most consistent point of praise during pre-draft evaluations in recent years has been highlighting individuals’ willingness to compete. He loves scrappy players, and Boston’s roster is chalk full of them because of it.


bob
MY NOTE:  No big surprise here, Danny and Brad have made no secret they look very closely at character, competitiveness and tenacity.  They believe one can be taught how to shoot, how to be in the right place for defense  but you can't teach a player to want to put the time into learning how to shoot or to take charges.  A lot of people, including me, was surprised when Danny took Rozier at 16 but one of the things that opened Danny and Brad's eyes to him was that after completing the grueling so-called "Boston Marathon" at the end of the workout, TRo wanted to do it again because he thought he could do better.  Nobody had ever seen someone want to go through that again. That's what Danny and Brad are looking for.


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Dan Greenberg @StoolGreenie
about 3 hours ago
Cleanup on isle @Danny Ainge's pants twitter.com/DXContent/stat…

reply retweet like


DraftExpressContent


@DXContent
Follow Follow @DXContent
More
‘I changed mechanics on my jump shot and I’m really seeing a difference... The ball is coming off my two guide fingers + feels really smooth...’

~ Mo Bamba at our interview + workout with him in #LA, where he is training with #NBA trainer @DrewHanlen >> http://dx.im/Bamba-Workout

https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/1005550758140563456



bob



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/08/kenrich-williams-calls-boston-celtics-draft-workouts-different/



Kenrich Williams calls Boston Celtics’ draft workouts “different”



By: Greg Cassoli | 19 hours ago




Every team has their own strategies heading into the NBA Draft, but all teams’ prep work includes workouts with prospects. According to TCU’s Kenrich Williams the Boston Celtics take a unique approach in that regard.


Tom Westerholm
✔️
@Tom_NBA
TCU's Kenrich Williams said the Celtics’ workout was different from other workouts he has experienced. "This was more based on defense and how tough you are."

10:11 AM - Jun 8, 2018

51
23 people are talking about this


Williams described Boston’s workouts as different from other teams in the league.




“This was more based on defense and how tough you are,” he said, per MassLive’s Tom Westerholm.

The description fits the Celtics’ organizational ethos. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge’s most consistent point of praise during pre-draft evaluations in recent years has been highlighting individuals’ willingness to compete. He loves scrappy players, and Boston’s roster is chalk full of them because of it.


bob
MY NOTE:  No big surprise here, Danny and Brad have made no secret they look very closely at character, competitiveness and tenacity.  They believe one can be taught how to shoot, how to be in the right place for
defense  but you can't teach a player to want to put the time into learning how to shoot or to take charges.  A lot of people, including me, was surprised when Danny took Rozier at 16 but one of the things that opened Danny and Brad's eyes to him was that after completing the grueling so-called "Boston Marathon" at the end of the workout, TRo wanted to do it again because he thought he could do better.  Nobody had ever seen someone want to go through that again.  That's what Danny and Brad are looking for.


Right bob, after making a big mistake on one of your favorites Kelly O, Danny knew he had to change his drafting methods and is looking for athletes with character that can develop and work.

On another note been reading about a draft wildcard, 7 footer Mitchell Robinson who skipped playing college ball last year and might have lottery level talent....


.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14120
Join date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:59 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/08/kenrich-williams-calls-boston-celtics-draft-workouts-different/



Kenrich Williams calls Boston Celtics’ draft workouts “different”



By: Greg Cassoli | 19 hours ago




Every team has their own strategies heading into the NBA Draft, but all teams’ prep work includes workouts with prospects. According to TCU’s Kenrich Williams the Boston Celtics take a unique approach in that regard.


Tom Westerholm
✔️
@Tom_NBA
TCU's Kenrich Williams said the Celtics’ workout was different from other workouts he has experienced. "This was more based on defense and how tough you are."

10:11 AM - Jun 8, 2018

51
23 people are talking about this


Williams described Boston’s workouts as different from other teams in the league.




“This was more based on defense and how tough you are,” he said, per MassLive’s Tom Westerholm.

The description fits the Celtics’ organizational ethos. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge’s most consistent point of praise during pre-draft evaluations in recent years has been highlighting individuals’ willingness to compete. He loves scrappy players, and Boston’s roster is chalk full of them because of it.


bob
MY NOTE:  No big surprise here, Danny and Brad have made no secret they look very closely at character, competitiveness and tenacity.  They believe one can be taught how to shoot, how to be in the right place for
defense  but you can't teach a player to want to put the time into learning how to shoot or to take charges.  A lot of people, including me, was surprised when Danny took Rozier at 16 but one of the things that opened Danny and Brad's eyes to him was that after completing the grueling so-called "Boston Marathon" at the end of the workout, TRo wanted to do it again because he thought he could do better.  Nobody had ever seen someone want to go through that again.  That's what Danny and Brad are looking for.


Right bob, after making a big mistake on one of your favorites Kelly O, Danny knew he had to change his drafting methods and is looking for athletes with character that can develop and work.

On another note been reading about a draft wildcard, 7 footer Mitchell Robinson who skipped playing college ball last year and might have lottery level talent....


.


Cow,

There was/is nothing wrong with Kelly's character.  I'd be willing to bet if we didn't sign Hayward, which triggered the departure of several players, Danny would have resigned Kelly Olynyk.

And Brad was on board in 2013 when Kelly was drafted too. Brad worked Kelly out.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38135
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Not for 15 mill, Heat are gonna have to live with that contract for a 20 minute a game player.

Agreed nothing wrong with his character, that alone doesn’t cut it on this level.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14120
Join date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by dboss on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:02 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Not for 15 mill, Heat are gonna have to live with that contract for a 20 minute a game player.

Agreed nothing wrong with his character, that alone doesn’t cut it on this level.
A good point.  With or without the Hayward inspired salary dump, Boston was not giving KO $15 mill.

Think of it this way,  forgetting about herd mentality.  Danny made a big mistake jumping over the freak to draft KO.  No excuses..it was a bad trade up to take KO.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8878
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by NYCelt on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Not for 15 mill, Heat are gonna have to live with that contract for a 20 minute a game player.

Agreed nothing wrong with his character, that alone doesn’t cut it on this level.
A good point.  With or without the Hayward inspired salary dump, Boston was not giving KO $15 mill.

Think of it this way,  forgetting about herd mentality.  Danny made a big mistake jumping over the freak to draft KO.  No excuses..it was a bad trade up to take KO.

Agreed. It was a bad deal and a reach to take KO as they did.

No GM bats 1.000. Hopefully it's a lesson that always sticks with Ainge.

Fortunately, his good calls have been very good.
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7328
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:47 pm

NYCelt what do you think of Mitchell Robinson?
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14120
Join date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by NYCelt on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:NYCelt what do you think of Mitchell Robinson?

I'd pass without even considering him for a moment.

With so much riding on each and every pick, I would want to see at least a year of NCAA ball. I think he's too much of a gamble.

In the case of The Celtics, one or two bigs who can provide interior defense and rebounding could mean its title time.

Like everyone, I haven't seen him actually play. Some pre-draft workouts don't tell nearly enough and video clips are completely useless. To me, it's a bad time to risk an unknown.
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7328
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 am

he'd be a better gamble in the second round, but I think some team will take a chance at some point in round round on him myself.

maybe a team with multiple first round picks ( Philly and Atlanta come to mind).
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3786
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:02 am

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:NYCelt what do you think of Mitchell Robinson?

I'd pass without even considering him for a moment.

With so much riding on each and every pick, I would want to see at least a year of NCAA ball. I think he's too much of a gamble.

In the case of The Celtics, one or two bigs who can provide interior defense and rebounding could mean its title time.

Like everyone, I haven't seen him actually play. Some pre-draft workouts don't tell nearly enough and video clips are completely useless. To me, it's a bad time to risk an unknown.

Who knows? Strange a player would skip a whole year, I’d at least invite him in for a workout and see what’s there....he is 7 ft, supposedly athletic
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14120
Join date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by dboss on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:52 am

Saw a mock with Boston taking Dzanan Musa  at #27

He has deep deep range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=105&v=dWsl89TyPY0
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8878
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum