House for 3
NickFaldo
pete
Mooltrikon
LilRip
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

forget Lebron, the Magic are STACKED! Empty forget Lebron, the Magic are STACKED!

Post by LilRip Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 pm

browsing through the rosters, i feel we (as Celtics fans) have overlooked the Magic. we've talked about the Cavs, Lakers and even the Spurs and Nuggets to an extent, but rarely were the Magic brought up except when they acquired VC.

and honest-to-goodness, this Magic team is SCARY!! we always talk about how big KG's return is, and that's true. but the Magic also had that in the offseason in the form of Jameer Nelson (who plays at an all-star level and who, more importantly, brings stability to their team). VC is also better than Hedo (who was useless against Ariza). Gortat would be a starting Center for a lotta teams out there. and Bass is underrated. then there's Rashard, Pietrus and Dwight who we all know about.

this team is deep. real deep. and they could legitimately make it back to the finals. We have a 2nd 5 of Sheed, Baby, Quis, House and Tony Allen (?); they have a 2nd 5 of Gortat, Ryan Anderson (who's a lights-out shooter), Pietrus, Matt Barnes, and Anthony Johnson/Jason Williams. and if JJ Redick can contribute anything, then i guess that's a bonus for them. this Magic team is deep at all positions. i actually think they pose more of a threat to us than the Cavs.

your thoughts?

- LilRip
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

forget Lebron, the Magic are STACKED! Empty Re: forget Lebron, the Magic are STACKED!

Post by LilRip Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm

PS: thanks to the mods/admin for changing the font color of the names! Smile

- LilRip
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

forget Lebron, the Magic are STACKED! Empty Re: forget Lebron, the Magic are STACKED!

Post by Mooltrikon Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:14 pm

"Pete" fixed the font colors He deserves the credit. But I think the other administrators helped him some, too.
Mooltrikon
Mooltrikon

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Mool,

You are right, it was a team effort! Now you are all yellow (LOL)

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooltrikon Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Pete,

We may all be yellow, but you are looking red in the face. LOL
Mooltrikon
Mooltrikon

Back to top Go down

Post by NickFaldo Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 pm

Pete, if there's a lighter shade of red, you might want to use it. Maybe also a brighter white for the posts or a lighter green for the background, though I can tell you're trying to have different shades of green. It could be just me, and I'm on the internet too much causing my eyes to go blurry.

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down

Post by NickFaldo Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Who knows with Orlando. They lost Turkulu, sorry for my spelling, but they gained some other players. I think Cleveland might be in for some trouble. They had the great regular season then didn't even make the finals. Shaq is a hall of famer, but he's 38 or close. He clearly can't keep up with Perk. The doom and gloom could increase, if the doubts about LeBron staying escalate. We could lose Rondo and find a point guard. Not that I want Rondo to go anywhere. If Cleveland loses LeBron, then that could be a new curse. I don't see why LeBron would go to the Knicks like is rumored. If Cleveland can't put a good team around him, I'm not sure how the Knicks could. I think LeBron might end up on a team closest to winning a title. KG picked the C's after we acquired Ray. We were then his best chance. Shaq went to LA after playing with the Heat. The Celtics don't appear to have any holes. KG has done everything possible to fix his knee. How old is Perk? Is he even 25 yet? Maybe Perk could morph into the next Bill Russell. He looked fast in the last game. I'm sure he'd be gobbling up plenty more rebounds if KG, Pierce, and Rondo weren't on the team. He can definitely block shots. Cleveland looks scared. I'm looking forward to see how the Magic develop. I wasn't scared of them last year, even without KG. I can't think of any team that scares me. I'm provincial, but still, it's the Celtics who are stacked, if any team is. Maybe it's for the best that ESPN and others are gushing all over the Lakers. The Celtics need a bit of hunger, maybe not the kind Sweetney has.... Sorry I couldn't resist. I wish Sweetney the best, and hopefully he will rejoin the team soon. Uhm, I do reserve the right to change my mind about the Cavs when Leon returns.

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:06 pm

Mool,

Good one. ya got me!

