Rondo signs with LAL

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Rondo signs with LAL

Post by atcross on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:28 am

Rondo has never disrupted a team. He's disrupted a couple of coaches. He butted heads with Rivers but he was Doc's starting PG and won a championship with him. And as a very young PG he managed to distribute the ball to three veteran HOFers to great effect. His relationship with micromanager Carlisle was doomed from the start, with Carlisle openly saying he didn't want Rondo. Then he went to Sacto and led the league in assists. Then to Chicago where, once management stopped playing games with the PG position, he took over and led them to the playoffs and two away wins against us until his injury. Then he went to NO and, despite their loss of Cousins, led them to a good season and surprising playoffs record. So to suggest he has ever disrupted a team seems baseless. Players on all of those teams have raved about what a great presence he brings both on and off the court. Rondo has matured and will be a head coach the day he hangs 'em up. I don't know about Walton but I'm confident James and Magic know who he is and what he brings to a team.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 am

Ktronic-I have no doubt about Rondo's ability. You say he was not a problem here in Boston? That last year, his first (?) or second (?) with Stevens, we watched Stevens make calls that Rondo ignored. Who here on the forum remembers Rondo banging the heck out of the ball until 5 seconds or so left and expecting someone to make a shot? He did what he thought was best.

Remember his short stint with Dallas?? Carlisle would put up with none of that and sent him home packing.

Rondo is a talented guy,a pass first player, what happens when LeBron wants the ball to take it up the court. Where does that leave Rondo? He is not a shooter, he is a passer and play setter up player. I know he is intelligent, but, he has been on 5 teams going on 6, there is a reason for his bouncing around..

I wish Luke Walton good luck, he has his hands full with this lineup, if it stays this way. Maybe some will be gone by February
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm

worcester wrote:Rondo did not disrupt the Celtics. He had attitude and did not play D in his lat year after the knee injury, but he was not disruptive.
He was a problem in Dallas since he was way smarter than Carlisle who was mismanaging the team.
He played great in Sacto and Chicago where he was a boon to both teams and a guiding force to rehab each team.

Ditto in NO.

Rondo is an asset. Those who think he's disruptive in the locker room haven't looked closely enough since his stint with the Mavs.

I had great respect for Carlisle. I've watched career because he originally played college ball at University of Maine and I thought he was a very smart player for the Celtics back in the day. However, Rondo's time with Carlisle as his coach exposed Carlisle's inflexibility to plan using the strengths of his players. They knew what Rondo's skill set was, traded for him anyway and did not change their game plan one bit. That was a fail on their part. Then the issue with Noel getting no playing time for a losing team helped solidify my opinion of Carlisle.

That certainly would not have happened if Brad Stevens was the coach.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:56 pm

worcester wrote:Rondo did not disrupt the Celtics. He had attitude and did not play D in his lat year after the knee injury, but he was not disruptive.
He was a problem in Dallas since he was way smarter than Carlisle who was mismanaging the team.
He played great in Sacto and Chicago where he was a boon to both teams and a guiding force to rehab each team.

Ditto in NO.

Rondo is an asset. Those who think he's disruptive in the locker room haven't looked closely enough since his stint with the Mavs.

+100 !!
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 pm

The question for me isnt the disruptive nature of Rondo, but what his signing says about Lonzo?

If he was your guy, your all world PG - WTF are you signing another PG who is clearly going to want to play. Rondo is not a back up yet, so not seeing how this works.

Oh and this

mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 pm

gyso wrote:

Ditto in NO.

I had great respect for Carlisle.  I've watched career because he originally played college ball at University of Maine and I thought he was a very smart player for the Celtics back in the day.  However, Rondo's time with Carlisle as his coach exposed Carlisle's inflexibility to plan using the strengths of his players.  They knew what Rondo's skill set was, traded for him anyway and did not change their game plan one bit.  That was a fail on their part.  Then the issue with Noel getting no playing time for a losing team helped solidify my opinion of Carlisle.

That certainly would not have happened if Brad Stevens was the coach.

gyso
+100
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:The question for me isnt the disruptive nature of Rondo, but what his signing says about Lonzo?

If he was your guy, your all world PG - WTF are you signing another PG who is clearly going to want to play.  Rondo is not a back up yet, so not seeing how this works.

Oh and this

Hi,
Maybe it was Lebron's condition. Or, perhaps they gather players so they could trade some of their young core for Leonard.

AK
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Ktronic-I have no doubt about Rondo's ability.  You say he was not a problem here in Boston? That last year, his first (?) or second (?) with Stevens, we watched Stevens make calls that Rondo ignored.  Who here on the forum remembers Rondo banging the heck out of the ball until 5 seconds or so left and expecting someone to make a shot? He did what he thought was best.  

Remember his short stint with Dallas?? Carlisle would put up with none of that and sent him home packing.

Rondo is a talented guy,a pass first player, what happens when LeBron wants the ball to take it up the court. Where does that leave Rondo? He is not a shooter, he is a passer and play setter up player. I know he is intelligent, but, he has been on 5 teams going on 6, there is a reason for his bouncing around..

