does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Go down

does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by kdp59 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 am



asking because:

Gorman doesn’t think it’s likely the Celtics trade Irving but if the team is serious in its pursuit of Pelicans big man Anthony Davis, Irving might have to be part of any legitimate offer the Celtics make. “Again, if you’re talking about the big guy from New Orleans [Anthony Davis] then you’re going to have to be talking about a really really, good player going back the other way. And that’s the only other player that the Celtics really would put everyone on the table for.” – via Celtics Blog
Top Rumors, Trade, Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics, New Orleans Pelicans

Irving is under contract this season and then has an opt out. The assumption has been all along that he would decline the player option and then sign a max-deal with Boston who can pay him the most money. Slam dunk right? Gorman says he doesn’t “think it’s a given” anymore. “I think Kyrie’s record over the course of his career would tell you that injuries have been a problem,” said Gorman. “I think you have to be smart here and look at what the facts are, and understand that they may be a problem going forward too.” – via Celtics Blog



I agree 100% about irving's Injury history in relation to a max deal. Something that needs to be considered, IMO.

in 7 season now, he's only played 70 or more three times, the most being 75 games. a Max contract player doesn't help much sitting out for large chunks.
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3744
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by mulcogiseng on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:16 pm

I would think that Horford would be a much better max candidate to include in a trade for Davis.

In terms of the question I would think absolutely. Who is around the team and management more? There are clearly times that he has shared information that others didn't have. Yet he doesn't go overboard and that keeps him in the know. There are also times he gets surprised by Danny.lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie signs a very team friendly deal for a short period, like one or two years, to help in the transition of contracts so the core can stay intact. Kind of like how Durant did in Oakland.

I think that multi millionaire NBA players are more and more realizing that playing for something more than dollars is the way to go. They don't want to wait for the end of their careers to try and make a move and play for a championship.

After decades of plantation mentality management, players have started to flex their hard earned muscle in contract negotiations. At first it was all about leaving to secure a better payday, "for the family". But LeBron invented "taking your talents" to form the first player initiated "Big Three" and Durant maximized it quickly. I think it's good for the game.

I just saw TRo on First Take this morning and what a great interview. He said that all the young players want to keep it together. He reiterated that Kyrie is the starting pg and that they can work out the minutes. Scary Terry has arrived.

When players talk like that instead of talking about Brinks trucks getting backed up to the door it becomes easier for Danny to put the right deals together.

I agree with Danny that he only needs to tweak a little. Which one of us will change our mind first? Basketball
avatar
mulcogiseng

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2009-10-21
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:26 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:I would think that Horford would be a much better max candidate to include in a trade for Davis.

In terms of the question I would think absolutely. Who is  around the team and management more? There are clearly times that he has shared information that others didn't have. Yet he doesn't go overboard and that keeps him in the know. There are also times he gets surprised by Danny.lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie signs a very team friendly deal for a short period, like one or two years, to help in the transition of contracts so the core can stay intact. Kind of like how Durant did in Oakland.

I think that multi millionaire NBA players are more and more realizing that playing for something more than dollars is the way to go. They don't want to wait for the end of their careers to try and make a move and play for a championship.

After decades of plantation mentality management, players have started to flex their hard earned muscle in contract negotiations. At first it was all about leaving to secure a better payday, "for the family". But LeBron invented "taking your talents" to form the first player initiated "Big Three" and Durant maximized it quickly. I think it's good for the game.

I just saw TRo on First Take this morning and what a great interview. He said that all the young players want to keep it together. He reiterated that Kyrie is the starting pg and that they can work out the minutes. Scary Terry has arrived.

When players talk like that instead of talking about Brinks trucks getting backed up to the door it becomes easier for Danny to put the right deals together.

I agree with Danny that he only needs to tweak a little. Which one of us will change our mind first? Basketball


mulcogi,

I don't think there is a chance of a snowflake in Hell that NOP would be willing to take 32 year old Al Horford as the salary centerpiece in a trade for Anthony Davis.  If they did, then Tatum and the Sacto pick would be gone too.  I love Al but he isn't The Brow, which means that SERIOUS value would have to be added to the deal to make it palatable to them and future draft picks of as-yet undetermined position ain't gonna cut it.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 37939
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by dboss on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I like Gorman but the idea that Irving would be part of a deal for AD ignores the fact that Holiday signed a max deal good through 2021.  Are we to believe they want Kyrie?

I do not believe that.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8607
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by dboss on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 pm

The Celtics have enough to win now.  They will need to bring in a young center but they do not have to do that asap.

Give me a tweak.  I want to see this group together gor a while.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 8607
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm

dboss wrote:The Celtics have enough to win now.  They will need to bring in a young center but they do not have to do that asap.

