Marcus Smart

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by gyso on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Food for thought.

Let's say that we do sign Smart for a 4 year, $14M per year salary. Now we have a mid-sized contract that can be added to another smaller contract, plus a draft pick or two and make a trade in the future for an all-star quality player.

Right now, all we have is three big sized contracts and multiple small contracts. Having a mid-sized contract helps because 5 for 1 trades may often work in the trade machines, but they never seem to become reality. No one wants to trade a star for bits and pieces.

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 13128
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by gyso on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Any talk by Smart and/or his agents is normal these days and only bothers some fans. Many fans do not care about this and no one should suggest that all fans care about this (IMO) non-issue. Proof of this is right here on this board. Many here couldn't care less.

In my opinion, the team management is just waiting to let the market speak. That is normal in the RFA process. I don't think they care one way or another about what Smart and/or his agents say either.

The media is becoming more and more about creating controversy and less and less about reporting news. With the death of the printed word, it has now become all about attracting online attention (AKA click bait).

It sure keeps this board hopping, though. Smile

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 13128
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by dboss on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:03 pm

gyso wrote:Food for thought.  

Let's say that we do sign Smart for a 4 year, $14M per year salary.  Now we have a mid-sized contract that can be added to another smaller contract, plus a draft pick or two and make a trade in the future for an all-star quality player.

Right now, all we have is three big sized contracts and multiple small contracts.  Having a mid-sized contract helps because 5 for 1 trades may often work in the trade machines, but they never seem to become reality.  No one wants to trade a star for bits and pieces.


gyso

That is a good point.  It would help with a salary match in the event of a trade.  That was an idea floated before.  Resign Smart which would make it easy to trade because of his salary.  However I think that situation works best as part of a sign and trade situation.  Otherwise it does not help you avoid the tax for this coming year nor help next year.  Given the apparent lack of interest league wide in offering Marcus an attractive salary, it could also hurt Boston's ability to trade him down the road.  Other teams may look at it as a bad contract and want more draft or higher projected draft assets as compensation.  I think Danny would prefer that Marcus is forced to sign the QO.  

There are options including that war chest of draft assets that can be used to add a replacement player if they do not resign him.

No ideas on this matter are to be impugned.   I find yours to be quite reasonable and therefore a consideration.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9288
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:09 pm

I do not remember seeing any comments other than complimentary about Smart since the season ended. Danny does not do business in the press. So. as I said before, if it is his agent, he is stupid. If there are other teams out there looking for Smart's services, they are not talking.
avatar
RosalieTCeltics

Posts : 18364
Join date : 2009-10-17
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Also if Hayward is the same player he was in 17 playoffs and Jaylen makes another jump in level which is where I expect he is trending, we are gonna have a logjam at wing that will spill over to minutes at the 2. With that logjam and Kyrie at the starting point and another jump in level from Rozier, may not be 30 minutes a game for Smart at both guard positions....good problems to have IMHO.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:25 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:I understand that sometimes its wise not to say anything especially when you’re in the public eye. But Team Owners and Management talk, Coaches Talk, Media folk talk, We talk so no one including athletes SHOULD have to shut their mouth! Js

Hey Kronic1

I believe in Free Speech but Marcus and his spokesperson are not helping his situation.  Fans do not like players talking about how hard they play or how much money they should earn.  It's repugnant and very unprofessional.  It shines unnecessary shade on the Celtics organization.

Marcus did not actually improve year over year by any meaningful measurement.  He once again missed games due to injury caused by both on and off the court situations.  He had to apologize to the team and the fans for losing a fight with a picture frame and as a result not being able to play.    The Celtics and the entire organization has lived up to their obligations to Marcus but he has NOT live up to his obligations to the team during a make it or break it contract year.  

The yapping not only hurts his position with Boston but it may also dissuade other teams from really wanting him.  I think when fans say he needs to shut up this is what is really the thinking.

