Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 Empty Re: NBA 2018 Draft

Post by kdp59 Wed May 23, 2018 12:13 pm

I thought some may find these profiles interesting:

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2018-big-board-top-30.html

# Player Pos. Big Board Analysis Comp. ↕️

1 DeAndre Ayton C HT: 7-1 - WT: 260 - WING: 7-5 - FROM: Arizona
Ayton is a combination of an extremely high upside prospect and also a safe bet: a guy who should be a 20 and 10 player sooner rather than later. In a strong draft class like this, Ayton stands out above the crowd as clearly the best prospect.
Boogie

2 Marvin Bagley III PF HT: 6-11 - WT: 235 - WING: 7-1 - FROM: Duke
To call Bagley a generational talent is a stretch but it's been a long time since we've seen a 6-11 player who can move the way he does (Giannis) and his combination of athleticism, natural talent and hustle is hard to match. He's a guy who could take a year or two to find his groove in the NBA but when the pieces all come together for him he's got a chance to be an All-NBA player.
Kevin Garnett, Beasley

3 Michael Porter Jr. SF HT: 6-10 3/4 - WT: 215 - WING: 7-0 1/4 - FROM: Missouri
This projection comes down to his health. If MPJ gets fully healthy and gets his legs/athleticism back, he'll be a special offensive talent who could end up as one of the leading scorers in the League. There's some obvious risk due to the injury and not seeing him play much at Missouri but based on upside and the possibility of him reaching that upside, MPJ gets the nod over some of the other highly touted lottery talents.
stronger Brandon Ingram

4 Jaren Jackson Jr. PF HT: 6-11 1/4 - WT: 240 - WING: 7-5 1/4 - FROM: Michigan St.
JJJ and Bamba are neck in neck for this spot but Jackson gets the nod due to his solid frame, his youth and a game that seems to translate perfectly to today's NBA. At the very least he projects as a defensive stopper who could be an All-Defensive Team guy for years to come. And he's also got a chance to be an effective offensive player with a back-to-the-basket game and ability to space the floor.
Mourning, Myles Turner

5 Mohamed Bamba C HT: 7-1 - WT: 225 - WING: 7-10 - FROM: Texas
Bamba is a unique prospect who could end up just as good as some of the guys above him on this list. But there's also a chance that his frame doesn't fill out and he struggles to adjust to NBA strength. He shows flashes of small forward skills in an incredibly long frame and his agility at that size, along with his improving ball handling and open floor ability are enough to make scout's mouths water. I see Bamba as a major boom or bust type of player. He could be absolutely special in the League or he could coast along for a few years as an intriguing but ultimately disappointing player.
a more mobile Rudy Gobert

6 Luka Doncic SG HT: 6-8 - WT: 225 - WING: 6-11 - FROM: Slovenia
We've all heard the Doncic hype and it's going to be very exciting to see how is game translates to the NBA but from this one scout's perspective, he projects as a solid starter but not a superstar type of player. His upside is the second best player on a contending team and his floor is a solid starter and glue-guy who shows flashes (and fills the seats and sells a lot of jerseys). I'm ready to be proven wrong and am pulling for him to succeed but I've also seen too many hyped-up but under-athletic players try and fail to live up to those enormous expectations.
Rubio, Mike Miller

7 Wendell Carter Jr. PF HT: 6-10 - WT: 251 - WING: 7-4 1/2 FROM: Duke
Carter Jr. is sort of a boring prospect but when it's all said and done he should have a very long and successful NBA career, with a chance to be an All Star level player in his prime. He can do it all, scoring inside and out, passing the ball and setting screens. Just needs to show that he can guard in space.
Greg Monroe, Al Horford

8 Lonnie Walker SG HT: 6-4 1/2 - WT: 200 - WING: 6-10 1/4 - FROM: Miami
Lonnie Walker (along with Zhaire Smith) is one of those players who has a chance to vastly out-perform their draft position. He's a big time athlete who shows flashes of lead guard ability and lethal scoring instincts. He's got a ways to go and could end up busting but his upside and natural scoring ability could make him a steal in this draft.
Brandon Roy

9 Trae Young PG HT: 6-1 3/4 - WT: 180 - WING: 6-3 - FROM: Oklahoma
Trae is well suited for today's NBA but he's a sub-par athlete who lacks ideal size and so there's some bust potential here as well. He's probably the player in this draft that has the widest range in terms of where he could be in re-drafts 5 years from now. The 6 or 7 players below him on this list could all end up better pros, or Trae could light the NBA on fire and be a perennial All Star.
Tyus Jones +, Steve Nash

10 Mikal Bridges SF HT: 6-8 - WT: 210 - WING: 7-1 - FROM: Villanova
Mikal projects as a role player but could end up being a very high end role player, which gives him a lot of value. I'd be surprised if he makes multiple All Star teams but he's one of the safer picks in this draft and should have a very long career.
Otto Porter

11 Zhaire Smith SF HT: 6-4 - WT: 195 - WING: 6-9 3/4 - FROM: Texas Tech
Zhaire projects as the ultimate glue-guy and defensive stopper who should steadily improve his offensive game. He's an incredible athlete and he's got a truly advanced feel for the game, especially on the defensive end and on the offensive glass. He has court awareness and BBIQ that you can't teach. His upside is as a solid long term starter who might make an All Star team or two in his prime.
John Starks

12 Kevin Knox SF HT: 6-9 - WT: 215 - WING: 6-11 3/4 - FROM: Kentucky
Knox has extremely high upside as one of the youngest players in the draft and possessing freakish athleticism. He'll probably take a few years to come into his own but the wait could be worth it in a big way. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up better than the Bridges and some of the other SG/SFs listed above him.
Paul George

13 Shai Gilgeous- Alexander PG HT: 6-6 - WT: 180 - WING: 6-11 1/2 - FROM: Kentucky
Shai is definitely not a sure thing but there's a lot to like about his game and his frame. He is very crafty with the ball, uses his size well and has a killer instinct. There's boom or bust potential with him.
Tyreke Evans

14 Collin Sexton PG HT: 6-1 1/2 - WT: 185 - WING: 6-7 1/4 - FROM: Alabama
This might be a bit low for Sexton but it's a deep draft and the PG position in the NBA is loaded, so he might not become an All Star (at least not for a lot of years). If his outside shot shows a big improvement, that will obviously do a lot for his game.
better Beverley, Chauncey Billups

15 Jontay Porter PF HT: 6-11 1/2 - WT: 240 - WING: 7-0 1/4 - FROM: Missouri
Jontay has all the makings of a rock solid pro who should develop into a solid starter. His three point shooting is legit and he's got a great feel for passing the ball, two traits that will help him become a solid role player, with some upside as well.
Markieff, Drew Gooden

16 Elie Okobo PG HT: 6-3 - WT: 194 - WING: 6-8 - FROM: France
Okobo is an underrated prospect who should have a very long successful career and could outplay his draft position (assuming he falls to late first, early second). He's a dynamic athlete with good length and a smooth offensive game. He's got all the tools to succeed at the next level.
Dennis Schroeder

17 Mitchell Robinson C HT: 7-0 - WT: 225 - WING: 7-4 - FROM: USA
It's tempting to put Robinson much higher on this list due to his physical profile but he comes with a lot of question marks, to go along with that intriguing upside. Whichever team drafts him will likely have to be patient, but remember, DeAndre Jordon was a second round pick who took many years to develop before hitting his stride.
Whiteside, Bynum

18 Miles Bridges SF HT: 6-7 - WT: 225 - WING: 6-9 1/2 - FROM: Michigan St.
Bridges has been the best athlete on the floor for just about every game of his career so far but when he gets to the NBA that'll change and he'll have to expand his game if he wants to be a high level player. Expect him to be an energy guy off the bench who could develop into a starter in time.
Justise Winslow

19 Anfernee Simons SG HT: 6-3 1/4 - WT: 177 - WING: 6-9 1/4 - FM: Altamonte Sp., FL
Boom or bust. Simons has the shooting ability and quick twitch athleticism to make plays in the League but he's obviously very inexperienced at high levels of competition. If he can improve his PG skills he could end up a steal in the late first round.
D'Angelo

20 Jalen Brunson PG HT: 6-2 - WT: 195 - WING: 6-4 - FROM: Villanova
Brunson might not be a sexy pick but when we look back at this draft in 10 years he'll probably have outplayed many of the high upside type of prospects that get picked ahead of him.
Andre Miller

21 Robert Williams PF HT: 6-9 - WT: 240 - WING: 7-4 - FROM: Texas A&M
Robert Williams will be good at what he's good at (rebounding and blocking shots) but the rest of his game is limited and, depending on where he lands, it could be a while before he earns the minutes to a have a major impact. If he can prove that he can guard in space and show better overall awareness he's got solid starter potential down the line.
Antonio Davis, Chris Wilcox

22 Melvin Frazier SF HT: 6-6 - WT: 200 - WING: 7-1 3/4 - FROM: Tulane
Casual fans underrate defense and team play but scouts and GMs know how valuable those things are. Frazier looks like a guy who can contribute early in his career and could develop into a nice complimentary piece, especially if his three point shooting is for real.
Ronnie Brewer

23 Dzanan Musa SF HT: 6-9 - WT: 195 - WING: 6-8 - FROM: Bosnia
Musa is young and is a natural born scorer but he lacks length and top end athleticism. He'll likely be a few years away from hitting his stride in the League but could eventually be a microwave type of player off the bench or develop into a solid starter.
Gordon Hayward, Sam Dekker

24 Chandler Hutchison SF HT: 6-7 - WT: 195 - WING: 7-1 - FROM: Boise State
Like Frazier, Hutchison can D it up and defend multiple positions while showing the ability to hit the three. His open court ability is impressive and he's shown improved ball handling ability.
Devean George