Give me a tweak.  I want to see this group together gor a while.


dboss,

I agree.  We have a huge amount of additional firepower coming next year in Kyrie and Gordon.  We took LeBron to 7 without them.  With them...?  We just saw that Rozier and Brown wilted in the final game.  I don't see that happening with Kyrie, and probably not with Hayward neither.

If there is one thing about Danny it is that while he is decisive and isn't afraid to pull the trigger, repeatedly if necessary, he also doesn't panic sell.


bob



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 37939
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by mulcogiseng on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm

To be honest Bob, I don't think that there's a snowflakes chance in Phoenix that NO would do any deal right now. They can't wait to get Davis and Boogie back on the court. The old fashioned way was to trade like for like by position so a big for a big. But if we trade Kyrie can we get Rondo back? Didn't think so. lol

But the reality is that if a max player like Davis needs a max going back then that's Kyrie, Al, or Gordon. Kyrie would be much more valuable dealt to another team in terms of what would come back and I think that was part of what Gorman was getting at. But after what NO did in the playoffs they aren't likely to make a deal, not one that Danny would go for. But ya never know. Like I said before I think it more likely that Kyrie signs for less than max on a short deal.
avatar
mulcogiseng

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2009-10-21
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by kdp59 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

I was talking more about the Max contract for Irving stuff more so than the trade one

sorry.
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3744
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by wideclyde on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:35 pm

If I were the GM in New Orleans there is no way that I would trade Davis to the Cs for anything less than Irving, Tatum and 3 number ones, and might not even do a trade without adding Brown to the deal instead of perhaps one of the three draft picks.

This guy (Davis) is one of the top three players in the league, has never complained about anything in N.O., and is signed to a very reasonable contract for at least three more years so I would think that he is as untouchable as a player can be.  He is Tim Duncanesque already and is only in his mid twenties with, so far, no serious injuries.

Every team would love to have him, but every team that would really want him would certainly have to gut its core younger, starlike players such as Tatum and Brown, plus a boat load of draft picks and a star player like Irving to get him.


Last edited by wideclyde on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

wideclyde

Posts : 1700
Join date : 2015-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:54 pm





bob



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 37939
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by Ktronic1 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 pm

wideclyde wrote:If I were the GM in New Orleans there is no way that I would trade Davis to the Cs for anything less than Irving, Tatum and 3 number ones, and might not even do a trade without adding Brown to the deal instead of perhaps one of the three draft picks.

This guy (Davis) is one of the top three players in the league, has never complained about anything in N.O., and is signed to a very reasonable contract for at least three more years so I would think that he is as untouchable as a player can be.  He is Tim Duncanesque already and is only in his mid twenties with, so far, no serious injuries.

Every team would love to have him, but every team that would really want him would certainly have to gut its core younger, starlike players such as Tatum and Brown, plus a boat load of draft picks and a star player like Irving to get him.

And he too is injury prone. just saying.....
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3693
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Dboss, I totally agree with you.  I have been saying this all along. Why in the hell would they ever trade the cornerstone of their ball club? What a way to turn your fans against you. He is young, a fantastic player and brought the team almost single handedly to the playoffs.
Nothing has been said about Bogie either.

I love Mike Gorman, but in the last couple of years he has thrown some way out theories that people think are real because he is so close to the team.  I think he would be wise to temper his statements a little.

I also think it puts Danny in light of having a trigger finger, and who wants to come to a club with that in mind?  Bad image to project as far as I am concerned.

There are more rumors about Townes from Minnesota, although WoJo says they would get rid of the coach first before getting rid of a young, talented player
avatar
RosalieTCeltics

Posts : 17718
Join date : 2009-10-17
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by atcross on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm

I still follow Rondo and all indications are that Gentry, Davis, Holiday, Mirotic, and Cousins all love Rondo and love playing with him. Talk is cheap but everyone suggests that bringing Rondo back is key to next season for them. In general NO feels like they have a great chemistry and very bright future as is. The only question is whether they can afford to, and should, sign Cousins. They seemed to play better without him because it left RR free to run the show and run. I don't detect anything coming out of there that would give me any reason to believe they would trade Davis under any circumstance or that Davis would want to leave. Maybe if they don't bring RR back and lose a couple other players he would change on that.

I didn't listen to the Gorman interview but I suspect he was just responding to the hypothetical. IF the Cs were serious about Davis THEN they would have to give up Irving and who knows what else to get him. IF/THEN. Davis might like to come to Boston IF things go sour in NO but there's no indication of that happening. So fuggedaboutit.

atcross

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: does Gorman typically have any insider info?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum