worcester
cowens/oldschool
fierce
20 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ainge Needs An Upgrade - Page 3 Empty Re: Ainge Needs An Upgrade

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 2:44 am

worcester wrote:Fierce. Saying Kawhi has no history of being injury prone is like saying Magic had no medical issues except fof being HIV positive. I like Kawhi but I doubt that he is healthy. And if he were, trading so much talent for him would hurt our bench. But you are right, we would have one hell of a starting five.

Of course there would be no deal if Kawhi is not healthy.

Ainge will do his homework before pulling the trigger.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 2:47 am

sinus007 wrote:Fierce,
Once again, Celtics don't need KL to counteract Lebron - we can do it successfully, IMO, with our current core of JL, JT, KI, GH, AH, TR and Morris ( I didn't mentioned Smart because he may not be out for '18-'19 season).
As for whether KL is gamble or isn't, my money is on "is". The reasons for that are a) we don't know the real status of his injury, b) we don't know the status of the "mental" side and, c) the mere fact that he's trying to get out of such organization and coach as SAS and Pop does raise a flag.
Of course, Danny may know the actual state of affair, but if he does he hasn't share it with me; therefore I have to rely on the above mentioned reasons.

AK

Fair enough.

a) If KL is not healthy, no deal.
Ainge will do his homework.

b) The mental side is subjective.

c) He's trying to get out of the Spurs and Pop, true.
But the reason why we got Kyrie is because Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland.
KL wouldn't be available if there was no issue with him and the Spurs organization.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 am

Just look at the GSW vs. Houston Game 7 a few hours ago.

In the last 5 minutes of the 4th, GSW put the ball in the hands of KD, Curry, and Klay.
The Rockets on the other hand were content letting Ariza, Gordon, and Tucker hoist away when the game was on the line.

More star players means more chances of winning.
That's just how it is.

Back in the 80s, Bird, Parish, and McHale had 3 championships.
Ten years ago the Celts won their 17th championship with KG, Ray, and Pierce.

The thinking that we only need a tweak also applied to last season.
Why did Ainge break up a team that went to the east finals?

Isaiah Thomas was 5th in MVP voting last season.
He averaged 29 points per game.
But Ainge didn't hesitate to trade IT because Ainge knew Kyrie is an upgrade.

Another example is the 2016 GSW team that won 73 games.
That's 73 wins!
Better than MJ's 72 wins in 1996.

The problem is the Warriors didn't win a championship that season.
They lost in a Game 7, at home, when Kyrie hit the game winning 3-pointer over Curry.

After a few weeks, GSW signed Kevin Durant.
The rest is history.

You can't have enough stars in the NBA.

It's just denial if we do not believe that having a healthy Kawhi, at the cost of losing Rozier and Brown, is an upgrade.

fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue May 29, 2018 7:41 am

I could see a deal for Leonard if

1)he were totally cleared as healthy

2) he agreed to an extension at less than super max

3) he could somehow play PF or center

otherwise I don't see how Brad or anyone else can find minutes for all our wings

Tatum- there is no way I move this kid now OR lower his minutes. He has a chance to be better than Hayward or Leonard, IMO.

Hayward- Sorry he's not a 2 guard and would get exposed on defense if played much there

Leonard- our PF now?

I just don't see the need for a deal , even for a healthy Leonard unless they move Hayward in the deal.

Leonard> Hayward (if both healthy) though.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue May 29, 2018 8:24 am

Fierce,

Thinking we only needed a tweak did not apply last season. We were too short at enough positions that switching off often left us vulnerable on defence.

Thomas and Bradley were replaced with Irving and Brown. That was an upgrade at both ends of the court.

Hayward for Crowder - huge upgrade. Even when Hayward went down, we had Tatum to fill the gap. I have to say that that was found money, no one thought Tatum would be that good.

Morris for Olynyk? I think that was a loss in quality. I don't like the prospect of Kelly covering LeBron on defence, but Kelly was way better than Morris on the other end.

Ainge knew that we were going nowhere in the long run with Thomas, Bradley and Crowder. So what do we have now?

Irving with Rozier and Smart as backups for ball handlers. That is very exciting to me.

Brown, Hayward and Tatum with Morris, Semi O, Yabusele for wings. There is some depth there and the young guys will only get better as next season goes on.

Horford and Baynes with Theis for bigs. We need to add someone else there.

Now we can add a couple more players to fill 15 slots. Unless we are extremely lucky at pick #27, I say draft and stash a big guy. I'd look at Okafor at vet min, multiple year contract with guarantees for performance thresholds. Maybe bring back Larkin.

That is 15 players. We are no longer at a size disadvantage at most positions, we are actually bigger than most teams and lose nothing when we have to switch. I would like to see where that gets us up to the trading deadline. If we have needs, that would be a good time to fill the holes.

Our future looks bright to me. There is no need to look to broken former great players who will only provide buyer regret and salary cap woes for years.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am

gyso wrote:Fierce,

Thinking we only needed a tweak did not apply last season.  We were too short at enough positions that switching off often left us vulnerable on defence.

Thomas and Bradley were replaced with Irving and Brown.  That was an upgrade at both ends of the court.

Hayward for Crowder - huge upgrade.  Even when Hayward went down, we had Tatum to fill the gap.  I have to say that that was found money, no one thought Tatum would be that good.

Morris for Olynyk?  I think that was a loss in quality.  I don't like the prospect of Kelly covering LeBron on defence, but Kelly was way better than Morris on the other end.

Ainge knew that we were going nowhere in the long run with Thomas, Bradley and Crowder.  So what do we have now?

Irving with Rozier and Smart as backups for ball handlers.  That is very exciting to me.

Brown, Hayward and Tatum with Morris, Semi O, Yabusele for wings.  There is some depth there and the young guys will only get better as next season goes on.

Horford and Baynes with Theis for bigs.  We need to add someone else there.

Now we can add a couple more players to fill 15 slots.  Unless we are extremely lucky at pick #27, I say draft and stash a big guy.  I'd look at Okafor at vet min, multiple year contract with guarantees for performance thresholds.  Maybe bring back Larkin.

That is 15 players.  We are no longer at a size disadvantage at most positions, we are actually bigger than most teams and lose nothing when we have to switch.  I would like to see where that gets us up to the trading deadline.  If we have needs, that would be a good time to fill the holes.

Our future looks bright to me.  There is no need to look to broken former great players who will only provide buyer regret and salary cap woes for years.

gyso

Cow,

"Morris for Olynyk?  I think that was a loss in quality.  I don't like the prospect of Kelly covering LeBron on defence, but Kelly was way better than Morris on the other end."

You're saying that you like Kelly Olynyk, the man you railed against for 4 years, calling him "a rag doll", more than Marcus Morris?
Who are you, and what have you done with my friend?

And Jaylen Brown in his first year as a starter is a better defender than the perennial #1 defensive guard in the league and First Team All-Defender? Don't be afraid of those nice men in the white suits, they are there to help you. The nets are just to keep those evil butterflies away from you...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 am

Bob, Jaylen was able to guard several positions, whereas Avery was pretty much limited to smaller guards, which he did very well, but he couldn't rotate off to bigger men when needed. Also, Avery was fragile, got hurt a bunch.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue May 29, 2018 10:28 am

IF Smart gets an offer than Danny won't match (which I doubt), don't sleep on Bradley replacing him at the MLE.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 am

Avery is a UFA. This year he made $8,808,989. He probably wants a lot more but may have to settle for less. What is the MLE money? If Smart is gone, Avery would be a nice replacement, except Avery can't play the 1. Smart is pretty versatile defensively, and is decent distributing the ball, but he's a poor scorer. Avery can give good D on smaller players, can score, and can space the floor because of his 3 point range. An interesting thought, kdp.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 am

Ktronic1 wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. Quick question now. Are we trying to just beat the Cavs or are we trying to win a title? Next year with Gordon and Kyrie back means its almost a lock that we’ll overcome the Cavs. But...are we good enough to beat the Warriors?  Right now i believe the answer is no. If I’m right than we need to get better.