I'm just saying
DBoss,
I understand what you’re saying and I am cognizant as to how some fans receive the talk coming from a player.
However, most fans don’t even perceive theses athletes to be normal human beings anyway. ‘Play when you’re hurt, quit complaining, be happy you’re getting paid millions, be nice”. Fans are not realistic so as an athlete one has to make a choice as to how much what the fan thinks and feel dictate how you’re going to to act and what you’re going to say and not say.? Can’t live like that. Maybe Marcus and his people are not doing themselves a favor by speaking out but its their right whether we agree or not. I choose to defend their right not to have to shut up!
Also, I disagree that Marcus has not lived up to his obligations. He did some things that turned out not to be beneficial to him and the team but you cant say that when he steps on the court he does not live up to his obligation. He busts his ass out there. He makes mistakes and just like you and I, he is entitled to make mistakes, just not the same over and over. I hear you but I just don’t agree with some of it. Let’s just hope this works out and he sticks around.
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3808
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Kitronic now your talking too much IMHO....
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by dboss on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Kronic

If he missed games by virtue of his own off the court actions he did not live up to his obligations. His playing hard on the court does not change that fact.

avatar
dboss

Posts : 9288
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by dboss on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Ktronic1

Do you think what is coming from his camp is necessary? Do you think it helps his cause when his situation is compared to that of Isaiah Thomas in an effort to paint the Celtics in a very unfavorable light?

I'm sorry but I think he does not help himself. He loses this argument and makes himself look like a self-indulgent and cynical person. Not good for a guy wanting to get paid by Boston or any other team.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9288
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:05 pm

FACT He missed time because of his own stupidity, punching a something, we know he’s a good player, he’s got to man up. The fact no ones beating down his door to sign him confirms there’s still some holes in his game, character and ability to stay on the floor.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Let's all take a breath........Danny is going to sign this guy, how much? I have no idea, but he is not going to tie himself to a contract that will hinder his negotiations next year with his first line players.

Enjoy the rest of the summer league, and the weekend. This will be over before we now it.

Semi and Yabby looked pretty good last night. The kid even looked okay for the short time he was there. I really love the way Semi has improved.
avatar
RosalieTCeltics

Posts : 18364
Join date : 2009-10-17
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by gyso on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:11 pm

We will all be doing this next year with Rozier.  He will be a RFA and everyone will be impatient and jumping to their own conclusions as to why it is taking so long to get him under contract.

Free agency has the same pattern each summer.  First go the unrestricted free agents; the top players, then the next level down and then the end of the rotation guys, in that order.  The restricted free agents take time because making an offer for them ties up cap space for up to three days until the offer is accepted or rejected.  Meanwhile, the teams have to wait.

The teams prefer to deal with the unrestricted free agents because it is a one on one deal that can be finished at that time.  Restricted free agents often do not get any offers for weeks or even never.  They rarely sign for the QO, rather the two sides usually get together eventually and hash out a multi-year contract.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but they are rare.

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 13128
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by swish on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 pm

gyso wrote:Any talk by Smart and/or his agents is normal these days and only bothers some fans.  Many fans do not care about this and no one should suggest that all fans care about this (IMO) non-issue.  Proof of this is right here on this board.  Many here couldn't care less.

In my opinion, the team management is just waiting to let the market speak.  That is normal in the RFA process.  I don't think they care one way or another about what Smart and/or his agents say either.

The media is becoming more and more about creating controversy and less and less about reporting news.   With the death of the printed word, it has now become all about attracting online attention (AKA click bait).

It sure keeps this board hopping, though.  Smile

Just my opinion - but I've felt for years and years, that quite frequently, the fans are the least qualified to pass judgement - But like you say gyso - forums, like this board, sure do flourish. A great way to stay involved in the sports gossip of the day.

  swish

swish

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:57 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitronic now your talking too much IMHO....
My comments weren’t addressed to you. Toys R Us has closed. Too bad. Now where are you going to find a “Speak n Spell”?
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3808
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:59 pm

dboss wrote:Ktronic1

Do you think what is coming from his camp is necessary?  Do you think it helps his cause when his situation is compared to that of Isaiah Thomas in an effort to paint the Celtics in a very unfavorable light?

