Pumpsie Green
dboss
fierce
RosalieTCeltics
beat
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Irving out for the rest of the season. Empty Irving out for the rest of the season.

Post by beat Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 pm

there goes any deep playoff run.....

Looking to next Year now

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/4/5/17202844/kyrie-irving-injury-playoffs-back-knee-surgery

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Irving out for the rest of the season. Empty Re: Irving out for the rest of the season.

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:07 pm

That does that! We won't make it out of first round.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Irving out for the rest of the season. Empty Re: Irving out for the rest of the season.

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:24 pm

NBA Rumors: Celtics’ Kyrie Irving Ruled Out For Remainder Of Season

NESN by Joshua Schrock on Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 1:05PM

The news that Boston Celtics fans had feared reportedly has come to pass. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Thursday, citing sources, that star point guard Kyrie Irving will miss the remainder of the season following surgery on his knee to remove a tension wire. Irving had the procedure done on March 24 and initially was expected to miss between three and six weeks. While the surgery reportedly was “minimally invasive,” there always was a chance that the 26-year-old would not return to the court until the 2018 season. The Celtics are all but locked into the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference, but they could have a difficult time advancing in the playoffs without Irving to carry the scoring load. A season that started with a ton of promise for the Celtics has concluded with Irving and Gordon Hayward playing a combined 60 games in their first season in Boston. The C’s will rely on Terry Rozier to man the starting point guard role in Irving’s absence.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:35 pm

What a year it has been, I have enjoyed all of it. The basketball Gods sure are making us pay for all our success over the years.

Just think, Gordon and Kyrie back next year on the court. I can't wait. Brown and Tatum one year older, one year better. Al? I hope rejuvenated, this has been a rough time.

They looked like a tired team last night, this will knock the hell right out of them. No need to worry about Smart coming back, his year is over too.

Well, we still have some basketball ahead of us. Let's just enjoy what we have and look forward.

Thank you Kyrie, you made us smile alot this year
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Too bad.

I really believed the Celts would be in the east finals this year.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:39 pm

Sorry, I never bought into the talk that he would return this year. I still think the medical staff & the Celtics are being somewhat evasive about what is really going on with Irving's knee.

What started out as minimally invasive surgery could have expanded into something greater in magnitude once they went in to have a look.

Irving could also be the decision maker on this as well. Next year he is playing for probably his last BIG CONTRACT, so why risk a setback and possible down time next season which will affect the amount of money he could make.

Follow the money and you shall discover the truth!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Why is this his LAST big contract? He is 26 years old. I refuse to believe there is a conspiracy theory here. Why should we be told EVERYTHING, this is his medical information, not ours.

Let's not jump ahead here. I am willing to wait for it all to play out

A smart woman always said...IT IS WHAT IT IS. That woman was my Mom. I will go by what she said time after time
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Rosalie
He is 26 at the end of next year 27. If he signs for 5 years max money, the next contract would put him at 33 years old. No one will give him a max deal for another 5 years at that age. By then he will have had a lot of miles on his body and as a point guard and then some.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Too bad.

Terry Rozier's value just went up again!

I expect them to still make it out of the first round.

Next season hopefully both Irving and Hayward will be ready to go. I am sure all the pundits will have them going down hard and fast.

I am rolling with these guys until the last buzzer goes off
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks Dboss, I am glad I am not alone here.

This is a shame. I can imagine how bad he feels about this, but then look at how hard it has been for Hayward. Too phenomenal athletes having to deal with this kind of heartache at this time in their career. They are both fighters. I can't wait!!! Will be a long summer for me, I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to the Celtics
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:20 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Thanks Dboss, I am glad I am not alone here.  

This is a shame. I can imagine how bad he feels about this, but then look at how hard it has been for Hayward.  Too phenomenal athletes having to deal with this kind of heartache at this time in their career. They are both fighters. I can't wait!!!  Will be a long summer for me, I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to the Celtics

Rosalie I feel you. This has been a really great season for Boston. I hate when they lose but I still come away with a strong belief that they will win the next time or the time after that. The current team is in the early Spring of development. We have been treated to some fantastic basketball and I have been truly amazed by how quickly all these young kids have developed.

One thing I have learned is that you can never have too many players at the same position.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 pm

112288 wrote:Sorry,  I never bought into the talk that he would return this year.  I still think the medical staff & the Celtics are being somewhat evasive about what is really going on with Irving's knee.

What started out as minimally invasive surgery could have expanded into something greater in magnitude once they went in to have a look.

Irving could also be the decision maker on this as well.  Next year he is playing for probably his last BIG CONTRACT, so why risk a setback and possible down time next season which will affect the amount of money he could make.

Follow the money and you shall discover the truth!

I think the Celtics were being pretty forthright about Irving's potential return. Then he got an infection in his knee. Thats not predictable. Its too bad. Toronto and a healthy Celtics team would have been a great matchup.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:31 pm

If we learned anything from the IT debacle it is to treat injuries properly now, or risk long term issues and recurrence.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm

This is a darn shame, but getting most of the roster back next year and having Haywood back, plus the youngsters with another year under the belt, bodes well for the future.  I’m sure Brad will make the rest of this season competitive somehow.

Interesting that this season we have had a very large number of injuries, and last off-season completely overhauled the training and medical staff.  Just a coincidence???

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm

bobc33 wrote:This is a darn shame, but getting most of the roster back next year and having Haywood back, plus the youngsters with another year under the belt, bodes well for the future.  I’m sure somehow Brad will make the rest of this season competitive somehow.

Interesting that this season we have had a very large number of injuries, and last off-season completely overhauled the training and medical staff.  Just a coincidence???

Irving's condition was known before he arrived-they knew he had knee issues. Hayward's injury was a freak occurrence. Theis...maybe. Which injuries do you think might be training related? I don't see many....
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 pm

No BobC, not a coincidence. Something happened last year that we will never know with regard to IT. He has made a slight reference to it in his comments. However, he was the master of his own ship there. He sought opinions from doctors in New York and then back home in Washington. Someone was not telling him what he wanted to hear and so he dodged the surgery, to his own demise.

The fact that they let go of Ed Lacerte was a shocker. He had been with the team for thirty years plus, and the trainer for the Olympic team. Brian Doo had a business on his own besides working for the Celtics, and some of the guys still went to him after he was let go. It is Lacerte that puzzled me, and no one talked at all about it. Doo gave a story about his business, but Lacerte remains closed mouth.

None of this just happened. There was a reason. But, we will never know.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Totally sucks. Sometimes these types of infections can be hard to shake (think Gronk and his arm a year or two ago). I assume the infection occurred during the procedure, otherwise it is hard to understand how he could have an internal infection localized in his knee. I would like to hear more about this, and I would like to hear more about this other procedure that needs to be done. I hope they can take care of everything and that Kyrie can make a full recovery.

Here is Kevin Pelton from ESPN writing about the Celtics chances without Irving:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23040426/can-boston-celtics-make-deep-playoff-run-kyrie-irving-nba

How far will the Boston Celtics advance in the playoffs without All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving?

We already knew that the Celtics would likely have to start their postseason run without Irving following a surgical procedure to remove a tension wire in his left patella last month. However, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Thursday that Irving will now miss the entire playoffs, a blow to Boston's chances of returning to the Eastern Conference finals.

Relying on their younger talent, the Celtics have managed to go 12-6 in games Irving has missed this season -- a better winning percentage (.667) than any East team save the conference-leading Toronto Raptors. So how well can we expect them to perform in the playoffs? Let's take a look.

Boston offenses suffers without Irving
As you'd expect, taking Irving's efficient 24.4 points per game out of the lineup has a huge impact on the Celtics' offense. In the 18 games he's missed, they've scored 4.1 fewer points per 100 possessions than their opponents in those games typically allow -- a rate that would rank 26th in the NBA over the full season.

So without Irving, Boston has relied even more heavily on the league's best defense. The Celtics typically allow 4.8 points per 100 possessions fewer than league average to their opponents. In games Irving has missed, with better defenders replacing him at point guard, that's improved slightly to 5.3 points per 100 possessions better than league average.

Given that Boston's schedule has been a little more difficult than typical with Irving out of the lineup, the sum total is a team 1.6 points per 100 possessions better than average when adjusted for opponent and game location. But all the Celtics need to do is perform decently on offense to become difficult to beat, even without Irving.

During their six-game winning streak from March 20 through 31, which included wins over the Raptors and Oklahoma City and at both Portland and Utah, Boston scored 2.9 points per 100 possessions better than those teams typically allow. If the Celtics can maintain that over the course of a seven-game series, they've got a chance to beat anyone in the East.

Who steps forward in Irving's absence?
Let's take a look at how Boston's offense changes shape when Irving sits out. Here's a comparison for the team's top six players in minutes played without Irving in terms of their share of the offense and efficiency in games Irving has played and those he's missed.

Celtics With And Without Irving
PLAYER USG (W/ KYRIE) TS USG (W/O KYRIE) TS
Jayson Tatum .181 .603 .239 .545
Terry Rozier .195 .529 .237 .513
Al Horford .180 .572 .201 .590
Jaylen Brown .206 .551 .233 .574
Marcus Morris .221 .522 .261 .604
Aron Baynes .169 .500 .156 .525

When Irving sits, the Celtics' starting five plays somewhat more equally, with three players -- Terry Rozier, Irving's backup, and starting wings Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum -- all finishing between 23 and 24 percent of the team's plays while on the court. (By comparison, Irving has finished more than 31 percent of Boston's plays when he's seen action.)

Sixth man Marcus Morris takes on a slightly larger role because he's playing many of his minutes with a second unit that lacks scoring punch without Rozier and Marcus Smart, who is currently sidelined after thumb surgery. Fellow reserve Greg Monroe has an even higher usage rate at 27.5 percent of the Celtics' plays.

As is typical, Rozier and Tatum have responded to the increased responsibility by becoming less efficient in terms of their true shooting percentage (TS). But Brown, Al Horford and particularly Morris have bucked that trend. In part, this can probably be traced to Morris getting healthier after dealing with a sore knee early in the season, when Irving was generally in the lineup.

More than that, however, these players have relied on unusually strong 3-point shooting in Irving's absence.

3-Point Shooting Breakdown
PLAYER WITH KYRIE WITHOUT CAREER
Jayson Tatum .454 .359 .429
Terry Rozier .380 .402 .359
Al Horford .431 .436 .370
Jaylen Brown .362 .469 .368
Marcus Morris .358 .435 .358

Despite Tatum's downturn (which is probably more regression to the mean than anything else) and the loss of Irving's 40.8 percent 3-point shooting, Boston has shot better as a team on 3s without Irving (38.3 percent) than in games he played (37.6 percent). Naturally, it was even better than that during the recent six-game winning streak: an incredible 48.3 percent. Given the role of luck in 3-point percentages, that raises the sobering possibility that even the 26th-ranked offense the Celtics have played in Irving's absence might not be entirely sustainable in the playoffs.

How far will Boston go?
That concern noted, the Celtics should still be favored to win their first-round matchup. Now all but locked into the second seed after losing Wednesday night in Toronto, Boston should be hoping for the Milwaukee Bucks to finish seventh among the three teams that have a chance to do so. Milwaukee has actually been outscored this season despite a 42-36 record, so the short-handed Celtics have been comfortably better without Irving before accounting for home-court advantage in the series.

While a reasonable case can be made that the Washington Wizards are better than their plus-0.7 differential with a healthy John Wall, none of the three teams Boston could face in the first round (the Miami Heat being the other) have better than a plus-1.0 differential. Factoring in home court, the Celtics deserve to be favored over any of the three teams, even if this series no longer looks like a gimme.

If Boston advances, the conference semifinals present a more difficult matchup. With the Indiana Pacers falling two games back, the third spot in the East looks like a battle between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Philadelphia 76ers, who are currently tied in the standings. Philadelphia's plus-4.0 differential is now better than the Celtics' plus-3.7 mark for the season on the strength of a 12-game Sixers winning streak.

Meanwhile, though Cleveland's plus-0.9 margin would be more at home in the bottom half of the East playoffs, the Cavaliers have outscored opponents by 2.8 points per game since the All-Star break and have a long history of performing better in the postseason than the regular season. Having beaten a Boston team that held home-court advantage (with an All-Star point guard, in that case Isaiah Thomas, dealing with an injury) 4-1 in last year's conference finals, Cleveland is unlikely to be fazed by going on the road.

So assuming whichever team ends up third advances, the Celtics should be considered underdogs in the second round. And while they did beat the Raptors at home without Irving, their 18-point loss Wednesday in Toronto is probably a more reasonable indication of what a potential conference finals matchup between the two teams would look like if Boston were to get that far.

The Celtics' best hope for surviving Irving's injury was for him to be back by the conference semifinals. Now that the possibility is off the table, barring another run of torrid 3-point shooting Boston's playoff run will probably be shorter than average for a No. 2 seed.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Totally sucks. Sometimes these types of infections can be hard to shake (think Gronk and his arm a year or two ago). I assume the infection occurred during the procedure, otherwise it is hard to understand how he could have an internal infection localized in his knee. I would like to hear more about this, and I would like to hear more about this other procedure that needs to be done. I hope they can take care of everything and that Kyrie can make a full recovery.

I believe these types of infections are usually blood born, not due to non sterile operating conditions. Bacteria get into the blood stream all the time (through the nose, the mouth, or through a skin lesion), but the body clears them. Those screws Kyrie has act like a splinter, a foreign body. They have to come out for the joint to heal.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Take it from me, those kinds of infections (blood) are really, really tough to treat. I had a bacterial blood infection two summers ago. I had to be treated in a hospital (rehab) because they had to check my blood before they gave me the meds and then two hours after. A constant battle. Lasted seven weeks. I was on two medicines, one really high powered. So, I can imagine what he is going thru with his leg. Once they opened him up, anything could have happened.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:Totally sucks. Sometimes these types of infections can be hard to shake (think Gronk and his arm a year or two ago). I assume the infection occurred during the procedure, otherwise it is hard to understand how he could have an internal infection localized in his knee. I would like to hear more about this, and I would like to hear more about this other procedure that needs to be done. I hope they can take care of everything and that Kyrie can make a full recovery.

I believe these types of infections are usually blood born, not due to non sterile operating conditions. Bacteria get into the blood stream all the time (through the nose, the mouth, or through a skin lesion), but the body clears them. Those screws Kyrie has act like a splinter, a foreign body. They have to come out for the joint to heal.

Could be, but I am not sure why it is localized. From ESPN:

The team said a bacterial infection was discovered at the site of the screws when Irving had his most recent surgery, on March 24, to remove tension wire in the knee and that Saturday's procedure will ensure no infection remains in the knee. The wire had been placed in his knee during the same surgery in which the screws were inserted in 2015.

I guess this means it wasn't from the most recent procedure, since they found it during the procedure. Maybe it was as you say, from some other source and some bacteria adhered to the screws??? Or it is from the original procedure?? Where is Dr. Worcester when you need him??

If they found it during the procedure, I wonder what thet delay was in making the call to shut him down.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:24 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Take it from me, those kinds of infections (blood) are really, really tough to treat.  I had a bacterial blood infection two summers ago. I had to be treated in a hospital (rehab) because they had to check my blood before they gave me the meds and then two hours after. A constant battle. Lasted seven weeks. I was on two medicines, one really high powered. So, I can imagine what he is going thru with his leg. Once they opened him up, anything could have happened.

Sorry to hear that, that really sucks. Did you have an antibiotc-resistant infection? Resistant bacteria are a real problem and possibly a looming health crisis. Hopefully everything worked out for you.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes it did but it took a whole summer of being in a rehab, so that they could watch the infection. It was bizarre, to this day I have no idea where I got it. But I do have other health issues (too many to list) that could have interfered with things moving along faster. My Meds though we administered thru the CDC as they were called in.

He will undergo surgery Saturday to remove those screws where the infection was found. 4 to 6 month recovery??? wow
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm

In Terry We Trust

Terry Rozier
Terry Rozier
@T_Rozzay3
No Doubt No Fear this way
1:14 PM · Apr 5, 2018

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I've always kind of felt like without Hayward a championship run wouldn't be the most feasible outcome. You need as much firepower to compete against playoff competition. This sucks obviously but it'll just give the young guys a chance.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Irving out for the rest of the season. DaCnBbcUMAAJI4W?format=jpg

bob.
This team could compete for a title. The 5th player, who is cut off is Boogie.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next