beat
bobc33
RosalieTCeltics
23 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Marcus Smart Empty Marcus Smart

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Looks like Marcus will be signing with Celtics. 14-15 million three to four year contract. Celtics show on Tonite on Comcast, let's see if they report it. This was a report from Celtics workout today. Good news there
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Empty Re: Marcus Smart

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Good news if true. The money may seem high to some but to me it is worth it for a player who contributes so much to winning regardless of his shooting percentage.

I love summer, but can’t wait until training camp. (Especially if the new Celtics facility is open to the public for practices like the Bruins do next door!)

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Going low years/ high salary that’s only 5 mill a year.

Seems a little low if true.

Figured he’d was to test the waters but maybe not.
Guess we’ll find out the exact numbers soon.

Hope it’s true

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:58 pm

Not sure if Rosie was talking about a per year offer of $14-15 mill.

I do not believe it to be so.

Marcus has not signed an offer sheet with any other team. So I do not believe they are ready to sign him yet.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm

beat wrote:Going low years/ high salary that’s only 5 mill a year.

Hope it’s true

beat

I think it is 14 or 15 Million per season, not total...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

Hope it’s true

beat

If that is the case it defies logic that Boston would cross into luxury tax land even though no other team has put forth an offer which we can match. There is nothing to match at this point.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:14 pm

dboss wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

Hope it’s true

beat

If that is the case it defies logic that Boston would cross into luxury tax land even though no other team has put forth an offer which we can match.  There is nothing to match at this point.

I don't know - heard on a youtube show, chat sports, that it was 14 or 15 per year, but the kid reporting is most certaintly not an insider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtj91tWopYk

Would also seem to defy logic that he would sign for 3 or 4 years for 14 or 15 million. Exum signed for 11 million per year and he played fewer games and minutes and is not as impactful as Smart.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:01 pm

With the Williams signing Boston has approximately $8.4 million in space below the luxury tax threshold of $123.7 million

So for example if Boston resigns Smart to a $10 Million contract the cost would actually be
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 pm

It was a reporter at the Celtic training facility, I cannot remember his name, I will try to find it again. I thought it was per year, which sounded out of whack. But he said they were very near signing, that negotiations were on going and coming to an end soon.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 pm

3 years makes sense. Tatum doesn't get his max until after that contract would be done

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:57 pm

The youtube video is from Chat Sport and they site a source Adam Kauffman NbC Sports Boston.

The last positive I read indicated that Boston does want to resign him but I have no ides where the $13-15 figure came into play.  Sounds like some of the same numbers put out there which are pure speculation.

I do not believe a signing is imminent unless it is for the QO.

I would think that at the very least Marcus has to have an MLE offer on the table.  The Celtics have no reason to negotiate because Marcus is a restricted FA and has no offers that I am aware of from other teams.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Well, whatever that guy was talking about, according to Draper/Blakely/Foresberg, no movement on Smart yet. They feel he
Is waiting as long as he can.  I did see a story on Celtics Blog that they were still in amicable conversations but no decisions. How long will this keep up??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 pm

If they sign him and go over the tax to do it, so what? Now they just have the rest of the summer to shed some salary to get back under the tax.

Trade away salary for draft picks and cash is the easiest way. A likely target is Morris, the best bang for the buck. Yabusele makes under $3M, that isn't enough. Nader also doesn't make enough.

So, Morris it is.

Everything in proper order. Each shoe has to drop when the time is right.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:01 pm

You think they would trade Morris?? Also, is Bird under contract? There is interest out there for him. I kind of hate to see him go, I thought maybe Allen would go first. But I am probably talking small change here. Interesting summer, even with small moves.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:You think they would trade Morris??  Also, is Bird under contract? There is interest out there for him. I kind of hate to see him go, I thought maybe Allen would go first. But I am probably talking small change here. Interesting summer, even with small moves.

I don't know for sure if they will trade Morris, I'm just guessing.  If they sign Smart for the salary being reported in this thread, it will take them over the luxury tax.  I don't believe the Celtics will want to remain there.

Here's who is signed:

Marcus Smart Screen24

Starting from the top salary, who do you think is the first player that is expendable?  It looks like Morris to me, followed by Yabusele and then Nader.  I don't even have to mention Jaylen and Terry (but I did), they stay.  Semi stays, Theis stays and Wanamaker stays.

I don't think Yabusele makes enough by himself and maybe by adding Nader, trading that combo is enough to get under the tax.  Who will want them?

Morris is a starting level player for little money.  Starting level for a non-contending, small market team.  His skill set is totally redundant now for our current team.

So, yes, if we go over the tax with Smart, Morris is more than likely gone.  IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm

So I count 13 players right now. What about Bird? Is he still a two way player and the same for Kadeem Allen? I was not impressed with Allen last year, I see him gone, but Bird,, on the other hand, not only impressed management, he has teams that are interested in him. Philly for one. I wonder if they would keep him. He is on the summer league team.

Also, the rookie isn't listed there, so he has to be counted. I think you may be right, Morris may be the odd man out.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Bird and Allen do not make the above list because they are two-way players.  Maybe they are both gone and we replace them with two other players for that role.

Robert Williams' salary is $1,640,044.  That is not so much to add to the total.

13 players minus Morris plus Williams leaves 13 players.  

Maybe we sign a ring-hunter at the vet minimum.  That makes 14 players.  We should go into the season that way, with one open roster spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Boston Herald and NBCSB reporting the following quote

Marcus Smart Screen16

If Smart is equating his "injury" to the one IT played through, he is more delusional than I thought. First off, his was a wrist not a hip. Second, his own STUPIDITY, is what caused his injury - big difference to Issiah's situation.

I still think this all gets done, but Marcus is getting bad advice. The Celtics are under no obligation to do anything other than sit back and let the market set the price. Sounds to me like Marcus isnt getting any calls - and he is pissed off about it.

Hope they can work it out, but the immaturity on display here sure isnt helping his cause.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:35 pm

The Celtics do not want tp pay the tax next year.  They will become a tax payer for sure when they resign Irving.

All the experts said Marcus would have suitors.  So far no one has asked him to dance.  Danny could have resigned him last year and I think the reason why he did not is partly do to  tight market this year as well as future decisions to be made for guys like Irving and Rozier.

I see no good reason to trade Morris unless it is part of a deal to add someone.  Besides if the team you trade him to is over the cap you take back some salary.  

With the inventory of free agents dwindling along with teams able to spend, the MLE is front and center.  That would put Boston in the tax bracket even if they let Nader go.  

Danny is hoping to retain Marcus for the QO for one year.  He is not going to overpay because his market value is not as high as some people surmise.

Marcus has to make up his mind because another player could emerge and the QO could be withdrawn.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Boston Herald and NBCSB reporting the following quote

Marcus Smart Screen16

If Smart is equating his "injury" to the one IT played through, he is more delusional than I thought.  First off, his was a wrist not a hip.  Second, his own STUPIDITY, is what caused his injury - big difference to Issiah's situation.

I still think this all gets done, but Marcus is getting bad advice.  The Celtics are under no obligation to do anything other than sit back and let the market set the price.  Sounds to me like Marcus isnt getting any calls - and he is pissed off about it.

Hope they can work it out, but the immaturity on display here sure isnt helping his cause.

I just read the Herald article.  I guess this contradicts the article that would leave us to believe it was just a matter of crossing the T's and dotting the i's.  Not sure who the source is but it is foolish to negotiate with Danny through the press.

If Marcus and his agent cannot upsell his value to another team they should not expect anything but the QO from Danny.

If they are waiting for Danny they will wait for ever.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks Rosalie.

I'm in a rainforest in the middle of Madagascar with VERY poor and unreliable Wi Fi. This is great news!

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:09 am

bobheckler wrote:Thanks Rosalie.

I'm in a rainforest in the middle of Madagascar with VERY poor and unreliable Wi Fi.  This is great news!

Bob

Hope you brought an umbrella Bob.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:16 am

you sign Smart to a long term deal at market value AND go into tax territory , because you feel he is an important player on your team.

Morris is one of the top 8 players on this team and IF Ainge moves him for nothing simply to get below the tax line, then this ownership is NOT ready for prime time.

Boston is sitting as one of the top teams in the East and one of the top 4 teams in the NBA next season. If you want to be there you WILL be a tax paying team PERIOD!

Smarts deal at even $15 M per is a bargain , IMO.

BUT if true , it might mean that Irving will be gone at some point, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:10 am

Always tough to guess what they're willing to spend and who they'll keep.

Morris can contribute at a high enough level, especially on D, that he might be worth keeping.

Yabusele and Nader could always be replaced by whoever you find hanging around down at Dunkin' Donuts for less money.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 am

kdp59 wrote:you sign Smart to a long term deal at market value AND go into tax territory , because you feel he is an important player on your team.

Morris is one of the top 8 players on this team and IF Ainge moves him for nothing  simply to get below the tax line, then this ownership is NOT ready for prime time.

Boston is sitting as one of the top teams in the East and one of the top 4 teams in the NBA next season. If you want to be there you WILL be a tax paying team PERIOD!

Smarts deal at even $15 M per is a bargain , IMO.

BUT if true , it might mean that Irving will be gone at some point, IMO.

KDP59

And what might that market value be?  Certainly not $15 million.  There is little doubt that Boston will become a tax paying team.  The question is when are they ready to do that given the punitive nature of the repeater tax.

Marcus may think he is worth more but the "Market" says NO.

Trying to shame Danny and the organization is a nonstarter.  His spokesperson apparently does not know how Danny thinks.  Danny is like the terminator, he has no remorse.  He doesn't feel or love or care.  

Danny is doing exactly what he should be doing.  He is managing his salaries as well if not better than other teams.  How can anyone expect him to offer up more than the QO which was established by the NBA?  Danny has Marcus over a barrel and will not pay a penny more than the $6 million one year QO unless he gets a better offer.  Why give up $9 million more over that if you do not have to.  

Smart can become an UFA next year if he accepts the QO and maybe the market will be kinder.  Smart has given a lot to Boston but the team has given a lot to him as well.  

Danny may still be trying to decide if he is going to keep Terry Rozier.  He is not likely to keep both Smart and Rozier.  Danny would have another year to figure that one out if he can retain Smart at the QO level.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next