I'm sorry but I think he does not help himself.  He loses this argument and makes himself look like a self-indulgent and cynical person.  Not good for a guy wanting to get paid by Boston or any other team.
Maybe not. We shall see. I think we all want him back though. I know I do. Now refresh my memory if you can. How did IT paint Boston in a very unfavorable light.


Last edited by Ktronic1 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3808
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:02 pm

dboss wrote:Kronic

If he missed games by virtue of his own off the court actions he did not live up to his obligations.  His playing hard on the court does not change that fact.

That’s fine. We can agree to disagree.
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3808
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by worcester on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:04 pm

I just hope we sign him for a number that does not push us into luxury tax space for 2018-19.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5728
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by gyso on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 pm

worcester wrote:I just hope we sign him for a number that does not push us into luxury tax space for 2018-19.

If signing Smart pushes us over the luxury tax, the team will try to get back under it by whatever means is necessary, IMO. That's the smart move. We just have to wait until he signs and then they will react to that number.

If he takes the QO, then no worries. If he signs a multi-season contract, then the team will have to move one or two players. We have a little over $8M space now (according to Spotrac) with 14 players signed. Smart will make 15.

If Smart signs for $12M, they will have to move $4M. I have expressed what I think that means, we will have to wait to see if I guessed right.

I think Danny knows that Smart is a little upset, but from what I read, Danny plans to meet with him at some point to smooth things over. Danny wants to sign him, but all in good time.

Until then, we wait.

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 13128
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitronic now your talking too much IMHO....
My comments weren’t addressed to you. Toys R Us has closed. Too bad. Now where are you going to find a “Speak n Spell”?

They weren’t addressed to me, this is a board, we all read whatever one posts, doesn’t have to be addressed to me....got it. Speak n Spell....nice weak attempt at something, you always so clever?
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by gyso on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitronic now your talking too much IMHO....
My comments weren’t addressed to you. Toys R Us has closed. Too bad. Now where are you going to find a “Speak n Spell”?

They weren’t addressed to me, this is a board, we all read whatever one posts, doesn’t have to be addressed to me....got it. Speak n Spell....nice weak attempt at something, you always so clever?

Hey you two. Can you guys please stop poking at each other? We don't need the grammar police here and we don't need sarcastic Susan either. Sorry for my lame attempt at humor, but you both know that I cannot help myself. Very Happy

You both are smart guys and you both know what you are doing. Sometimes it cracks me up because it is so obvious. You poke at him and he pokes you back. Hilarious. drunken

We all want the same thing here, #18, quickly followed by #19. Let's try to be less antagonistic towards one another along the path.

Please?

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 13128
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 pm

Devin Booker just signed a huge multi year contract.

Seems like the guys keeping their mouth shut are getting big money. Maybe Marcus should realize he’s a flawed player, as good as he is with if not durability issues, issues staying on the floor.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by worcester on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:03 am

When Marcus scores 70 points in a game at the Garden, he will be getting a big contract too.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 5728
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:04 am

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitronic now your talking too much IMHO....
My comments weren’t addressed to you. Toys R Us has closed. Too bad. Now where are you going to find a “Speak n Spell”?

They weren’t addressed to me, this is a board, we all read whatever one posts, doesn’t have to be addressed to me....got it. Speak n Spell....nice weak attempt at something, you always so clever?

Hey you two.  Can you guys please stop poking at each other?  We don't need the grammar police here and we don't need sarcastic Susan either.  Sorry for my lame attempt at humor, but you both know that I cannot help myself.  Very Happy

You both are smart guys and you both know what you are doing.  Sometimes it cracks me up because it is so obvious.  You poke at him and he pokes you back.  Hilarious.  drunken



We all want the same thing here, #18, quickly followed by #19.  Let's try to be less antagonistic towards one another along the path.

Please?  

was that addressed to me? Just joking Lol
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks Gyso!!!
avatar
RosalieTCeltics

Posts : 18364
Join date : 2009-10-17
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 am

worcester wrote:When Marcus scores 70 points in a game at the Garden, he will be getting a big contract too.

Good one worse, I remember that game very well, AB was injured and Booker scored a lot of those points in Marcus’s face.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14328
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Marcus Smart

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum