]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery

+2
k_j_88
6 posters

Go down

]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery Empty ]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery

NESN by Dakota Randall on Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:36AM  

If Danny Ainge is to be taken at his word, it seems as unlikely as ever that Gordon Hayward returns for the Boston Celtics this season. The C’s president of basketball operations provided a grim update on Hayward’s recovery during an appearance on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher & Rich” on Monday.

In addition to doubling down on his assertion that Hayward won’t play again this season, Ainge revealed the Celtics forward recently suffered a setback in his recovery. Here’s what Ainge had to say, per WBZ NewsRadio’s Adam Kaufman: Well, that’s not good.

Now, Ainge’s comments — at least in tone — seem to differ from ones recently made by Hayward, who said “the hope is still there” for a return to game action either before or during the NBA Playoffs. Still, perhaps it’s time we start believing Ainge and Celtics head coach Brad Stevens when they say Hayward is done. And with just 14 games remaining in the regular season, as well as a rash of injuries that have thrown their NBA Finals hopes further in doubt, the Celtics might want to play things extra safe with Hayward.

Back to top Go down

]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery Empty Re: ]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery

Post by k_j_88 Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:27 pm

I never thought for a second he'd be ready to play again this season. Too much to ask out someone that suffered such a catastrophic injury.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery Empty Re: ]Danny Ainge Reveals Gordon Hayward Recently Suffered Setback In Recovery

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:37 pm

I wish I knew what a " setback " means.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 pm

SET BACK = NOT HEALING CORRECTLY

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:48 am

I knew that much. Phrased it poorly. I was looking for the specific nature of the setback. That`s a pretty broad term
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celtics_insider/2018/03/ainge_says_he_erred_on_hayward_setback_comment

Ainge says he erred on Hayward 'setback' comment

Steve Bulpett Sunday, March 18, 2018

NEW ORLEANS -- Reports of Gordon Hayward's setback may have been greatly exaggerated. This according to the self-confessed exaggerator, who says now he was mistaken in his choice of words.

Though some, including Hayward, are still holding out some measure of hope that he could return this season from the horrific ankle fracture he suffered in the season's first game, Danny Ainge appeared to douse that flickering candle in his weekly radio appearance on The Sports Hub.

The outlook for Hayward seemed to change dramatically when the Celtics' president of basketball operations revealed the prized free agent signee had hit a pothole on his road to recovery.

"He had like one setback for a couple of weeks, maybe a month and a half ago," said Ainge. "We were progressing a little bit too fast, we thought."

The comment was big news, but Ainge told the Herald it was a little specious, if not fake.

"You know what? Sometimes I talk too much," said Ainge. "'Setback' wasn't the right word, so let me rephrase that because it's not exactly true to say it -- or say it that way.

"What happened is he went on the AlterG [anti-gravity treadmill] the first day and he felt some soreness. It was the first day he tried the AlterG, a long time ago. He just wasn't ready for it at that point. That's all it was.

"So I think 'setback' is the wrong way to put it. I mis-phrased that. I'm not sure what the right word is, but he wasn't ready for that. So we waited a couple of weeks before we started that again, and since we started that again it's been great and he's progressed along on the AlterG. That's all. It wasn't like he had an accident or anything like that.

"I used the word 'setback,' and it became a headline. Like, 'Oh, setback.' It got blown out of proportion. It's my fault. I'm not blaming anybody. 'Setback' was probably too strong of a word."

The Celtic position from the start has been to not expect Hayward to play again this season. The surgery revealed no greater issues, which left open the possibility, but people can heal differently, and the club didn’t want expectations hanging over his head as he tried to thread the rehabilitation needle to return.

"The bottom line is he's not on the court other than shooting and ballhandling and some sidestepping," Ainge told the Herald. "But he hasn’t done any running or even jogging or real jumping on the basketball court yet, and we have less than a month left in the regular season.

"It just doesn’t seem likely, so I don't want to put any pressure on him. Gordon can say whatever he wants, but we are not planning on him playing this year. I don't see that happening; that's why I keep saying that."

X X X

Kyrie Irving was hoping to play on this trip, but he and the Celts decided it was best to sit him out another game to deal with the soreness in his left knee.

"I think he feels better and better," said coach Brad Stevens before taking on the Pelicans. "He just doesn’t quite feel 100 percent, so until that point, he'll be out. There was a chance that he would play today, but [Saturday] he just didn’t quite feel that. And, again, we're going to make sure that he feels that way."

As for the question of regret or value of having Irving make the trip to Orlando and here, Stevens said, "You know, every meeting is important, every walkthrough, every film session. I'm sure that you take something from it. You’d rather have all your guys on the road, but sometimes because of the opportunity for rehab in our facilities that we have and our equipment that we have, we leave them back. But for the for the most part he can do everything he needs to do on the road, so it certainly doesn’t hurt to have him here as far as picking things up."

X X X

Jaylen Brown is still on track for making the trip west with the Celtics later this week, but for now he remains in the NBA's concussion protocol.

"He's doing good through his progressions so far," Stevens said. "Still has a few days left. Don't see how he'll play Tuesday [in Boston against Oklahoma City] either, but from everything I've heard, we're getting closer. But that's all pending no setback." ...

Former Celtic Rajon Rondo said he hopes to get past the drama rekindled with the publication of Ray Allen's book. The issues between those two -- and among that whole group from the 2007 to 2012 Celts -- got another airing in the book.

"I'll probably give him a call sooner or later," Rondo said before tipoff. ...

The Celtics activated two-way contract player Jabari Bird. The 6-foot-6 guard has been out dealing with a back problem. He's gotten into four games in his rookie year, playing a total of 22 minutes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celtics_insider/2018/03/ainge_says_he_erred_on_hayward_setback_comment

Ainge says he erred on Hayward 'setback' comment

Steve Bulpett Sunday, March 18, 2018

NEW ORLEANS -- Reports of Gordon Hayward's setback may have been greatly exaggerated. This according to the self-confessed exaggerator, who says now he was mistaken in his choice of words.

Though some, including Hayward, are still holding out some measure of hope that he could return this season from the horrific ankle fracture he suffered in the season's first game, Danny Ainge appeared to douse that flickering candle in his weekly radio appearance on The Sports Hub.

The outlook for Hayward seemed to change dramatically when the Celtics' president of basketball operations revealed the prized free agent signee had hit a pothole on his road to recovery.

"He had like one setback for a couple of weeks, maybe a month and a half ago," said Ainge. "We were progressing a little bit too fast, we thought."

The comment was big news, but Ainge told the Herald it was a little specious, if not fake.

"You know what? Sometimes I talk too much," said Ainge. "'Setback' wasn't the right word, so let me rephrase that because it's not exactly true to say it -- or say it that way.

"What happened is he went on the AlterG [anti-gravity treadmill] the first day and he felt some soreness. It was the first day he tried the AlterG, a long time ago. He just wasn't ready for it at that point. That's all it was.

"So I think 'setback' is the wrong way to put it. I mis-phrased that. I'm not sure what the right word is, but he wasn't ready for that. So we waited a couple of weeks before we started that again, and since we started that again it's been great and he's progressed along on the AlterG. That's all. It wasn't like he had an accident or anything like that.

"I used the word 'setback,' and it became a headline. Like, 'Oh, setback.' It got blown out of proportion. It's my fault. I'm not blaming anybody. 'Setback' was probably too strong of a word."

The Celtic position from the start has been to not expect Hayward to play again this season. The surgery revealed no greater issues, which left open the possibility, but people can heal differently, and the club didn’t want expectations hanging over his head as he tried to thread the rehabilitation needle to return.

"The bottom line is he's not on the court other than shooting and ballhandling and some sidestepping," Ainge told the Herald. "But he hasn’t done any running or even jogging or real jumping on the basketball court yet, and we have less than a month left in the regular season.

"It just doesn’t seem likely, so I don't want to put any pressure on him. Gordon can say whatever he wants, but we are not planning on him playing this year. I don't see that happening; that's why I keep saying that."

X X X

Kyrie Irving was hoping to play on this trip, but he and the Celts decided it was best to sit him out another game to deal with the soreness in his left knee.

"I think he feels better and better," said coach Brad Stevens before taking on the Pelicans. "He just doesn’t quite feel 100 percent, so until that point, he'll be out. There was a chance that he would play today, but [Saturday] he just didn’t quite feel that. And, again, we're going to make sure that he feels that way."

As for the question of regret or value of having Irving make the trip to Orlando and here, Stevens said, "You know, every meeting is important, every walkthrough, every film session. I'm sure that you take something from it. You’d rather have all your guys on the road, but sometimes because of the opportunity for rehab in our facilities that we have and our equipment that we have, we leave them back. But for the for the most part he can do everything he needs to do on the road, so it certainly doesn’t hurt to have him here as far as picking things up."

X X X

Jaylen Brown is still on track for making the trip west with the Celtics later this week, but for now he remains in the NBA's concussion protocol.

"He's doing good through his progressions so far," Stevens said. "Still has a few days left. Don't see how he'll play Tuesday [in Boston against Oklahoma City] either, but from everything I've heard, we're getting closer. But that's all pending no setback." ...

Former Celtic Rajon Rondo said he hopes to get past the drama rekindled with the publication of Ray Allen's book. The issues between those two -- and among that whole group from the 2007 to 2012 Celts -- got another airing in the book.

"I'll probably give him a call sooner or later," Rondo said before tipoff. ...

The Celtics activated two-way contract player Jabari Bird. The 6-foot-6 guard has been out dealing with a back problem. He's gotten into four games in his rookie year, playing a total of 22 minutes.

bob

Thanks, Bob. Much clearer now. I was wondering how he could have suffered a major setback with no public acknowledgement.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:48 am

https://nesn.com/2018/03/gordon-hayward-discusses-where-hes-at-in-injury-rehab-what-next-steps-are/

Gordon Hayward Discusses Where He’s At In Injury Rehab, What Next Steps Are

by Logan Mullen on Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 7:39PM

Gordon Hayward’s rehab is progressing well.

The Boston Celtics forward is rehabbing a gruesome ankle/leg injury sustained during the first game of the regular season. And since the injury took place, C’s fans have waited with bated breath for the next update on his progression.

Hayward took part in a Celtics.com film study, and before the study began the 27-year-old shed a little light on where he’s at in his recovery, and what the next steps in his progression will be. Though he didn’t share too much, it still provides some intriguing insight.

“Rehab is going well, still progressing on the AlterG (anti-gravity treadmill), trying to get where I can run on a regular treadmill, so 100 percent bodyweight,” Hayward said. “Next step after that will be jumping and then hopefully I can incorporate some of that — the running and jumping on the treadmill — to running and jumping on the basketball court, so that’s where I’m at.”

Certainly a promising update.

While there long has been hope that Hayward could return at some point this season, it continues to appear to be unlikely. However, the fact that he continues to progress well in what is a tedious and challenging rehab certainly bodes well for his future.

bob
MY NOTE: Not BIG news, but it reinforces what Danny is saying now about "overspeaking" Hayward's "rehab setback". Full weight is a big step. Not big enough to foresee playing soon but big enough to expect him to start working on the muscles in his legs more like he's used to. I still say "don't bring him back this year", but good news still deserves to be reported.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:20 pm

From the sounds of it, if he can be ready at the start of next season that would be great. I wouldn't be too surprised if he's ready a little later, like January. Obviously no possible way he could play this year if he can't even run normally yet. It sounds like he's working hard and taking it at the proper pace. It's not easy, especially when you're eager to return.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm

I just watched an interview with Hayward himself. He has moved on from the alter-g machine, and is able to run on a treadmill. Next step is jumping while on the treadmill which will lead to getting on the floor and doing it there. He seemed up beat and enthusiastic that his rehab is moving along. No hesitation there
I am in no way saying he is getting ready to return to the floor, by any means. But ready to work toward next year, definitely.
I cannot wait.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down