I disagree, and think this team - with a summer full of growth and healing and adding back Theis, Irving and Hayward and a couple of new veteran pieces - are more than good enough to beat Golden State. But to each his own.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 am

bobheckler wrote:

Thinking we only needed a tweak did not apply last season.  We were too short at enough positions that switching off often left us vulnerable on defence.

Thomas and Bradley were replaced with Irving and Brown.  That was an upgrade at both ends of the court.

Hayward for Crowder - huge upgrade.  Even when Hayward went down, we had Tatum to fill the gap.  I have to say that that was found money, no one thought Tatum would be that good.

Morris for Olynyk?  I think that was a loss in quality.  I don't like the prospect of Kelly covering LeBron on defence, but Kelly was way better than Morris on the other end.

Ainge knew that we were going nowhere in the long run with Thomas, Bradley and Crowder.  So what do we have now?

Irving with Rozier and Smart as backups for ball handlers.  That is very exciting to me.

Brown, Hayward and Tatum with Morris, Semi O, Yabusele for wings.  There is some depth there and the young guys will only get better as next season goes on.

Now we can add a couple more players to fill 15 slots.  Unless we are extremely lucky at pick #27, I say draft and stash a big guy.  I'd look at Okafor at vet min, multiple year contract with guarantees for performance thresholds.  Maybe bring back Larkin.

That is 15 players.  We are no longer at a size disadvantage at most positions, we are actually bigger than most teams and lose nothing when we have to switch.  I would like to see where that gets us up to the trading deadline.  If we have needs, that would be a good time to fill the holes.

Our future looks bright to me.  There is no need to look to broken former great players who will only provide buyer regret and salary cap woes for years.

gyso

Cow,

"Morris for Olynyk?  I think that was a loss in quality.  I don't like the prospect of Kelly covering LeBron on defence, but Kelly was way better than Morris on the other end."

You're saying that you like Kelly Olynyk, the man you railed against for 4 years, calling him "a rag doll", more than Marcus Morris?
Who are you, and what have you done with my friend?

And Jaylen Brown in his first year as a starter is a better defender than the perennial #1 defensive guard in the league and First Team All-Defender?  Don't be afraid of those nice men in the white suits, they are there to help you.  The nets are just to keep those evil butterflies away from you...  

bob

Bob,

Obviously you've mistaken my post for something Cowens would never have written. (LOL)

IMO, Olynyk gave us better overall than did Morris. Morris did add more toughness and cost less, but he seemed to disappear in the playoffs. I always appreciated Olynyk's contributions and I also understood his weaknesses.

IMO, Brown gives us better team defense than Bradley.  It's a height driven opinion, Bradley can get switched on and thus taken advantage of.   Our team defense did not suffer with the loss of Bradley and Crowder, like many expected.

Your other friend,

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am

kdp59 wrote:IF Smart gets an offer than Danny won't match (which I doubt), don't sleep on Bradley replacing him at the MLE.

I don't want Bradley back for the very reasons Worcester lists. I was getting sick of always being shorter at most positions and Bradley just cannot seem to stay on the floor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue May 29, 2018 12:11 pm

swish wrote:Unless Brad has Hayward, Brown or Tatum penciled in for power forward next year - I would expect to see one of the three riding the pine at crunch time - while at the center, power-forward position it figures to be Horford and Morris or Baynes and Horford at crunch time - so count me in as one who would like to see Danny trade for a big of equal value for anyone of our three young shooters. Not easy perhaps - but it just might be doable.

swish

+1

This is the real crux of the "problem" facing Danny this summer. A similar problem could be framed for the glut of guys who play the one or the two. Would not be surprised at all if one or two of these guys are packaged for another big. Note that I put "problem" in quotes, because if too much talent is a problem, you are doing okay...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Gordon Hayward could easily play PF in some of the smaller lineups. Same with a growing Jayson Tatum.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Green who plays for the Spurs stated last week when he was on First Take that Leonard wants to remain with the Spurs.  The situation there is vexing to outsiders like ourselves.

I see no real need for Boston to go after Leonard and in the process gut their rotation.  There is of course the question concerning his health as well which further illustrates an unacceptable risk/reward for acquiring him.

We are less than 48 hours removed from losing game 7.  It would be a real stretch of one's imagination to entertain an idea that this team needs to make a major move.  Plug Irving and Hayward into game 7 and the poor shooting from Rozier and Brown becomes a non-factor.  The Celtics played with house money for most of the year but next year they play with their own money.

The Celtics as well as the top teams that made it to the final 4 did so without a beast in the middle.  Nevertheless, Al Horford will be 34 once he completes the last 2 years of his contract so maybe the Celtics should look to develop a young center that will be ready to step in in a few years.

The Celtics are very solid in terms of depth 1-4.  Boston should attempt to draft a center provided it does not substantially weaken their depth.  They have enough draft picks to use if necessary to move up.

The guys on this team that I would not trade to move up include Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum.  Those 5 are likely the starters next year.

Danny sees things through his own special crystal ball.  With that in mind his recent comments about just making a few tweaks is very realistic.  But he is already looking ahead.  He is thinking about managing the Cap, evaluating future prospects, and evaluating his current roster.

Danny is a cold blooded trader so if some team gives him an opening he will pull the trigger again because that is who he is.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Gordon Hayward could easily play PF in some of the smaller lineups.  Same with a growing Jayson Tatum.

True, but both are on the small or light side of PF - they are both wings, not bigs. We are rich in wings and guards, but thin in bigs.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue May 29, 2018 12:45 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Gordon Hayward could easily play PF in some of the smaller lineups.  Same with a growing Jayson Tatum.

I see Hayward and Brown mostly as SG/SF hybrids and Tatum being groomed as a SF/PF hybrid, once he gains some strength. The actual positions become moot when playing defense due to all the switching that this lineup allows.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 pm

One thing I have not seen since people wrote about Kwahi's physical condition, is reluctance  EXCEPT for Worcester who has explained the condition Kwahi may have, or what the Spurs say he does have.  Either one is not encouraging.  It sounds like a guy who will end up on the injury list more than on the bench.  Why?? do we want to take a chance like that when we have Jaylen, still not fully developed, playing for us.  

The talk any trade makes me think you are responding to game seven loss. Just think of how many games Jaylen played and kept us in the game with his play. I am not ready to give him up
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 29, 2018 12:49 pm

fierce wrote:Just look at the GSW vs. Houston Game 7 a few hours ago.

In the last 5 minutes of the 4th, GSW put the ball in the hands of KD, Curry, and Klay.
The Rockets on the other hand were content letting Ariza, Gordon, and Tucker hoist away when the game was on the line.

That's just how it is.

That's 73 wins!

They lost in a Game 7, at home, when Kyrie hit the game winning 3-pointer over Curry.

The rest is history.

It's just denial if we do not believe that having a healthy Kawhi, at the cost of losing Rozier and Brown, is an upgrade.

Fierce As you know from the trade machine that you shared a deal for Leonard would take more than Brown and Rozier. You need 7 players to make the deal work and the spurs would be bound to extract a very heavy price because they would also want a pick or two. They fleece us instead of us fleecing them.

I think that Brown has a real opportunity to equal what Leonard can do. Brown averaged more points in his second year than Leonard did in his third year. Brown is 21 and Leonard at 26 has missed a lot of games. He looks injury prone.

Just thought I would throw this little wrinkle in the mix in an attempt to dissuade you from believing that a deal for Leonard is in the best interest of this team.

I think that you are the one who is in denial. With all due respect the argument that you are making looks like a slice of swiss cheese.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue May 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Teams probably be more worried about defending those 5. Those are 5 versatile offensive players.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 pm

kdp59 wrote:I could see a deal for Leonard if

1)he were totally cleared as healthy

2) he agreed to an extension at less than super max

3) he could somehow play PF or center

otherwise I don't see how Brad or anyone else can find minutes for all our wings

Tatum- there is no way I move this kid now OR lower his minutes. He has a chance to be better than Hayward or Leonard, IMO.

Hayward- Sorry he's not a  2 guard and would get exposed on defense if played much there

Leonard- our PF now?

I just don't see the need for a deal , even for a healthy Leonard unless they move Hayward in the deal.

Leonard> Hayward (if both healthy) though.

Before the 2017 Draft, Tatum was a potential PF for the Celtics.

Reason for that is Tatum was not known as a 3-point shooter in college.

Leonard will not be the PF, it will be Tatum.

Hayward played a lot of 2 guard with the Jazz.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 1:15 pm

gyso

True.

But remember a year ago there were Celtic fans here who were upset when Ainge traded IT for Kyrie?

After a few months into the season, every Celtic fan fell in love with Kyrie.

Don't get me wrong, I think this current group of Celtics will be fine next year and many more years to come.
The only problem is I don't think we can beat GSW with this current group of players.

I don't think Kawhi is broken.

Lebron averaged 33.6 ppg versus Boston in the east finals this year.
That's just too high.
Celts need to find a solution for that.

But if you're going to tell me that we'll just wait when Lebron retires and KD gets old then that's also fine with me.
The Celts are built to win for the next 10 years anyway.

Where's the fun in that?

I think the Celts can be champs next year if they upgrade this summer.

If Kyrie and Hayward will be healthy next season, I think the Celts will reach the finals but will fall short to GSW.
That's why I want an upgrade.

fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 1:25 pm

The main problem is there can only be 5 players on the court.

Kyrie
Hayward
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Smart

That's 6 players.

Rozier is not even on that.

Brad Stevens will play Marcus Smart late in the 4th qtr. because of his defense.
One of the 3 among Hayward, Brown, and Tatum will be on the bench in crunch time.

Clearly the Celts have a surplus of talent.

We all know Smart is not a good shooter.
It's like playing 4 on 5 on offense with Smart on the court.
Having Kawhi Leonard gives the Celts excellent defense and offense.
Marcus Smart is suddenly not as valuable if you have a guy like Kawhi Leonard.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm

dboss wrote:
fierce wrote:Just look at the GSW vs. Houston Game 7 a few hours ago.

That's just how it is.

That's 73 wins!

The rest is history.

Fierce As you know from the trade machine that you shared a deal for Leonard would take more than Brown and Rozier.  You need 7 players to make the deal work and the spurs would be bound to extract a very heavy price because they would also want a pick or two.  They fleece us instead of us fleecing them.

I think that Brown has a real opportunity to  equal what Leonard can do.  Brown averaged more points in his second year than Leonard did in his third year.  Brown is 21 and Leonard at 26 has missed a lot of games.  He looks injury prone.

Just thought I would throw this little wrinkle in the mix in an attempt to dissuade you from believing that a deal for Leonard is in the best interest of this team.

I think that you are the one who is in denial.  With all due respect the argument that you are making looks like a slice of swiss cheese.

Same thing happened a year ago when the rumors started spreading that the Kyrie was unhappy with the Cavs and he wants to be traded.

Nobody here expected what Ainge did and it was a surprise to all of us when Ainge traded for Kyrie.

There's just too much young talent on this team.

In the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr., you can only play 5 players at any given time.

The Celts' best 5 for next season will be:

Kyrie
Tatum
Horford
Hayward
Smart

That will be the lineup that Brad Stevens will use against the Cavs or Warriors.

Brown and Rozier will be on the bench in crunch time.

I'd rather have Kawhi replacing Smart in that lineup.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Since we have not seen a rotations that includes Irving and Hayward it may be a bit premature to make any assumptions on who will be the crunch time guys.

I agree that Leonard if healthy gives us excellent defense and offense but at the same time he takes something away because you have to empty your bank account to get him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next