NBA 2018 Draft

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by dboss on Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 pm

The Celtics can get another big man at 27 and next year the King's pick provides more options.

I would not trade Rozier or Smart and or a pick to move up into the top 5.

I think sometimes you have to recognize the quality of players that you have.

I think we can keep what we got and add to it.  Now that Embid is gone there are no elite centers left except for Horford who is really a hybrid. We should be mindful of the trends.  You do not have to have an elite center to win.

Stay the course because Tr is special and so is Marcus Smart.  Get both of them longterm and they will help you win a championship.


Last edited by dboss on Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8715
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by swish on Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 pm

But in the real world it all comes down to what course of action Ainge and his staff believe is best for the Celtics. Eventually it will all unfold. In the meantime speculation is the topic of the day.

swish

swish

Posts : 2604
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by NYCelt on Thu May 10, 2018 9:58 pm

swish wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:
swish wrote:Red rolled the dice in 1956 when he traded for Russell - giving up 2 first team college All americans during their college years (Macauley and Hagen) - who both went on to become HOF'ERS.  Who knows for sure if Ainge  has that same special feeling for any other player that could be available this year.

  swish
I hear you, but I don`t see the next Bill Russell in the upcoming draft. I`m no expert , though.

        JR,,, With the benefit of hindsight it was a great deal for Red -
   History shows that Auerbach got it right when he made the deal for Russell - but at the time not all pro coaches were convinced that Russell would be as successful in  the PROS as he had been in college. There was considerable risk involved for the Celtics.   See below draft day story.

  " In reality, the reasons for Rochester’s infamous decision to pass on the Hall of Fame center were more varied, and (if it’s even possible), more interesting to modern NBA fans. As a United Press Association story from draft day in 1956 noted:

It was said three factors caused Rochester to name Green over Russell; 1. Russell’s absence until late December as a member of the U.S. Olympic team; 2. The fact that the Harlem Globetrotters should bid high for his services; 3. Doubt among some pro coaches that Russell will star in the pro game as he did in college."

I also was against the deal - one of my first basketball lessons as an amateur General Manager - don't bet against the pro's

   swish  

Swish,

You're an excellent historian. Being a Rochestarian, with parents who were Royals season ticket holders, friends with some of the team, and with Celtics owner Harry Mangurian, the Russell deal has always been of special interest to me. I've heard a lot about it over the years.

Major factors also included the fact that Russ wanted a $25,000 signing bonus, which Royals management felt was way too high.  Of course, Rochester didn't need Russ since they already had Maurice Stokes. Stokes, of course, suffered a career ending and tragic injury in 1958. Having Stokes under contract, The Royals needed a shooter from that draft, and took Sihugo Green. I think Green played briefly for the Celtics, in 1965 I believe.

The Ice Capades, of course, had nothing to do with it. I always remind people of that one!

Regards
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7310
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 pm

NYCelt wrote:
swish wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:
swish wrote:Red rolled the dice in 1956 when he traded for Russell - giving up 2 first team college All americans during their college years (Macauley and Hagen) - who both went on to become HOF'ERS.  Who knows for sure if Ainge  has that same special feeling for any other player that could be available this year.

  swish
I hear you, but I don`t see the next Bill Russell in the upcoming draft. I`m no expert , though.

        JR,,, With the benefit of hindsight it was a great deal for Red -
   History shows that Auerbach got it right when he made the deal for Russell - but at the time not all pro coaches were convinced that Russell would be as successful in  the PROS as he had been in college. There was considerable risk involved for the Celtics.   See below draft day story.

  " In reality, the reasons for Rochester’s infamous decision to pass on the Hall of Fame center were more varied, and (if it’s even possible), more interesting to modern NBA fans. As a United Press Association story
from draft day in 1956 noted:


It was said three factors caused Rochester to name Green over Russell; 1. Russell’s absence until late December as a member of the U.S. Olympic team; 2. The fact that the Harlem Globetrotters should bid high for his services; 3. Doubt among some pro coaches that Russell will star in the pro game as he did in college."

I also was against the deal - one of my first basketball lessons as an amateur General Manager - don't bet against the pro's


   swish  

Swish,

You're an excellent historian. Being a Rochestarian, with parents who were Royals season ticket holders, friends with some of the team, and with Celtics owner Harry Mangurian, the Russell deal has always been of special
interest to me. I've heard a lot about it over the years.

Major factors also included the fact that Russ wanted a $25,000 signing bonus, which Royals management felt was way too high.  Of course, Rochester didn't need Russ since they already had Maurice Stokes. Stokes, of course, suffered a career ending and tragic injury in 1958. Having Stokes under contract, The Royals needed a shooter from that draft, and took Sihugo Green. I think Green played briefly for the Celtics, in 1965 I believe.

The Ice Capades, of course, had nothing to do with it. I always remind people of that one!


Regards

Wow great to hear the real story!! Another reason to love this board....saw clips of Stokes play, was one of the first true power players back in the day. If they would have paired Stokes and Russell back then, that would have been potentially pretty devastating, then get a shooter later....
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14006
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by swish on Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:
swish wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:
swish wrote:Red rolled the dice in 1956 when he traded for Russell - giving up 2 first team college All americans during their college years (Macauley and Hagen) - who both went on to become HOF'ERS.  Who knows for sure if Ainge  has that same special feeling for any other player that could be available this year.

  swish
I hear you, but I don`t see the next Bill Russell in the upcoming draft. I`m no expert , though.

        JR,,, With the benefit of hindsight it was a great deal for Red -
   History shows that Auerbach got it right when he made the deal for Russell - but at the time not all pro coaches were convinced that Russell would be as successful in  the PROS as he had been in college. There was considerable risk involved for the Celtics.   See below draft day story.

  " In reality, the reasons for Rochester’s infamous decision to pass on the Hall of Fame center were more varied, and (if it’s even possible), more interesting to modern NBA fans. As a United Press Association story
from draft day in 1956 noted:


It was said three factors caused Rochester to name Green over Russell; 1. Russell’s absence until late December as a member of the U.S. Olympic team; 2. The fact that the Harlem Globetrotters should bid high for his services; 3. Doubt among some pro coaches that Russell will star in the pro game as he did in college."

I also was against the deal - one of my first basketball lessons as an amateur General Manager - don't bet against the pro's


   swish  

Swish,

You're an excellent historian. Being a Rochestarian, with parents who were Royals season ticket holders, friends with some of the team, and with Celtics owner Harry Mangurian, the Russell deal has always been of special
interest to me. I've heard a lot about it over the years.

Major factors also included the fact that Russ wanted a $25,000 signing bonus, which Royals management felt was way too high.  Of course, Rochester didn't need Russ since they already had Maurice Stokes. Stokes, of course, suffered a career ending and tragic injury in 1958. Having Stokes under contract, The Royals needed a shooter from that draft, and took Sihugo Green. I think Green played briefly for the Celtics, in 1965 I believe.

The Ice Capades, of course, had nothing to do with it. I always remind people of that one!


Regards

Wow great to hear the real story!! Another reason to love this board....saw clips of Stokes play, was one of the first true power players back in the day. If they would have paired Stokes and Russell back then, that would have been potentially pretty devastating, then get a shooter later....

Oldschool

They already had one of the best shooters of the 50's in small forward Jack Twyman. Unfortunately Maurice Stoke's nba career ended tragically in 1957-58 at the age of 24.

swish

swish

Posts : 2604
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by swish on Thu May 10, 2018 11:23 pm

NYCelt wrote:
swish wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:
swish wrote:Red rolled the dice in 1956 when he traded for Russell - giving up 2 first team college All americans during their college years (Macauley and Hagen) - who both went on to become HOF'ERS.  Who knows for sure if Ainge  has that same special feeling for any other player that could be available this year.

  swish
I hear you, but I don`t see the next Bill Russell in the upcoming draft. I`m no expert , though.

        JR,,, With the benefit of hindsight it was a great deal for Red -
   History shows that Auerbach got it right when he made the deal for Russell - but at the time not all pro coaches were convinced that Russell would be as successful in  the PROS as he had been in college. There was considerable risk involved for the Celtics.   See below draft day story.

  " In reality, the reasons for Rochester’s infamous decision to pass on the Hall of Fame center were more varied, and (if it’s even possible), more interesting to modern NBA fans. As a United Press Association story from draft day in 1956 noted:

It was said three factors caused Rochester to name Green over Russell; 1. Russell’s absence until late December as a member of the U.S. Olympic team; 2. The fact that the Harlem Globetrotters should bid high for his services; 3. Doubt among some pro coaches that Russell will star in the pro game as he did in college."

I also was against the deal - one of my first basketball lessons as an amateur General Manager - don't bet against the pro's

   swish  

Swish,

You're an excellent historian. Being a Rochestarian, with parents who were Royals season ticket holders, friends with some of the team, and with Celtics owner Harry Mangurian, the Russell deal has always been of special interest to me. I've heard a lot about it over the years.

Major factors also included the fact that Russ wanted a $25,000 signing bonus, which Royals management felt was way too high.  Of course, Rochester didn't need Russ since they already had Maurice Stokes. Stokes, of course, suffered a career ending and tragic injury in 1958. Having Stokes under contract, The Royals needed a shooter from that draft, and took Sihugo Green. I think Green played briefly for the Celtics, in 1965 I believe.

The Ice Capades, of course, had nothing to do with it. I always remind people of that one!

Regards

NYCelt

Below is the link that I quoted from in my above statement - with a lot more detail.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/06/22/bill-russell

swish

swish

Posts : 2604
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by worcester on Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Twyman took care of Stokes for years after his injury. Both were great men.

http://www.espn.com/classic/biography/s/Stokes_Maurice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twyman%E2%80%93Stokes_Teammate_of_the_Year_Award
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5677
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by swish on Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 am

worcester wrote:Twyman took care of Stokes for years after his injury. Both were great men.

http://www.espn.com/classic/biography/s/Stokes_Maurice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twyman%E2%80%93Stokes_Teammate_of_the_Year_Award

Maurice Stokes and Ernie Davis - two sports tragedies of the late 50's and early 60's - and Jack Twyman was there for Stokes all the way.

swish

swish

Posts : 2604
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by jrleftfoot on Fri May 11, 2018 12:29 am

I`m older than you , worcester, but just by by a  little. I knew the Stokes story , but not the Russell draft connection. Thanks for the history lesson , swish. I still ain`t trading Brown or Tatum for a draft choice , though.Who are the dominant bigs on Golden State , OKC etc? We need a serviceable one , but I don`t see the crying need in today`s NBA. I`m for building on what we have, but these discussions are fun.
avatar
jrleftfoot

Posts : 795
Join date : 2016-07-07

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by swish on Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I`m older than you , worcester, but just by by a  little. I knew the Stokes story , but not the Russell draft connection. Thanks for the history lesson , swish. I still ain`t trading Brown or Tatum for a draft choice , though.Who are the dominant bigs on Golden State , OKC etc? We need a serviceable one , but I don`t see the crying need in today`s NBA. I`m for building on what we have, but these discussions are fun.

jr

I hear you loud and clear - opinions are what make this board a success - keep them coming.

swish

swish

Posts : 2604
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by Shamrock1000 on Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 pm

The question I have regarding the Celtic's draft this summer is whether or not our old friend Rambone will be back? Seems like he comes back each summer with some very passionate draft posts and then disappears.

Shamrock1000

Posts : 1383
Join date : 2013-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by KyleCleric on Fri May 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:The question I have regarding the Celtic's draft this summer is whether or not our old friend Rambone will be back? Seems like he comes back each summer with some very passionate draft posts and then disappears.

Hopefully we'll luck into 2 or 3

KyleCleric

Posts : 551
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am

my pre draft combine draft rankings:

1---C-------DeAndre Ayton-----7-0----Arizona
2---PF------Marvin Bagley------6-11---Duke
3--SG/SF----Luka Doncic-------6-7----Int
4---PF------Jaren Jackson Jr----6-11--Michigan St
5---SF------Michael Porter------6-10---Missouri
6----C------Mohamed Bamba----7-0----Texas
7--PF/C------Wendell Carter-----6-10---Duke
8--SG/SF-----Mikal Bridges------6-7----Villanova
9----PG--------Trae Young--------6-2----Oklahoma
10---PG-------Colin Sexton------6-2-----Alabama
11--SF/PF-----Miles Bridges------6-7----Michigan St
12--SF/PF------Kevin Knox-------6-9-----Kentucky
13---PG---Shai Gilgeous- Alexander--6-6---Kentucky
14---SG---------Lonnie Walker-----6-4-----Miami
15--PF/C-------Robert Williams----6-9-----Texas A&M
16---SG---------Zhaire Smith------6-5-----Texas Tech
17---SF----------Dzanan Musa-----6-9------Int
18---C----------Mitchell Robinson---7-1-----None
19--PG/SG--------Troy Brown-------6-7-----Oregon
20--PG/SG------Anfernee Simons---6-3----None
21--PF/C---------Jontay Porter-----6-11----Missouri
22--PG/SG------Jerome Robinson---6-5----Boston Col
23--PG/SG-------Khyri Thomas-----6-3-----Creighton
24---PG----------Jalen Brunson-----6-2-----Villanova
25--SG/SF------Chandler Hutchison---6-7---Boise St
26---SG---------Donte DiVincenzo----6-4----Villanova
27---PG------------Elie Okobo---------6-2-----Int
28---SG-----------Gary Trent Jr-------6-6-----Duke
29---PG-----------Aaron Holiday------6-1-----UCLA
30---PG/SG-------Landry Shamet-----6-4----Wichita St

31----PG----------Trevon Duval--------6-2-----Duke
32----C-----------Brandon McCoy------7-0-----UNLV
33----SF---------Keita Bates-Diop-----6-7-----Ohio St
34----PF----------Chimezie Metu------6-10-----USC
35----SG----------Bruce Brown--------6-5------Miami
36----PG-----------Tony Carr----------6-5-------Penn St
37----SG-----------Jacob Evans-------6-6-------Cincinnati
38---PG/SG-----De'Anthony Melton----6-3------USC
39---SG/SF--------Melvin Frazier------6-5-------Tulane
40-----SF---------Rodions Kurucs------6-8-------Int
41----SG----------Grayson Allen-------6-5------Duke
42---PF/C--------Omari Spellman -----6-9------Villanova
43---PF/C---------Moritz Wagner------6-11-----Michigan
44---PG/SG-------Shake Milton--------6-6------SMU
45----SG----------Rawle Aikins---------6-4-----Arizona
46----SG----------Hamidou Diallo------6-5-----Kentucky
47----PG----------Devonte Graham-----6-2-----Kansas
48----SF------------Isaac Bonga--------6-9------Int
49----C-------------Goga Bitadze-------6-11-----Int
50---SG/SF---------Josh Okogie---------6-4----Georgia Tech
51----SG--------Sviatoslav Mykhailuk---6-8----Kansas
52----SG-------------Tyus Battle---------6-6----Syracuse
53----SF-----------Kenrich Williams-----6-7----TCU
54----PG------------Jevon Carter--------6-2----W. Virginia
55----SF-----------Justin Jackson-------6-7----Maryland
56----SG-----------Malik Newman-------6-3-----Kansas
57----SF-----------Kevin Hervey---------6-8-----Texas
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3767
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by NYCelt on Sun May 13, 2018 9:36 am

Simple choices in my opinion.

Part with some assets if you can get high enough to draft Bamba or Carter.

If no takers, or you want to hold 'em and take a chance you secure the rebounding needed later, hope McCoy, or possibly Metu are available and take one of them.

Simple. In my mind. In D Ainges mind? Stay tuned. It could get exciting.
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7310
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by swish on Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 pm

The internet is loaded with info about the upcoming draftees - making the process of handicapping the picks a lot easier then it was in the past. That's a nice list kdp59 - and my son and I, like you, spent hours every year putting our list together. Generally speaking the high picks are reasonably predictable - but its when you try to guess with a general manager that is picking low in the draft - like our Danny, that the game takes on a whole new look. Will he move up in the draft or trade for a non draftee (and who will be involved) or will he just not make any moves at all. Is there any one out there that thinks he can predict, with high degree of accuracy, what Danny will due on draft day? Give it a try.

swish

swish

Posts : 2604
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Sun May 13, 2018 12:25 pm

swish wrote:The internet is loaded with info about the upcoming draftees - making the process of handicapping the picks a lot easier then it was in the past. That's a nice list kdp59 - and my son and I, like you, spent hours every year putting our list together. Generally speaking the high picks are reasonably predictable - but its when you try to guess with a general manager that is picking low in the draft - like our Danny, that the game takes on a whole new look. Will he move up in the draft or trade for a non draftee (and who will be involved) or will he just not make any moves at all. Is there any one out there that thinks he can predict, with 100% accuracy, what Danny will due on draft day? Give it a try.

swish

thanks swish, Like you I have kept my own "lists" for the draft fro many years and been posting them once draft season "starts" here since I joined.

however I should have noted a couple things , that I have in the past about these "rankings"

1) I know absolutely NOTHING about the players and only watch a little of the highlight even. I do not pretend to be any type of scout at all. As Bob knows I use the quote "a man has to know his limitations" and it fits well here for me.


2) my "rankings" are simply a combination of mock drafts from websites I have used and found to be decent in the past. For this list I used draftnet, draftroom and Sports Illustrated most recent 2 round mocks.

a player must be on at least 2 out the three to make my list. they are combined and averaged to get my combined ranking here.

it is not to be considered a mock draft at all.

but don;t worry I will likey do a few of those if I have time after the Celtics beat GS in the finals this year... Very Happy
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3767
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am

https://nesn.com/2018/05/nba-mock-draft-roundup-potential-fits-for-celtics-after-2018-lottery/



Potential Fits For Celtics After 2018 Lottery



by Ricky Doyle on Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:36PM





Photo via Robert Deutsch/USA TODAY Sports Images



The pingpong balls didn’t bounce the Boston Celtics’ way Tuesday night at the 2018 NBA Draft Lottery, meaning they won’t have the No. 2 or No. 3 overall pick next month.

The C’s still are slated to pick 27th, though, and several mock drafts published since the lottery offer a glimpse of who Boston could target with its own first-round pick.

Let’s take a look at who the internet has the Celtics taking at No. 27.


ESPN.com

The pick: De’Anthony Melton (PG/SG, USC)

The reason: “The Celtics have a tough decision in front of them with Marcus Smart entering restricted free agency and Terry Rozier eligible for an extension, and they might need to find a less expensive backcourt option to avoid luxury-tax issues.

Melton looked to be on the verge of a breakout season for USC before the FBI’s investigation into recruiting shut him down indefinitely. His defensive versatility, toughness and intangibles make him a prospect worth investing in.”


SI.com

The pick: Jalen Brunson (PG, Villanova)

The reason: “The Celtics can go any number of directions here thanks to their roster depth. They may be priced out of keeping Marcus Smart this summer and Terry Rozier the next, and adding a guy like Brunson would be a prudent move for long-term backcourt depth. Brunson’s otherworldly feel for the game and shooting ability makes him one of the safest bets in the draft to have a long career. Boston has its stars in place and can focus on filling in the blanks.”


CBSSports.com

The pick: Jacob Evans III (SF, Cincinnati)

The reason: “Evans is a do-everything wing who guards multiple positions, plays tough and consistently makes outside jumpers — evidence being how he shot 39.4 percent from 3-point range in his final two years at Cincinnati while helping the Bearcats earn a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. He didn’t take over games often, it’s fair to note. But it’s not hard to imagine him flourishing under Brad Stevens, if only because most young players do.”


SportingNews.com

The pick: Josh Okogie (SG, Georgia Tech)

The reason: “Okogie hasn’t actually made his final decision on whether he’ll stay in the draft this year, but if he does, he could be a riser during the pre-draft process. The 6-4 guard stands out as a potential defensive stopper due to his length, strength and athleticism. He’s also a career 38.2 percent shooter from behind the arc. Okogie isn’t a first-round projected prospect yet, but he could end up here by the time the draft rolls around.”


theScore.com

The pick: Bruce Brown (G, Miami)

The reason: “Snagging Brown in Round 1 would surely indicate the Celtics are ready to move on from Marcus Smart, who might become a tad too expensive for Boston. Brown’s midseason foot injury will raise a few eyebrows, but he’s an ideal fit in Brad Stevens’ next-man-up system. The versatile, 6-5 guard averaged 7.1 boards and four assists in 19 games.”



bob
MY NOTE: Every one a back court player, based upon the assumptions Smart and/or Rozier will not be with us long-term.



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38021
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm

bad assumptions I think

we control Smart next next year and Rozier the years after

Danny can draft BPA (in his mind) and not for any need . Not that you would get much NBA ready hep at #27 anyway.

avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3767
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by steve3344 on Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Luka Doncic isn't ready to commit to playing in the NBA next season. Sacramento was seriously considering him at #2.

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-no-1-pick-luka-doncic-isnt-ready-commit-nba-next-season-160639600.html

steve3344

Posts : 3887
Join date : 2009-10-27
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by KyleCleric on Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 pm

steve3344 wrote:Luka Doncic isn't ready to commit to playing in the NBA next season. Sacramento was seriously considering him at #2.

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-no-1-pick-luka-doncic-isnt-ready-commit-nba-next-season-160639600.html

That makes it difficult for them especially since they're missing next year's pick. Probably should go with Bagley or Porter.

KyleCleric

Posts : 551
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/5/18/17369240/celtics-having-an-interview-with-mpj?hl=1&noRedirect=1



Celtics having an interview with MPJ



By Kentavious McNugget on May 18, 2018, 1:44pm EDT 4



I know we have an important series coming on right now against a good team but it's intriguing to speculate about what is going to happen in the offseason. We all know by now that the Celtics didn't get a pick in this "loaded draft" (a draft class is hyped up like this every year but the players at the top of this class have wicked high ceilings) but the Celtics definitely have enough assets to trade up.

I was scrolling through Twitter and I noticed that the Celtics scheduled an interview with Michael Porter Jr. This could mean nothing but I have trouble understanding why DA would have an interview when we have no chance of getting him from where we pick.

Michael Porter Jr. is one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft and he has unlimited potential offensively. He has elite size (6'10") and athleticism and could be a dominant two-way player. He may be a tad redundant with Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Porter Jr. but he could be an elite scorer off the bench and evolve into a starter when Hayward's contract expires.

I'm not sure what we would package up to get him but I'd have to imagine that the deal revolves around Rozier, 2019 SAC, and the 2019 MEM pick.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think we could acquire MPJ?



Josh Robbins
✔️
@JoshuaBRobbins
Michael Porter Jr. said he's interviewed with the Knicks, Mavericks, 76ers, Suns, Cavaliers, Hawks, Grizzlies, Rockets and Clippers & is scheduled to interview with the Kings, Hornets, Thunder & Celtics tomorrow. He isn't scheduled to meet with the Magic this week.