Nick, I'm pretty sure we will be fine tuning as time goes on, thanks for the feedback.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by House for 3 Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:49 am

I watched some of the Magic/Hawks game on ESPN night and was kind of amazed at how deep that team is. They are loaded with really good players. I guess they will start Howard, Lewis, Carter, Pietrus, and Nelson. that is a great starting 5. Coming off the bench they have Ryan Anderson, Gortat, White Chocolate, Brandon Bass, JJ Redick, Matt Barnes, and probably either Anthony or Linton Johnson. That is loaded. Anderson is really good - he can shoot and rebound, and is surprisingly athletic (or "athaletic," as announcers like to say). He gave the Cs some problems last year. Some people have killed the Gortat signing as way overpaying for a guy who hasn't done much, but whenever I see him play I've been very impressed. He has a pretty well-developed offensive game. Jason Williams is still a fantastic ballhandler and slick passer, and doesn't seem to need to make the flashy, bad play that used to kill him. Bass is a great example of the energetic, undersized power forwards which are in vogue right now. Redick can shoot, whatever his other faults, and actually made a number of nice passes and defensive plays last night. If Matt Barnes is your 10/11 player, you are doing well.

And I hate to see Pietrus out there. He really killed the Cs last year, with some great defense and a bucket-load of clutch 3s. Avery Johnson, dumbass that he is, no sooner got through saying at halftime that Jameer Nelson looked like he wasn't all the way back from his injury, than Nelson proceeded to shred the Hawks with a variety of sweet, smooth, and explosive plays. He is a very, very good PG. And just imagine if Dwight Howard learned a few offensive moves.

There is plenty of reason to be worried about these guys.

House for 3

Back to top Go down

Post by LilRip Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Hf3,

i missed that game, but i think i caught the boxscore of that one. my cousin saw it tho and said he was very impressed with Ryan Anderson. damn. let's hope the C's end up with the number 1 seed so that they wont have to face both Orlando and Cleveland (who i assume will pick up seeds #2 and 3)
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Orlando is def younger and more athletic. And boy are they deep. One thing in our favor WE GOT WAY TALLER these new guys are big.

Another thing in our favor. Our guys have a serious nasty streak. Vince and Dwight are dangerous but they dont have that last inch of steel that wins when it counts.

But fellas I think the Magic are second only to the lakes. A tad ahead of the Spurs.

Very scary team. Cant wait for our boys to face off agin em.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm

LilRip...I've got to agree....I said over on the troll board, I think that the Magic have stepped forward and Cleveland back...and that the Magic are the biggest threat to the C's in the east...course it's early yet, and this all could change, but you are right, Orlando looks tough...
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:01 pm

First of all, it isn’t at all clear to me that that as Rip proclaims, Vince Carter is better than Hedo Turkoglu. Their stats are VERY similar, and if Hedo averaging 18 / 5 / 4 in the finals against Ariza constitutes being “useless”, I will take useless on my team any day.

Ppg rpg apg mpg games
VC 20.8 5.5 4.3 36.8 80
HT 16.8 5.3 4.9 36.6 77

If you go down the roster, it is very very close and I think the Magic are a solid team. In the end it will again come down to the bench, as the Magic have no one to match up with Daniels and Sheed.

Will be interesting to say the least.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:04 pm

jeb65 wrote:Orlando is def younger and more athletic. And boy are they deep. One thing in our favor WE GOT WAY TALLER these new guys are big.

Another thing in our favor. Our guys have a serious nasty streak. Vince and Dwight are dangerous but they dont have that last inch of steel that wins when it counts.

But fellas I think the Magic are second only to the lakes. A tad ahead of the Spurs.

Jeb

Jeb-

I think you're dead on. Orlando is the deepest team in the NBA and they are def the Cs biggest competition in the East.

The big questions will come down to Howard's offensive development (or lack thereof) and Cater's heart/willingness to play defense.

And yes, they haven't shown the type of mean streak needed to win it all. Don't know if they have it.

Cs have it. Lakers didn't have it in 2008 and it cost them, but got it last year, as we saw in the LA-Boston game at the Garden. Adding Artest only amps it up.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Sky

Yall got one dead eyed killer. Kobe. Gasol is very very good. Odom and Bynum are very good. We got three guys that have it and if Sheed is really suited up four.

Orlando has more talent than anyone but gave away their only icewater guy for Vince. As long and deep and young as they are I feel we can handle em. I also got to say Sky that the teams that make me most nervous (and should you as well with the Lakes) Are the Chicago and Atlantas that have blazing speed and a young guy chip.

Against you guys. Both teams healthy I like our chances but to say I am sure would be buttering the bread a tad. I THINK ticket can bug Gasol enough that we win in 7.

I cant wait to play Orlando and the Lakers. But first tonight we got to deal with this rabid wolverine named Rose.
Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LilRip Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:23 am

yes, Hedo did not perform well against Ariza for the most part. Ariza was faster and stronger and that took away some of Turkoglu's playmaking abilities. of course he'll get his numbers, but numbers don't tell the whole picture. Remember how we usually say that Perk goes up against Dwight very well? well, Dwight still averaged 17ppg and 16rpg with 4 bpg against us last year. if anything GSW and the Hornets and the Grizzlies all handle Dwight better than we do. but we all know that's not true. Dwight can get his numbers from putbacks, or if Perk isn't on the floor. but put him in a one-on-one post up against Perk, and Dwight will struggle. in the same way, Hedo can get his points from spot ups, fast breaks, etc. but put him in an iso or "last-second situation" against Ariza (which hedo was so often counted on in that Magic team) and he will struggle.

VC and Hedo do have very similar regular season stats, and one can claim that one is a better fit than the other. i just happen to think that VC is the superior basketball player than Hedo in all aspects (defending, shooting, athleticism, playmaking, etc.)
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Carter now has an ankle sprain...how will this affect him...didn't seem to affect Orlando much last night....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:59 pm

jeb65 wrote:Sky

Yall got one dead eyed killer. Kobe. Gasol is very very good. Odom and Bynum are very good. We got three guys that have it and if Sheed is really suited up four.

Against you guys. Both teams healthy I like our chances but to say I am sure would be buttering the bread a tad. I THINK ticket can bug Gasol enough that we win in 7.

I cant wait to play Orlando and the Lakers. But first tonight we got to deal with this rabid wolverine named Rose.
Jeb

Kobe def has it. Fisher has always had it as well. (Did you see the headbutt of Scola in the playoffs ?) I think after the '08 Finals humiliation, with so much blame pointed squarely at them, both Odom and Gasol came back tougher and meaner last year.

You could see it with Odom, who's always been a nice guy/ Ferdinand the bull-type in the past, when he and KG got into each others faces in that game in the Garden last year. IN the past, LO would have backed down, but he didn't last year. He then went on to make a lot of the biggest plays for LA down the stretch and in OT. INstead of shying away from the moment, he finally stepped into it. He did it again against the Cavs a few days later, when he absolutely took the game over when LA was floundering. HE learned how to exert his will on the game at crucial points last year, and it really paid off in the playoffs, as there were a few times where nothing was working for LA and Odom stepped up and took over the game.

Gasol got physically stronger and mentally tougher. That was clearly on display vs Dwight Howard in the Finals, as Pau guarded him most of those games and did a very good job. He was obviously getting a lot of help via doubles, but still, it was a huge leap for him from the previous year. He also became more assertive and physical in the low post last year and made big plays in the clutch time and again. In fact, the biggest thing slowing Gasol down in last year's playoffs was that his teammates didn't give him the ball enough, despite his insanely efficient production. It was mind-boggling.

I can't wait for LA- Boston and LA-Orlando and Boston-Orlando. Those games will be great.

I think if everyone is healthy for both teams, an LA-Boston series is going 7. IMO LA would win, but it could easily go either way.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:54 pm

Sky,
I'm with you on Gasol. I am a believer now with him. But with a caveat. Only when he is facing the hoop on O. He's worthless with his back to the basket. He played very good d all year last year.

But Sky as far as Odom goes I still think his heart pumps koolaid. He don't worry me at all. Bynum is a way bigger threat in my book. I just think we got the size this year to disrupt Odom.

But in that spirit you know your hoop and I respect your thoughts. Just cant go there with you on Odom. He'll have to show me against the Celtics this year.

I think we have a season we are all going to remember good or ill for the rest of our lives.

And that is beautiful.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:57 pm

Yep- we're going to remember this season for a long long time.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:31 pm

Jeb,

It's funny how different players strike different people in different ways. (Whatever that means.)

I think Odom has the ability to be the biggest difference-maker other than Kobe on the Lakers team—and also the biggest matchup challenge. When he gets on a roll, he can be a terror.

It's his inconsistency that I feel keeps him from being an elite player. Sometimes it's a roll; sometimes it's butter. (How's that for super-inventive writing?)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:00 am

Sam
The only way I know to explain it is his eyes go funny in crunch time. He can disappear. If he is going against inferior talent he dominates. But if the sand gets kicked back into his face he gets sweaty and ceases to be.

Talent wise he is frightening. But he don't worry me a bit. it is funny how different people perceive the same thing but that's what keeps the pot simmerin.

Best

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LilRip Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:06 am

Odom played a huge role in that Orl-LA finals. he may not be making the clutch baskets, but his help defense and rebounding really helped the Lakers in that series. inconsistency is why he's not an all-star, but he can produce at an all-star level more often than not.
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:17 am

LilRip

He will have to show me what he is against the Celtics who are not the Magic or some other lesser club.

When he is on he is a killer. I think we own him.

But that's just me.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:04 pm

OKC destroys the Magic tonight by 30+ points.

Stacked?!!!

How about wacked! Razz

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next