swedeinestonia
worcester
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
Shamrock1000
11 posters

Go down

Skip Bayless says Tatum already better than Hayward Empty Skip Bayless says Tatum already better than Hayward

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue May 08, 2018 12:51 pm

We knew this talk was coming, so I suppose it is no surprise that Bayless is the guy to step up and stir the pot. To provide some perspective on Bayless, I also posted another article from The Onion's sports section, so be sure to read both.

https://nesn.com/2018/05/skip-bayless-believes-jayson-tatum-already-better-than-gordon-hayward/

Skip Bayless has joined Jayson Tatum’s fan club with the boldest of pronouncements.

The “Undisputed” host said on Monday’s show that the Boston Celtics rookie forward already is better than teammate Gordon Hayward. Bayless made his claim amid Tatum’s run of five consecutive 20-plus point playoff games. The 20-year-old is the youngest player to accomplish the feat, bettering Kobe Bryant’s previous record by 211 days. Tatum’s playoff excellence has convinced Bayless that Hayward will spend his Celtics career in his younger teammate’s shadow. Hayward joined the Celtics last offseason as a big-money free agent, but the gruesome ankle injury he suffered on Opening Night ended his season and created an opportunity for Tatum to fill the void.

Tatum’s consistent performances have earned rave reviews, with the likes of NBA legend Julius Erving and Celtics play-by-play announcer Mike Gorman praising his game this week.

But Bayless’ comparison to Hayward is bound to make headlines and give Celtics and NBA fans another topic to debate.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/05/skip-bayless-believes-jayson-tatum-already-better-than-gordon-hayward/

Now, from The Onion Sports:

https://sports.theonion.com/cancer-diagnosed-with-skip-bayless-1819576189

NEW YORK—Saying that nobody deserves to endure such an atrocious fate, doctors at Mount Sinai Medical Center announced at a press conference Tuesday that they had diagnosed cancer with stage IV Skip Bayless.

Surgical oncologist Dr. Andrew Bergman confirmed that Skip Bayless, one of the most dreaded and abhorrent diseases known to mankind, had metastasized, spreading throughout the malignant neoplasm and causing excruciating pain in the cancerous tissue.

“Realistically, cancer has little hope for survival with Skip Bayless this bad,” said Bergman, predicting that cancer will suffer severe agony brought on by the vociferous affliction that cuts off anyone in its path. “Based upon my professional experience, I’d say Skip Bayless is just about the worst thing you could have to deal with.”

“I wouldn’t wish Skip Bayless on my worst enemy,” Bergman solemnly continued.

According to Bergman’s prognosis, cancer will likely experience fatigue and nausea from Skip Bayless aggressively and rapidly spreading its inane remarks, noting that patients typically report severe shortness of breath as they become more exasperated with the cantankerous growth’s refusal to see logic.

Bergman told reporters that the cancer would continue to waste away, shriveling to a shell of its former self, until it eventually shuts down completely in reaction to the overwhelming smugness of Skip Bayless.

The oncologist confirmed that most Skip Bayless victims usually contract the despicable ailment within the first 15 minutes of televised segments.

“Unfortunately right now there is no cure for Skip Bayless,” said Bergman, adding that while early detection offers some hope for treatment, at this stage nearly 95 percent of patients will lose their battle with the self-satisfied disease. “It resists nearly everything we throw at it. It just continues to attack relentlessly without listening to a single thing. It pains me to say that fighting it is a completely futile effort.” 

“All we can do now is make the cancer as comfortable as possible and allow Skip Bayless to run its course,” Bergman continued.

According to Bergman, regular screenings for Skip Bayless are imperative, both through medical scans as well as routine self-checks at home. Bergman said that early warning signs of the highly virulent commentator include persistent headaches, loss of appetite, and abnormal bumps in ratings.

Bergman also stressed the importance of preventative care, stating that the incidence of Skip Bayless skyrockets amongst those who begin discussing the value of NBA power forward Kevin Durant or anyone who leaves ESPN on from 10 a.m. until noon.

“It tests your faith, even as a doctor, to see cancer saddled with something horrible like Skip Bayless,” said Bergman, reflecting on the anguish of those who must watch cancer struggle in vain as it attempts to cling to life, knowing they can do nothing to help. “People are always looking for a reason. They find themselves wondering how God could allow such a vicious thing like Skip Bayless to exist in this world.”