25 Donte DiVincenzo SG HT: 6-5 - WT: 205 - WING: 6-6 - FROM: Villanova
Donte is known as a lights out shooter but he's also a big time athlete with explosvie leaping ability. He should be able to come in and contribute right away with his scoring ability and ability to guard multiple positions.
Courtney Lee

26 Jacob Evans   SG HT: 6-6 - WT: 210 - WING: NA - FROM: Cincinnati
A big guard who is very young for his class, Evans is rock solid in all aspects but doesn't have one standout skill. His feel for the game and ability to defend a few positions should lead to a long career but it remains to be seen if he develops into a high level starter.
Eric Gordon

27 Trevon Duval PG HT: 6-2 1/2 - WT: 186 - WING: 6-8 1/4 - FROM: Duke
Duval finished strong in his one season at Duke and is on a good trajectory. He's got the top end speed and athleticism, to go along with great length but his outside shot could keep him from becoming a high level starter. Still, there's upside here.
Jay Williams

28 Troy Brown SG HT: 6-6 3/4 - WT: 215 - WING: 6-10 - FROM: Oregon
While some draftniks are enamored with Troy Brown, he projects as a role player at the next level who could develop into a starter down the line. He's got size but doesn't have great speed and so his success or lack of success will come down to his three point shooting, BBIQ and possibly the situation he lands in.
Morris Peterson

29 Moritz Wagner PF HT: 6-11 1/2 - WT: 235 - WING: 7-0 - FROM: Michigan
Bigs who can shoot have a lot of value. Wagner might not be the next Lauri, let alone Dirk, but if he puts together a career like Ersan Ilyasova he could be a steal in the late first to mid second.
Ersan Ilyasova

30 Keita Bates-Diop SF HT: 6-8 1/2 - WT: 223 - WING: 7-3 - FROM: Ohio State
KBD is a solid fit in today's NBA with his versatile game and ability to play small-ball PF or C. He's probably a guy who comes off the bench most of his career but when you get to the late first or early second round, all you're looking for is a solid contributor and Bates-Diop has the potential to stick around and have a solid career.
James Posey

Edited to try it make it more readable

Last edited by kdp59 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm

kdp59 wrote:Adam Zagoria: Celtics President Danny Ainge took @NovaMBB ‘s Donte DiVincenzo to lunch after their workout this week, source says. Celts pick at No. 27 and are in the hunt for a 2nd-rounder also. pic.twitter.com/OedEkZnOLy – via Twitter AdamZagoria
Danny Ainge, Draft, Donte DiVincenzo, Boston Celtics

I like this kid he has a scrappy side

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I've been touting Donte since Nova won the NCCA tourney. I really like this kid. I also like Moritz Wagner. Both had displayed skill, very aggressive attitudes, and high motors in the Finl Four.

Last edited by worcester on Wed May 23, 2018 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm

If Boston were to take DiVincenzo, they would be getting an excellent guard prospect with good size and fundamentals. He can shoot. Even as a probable late 1st/early 2nd, I think he could see some steady minutes as a rookie with many NBA teams.

Should they get someone like this at #27, I would also expect that to mean Smart or Rozier are almost certain to be departing.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 23, 2018 1:06 pm

NYCelt 

He is a shooting guard which we could really use to Backup Jaylen.  Not sure how that impacts the roster but I do not think he replaces any rotation guys but may be a solid upgrade on the 15 man roster. 

This team is still missing a legit shot blocker so I think that is the missing piece.  Danny has enough picks and over-lapping assets to become a player in this years' draft.  

I think this is a very deep draft when a player like Donte could be available at 27.  

Lets see what Danny decides to do.  You can never have too many shooters on your team.  Donte can shoot the rock, is tough as nails and he is very athletic.  Sounds like a good fit to me.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed May 23, 2018 1:08 pm

But he will probably go before #27.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 pm

There is talent  at 27.

Danny will need to find that diamond in the rough.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm

McCoy or Metu at 27.  

I think I'll make that my mantra.

Bolster the rebounding.

At least one or the other could and should be available.

DiVincenzo if anticipating replacing a guard/wing, and willing to part with a player and pick to trade up a few spots, but not willing to trade enough for one of the top bigs. Subject to his not returning to 'Nova, of course.

Grayson Allen or Gary Trent, Jr., if guards/wings might be traded, 27 is retained, and you need to replace a shooter/scorer.

If keeping 27, anticipating trades, and need a PG; Melton or Brunson.

Upset special, and we're not getting him; Mo Bamba goes #1 ahead of Ayton. Several reports coming out of the combine say Bamba absolutely killed it with his defense and his intellect. Saw a couple of reports that he blew GMs away in interviews, in part with his in-depth scouting reports on NBA teams and his likely opponents. If you're betting (it might be legal in several states soon!) and can afford to part with some cash, this might be the home run swing to risk it on.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 24, 2018 1:24 pm

If Danny is looking for a big to replace Monroe (who I feel simply does not fit in our system) then I would rather he look at a cheap FA

Players Like Dedmon and Noel might be a better fit for the MLE next season. or eve Okafor on a minimum wage deal, especially if we need use the MLE to resign Baynes ( I am not sure we have his bird rights).

then Danny can use #27 on BPA totally.

lost of ways to go then.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm

kdp59 wrote:If Danny is looking for a big to replace Monroe (who I feel simply does not fit in our system) then I would rather he look at a cheap FA

Players Like Dedmon and Noel might be a better fit for the MLE next season. or eve Okafor on a minimum wage deal, especially if we need use the MLE to resign Baynes ( I am not sure we have his bird rights).

then Danny can use #27 on BPA totally.

lost of ways to go then.

That's kinda funny. I just posted a pick one of four on the Baynes thread and included Baynes, Monroe, Okafor and Noel. I didn't include Dedmon because I don't know who he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri May 25, 2018 3:33 pm

There are always a lot of unknowns in the draft.

This year I think the biggest unknown is Michael Porter.  His back issue (had surgery) is a big red flag.  If he was projected to go in the middle of the pack taking a flyer makes sense provided you understand that he may not be able to play.  But most mock draft boards have Porter going between 5-7.  

Unless you are a team like Philly you cannot afford to blow a pick that high.

The Celtics traded away the last Nets pick to Cleveland and although it will be pick # 8, the Celtics would have had a better opportunity to trade up.

Horford Turns 32 in June and Baynes will be 32 in December.  The Celtics have a wonderful collections of guards and guys that can play the wing but they are going to need to address their long term needs at center.  

I know we discussed this multiple times and here we are still in contention in the playoffs but that does not eliminate the need,  it only masks the inevitable.

My trade and/or draft ideas are not worth much.  They are just a collection of unintended thoughts that have little chance at becoming true.  But I just cannot help myself.

So here we go.  The best opportunity to draft a center prospect is probably this year.  The Sacto pick next year does not help us.  Therefore that pick should be shopped to move up in the draft this year.

Of all the proposals I have read, kdp59 seems to make the most sense.  Orlando has the 6th pick in the draft and they need a point guard more than they need a center. Now that Payton is gone it leaves a big whole to fill that position.  DJ Augustine and Sheldon Mack are backup quality point guards.

Orlando is one of the few teams with enough Cap space to nab a free agent but the best available PG in free agency is IT.  If they drafted a PG that high they would probably be looking at Young or Sexton.  I was super high on young until I watched the Cincinnati game where Young was thrown around the court like a ragdoll.  Sexton has some PG and would also be an option for them but he does not appear to be a can't miss PG.

This brings me to trading Rozier to Orlando for the 6th pick in the draft.  They would want a draft pick as well so bye bye Memphis or Sacramento pick.  This scenario only works if you know for sure that Bamba or Jackson will be there at #6 and you keep # 27 and draft a PG like Brunson ( my favorite would be Aaron Holiday- likely gone by then)  Rozier is a starting PG that can play on both ends of the court.  In a guard and wing dominated game his value along with a first round pick should give Boston an opportunity to move up in the draft.

The other possibility that blows my theory out of the water is that Orlando actually wants to draft a young center.  They have big money invested in Bismack Biyombo but Nikola Vucevic only has a year left on his contract.  

As you can see there are so many variables to consider and I have only been able to scratch the surface.

This is what I do to pass the time while waiting for the Celtics to tip off tonight.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am

my updated combined draft rankings;

I use draftnet, draftroom and Sports illustrated 2 round mock drafts. All updated this week.

A player must be in 2 out of the three mocks to make this list. this is an ranking of where they are mocked.

Rank---Pos-------Player------------Hgt----Wgt---------School
1-------C-----DeAndre Ayton------7-0----260--------Arizona
2-------PF-----Marvin Bagley------6-11---235--------Duke
3-------PF-----Jaren Jackson Jr----6-11---240-------Michigan St
4----SG/SF-----Luka Doncic--------6-7----220--------Int
5-------C------Mohamed Bamba----7-0 ---220--------Texas
6------SF-------Michael Porter-----6-10----215-------Missouri
7-----PF/C------Wendell Carter----6-10----260-------Duke
8------PG--------Trae Young---------6-2----180------Oklahoma
9----SG/SF-----Mikal Bridges-------6-7-----210------Villanova
10-----PG--------Colin Sexton------6-2-----185------Alabama
11----SF/PF------Kevin Knox--------6-9-----215-----Kentucky
12----SF/PF------Miles Bridges------6-7-----230-----Michigan St
13-----PG----Shai Gilgeous- Alexander--6-6---180---Kentucky
14-----SG---------Lonnie Walker-----6-4-----200-----Miami
15----PF/C-------Robert Williams-----6-9----240-----Texas A&M
16-----SG---------Zhaire Smith-------6-5----195-----Texas Tech
17---PG/SG------Anfernee Simons----6-3----180-----None
18----PF/C--------Jontay Porter-------6-11---240-----Missouri
19-----C--------Mitchell Robinson -----7-1----225-----None
20---PG/SG--------Troy Brown---------6-7----215-----Oregon
21---SG/SF-----Chandler Hutchison---6-7----200-----Boise St
22-----SG-------Donte DiVincenzo-----6-4----205-----Villanova
23-----SG----------Kevin Huerter------6-7----190-----Maryland
24-----PG-----------Jalen Brunson-----6-2----190-----Villanova
25---PG/SG---------Khyri Thomas-----6-3----210-----Creighton
26------SF----------Dzanan Musa------6-9----195-----Int
27------PG----------Elie Okobo---------6-2----180 ----Int
28------PG----------Aaron Holiday------6-1---185-----UCLA
29------SG----------Gary Trent Jr-------6-6---215-----Duke
30------SF----------Keita Bates-Diop---6-7---235-----Ohio St

31---PG/SG-------Jerome Robinson----6-5---190-----Boston Col
32---SG/SF---------Melvin Frazier------6-5---200-----Tulane
33---PF/C---------Omari Spellman-----6-9---260-----Villanova
34----SG-------------Jacob Evans------6-6---210-----Cincinnati
35---PG/SG-------De'Anthony Melton---6-3---195----USC
36-----PG------------Trevon Duval------6-2---190-----Duke
37---PG/SG---------Landry Shamet-----6-4---190----Wichita St
38---SG/SF-----------Josh Okogie------6-4----215----Georgia Tech
39---PF/C------------Moritz Wagner----6-11---235----Michigan
40-----SG------------Bruce Brown------6-5----200----Miami
41-----SG------------Grayson Allen-----6-5---210-----Duke
42-----PG------------Jevon Carter-------6-2---205----W. Virginia
43------SF-----------Rodions Kurucs----6-8----220-----Int
44------PG------------Tony Carr---------6-5----200-----Penn St
45-----SF------------Kevin Hervey-----6-8----230------Texas
46----PG-----------Devonte Graham---6-2----195-----Kansas
47-----PF----------Chimezie Metu-----6-10----225-----USC
48-----SF------------Isaac Bonga-------6-9----200-----Int
49-----SG-----------Rawle Aikins-------6-4----225-----Arizona
50---PG/SG---------Shake Milton------6-6----205------SMU
51-----SG----------Hamidou Diallo-----6-5----200-----Kentucky
52-----SG--------Sviatoslav Mykhailuk--6-8----205----Kansas
53-----SF-----------Kenrich Williams----6-7----205-----TCU
54-----C------------Brandon McCoy-----7-0----255-----UNLV
55-----C------------Goga Bitadze-------6-11---250------Int
56-----SF-------Kostas Antetolounmpo---6-10---200---Dayton
57-----SF-----------Justin Jackson------6-7----235-----Maryland
58-----SG------------Tyus Battle--------6-6----235-----Syracuse

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun May 27, 2018 10:35 am

sorry,

notable movements from the previous version:

Kevin Huerter- Maryland was not in the last ranking as is now at #23.

Melvin Frazier- up 7 spots

Omari Spellman - up 9 spots

Josh Okogie - up 12

Jevon Carter - up 12

Kevin Hervey - up 12

biggest droppers:

Brandon McCoy- down 22 spots

Chimezie Metu- down 13

Jerome Robinson- down 9

Dzanan Musa- down 9

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 29, 2018 6:01 pm

I like the other Villanova prospect Omari Spellman. PF/C is an option t #27
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 29, 2018 6:04 pm

I like both Donte and Omari.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Mark Murphy
Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 1 hour ago
Ha! Celtics' draft workout is June 8. Grayson Allen still on the list.

bob
MY NOTE:That's only 1 week from tomorrow.  Yet another benefit of going deep in the playoffs is that the dead time between important events like, draft workouts and the draft, shrinks. Draft day itself is June 21st, exactly 3 weeks from today.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 31, 2018 5:46 pm

don't sleep on any Duke player...and Allen played WITH Tatum

a-hem.

oh yeah Allen also played with Okafor , see how things come together?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

kdp59 wrote:don't sleep on any Duke player...and Allen played WITH Tatum

a-hem.

oh yeah Allen also played with Okafor , see how things come together?

So, if they all come together as Celtics players, at least they will finally get to play for a great coach. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 31, 2018 8:22 pm

hehe
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
57 minutes ago
NBA releases the official list of players who have withdrawn from the early entrant list for this month’s #NBADraft. pic.twitter.com/mCovNbDGVk

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 Deo2uchUYAAr9-n?format=jpg
NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 Deo2uchUwAA6TtC?format=jpg
NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 Deo2uchV4AAstsT?format=jpg

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:30 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/4/17417810/nba-mock-draft-2018-luka-doncic-phoenix-suns-deandre-ayton-consensus

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Steve,

Interesting that 5 out of 5 project different selections for Boston.

None of whom I would guess the team actually selects.

Than again, no one is paying me for my opinion. Man, that would be nice though!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 pm

NYCelt wrote:Steve,

Interesting that 5 out of 5 project different selections for Boston.

None of whom I would guess the team actually selects.

Than again, no one is paying me for my opinion. Man, that would be nice though!

Regards

I noticed that too. And we might not even keep that 27th pick.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:00 pm

https://www.masslive.com/expo/erry-2018/06/f2640b51ad4141/boston_celtics_draft_2018_dont.html

Boston Celtics draft 2018: Donte DiVincenzo, Mo Bamba & the latest Celtics big board

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com | Posted June 05, 2018 at 09:00 AM | Updated June 05, 2018 at 09:30 AM

With the Boston Celtics' 2017-18 season officially behind us, we can (finally) turn our full attention to the 2018 NBA Draft and its fascinating collection of prospects.

For the first time since 2015, the Celtics will be without a lottery pick, earning the 27th selection with their two-seed finish in the Eastern Conference. The choices at 27 will be limited in terms of star potential, but also incredibly open given the depth at one of the Celtics' biggest positions of need off the bench.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 Af7_ap18088021921838
Rick Bowmer/AP Photo

A few notes before we get started:

1) As always, these rankings are Celtics-specific.

2) We had to have a cut-off point to keep things realistic, because yes, Deandre Ayton is probably No. 1 on the Celtics' draft board, but it's probably fair to assume he won't be available at No. 27. My completely arbitrary cut-off choice: The 20s in ESPN's latest mock draft, courtesy of the well-connected Jonathan Givony.

3) There could be some slippage from the late teens, so we are running some risks by ignoring the likes of Troy Brown, Aaron Holiday and Kevin Huerter. All three would be possibilities for the Celtics if they were still available.

4) I made a couple of edits after publishing upon further reflection because draft analysis makes you wildly doubt yourself.

5) The Celtics are reportedly interested in acquiring a second-round pick, and given how deep the first round is, it's hard to blame them. We will include a few second-round names to watch at the end as well.

5) And yes, we will briefly touch on Mo Bamba.

Let's dig in.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 02b_ap18076012799618
AP Photo

1. Khyri Thomas, Creighton
Thomas' name crops up anywhere from 15 to the mid-20s, depending on which board you prefer. Given the numbers crunch the Celtics will likely bump up against in their back-up guard rotation, Thomas' incredible on-ball defense, length and 3-point shooting could make him a much more affordable Marcus Smart/Terry Rozier replacement in the mold of Avery Bradley.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 169_ap18138768030125
Charles Rex Arbogast/AP Photo

2. Donte DiVincenzo, Villanova
We've written about DiVincenzo extensively given all the smoke around his name, but don't be surprised if he is off the board by the time the Celtics pick given his shooting and athleticism, as well as his name recognition after the NCAA tournament. If he's not, he would be an intriguing bench option for a Celtics team that could benefit from  extra shooting and big-game reps.

Jonathan Givony
✔️
@DraftExpress
Donte DiVincenzo ties Josh Okogie for the highest vertical leap at the NBA Combine thus far at 42 inches.

3:40 PM - May 17, 2018
631 people are talking about this

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 380_screenshot20180604at110836am
AP Photo

3. De'Anthony Melton, USC

De'Anthony Melton's skill set profiles a whole lot like Marcus Smart, and the Celtics certainly love Smart. Melton is a swiss-army-knife player who defends like crazy, makes "winning" plays and can facilitate for others. He might be a lot higher in the first round if scouts had been able to watch him this year at USC before an NCAA investigation ended his collegiate career.

The biggest difference between Melton and Smart? While Melton struggled to shoot in college, his mechanics look a lot better. Witness the video below.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1001215968633274369
Jonathan Givony
✔️
@DraftExpress
Out in LA watching some workouts led by @DrewHanlen today. Already saw R.J. Barrett, Mo Bamba, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Adams and others putting work in. Here's De'Anthony Melton showing his new and much improved shooting mechanics.

2:37 PM - May 28, 2018
49 people are talking about this

When Smart lands after shooting a three, his feet are twisted everywhere. Melton is squared to the hoop nicely, and he lands with his feet pointed directly at the rim. That's a major plus, and it suggests his shot may improve with time.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 548_screenshot20180604at111000am
AP Photo

4. Bruce Brown, Miami
Brown stayed for a sophomore season at Miami, which seemed like a good idea last year before the draft (he was a projected lottery pick at the start of the year), but a disastrous shooting season and a foot injury tanked his stock, and now he might very well be available to the Celtics late in the first round.

Brown -- an excellent athlete and a high-level competitor with nice feel for the game -- looks like he's fully healthy again, and he could be a late-first steal for a team willing to roll some dice.

The lesson, as always: College is bad for you.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1001901007041839106
Jonathan Givony
✔️
@DraftExpress
Miami's Bruce Brown looking back to 100% at the CAA Pro Day in Los Angeles.

11:59 AM - May 30, 2018
16 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 F42_ap18035178912738
Otto Kitsinger/AP Photo

5. Chandler Hutchison, Boise State
Reportedly, Hutchison has a promise from someone in the 20s and has stopped working out for teams. Presumably, that team will take him, but we include him this high because of his size, athleticism and versatility on both ends. The Celtics are familiar with Hutchison, and given their premium on players with his style of play, he might be a name to watch.

Jonathan Givony
✔️
@DraftExpress
Chandler Hutchison has withdrawn from the NBA Combine and canceled all workouts after receiving assurances he's found a "safe landing spot." It appears that he has secured a promise from a team drafting in the 20-30 range. Hutchison is currently slated #24 on the ESPN mock draft

2:49 PM - May 16, 2018
143 people are talking about this

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 C5d_ap18061137827190
Danny Karnik/AP Photo

6. Josh Okogie, Georgia Tech
Okogie has been rocketing up draft boards since the pre-draft process started, thanks to his excellent athleticism and size. He didn't get much buzz during the season, despite shooting 38 percent from behind the arc and showing flashes both off the catch and off the bounce. He also got to the line frequently and shot an excellent percentage (82.1 percent).

Okogie's 7-foot wingspan bodes well for his potential as a shooting guard at the NBA level, which is where the Celtics would likely play him. With his toughness and competitiveness, he should be able to defend multiple positions.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 Da7_ap17089052536081
Nam Y. Huh/AP Photo

7. Mitchell Robinson, N/A
Robinson is the wild card in all of this -- the Celtics need their center of the future, and the 20-year-old big man has elite tools. Danny Ainge might very well want to see what Brad Stevens' coaching could do with a freak athlete, long-armed seven-footer who was once one of the top prospects in his class.

But Boston could also very reasonably decide they don't want to be saddled with the risks Robinson presents. Since he left Western Kentucky unexpectedly, the only tape NBA teams have on him is high-school basketball, which is woefully insufficient, especially for a player with his build. There will be enough potential contributors who will be available at that stage that drafting Robinson might be an unnecessarily ambitious choice.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 E8b_a9fdsc0049edit
Meredith Perri / MASSLIVE

8. Anfernee Simons, N/A

Simons is an explosive, natural athlete with a nice 3-point shot and plenty of shiftiness off the dribble. He projects as a combo guard who needs to work on his body, which could make him a bit of an unnatural fit on a Celtics team hoping to compete for a championship next year.

But, as previously noted, paying all of the Celtics' guards might be a challenge, and Ainge might want to have replacements in place. Simons has high untapped potential, which is rare at this stage in the draft. The Celtics scouted him at IMG this past year, and if they liked what they saw, he would have a chance to develop some really good habits in their system.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 7a0_screenshot20180604at111130am
AP Photo

9. Jacob Evans, Cincinnati
A prototypical 3-and-D wing at the NBA level, Evans isn't an elite athlete, and his versatility may be somewhat limited as a result (which is why he's down here). But his 41-percent 3-point shooting -- which looked good both off the catch and off the dribble this season -- will certainly draw some eyes.

10. Elie Okobo, France
Another late-rising guard, Okobo is a good athlete and an excellent scorer out of the pick-and-roll. Playing in the top French league, Okobo shot 38 percent from deep and averaged over 20 points per 40 minutes, including an enormous 44-point explosion late in the year. If teams are convinced by his finishing around the rim, he might not be available by 27, but he adds to the lead/combo guard depth in the first round.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 9b3_ap18077036588384
Otto Kitsinger/AP Photo

11. Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State
Bates-Diop could be a really good role player at the NBA level with his versatility, length, shooting and size, but it's difficult to see him carving out minutes alongside Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum (as well as Semi Ojeleye and others in the second unit). Still, if the Celtics want to further shore up their wing/forward rotation, Bates-Diop would be a nice addition. He's a good scorer, and after three years at Ohio State, he should be ready to contribute.

12. Dzanan Musa, Bosnia
Like Bates-Diop, Musa doesn't seem like a good fit on the Celtics' roster, unless they expect to lose members of their wing rotation (Marcus Morris is an example). But at 6-foot-9 with nice length, Musa is an excellent, completely conscience-free shooter with good scoring instincts and plenty of room to grow.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 D3d_ap18045193178799
Keith Srakocic/AP Photo

13. Jerome Robinson, Boston College
Confession: I don't have a good feel for Robinson. He helped Boston College pull off a stunning victory over Duke in December with his 3-point shooting and shot 40 percent from behind the arc this season. He can do it both off the catch and off the dribble, and he can play-make a bit for teammates as well, adding him to the long list of solid combo guards. But he's not an elite athlete, and that might limit him defensively at the NBA level, especially against NBA guards, which can be damaging.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 770_ap18137777602305
AP Photo

14. Jalen Brunson, Villanova
Even after leading Villanova to the NCAA title, Brunson has slipped into the second round in a lot of mock drafts -- he doesn't have elite size or athleticism for the NBA level.

What he does have is an incredibly high IQ and a good sense of how to use his body and skill set, which should translate. Brunson isn't likely to be an NBA superstar, but he should have a reasonably long, productive NBA career off the bench. If the Celtics aren't swinging for the fences, Brunson could be a nice single/double type of selection late in the first round.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 F9b_ap18138704432118
Charles Rex Arbogast/AP Photo

15. Gary Trent Jr., Duke
Trent Jr. was the No. 8 prospect in his high-school class, and he shot over 40 percent from three with good athleticism. If you don't trust Duke's tape to be a reliable indicator of how good a player will be on either end at the NBA level (and Jayson Tatum is proof that Duke doesn't always showcase a player's talent properly), Trent might be an interesting pick.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 787_ap18093123514753
Brynn Anderson/AP Photo

Second-Round Options

The Celtics traded a highly-protected second-round pick for Perry Jones III in 2015 which actually managed to convey this year, robbing Boston of a late-second option. If the Celtics manage to come up with a second-round pick via trade, here are a few of their options.

Omari Spellman, Villanova - Spellman dropped a ton of weight since his high-school days, and he's a very reliable 3-point shooter. He has the potential to be a versatile five at the NBA level.

Rawle Alkins, Arizona - Versatile, athletic and competitive, Alkins has a lot of the qualities the Celtics seem to value in combo guards.

Grayson Allen, Duke - A lot of Celtics fans don't want to hear his name, but Allen measured extremely well at the combine -- particularly as a leaper -- and he might be able to contribute quickly, given his age and experience.

Jarred Vanderbilt, Kentucky - Vanderbilt could be a productive combo forward if he can stay healthy, with defensive switchability and play-making potential. If he improves his shot, his NBA potential rises immensely.

NBA 2018 Draft - Page 4 9fe_ap18032191398625
Brad Tollefson/AP Photo

The Mo Bamba question

We promised it, so let's talk about it.

Texas star Mohamed Bamba was interviewed by the Celtics in the pre-draft process, and he's an impressive talent. His 7-foot-10 wingspan would immediately be among the longest in the league, and his jumper -- sculpted by trainer Drew Hanlen -- no longer leaves his hand like a catapult, but rather in a smooth motion that bodes well for NBA distance.

The chances of the Celtics drafting Bamba are minimal -- pre-draft interviews don't mean much in terms of concrete plans. Trading Jaylen Brown would be a silly, unnecessary risk for a team that never takes silly, unnecessary risks, particularly around the draft.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/989187209117958144
Jonathan Givony
✔️
@DraftExpress
Mo Bamba is working out with @DrewHanlen in LA and appears to have made some adjustments to his shooting mechanics. Here he is knocking down 9 3-pointers in a row. Pretty impressive stuff from a 7-footer with a 7'9 wingspan. Can't wait to get out there and it in person.

9:59 AM - Apr 25, 2018
298 people are talking about this

So here's the question: Would a team bite on a potential package of Terry Rozier plus picks? Would Rozier plus the Kings pick plus the Memphis pick get the job done? Would the Celtics be willing to make a move like that?

It's difficult to say. From the Celtics' perspective, it's foggy: A young big like Bamba could complete their rebuild both for the present and the future, setting them up with a core of Brown, Tatum and Bamba three years down the line, but trading those picks would damage their flexibility if anything went wrong (or if Anthony Davis somehow became available).

From everyone else's perspective, it's equally foggy. Rozier is a future starter at point guard, and he might be willing to take a qualifying offer and leave for a bigger role elsewhere if he doesn't end up in a good situation. Dallas just drafted Dennis Smith Jr. and reportedly isn't interested anyway. Memphis gave Mike Conley a massive contract. The Hawks are going to want more immediate results than Rozier and future picks (even though additional draft assets might work out nicely for them). The Magic might be willing to deal, but Bamba would likely be off the table by No. 6.

Given the pick protections Boston secured on what would have been the Lakers pick, it seems pretty clear they were hoping for a big in this year's draft class, so don't completely rule out a big deal. The most likely outcome, however, remains a relatively quiet draft night before a fascinating summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:12 pm

My thoughts on the draft for the Cs is that Ainge will certainly be talking to lots of teams. He will put together a couple of thoughts such as Rozier and a couple of the first round picks to see what he may be able to get back.

He could expand up to a couple of his players and picks heading out, but I really don't think that he will go kind of crazy like he did last summer and end up having such a huge roster turnover.

He has two all star level players already on his roster that should be back by the start of next year and does not have to give anything for either one.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next