I wish Luke Walton good luck, he has his hands full with this lineup, if it stays this way. Maybe some will be gone by February

I never said that there weren’t any problems while he was in Boston but I did say his pluses outweigh his minus’. His short stint in Dallas was more Carlisle’s fault than Rondo. They traded for him knowing what his strengths were but continued to design and run plays that did not lend to his strengths. Sorry, that’s on Dallas.
I know you hate Lebron and I don’t particularly care for some of the things he pulls either but one thing for sure is that LeBron is smart and will only help make Rondo better. Yes. Luke Walton has his hands full. He is in for it. I wish him no luck at all.
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:30 pm

I watched some of the Mavs games when Rondo was traded there and they were hard to watch. It appeared that Carlisle was actually ignoring Rondo's skills and/or trying to make him fail (i.e., the opposite of Stevens.) What coach in their right mind has Rondo go to the corner to wait for a dish out three? Repeatedly. I did a little research and found that Carlisle had a pretty bullheaded reputation of his own. Like fire and water, one gets put out, the other steamed.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Yes, I am not a LeBron fan but that has nothing to do with what I am saying here. You have Rondo, Stephenson, Lonzo, and LeBron. This is going to make or break Walton. You saw it happen in Cleveland, Magic knows what he is doing. So, move on. Actually, it may be interesting to see how all of this plays out. These guys will probably be gone next year
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi,
Following Rosalie's comment about "interesting":
https://sports.yahoo.com/california-dreamin-lebron-cast-lakers-misfits-will-cant-miss-entertainment-150918469.html

AK
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:09 pm

sinus007 wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:The question for me isnt the disruptive nature of Rondo, but what his signing says about Lonzo?

If he was your guy, your all world PG - WTF are you signing another PG who is clearly going to want to play.  Rondo is not a back up yet, so not seeing how this works.

Oh and this

Hi,
Maybe it was Lebron's condition. Or, perhaps they gather players so they could trade some of their young core for Leonard.

AK
Maybe Lebron doesn`t want to be the only guy on the team who can bring the ball up and distribute it any more, but did so out of necessity in Cleveland.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:52 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Following Rosalie's comment about "interesting":
https://sports.yahoo.com/california-dreamin-lebron-cast-lakers-misfits-will-cant-miss-entertainment-150918469.html

AK

I should get royalties on the "Misfit Toys" reference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Despite my earlier posts questioning whether Lebron and Rondo (two ball dominant players) complement each other, I am becoming a little intrigued. They are probably two of the smartest players in the game, so it will be interesting to see whether their high bbiq's synergize, cancel, or something in between. At the very least, it will be entertaining to see Lavar lose it as Rondo starts taking Lonzo's minutes.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Considering the type of player Ball seems to want to be, he should be thrilled to have Rondo to mentor him. And while I normally only watch every Cs game (a hundred games a year is enough basketball for me for one year) I will be tempted to watch that team whose name shall not be said just to see Rondo and James play together. And I bet Kobe is thinking of coming out of retirement.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
Maybe Lebron doesn`t want to be the only guy on the team who can bring the ball up and distribute it any more, but did so out of necessity in Cleveland.

Didnt they use the #2 pick last season to draft a PG?

Not sure why so many are assuming Magic knows WTF he is doing. I have seen very little evidence of it to this point.
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Magic whiffed on Lonzo but hit a homer with Kuzma.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Ditto in NO.

+ 1 . Celts might not have gotten out of the first round in 17 if Rondo hadn`t been injured . He was on a mission and he was killing us.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:57 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Walton handles these personalities. Despite the talent boost, he seriously has his work cut out for him.

Rondo and Lebron can probably play well together, both being veterans with championship experience.

KJ
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:30 am

my bet is that RR will work well with Walton, as he too is a hi bbiq guy.  

and i still propose that Rondo will be a terrific mentor to Lonzo. he's done a lot of that in this later stage of his career.
plus, look at Lonzo's current rep - ineffective shooter and pass first pg, so defenders sag off him; but good or better court vision.  
sound something like RR as a young player ?

RR got to the bucket better than Lonzo does now.  that'd be a good skill set for Lonzo to start building, so he's more of a threat than just a passer.

my 2 cents
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:51 pm

A team with 2 point guards? Imagine that . Revolutionary! Nobody  is saying Magic is a roster building genius, but there is no reason to believe Rondo and Lebron can`t play together. My recollection is that the Celtics had 4 point guards last season and needed every one of them.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Not sure if some of you are intentionally missing my point, or just not seeing it.  But THIS was the stance of the team management last season.  

Clearly Rondo is not joining the team to be a backup PG - so what gives?

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/magic-johnson-lonzo-ball-lakers-starting-point-guard/
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:03 pm

The rumor about Ball is that he leaked his own knee injury in order to not be included in a trade. If the other teams know about the injury, they don't even go down the path that ends with a trade. On the other hand, if the other teams do not know about the injury, the trade gets made and reported on by the media. If the knee injury is discovered during the physical, then the team that ends up with Ball receives a second round pick for their troubles and the trade still goes through.

Anyway, that's the rumor. I don't know how much truth there is to it. Basically, Ball wants to stay in LA. The team may not be happy with the shenanigans and may trade him away after his knee recovers, but for now he gets to play with his childhood hero.

Y'all will be reading this in the funny papers soon enough, but it may help explain why the Lakers ended up with two ball-centric non shooting point guards to go along with LeBron.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Thx for the Rumor Central update, gyso.
i thought RR as mentor to Lonzo wasn't a bad idea - and still do -but your description helps make better sense of the situation.
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 pm

I think it can be dumbed down to this: James, Magic, and Kobe all have a Rondo bromance. Regardless of how Rondo + Ball or Rondo v. Ball works out, they wanted Rondo on a team that is designed to win and win now.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next