“All we can say is that Skip Bayless is something we wish modern medicine could have eradicated from society years ago,” added the oncologist.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Skip Bayless says Tatum already better than Hayward Empty Re: Skip Bayless says Tatum already better than Hayward

Post by bobheckler Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 pm

As much as this is music to my ears, Skip Clueless is an idiot who has admitted that he doesn't even watch games.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Skip Bayless says Tatum already better than Hayward Empty Re: Skip Bayless says Tatum already better than Hayward

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm

bobheckler wrote:As much as this is music to my ears, Skip Clueless is an idiot who has admitted that he doesn't even watch games.

bob

As much as he makes my skin crawl, his analysis in that video is not bad.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Give me a break Skip. Guy goes down, hasn't played a year, so everyone forgets how good he really is. Listen I love Tatum, you all know that, but this is a stretch.

Will he be better some day, maybe. But not now. How about counting the mistakes his makes in his ball handling, that really needs work???

This kind of story irritates me, but, after last night, it doesn't take much for that to happen
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 08, 2018 7:51 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Give me a break Skip.  Guy goes down, hasn't played a year, so everyone forgets how good he really is.  Listen I love Tatum, you all know that, but this is a stretch.  

Will he be better some day, maybe. But not now.  How about counting the mistakes his makes in his ball handling, that really needs work???  

This kind of story irritates me, but, after last night, it doesn't take much for that to happen

If Hayward is still better than Tatum, that’s an awesome piece to suit up next year, because Tatum right now is historically good and in incredible company. We should all be happy if Hayward is that good.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Did you ever watch Hayward? Why would he have been rated so highly if he wasn't good.. I assume you are referring to his injury and if he willl come back strong. Look at Paul George, I think that Hayward willl be fine. There are a lot of things that Tatum needs to work on in the next year to come close to Hayward. I will say one thing, when he does take that step up, his game is going to be totally dynamic. We will have one hell of an offense next year, with Kyrie back, Gordon, and Jaylen and Jason and Al. The bench is the question, who stays? Who goes?

I guess you can tell by now, I am in Hayward's corner on this one
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Yes I’ve seen Hayward play, he’s a legit all star, there were times I’ve seen him do things like score effortlessly and there are times I thought he could do more. Like the time I saw Avery Bradley block his shot attempt at end of game when he tried to post up the smaller player in a mismatch. I’m not knocking him, we don’t know Tatums ceiling yet and he will only be better next year. I think Hayward is a good defensive player, I think potentially Jaylen and Jayson might be better defensively right now.  Jayson still has problems finishing right
now, smaller players can get into him, he finishes better over big players. Right now if Hayward is as good as he was in last years playoffs, he’s definitely better than what Tatum is right now....but we expect both J’s to make big jumps. Jaylen has to work on his handle which will make his post up and finishing better and Jayson needs to get stronger, which will help his rebounding, defense and finishing. Both already may be better athletes than Hayward, which is no knock on Gordon.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed May 09, 2018 12:02 am

a plethora of riches
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed May 09, 2018 7:10 am

Hayward is much more consistent and efficient I would say. Tatum is still building his game and finding out what he can and can not do. Tatum probably will be better but even so there is room for both and Hayward strikes me as the type of player that will be able to adjust his game to what is needed and also willing to score less for winning.

Imagine a fully healthy rotation of Irving - Rozier - Smart - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford. Thats pretty much 6 allstar level players (if Rozier keeps it up and Hayward can still perform). Thats a very strong 6man rotation and then you got players like Baynes, Theis, Morris and so on..
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 09, 2018 7:50 am

I would say Tatum has a good chance to be better than Hayward.

and possible sooner than most people think. This kid has surpassed hall of fame type players in his playoff run this year.

The playoffs, a time when rookies most time slink back from the bright lights. Not Tatum, he gets a slam blocked by one of the best young big men in the game and turns around and tell HIM...."you got lucky"

Haywards a good player for sure and he and Brad have a long connection, But I think Tatum has already shown he will become a BIG DOG in the NBA.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 am

I think the concern is not so much who is the better player now, but whether or not playing Hayward will thwart the development of Tatum (or Brown). It would seem like a mistake and a step backward for either guy to play fewer minutes next year. Tatum and Brown are our future. There are also financial and team balance concerns. Gordon makes 6X what Tatum makes - even if you think Gordon is better, it would be hard to argue he is 6X better. The good thing is that none of these guys seem like Divas, so I am guessing Brad can manage minutes and development for at least another year. Eventually though, at least one of Hayward, Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Smart, Rozier will likely be moved for a big and/or future picks.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed May 09, 2018 11:16 am

This is an argument or discussion we may be having, but I can guarantee you Hayward is the starter on this team for at least the next three years. I think that there is no way he is not in this lineup for Brad. We have not seen how good he is in this offense/defense. Five minutes is not enough time to judge or think of putting him on the trading block. There will be a big place for Tatum in this lineup. I do feel, however, that the one that will be gone at some point is Rozier. How will he handle going back to the bench when Kyrie is healthy? He believes he has proven he is worthy of a starting role. I may be the only one who wonders about that. He has not proven to me that from, start to finish, he is the leader. He may be the scorer in the 4th quarter, but his tendency to start slow is an issue.

If I could, I would keep them all, but we know that is not going to happen
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed May 09, 2018 12:11 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:This is an argument or discussion we may be having, but I can guarantee you Hayward is the starter on this team for at least the next three years.  I think that there is no way he is not in this lineup for Brad.  We have not seen how good he is in this offense/defense. Five minutes is not enough time to judge or think of putting him on the trading block.  There will be a big place for Tatum in this lineup. I do feel, however, that the one that will be gone at some point is Rozier. How will he handle going back to the bench when Kyrie is healthy? He believes he has proven he is worthy of a starting role.  I may be the only one who wonders about that.  He has not proven to me that from, start to finish, he is the leader. He may be the scorer in the 4th quarter, but his tendency to start slow is an issue.

If I could, I would keep them all, but we know that is not going to happen

Then either Tatum or Brown will be traded, since that is the only way that one of those two will not be starting on the Celtics in the next three years. That is certainly possible though - we won't be able to pay and play everyone. As I said earlier, Brad can probably manage minutes and egos next year, when JT, JB, and TR might still be okay coming off the bench and. If we look like serious contenders, I could easily seeing Danny keeping it together for a run at a title - if JT, JB and TR continue to develop, and Gh and KI come back full strength, that could be an absolutely sick team! However, if Danny thinks we are still not quite there, I could easily see one or more of KI, GH, JT, JB, TR, MS (if we resign him) getting traded for a big and/or picks.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I can't see any among the trio of Tatum, Brown or Hayward being content coming off the bench.

What that means for lineups and deals, even D Ainge may not yet have any idea. To say the situation is fluid, is more than likely a vast understatement.

On Tatum already being better than Hayward; in my opinion, it's possible. I think he's a better defender for certain. It will take Tatum playing at this level for a while yet before anyone can say for sure. Hayward's ability to return to past form is also a wild card.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm

NYCelt wrote:I can't see any among the trio of Tatum, Brown or Hayward being content coming off the bench.

What that means for lineups and deals, even D Ainge may not yet have any idea. To say the situation is fluid, is more than likely a vast understatement.

On Tatum already being better than Hayward; in my opinion, it's possible. I think he's a better defender for certain. It will take Tatum playing at this level for a while yet before anyone can say for sure. Hayward's ability to return to past form is also a wild card.

+1

Excellent summary of the situation

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 09, 2018 4:08 pm

in todays NBA I believe you can field a team with

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Irving

all getting starters minutes ( I don't care WHO is starting where anymore, I am now over that).

Smart
Rozier
Morris

make an 8 man rotation that rivals GS in my opinion (and also happens to be where we need to be to compete for a title).

add Theis, Semi and re-sign Baynes and we have a deep roster.

forget the talk about not being able to pay everyone. That is NOT an issue for next season. Only Smart (who is restricted and WE control) and Baynes are FA's that need to be brought back on that team above.

IF the owners are not willing to go into tax territory starting next year, then they do not want to have a championship team in the NBA.

in 2019 we will have to likely decide on Irving ( he can and will opt out) and Rozier (who we can still control as a RFA). Morris will also be a RFA as well. But Danny will have the Kings likely lottery pick to replace Rozier with if needed and he can also push a sign and trade for Rozier as RFA as well.

Horfords contract will up in 2020 I believe and depending on if we are defending champs Danny may have another decision to make as Jaylen Brown will be a RFA that year as well.

all in all Danny is set up nicely with how the contracts are spread up for renewal, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you kdp I totally agree. I do believe your five starters were our five starters on opening night. Brad has said he wants a ball handler, wings, and a mobile big and that five is probably close to perfect in his mind. I don’t think you will ever hear Brad talk about a small forward, power forward or shooting guard.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm

These owners want another title. They have invested in Danny and the players he has brought here. I believe the luxury tax is not the issue as long as it is not crazy.

look at Golden State, Curry is a MAX player at over $200 mil, Durant wants his this year, Thompson has said he wants to stay, and Green. They then have had the $ to resign Iggy and Livingston. Then the rest of the crew. They have to be well over the cap. And, not only is Durant up and wants his money, Thompson is up also and it will be interesting how far they will go when it comes to his contract. He is a big cog in the wheel, expecially since Curry is so fragile.

I refuse to think that the Celtics will not go all out for next season. What a dynamite team they will have next year if all are healthy.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed May 09, 2018 4:21 pm

kdp59 wrote:in todays NBA I believe you can field a team with

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Irving

all getting starters minutes ( I don't care WHO is starting where anymore, I am now over that).

Smart
Rozier
Morris

make an 8 man rotation that rivals GS in my opinion (and also happens to be where we need to be to compete for a title).

add Theis, Semi and re-sign Baynes and we have a deep roster.

forget the talk about not being able to pay everyone. That is NOT an issue for next season. Only Smart (who is restricted and WE control) and Baynes are FA's that need to be brought back on that team above.

IF the owners are not willing to go into tax territory starting next year, then they do not want to have a championship team in the NBA.

in 2019 we will have to likely decide on Irving ( he can and will opt out) and Rozier (who we can still control as a RFA). Morris will also be a RFA as well. But Danny will have the Kings likely lottery pick to replace Rozier with if needed and he can also push a sign and trade for Rozier as RFA as well.

Horfords contract will up in 2020 I believe and depending on if we are defending champs Danny may have another decision to make as Jaylen Brown will be a RFA that year as well.

all in all Danny is set up nicely with how the contracts are spread up for renewal, IMO.

If Rozier continues to play like this next year, Danny shouldn't just let Terry walk and try and draft his replacement. As you mention, a sign and trade might be possible. I am not a cap guy - doesn't that assume the Celtics sign Terry to whatever the other team offers, and then trades him taking back equal salary? If they are going to pay that salary, why not pay Terry? Is there any chance we can extend him this year to a fair and reasonable contract? Again, if he continues at this pace, having him locked up on a reasonable contract would make him incredibly valuable in trades. What can't happen is that we just let him walk next summer without getting anything in return - that is bad business.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed May 09, 2018 4:47 pm

KDP,
Agree with you. this 10-men crew can beat any team in best-of-7, IMHO.

Bobc33,
I think you're right about the opening game's starters. But what a huge difference in the Js: October 2017 vs May 2018, especially Tatum.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm

That won't happen with Rozier, if Danny feels he has no chance of signing him, look to February for him to be moved. He will not let him walk, too many teams want him, even right now. He should weigh his options closely as getting stuck on a lousy team would be awful for him when he could stick around, sign a deal, and possible be in the mix for a title shot next year.

So many times guys jump and regret it for years later.
But, money talks so I can't blame the guy if he wants to go. The shot at one big contract is sometimes all a player gets
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 10, 2018 7:54 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:That won't happen with Rozier, if Danny feels he has no chance of signing him, look to February for him to be moved.  He will not let him walk, too many teams want him, even right now.  He should weigh his options closely as getting stuck on a lousy team would be awful for him when he could stick around, sign a deal, and possible be in the mix for a title shot next year.

So many times guys jump and regret it for years later.
But, money talks so I can't blame the guy if he wants to go.  The shot at one big contract is sometimes all a player gets

certainly could happen at next years trade deadline if someone makes an offer Danny likes. However we can control Rozier as a RFA after next year as well....the only problem with matching any offer is will the owners step up and pay the bill.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Skip Bayless may be correct in his thinking on this one, but only time will tell us for sure.

Remember, that talking sports is his job, he does talk a lot and is often very wrong in his thoughts..

Hopefully, he will be correct but I would not bet much of anything that Bayless spouts out.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down