Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89

5 posters

Go down

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Empty Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:23 pm

http://www.nba.com/games/20180706/BOSPHI#/sl-recap

Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89
Jul. 6, 2018 7:28 PM ET

By Juan Blanco, Rotowire

LAS VEGAS -- The Boston Celtics utilized a late surge to defeat the Philadelphia 76ers 95-89 in a Las Vegas Summer League contest Friday at Thomas and Mack Center.

Two teams featuring rosters with solid NBA regular-season experience unsurprisingly put on a competitive show for all four quarters, with one performance especially standing out. Furkan Korkmaz, a 2016 first-round pick of the Sixers (0-1), exploded for 40 points on the strength of eight three-pointers.

His impressive sharpshooting almost enabled the Sixers to pull out a victory in a game they trailed in at the end of each quarter. The Celtics (1-0) held a 69-63 lead heading into the final period, but they’d let that slip away in the latter half of the quarter. However, a 6-0 run to close out the game secured the victory for Boston.

The game featured seven lead changes and eight ties overall. Despite Korkmaz’s outstanding shooting, the rest of the Sixers came up woefully short in that area and drained just 36.8 percent of their attempts as a team. The Celtics were much sharper in posting a 48.6 percent success rate from the field, which they complemented with a 75.0 percent mark from the free-throw line.

Korkmaz complemented his aforementioned game-high scoring haul with six rebounds, two assists and one steal. Isaiah Miles was the only other Sixer with double digits in the scoring column, generating 11 points, eight rebounds, two assists and one block.

Norvel Pelle collected eight points, five rebounds, one steal and one block. First-round pick Zhaire Smith followed with seven points, two rebounds, two assists and one steal. Devyn Marble, Devondrick Walker and first-round pick Landry Shamet all had matching six-point tallies.

Two seasoned Celtics (by Summer League standards), Semi Ojeleye and Guerschon Yabusele, co-led Boston with 16-point efforts. Ojeleye added two rebounds, two assists, one steal and one block, while Yabusele also registered seven rebounds, two assists and one steal.

Jabari Bird, who appeared in 13 games with the Celtics during this past regular season, mustered 14 points, eight boards and two assists. Pierria Henry, Jarrod Uthoff and Hassan Martin all contributed eight points apiece. Henry particularly filled out the stat sheet, also pitching in eight assists, seven rebounds and one steal. Jarell Eddie and Kadeem Allen pitched in six points apiece off the bench.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Empty Re: Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89

Post by worcester Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Bird, Martin, Williams, and Semi impressed me. I rally liked everything about Williams - length, strength, speed, winning a jump ball tip, rebounding, shooting from mid-range, defending, and passing. Bird is definitely going to make the final 15 roster. Martin also played like a full grown man. Yabu actually disappointed me despite his stats. Sloppy play.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Empty Re: Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/boston_celtics_defeat_philadel_2.html

Boston Celtics, Semi Ojeleye defeat Philadelphia 76ers 95-89: Five things we learned from Summer League Opener
Updated 7:30 PM; Posted 7:16 PM

Boston Celtics draft pick Robert Williams at the team's training facility in Boston, Tuesday, July 3, 2018. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

shares
By Tom Westerholm
LAS VEGAS -- The Boston Celtics defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 95-89 in their Las Vegas Summer League opener on Friday.

Here are five quick takeaways from the Celtics' win.

1. The Celtics are using Robert Williams the way you would expect.

Watching the Celtics run Williams through his sets (in his brief stint) felt very familiar. Boston likes to use its bigs at the top of the key, running dribble hand-offs and pick-and-rolls (sometimes in the same action). That allows the big to be a playmaker from the top of the key if necessary as well.

Boston likes the way Williams passes and entrusted him at the top of the key frequently. He can't shoot (although he did knock down a mid-range jumper), but he should be able to roll to the hoop and operate as a passer for cutters if he develops.

2. Semi Ojeleye might be too good for Summer League.

Every year, several players look just a little too good for Summer League -- often because they recently played an actual NBA season. This year's Celtics candidate: Ojeleye, who hit threes, cut to the basket for dunks and even finished well around the rim en route to 16 points. It was a good reminder that before he was just a Thick, Jacked Frame coming off the bench as a spot-up shooter last year, he was the best scorer on a tournament SMU team.

3. Furkan Korkmaz might be WAY too good for Summer League.

The Sixers guard self-immolated throughout the game, cashing in 3-pointers from all over the court. He finished with 40, showed some flashes as a passer and earned oohs and aahs every time he lined up a 3-pointer. Late in the fourth quarter, Celtics defenders were flying out to him in a panic whenever he got the ball behind the arc.

Korkmaz probably won't shoot one thousand percent from the 3-point line every night, but if he does, it's pretty fun to watch.

4. Pierria Henry is intriguing as a super-confident ball-handler.

His statline won't blow anyone away, but Henry handled the ball well as the lead guard for the Celtics and ran the show effectively. On a couple of occasions, he broke a defender down off the dribble with an array of crossovers and headfakes.

5. Guerschon Yabusele finished strong.

The Dancing Bear struggled through the first three quarters, but he finished the game with a drive and a big dunk before hitting a 3-point dagger with under a minute remaining. Yabusele might have to prove some things to earn a roster spot this year, but he put together a competent performance on Friday.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 am

http://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/game?gameId=401038126&league=nba-summer-las-vegas

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Screen25

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Screen26

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Screen27

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 am

Summer League Game Recap: Celtics 95, 76ers 89 Screen32

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 am

worcester wrote:Bird, Martin, Williams, and Semi impressed me. I rally liked everything about Williams - length, strength, speed, winning a jump ball tip, rebounding, shooting from mid-range, defending, and passing. Bird is definitely going to make the final 15 roster. Martin also played like a full grown man. Yabu actually disappointed me despite his stats. Sloppy play.

He only played 6 minutes but even in that short stint, I saw the same things from Williams that you did. He has the quickness to defend out to the perimeter almost more like a wing defender.   Seeing his length out there was impressive.  I think the Celtics killed two birds with one stone because this kid can also rebound.  He really gets up fast and high on his jumps and uses those long arms  On offense they used him up top in multiple dribble handoff situations and he seemed comfortable in that roll.  This kid has a lot of work to do but the talent is there. You can see it even in a short 6 minute of playing time.  Brad has a new toy and will be the envy of all the kids in the neighborhood.

Philly looks like they have that much needed dead eyed shooter in Korkmaz.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:32 am

I should also mention the play of a few other guys.

Most impressed with Jabari Bird on offense because he seems to know how to score. I thought we really could have used him during the playoffs but his two-way player status prevented that.

Semi looked like an old pro out there but I think he still needs to carve out space and become a beast on the glass.

Yabuselle has a rather large backside. He only went 1-4 from deep but when it counted he wins the game with his drive off of the screen and dunk and then the cross over step back 3. YES!

Martin did not get a lot of minutes but he has an NBA body. Looks like he can score around the basket. There is a thickness about him that I like.

Interesting that guys like Semi and Yabu seem too good for summer league play. Jason and Jaylen graduated last year. The point being that The Celtics have a really talented collection of young players and their development from year to year is very apparent.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

There's lots of videos here:

http://www.nba.com/games/20180706/BOSPHI#/video

If someone can figure out how to get them to work, please come back and let us know. I am stumped.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 pm

gyso wrote:There's lots of videos here:

http://www.nba.com/games/20180706/BOSPHI#/video

If someone can figure out how to get them to work, please come back and let us know.  I am stumped.

Those videos will not load
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 pm

dboss wrote:I should also mention the play of a few other guys.

Most impressed with Jabari Bird on offense because he seems to know how to score.  I thought we really could have used him during the playoffs but his two-way player status prevented that.

Semi looked like an old pro out there but I think he still needs to carve out space and become a beast on the glass.  

Yabuselle has a rather large backside.  He only went 1-4 from deep but when it counted he wins the game with his drive off of the screen and dunk and then the cross over step back 3.  YES!

Martin did not get a lot of minutes but he has an NBA body.  Looks like he can score around the basket.  There is a thickness about him that I like.

Interesting that guys like Semi and Yabu seem too good for summer league play.  Jason and Jaylen graduated
last year.  The point being that The Celtics have a really talented collection of young players and their development from year to year is very apparent.

I thought they both played well, but need to play even better in all phases....

Neither played close the the level last year of 2 J’s in SL.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Full highlight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABFeJUi7_A
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

dboss wrote:Full highlight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABFeJUi7_A

Thanks for bringing this, many of us cannot watch the games live.

I don't know why the videos on the NBA site don't load. It looks like it would be a good source of highlight videos, but so far you and I cannot get them to work.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Danny recognized Bird's long term value as an inexpensive talented player. By structuring Bird's season as a 2 way last year, Danny added an extra year of keeping him on the cheap, when we'll rally need inexpensive talented players down the road with big contracts looming. Williams and Bird will both be relatively inexpensive for the next 4-5 years, allowing us to compensate and keep others.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down