Perk Shows A Few New Tricks

+3
NickFaldo
spikeD
7 posters

Go down

Perk Shows A Few New Tricks Empty Perk Shows A Few New Tricks

Post by spikeD Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:26 pm

He continues to crash the offensive boards same as before. Next play he sneaks away on the break. A minute later, he makes a nice pass, then gets the ball back and hits an open twelve foot jumper.

What in the blazes is going on here? Both Perk and Rondo are getting much more involved in the Celtics offense.

Could it be repercussions from the infamous team meeting last spring? Is it possible that Doc and the big threeo actually listened to what the youngsters were saying? That the team with five offensive threats is more unpredictable and adaptable than a team with only three. That collectively, they need to nurture and grow Perk's and Rondo's offensive games to make them into legitimate threats.

One new trick Perk et al have come up with is, Holy Bob Cousy!, is Perk running the floor. When the Beast puts the pedal to the metal, don't get in the man's way. In actuality, Perk's sneaking away - reading the right moment and releasing.

Rondo supposedly wants the ball in his hands while he quarterbacks the team. Interesting concept. Filmateleven.

spikeD

Back to top Go down

Perk Shows A Few New Tricks Empty Re: Perk Shows A Few New Tricks

Post by NickFaldo Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Here's a really good interview Perk did. He referred to himself and Rondo as the Ugly Two.

bostcelts8 wrote:Kendrick Perkins dominates the interior on his way to a career high 7 blocks. The Celtics went on to improve their record to 5-1 in the 08-09 season with a 101-89 victory over Milwaukee.

Check this out. Perk got a technical for staring.

Which reminds me of when Tim Duncan got thrown out of a game for laughing while sitting on the bench. Unreal.

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Perk lost some weight and it is really helping his game. I believe the Celtic's will show a new look this year where everyone is in play to do the unexpected. It will be a new face vs. the last two years and I believe Doc has not shown his hand yet this year with preseason with the offense. We may be surprised come Tuesday where it becomes a cake walk vs. a nail bitter. Again, my lips to god's ear, lets hope!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:27 am

I too would like to see Perk more involved in the offense,last year in a game vs Jazz,he could get a shot over Okur any time he wanted and they didn't exploit the match up.....this year in a favorable matchup we should.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by CelticDog Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Its true. an engine can run smoother with all cylinders running!
Obviously, the big three will get theirs, but by allowing Perk and Rondo
in on the offense, the defenses can't focus on stopping the big three
with the same efforts. I really hope to see more of this this season,
as it should make us much harder to defend and more aggressive
and high powered overall.
It should open up more lanes for the Big Three
as well. But I do believe that this has been a process, not a lack of coaching,
as both rondo and perk were very limited two years ago. Can't wait!

CelticDog

Back to top Go down

Post by CelticDog Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:08 pm

P.S We may be seing the second comming of the CHIEF!

CelticDog

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Celtic Dog

Although it was "just" a preseason game. The last game against the Cavs many of the early possessions were tossed into the low post to Perk. Some were low bounce passes that in years past he may have muffed.

And for the most part he made good choices when he got the ball.

Hopefully with continued work 10ppg and 10rpg can be achieved.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by spikeD Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Perk said in one of the interviews that Doc intended to go to the low post game more often this year - if it worked. Then, Perk smiled. It's a funny thing that when Perk smiles you want to hide under the couch. Even Shaq seems a little intimidated by the Beast.

Sending the ball in low to Perk is only part of it, though. Perk needs to get the ball in his spots. For the jumphook, he has to be no farther out than eight feet, nine at the most. For the jumper, it's twelve feet, no more, no less. I don't even want to think about Perk shooting threes.

Then there's the pick and roll. Perk's game and Rondo's game will finally shapeshift into multifacetedness when the two of them can execute the pick and roll. Rondo does it with KG and, once upon a time, did it with Powe, but for whatever reason, Perk doesn't roll very well, or, something. It's beyond my ken, but somebody must know.

The other thing that will make them legitimate threats is improving their free throw percentages - a little too much to ask for, I suppose. However, if they can become mentally tough enough to make them when they have to, I'll settle for that.

spikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Spike
Perk doesn't have the hands to consistantly catch those blind conjurings of crisp pick and roll receiving,his post game is getting better and better every year though.....we'll be able to run the pick and roll enough with KG and Sheed who both also can pop,I don't expect Perk to do everything an elite big does,just keep giving me that mean hardnosed D bigfella,thats his role and he does it in a very effective Silas type way.Love the Beast.
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10 pm

spikeD wrote:Perk said in one of the interviews that Doc intended to go to the low post game more often this year - if it worked. Then, Perk smiled. It's a funny thing that when Perk smiles you want to hide under the couch. Even Shaq seems a little intimidated by the Beast.

Sending the ball in low to Perk is only part of it, though. Perk needs to get the ball in his spots. For the jumphook, he has to be no farther out than eight feet, nine at the most. For the jumper, it's twelve feet, no more, no less. I don't even want to think about Perk shooting threes.

Then there's the pick and roll. Perk's game and Rondo's game will finally shapeshift into multifacetedness when the two of them can execute the pick and roll. Rondo does it with KG and, once upon a time, did it with Powe, but for whatever reason, Perk doesn't roll very well, or, something. It's beyond my ken, but somebody must know.

The other thing that will make them legitimate threats is improving their free throw percentages - a little too much to ask for, I suppose. However, if they can become mentally tough enough to make them when they have to, I'll settle for that.

Spike,

If Manute Bol could add 3s to his game, couldn't Perk? (Although I think it was Don Nelson who gave Manute the green light, can't quite see Doc doing that)

I do like Perks over the top entry pass when he is at the foul line, I don't think he gets credit for the good touch he has with those.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down