4:10 PM - May 17, 2018
179
106 people are talking about this


bob
MY NOTE:  I don't know anything about this kid, good or bad, but I do see that he is projected to go somewhere around 5-6.  WTF is Danny talking to him for and why would his agent let him talk to a team that is picking #27?  Ok, here we go folks, Danny is gearing up...


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38021
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by bobheckler on Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 20 minutes ago
Luka Doncic on BEin Sport: "Every time I step on the court, I just want to have fun. When I don't have fun, I don't play so good."


bob
MY NOTE:  And some GM will draft this immature kid in the top 3 or so and he will be the next Ricky Rubio.  He's good now, but how many years has Rubio been a disappointment because he didn't adapt well from Europe?  The talent, speed and physicality of the NBA will almost guarantee he will have a lot of unhappy games, in fact coaches will tell their players to bully him, and his response to it will be to pout.  It's not about talent only.


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38021
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Mon May 21, 2018 4:57 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/5/18/17369240/celtics-having-an-interview-with-mpj?hl=1&noRedirect=1



Celtics having an interview with MPJ



By Kentavious McNugget on May 18, 2018, 1:44pm EDT 4



I know we have an important series coming on right now against a good team but it's intriguing to speculate about what is going to happen in the offseason. We all know by now that the Celtics didn't get a pick in this "loaded draft" (a draft class is hyped up like this every year but the players at the top of this class have wicked high ceilings) but the Celtics definitely have enough assets to trade up.

I was scrolling through Twitter and I noticed that the Celtics scheduled an interview with Michael Porter Jr. This could mean nothing but I have trouble understanding why DA would have an interview when we have no chance of getting him from where we pick.

Michael Porter Jr. is one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft and he has unlimited potential offensively. He has elite size (6'10") and athleticism and could be a dominant two-way player. He may be a tad redundant with Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Porter Jr. but he could be an elite scorer off the bench and evolve into a starter when Hayward's contract expires.

I'm not sure what we would package up to get him but I'd have to imagine that the deal revolves around Rozier, 2019 SAC, and the 2019 MEM pick.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think we could acquire MPJ?



Josh Robbins
✔️
@JoshuaBRobbins
Michael Porter Jr. said he's interviewed with the Knicks, Mavericks, 76ers, Suns, Cavaliers, Hawks, Grizzlies, Rockets and Clippers & is scheduled to interview with the Kings, Hornets, Thunder & Celtics tomorrow. He isn't scheduled to meet with the Magic this week.

4:10 PM - May 17, 2018
179
106 people are talking about this


bob
MY NOTE:  I don't know anything about this kid, good or bad, but I do see that he is projected to go somewhere around 5-6.  WTF is Danny talking to him for and why would his agent let him talk to a team that is picking #27?  Ok, here we go folks, Danny is gearing up...


.

hey Bob

maybe Danny's just asking him about his brother

Very Happy
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3767
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 20 minutes ago
Luka Doncic on BEin Sport: "Every time I step on the court, I just want to have fun. When I don't have fun, I don't play so good."


bob
MY NOTE:  And some GM will draft this immature kid in the top 3 or so and he will be the next Ricky Rubio.  He's good now, but how many years has Rubio been a disappointment because he didn't adapt well from Europe?  The talent, speed and physicality of the NBA will almost guarantee he will have a lot of unhappy games, in fact coaches will tell their players to bully him, and his response to it will be to pout.  It's not about talent only.


.

I’ve never seen him play, but read that he is not an elite athlete and defender....
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14006
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 on Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am

Adam Zagoria: Celtics President Danny Ainge took @NovaMBB ‘s Donte DiVincenzo to lunch after their workout this week, source says. Celts pick at No. 27 and are in the hunt for a 2nd-rounder also. pic.twitter.com/OedEkZnOLy – via Twitter AdamZagoria
Danny Ainge, Draft, Donte DiVincenzo, Boston Celtics



avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3767
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum