Post Game Thread - vs Bulls

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Bulls

Post by bobheckler on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:03 pm

54.  Doc always used to say, in response to players who claimed they were better than their underachieving win-loss record, "you are your record".  If that's true, then this team is better than last year's 53 win team.  This is despite the fact that
1.  Kyrie will miss 22 games while IT only lost 6
2.  Jaylen Brown is only a 21 year old sophomore while Avery Bradley was the top on-the-ball defender in the league
3.  Jayson Tatum is a, now, 20 year old rookie while Jae Crowder was a veteran, a very good defender and shot 40% from 3.

Sure, they're the Bulls but we were a G-league team last night and we still won with a solid margin of victory.

Career high 32 for Jaylen.  For a player who came into the league as a defense-oriented player with an offense that relied heavily, perhaps too much so, on athleticism he has really blossomed.  7-10 from 3.  Love it.  The kids a stud.  Once he becomes more consistent he'll be a perennial all-star.  He won't have to score 30 points, he just needs 20/game on average and his, now usual, defense.

Yabusele with another start.  Not bad.  Not a great scoring night but 6 rebounds and two great blocks.  He's raw, but he has enough going for him, especially with that body, that he can be a force.  And he can dance.

Monroe with the 2nd triple-double of his career.  We finally got to see Monroe acting as a passing big and it worked like a charm.  Greg Monroe became the first Celtics center to log a triple-double since Robert Parish back on March 29th, 1987.

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
Jaylen Brown on Greg Monroe's level of confidence with Celtics: "He's the most confident person I've ever met and that's saying a lot because I'm a super confident person."

reply retweet like

Jabari Bird and Jonathan Gibson became instant cult leaders.  15 by Bird and 9 for Gibson (in just 9 minutes) on 3-5 from 3.  Bird, in particular, did a great job of moving without the ball baseline.  At least one dunk and a layup by cutting baseline without the ball.  Nader needs to keep working hard because Jabari Bird sure is.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Jonathan Gibson asked why he chose #60: “My number is 22, but then I saw all those retired numbers...”

reply retweet like

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Jonathan Gibson says he chose No. 60 because he scored 60 in back-to-back games in China. Legend.

reply retweet like

Jay King

Verified account

@ByJayKing
Follow Follow @ByJayKing
More
Jonathan Gibson still in his jersey while giving an interview. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. The Celtics debut gets better.

Morris ejected again.  A very, very bad habit since we are both undermanned and it will turn the refs against him.  He's the veteran, he needs to play more under control and not let kids like Portis get under his skin and tossed.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
After watching the tape, it appears Bobby Portis yelled at Mook that he was a "Fudgebboi" and Mook responded that he was a "Beach mother fudger." I'm not an expert lip reader so I may be slightly off. Seems like a weird place to talk about fudge.

Aside from winning I'm just glad Bobby Portis didn't have his usual HOF performance against us.  That has gotten old.

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Jaylen Brown: “Like Terry said, no fear, no doubt in our eyes.”

reply retweet like

I love this team, these guys.  Everytime I think it's time to stick a fork in them they climb back into the ring for more.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975931

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Game Thread - vs Bulls

Post by jrleftfoot on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Semi should watch Bird make those Tony Allen cuts to the hoop. Monroe absolutely dominant.Gotta be happy for the new guy, Gibson. Morris lucky Portis didn`t sucker punch him. I keep changing my mind on whether Brown or Tatum will be the bigger star. If Brown keeps being aggressive , the sky is the limit. What a tandem to have , barring injuries , for the next decade.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:27 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Semi should watch Bird make those Tony Allen cuts to the hoop. Monroe absolutely dominant.Gotta be happy for the new guy, Gibson. Morris lucky Portis didn`t sucker punch him. I keep changing my mind on whether Brown or Tatum will be the bigger star. If Brown keeps being aggressive , the sky is the limit. What a tandem to have , barring injuries , for the next decade.

Yah me and my son, Johnny, we do the same thing, he says Tatum, I say Brown, on who’s going to be better? Well too bad we have all these injuries, now more shots and responsibility will go to 2 J’s and Rozier and the Moose and Morris, if any coach can come up with an effective strategy for this run, it’s Brad, now we’re gonna see how great a coach he is by working up new strategies for this team’s playoff run. I hope Moose gets 30 minutes a game, he’s earned it. How well the 2 J’s can carry this team will be great to see and great for their development, a real crash course physically and mentally. I’m betting we’re gonna surprise pundits even with all the injuries. And now we have a bunch of GL players on the team, they’re gonna be living the dream from GL to NBA playoffs....really, I say Brad figures out a way to get some production out of those guys too.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Brown's performance was off the charts. A game like this sets the stage for higher expectations.

Monroe played with a level of energy and precision that we have not seen from him.

The big secret is finally out. We have another Bird that can play at both ends.

If anyone out there thinks this team will pack it in forget about it.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by international on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:22 pm

http://www.celticslife.com/2018/04/guerschon-yabusele-reportedly-has-knee.html

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm

international wrote:http://www.celticslife.com/2018/04/guerschon-yabusele-reportedly-has-knee.html

Good Lord! What else can happen to us? I hope the MRI results are positive.

Danny needs to suit up. I know, he's old and has already had one heart attack but...

Brad is amazing. We won last night and 119 of the total 240 player minutes, 49.6%, were played by players who were rookies or sophomores and 58 of those 119 were by players who were in Maine for the year or (in the case of Gibson) just showed up with the last drop of rain. The NBA Awards will be announced June 25th. If Brad doesn't win COY, it's crooked.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Brad is certainly in the running for coach of the year.

I cannot imagine any coach doing so much with so little.

Credit to Danny for putting this team together.

Credit to all the players for buying into the vision.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:04 am

I was impressed with Bird in summer league. So glad that he's getting his chance now. And Gibson, how does Danny keep coming up with these guys?
The playoffs could be quite entertaining.
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down