Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum

5 posters

Go down

Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum Empty Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum

Post by bobheckler Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/05/paul_pierce_sees_a_great_celtic_in_jayson_tatum

Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum

Steve Bulpett Thursday, May 24, 2018

Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum 052318celticsms019
Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum celebrates 96-83 win with forward Guerschon Yabusele during the fourth quarter of the Eastern Conference Playoffs against the Cleveland Cavaliers at the TD Garden on Wednesday, May 23, 2018.  Staff photo by Matt Stone
Credit: Matt Stone

CLEVELAND — Paul Pierce didn’t mince words. He doesn’t have to. He’s been given good cover.

“I think he’s going to be one of the great players in Celtic history,” Pierce said of Jayson Tatum.

Jayson Tatum. Rookie Jayson Tatum. Just stopped being a teenager in March Jayson Tatum.

Paul Pierce is one of the great players in Celtic history — his number hangs above the parquet floor in grand evidence — but how many people were anointing him so as he finished his rookie year? There was every fair prognosis that Pierce was going to be really good, a star even. But he’d not had the season that Tatum did.

Tatum’s gone from 13.9 to 18.4 points a game in the postseason and has been averaging 20.5 since Game 6 in Milwaukee. Pierce averaged 16.5 points as a rookie, but he didn’t get to participate in the playoffs until his fourth season.

“He’s already off to such a great start,” said Pierce. “He’s mature beyond his years. He doesn’t look rattled by the moment.

“Sometimes you see rookies have problems when they get to this point. I saw Ben Simmons against the Celtics, and it looked like moment was too big for him. He was wide-eyed out there. He looked confused.

“I don’t see that in Jayson Tatum. And if he didn’t have a team full of guys who are really good players and with two All-Stars, he could easily have won Rookie of the Year. I think he’s just starting to see his potential. He’s just 20 years old and he has a long way to go, but he’s just scratching the surface of how great he can really be.”

Tatum is scratching pretty hard in this postseason, hard enough to leave a mark. The latest scratch — 24 points, four rebounds and four steals in Game 5, plus the assertiveness and utter lack of hesitation — has moved the basketball world to the edge of its seat.

Pierce, too.

Thursday morning, he was moved to text.

“He doesn’t know that he’s the guy yet,” Pierce wrote. “When he realizes that, watch out.”

He hit a familiar theme in another message, “Mature beyond his years. Scary.”

Back in the earlier conversation, Pierce expanded on his big-game commentary.

“He’s an ultra talent, but some players are made for the regular season and some are built for the playoffs,” he said of said Pierce. “And Tatum is obviously built for the playoffs. He’s not going to have the stats that these other guys like Donovan Mitchell have and Simmons, but you can tell he was made for the playoffs. He thrives in the playoffs.”

There was another player in recent Celtic history that did, too.

“Oh, I see a lot of myself in him,” Pierce said. “It just seems like he’s outsmarting his opponent all the time. He’s constantly thinking, how can he get his shot off? He can get his shot any time he wants, he’s great in that mid-range area, he’s very deceptive, and he’s showing me a lot.

“The way he already uses his body, once he gets stronger, he’s going to be unstoppable. He’ll be getting to cup, finishing and getting and-one’s. When he’s not blowing by his man, he’s using his body to create space. I’m seeing those little things that he’s doing, his footwork, you know, the half-spin he made in that game against Philly. I’m like, wow. He’s got a great feel for the game. He doesn’t look like a rookie at all.”

Among the Tatum amazements for Pierce is that the newer Celt is doing all this after just one year of college, a season in which he was hampered by an early foot injury.

Pierce spent three years at Kansas, increasing his scoring average from 11.9 to 16.3 to 20.4.

“I had a chance to develop, get stronger,” Pierce said. “He’s two years removed from high school and he’s playing like this. I mean, that’s the scary part. That’s why he’s just scratching his potential.

“He’s only going to get better as he gets smarter, gets in the gym and figures out other ways to get things done. He’s showing he can do more. And maybe it’s a blessing that Kyrie [Irving] isn’t out there right now, because he’s seeing that he can handle the ball. He can come off pick-and-roll situations, where you couldn’t do that before because you had Kyrie being pretty ball-dominant out there.”

For now, Pierce has nothing to teach Tatum. Key words: “for” and “now.”

“No, I don’t want to mess up his run, man,” Pierce said. “He’s fine. I would love to work with him though this summer. I’ll probably call Danny [Ainge] and see if that’s possible, but I would love to work with him. I see some things in his game where I know I could help.”

One of the great players in Celtic history helping a kid accelerate the process to becoming another.

Red Auerbach just smiled and lit another cigar.

bob
MY NOTE:  “He doesn’t know that he’s the guy yet,” Pierce wrote. “When he realizes that, watch out.”.  My sentiments, exactly.  I see him hesitate at times, and I understand why, he's a rook and all, but in a year or two and he realizes that he's the most efficient scorer on the team (yes, I am assuming Kyrie is still on the team) then WATCH OUT!!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Love the 2 J’s, just want to give Danny credit for drafting these 2 impact players, both who already defend better than Covington IMHO. Danny’s great at drafting any non center position, we could have easily had Buddy Hield and Markelle Fultz on this roster and we’d all be in misery.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Paul Pierce sees a great Celtic in Jayson Tatum

Post by worcester Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Well said Bob and Cow.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 am

Worse you believe Covington made first team all defensive?

How the fuck does that happen? Covington might be an above average defender, but it’s not like he’s near Ron Artest, he sure couldn’t stop either J during that series.

Can anybody explain how the voting system works for the NBA all defensive teams?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 am

Cow,
I don't know how the voting system for All-defensive team works, but I know that its results are total BS. Most glaring example is Lebron got just 1(one) vote.
As for Covington, whoever voted him in didn't watch how he's torched by JT.
BTW, why are playoffs excluded from considerations of MVP, All-NBA, All-defensive, etc teams?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 am

Sports writers in Philly are awarded 31 votes and all other writers from the rest of the country are awarded a total of 31 votes. That's the only explanation that can account for Covington getting onto any All NBA Defensive squad.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am

sort of makes Hayward redundant..... nice problem for Danny to have.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down