bobheckler
jrleftfoot
Ktronic1
worcester
gyso
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs  Empty Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs

Post by gyso Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-celtics-rookie-has-artery-condition-in-both-legs/ar-AAzPlTs?ocid=spartandhp

All of the news surrounding Robert Williams since he was drafted by the Boston Celtics seems to be negative.

On Monday, MassLive.com’s Fred Katz reported that Williams has an artery condition in both of his legs. Katz says the condition is not believed to be very serious, although it could require a procedure in the future if it gets worse.

One key item to note is that all NBA teams were aware of the condition before the draft. Boston selected Williams with the No. 27 overall pick.

Williams averaged 10.4 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game as a sophomore last season at Texas A&M. His Celtics career got off to a bad start as he missed a phone call and team flight.

My comments: Not much meat here. What is an "artery condition". Stay tuned, I guess?!?

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs  Empty Re: Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs

Post by gyso Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 am

Here's something:

https://247sports.com/Article/report-boston-celtics-rookie-robert-williams-artery-condition-injury-update-119693956/

Sidelined by a knee contusion, Celtics rookie big man Robert Williams has only played in two of Boston's three games at Las Vegas Summer League. Williams' knee injury isn't the only issue he's dealing with as according to Fred Katz of Mass Live, the Celtics rookie has "an artery condition in both of his legs."

According to Katz, Williams has Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome (PAES), which is a vascular disease that restricts blood flow in the lower legs. The Celtics reportedly knew about Williams' condition before the draft and don't think it is that serious.

Here's more on Williams' condition from Katz:

A source described the condition as, "not too serious." It could, however, require a procedure if it were to degenerate down the line.
NBA teams, including the Celtics, were aware of Williams' condition at the time of the draft -- as was Texas A&M, where Williams went to college. The rookie has been playing with the condition for years, sources told MassLive. The L.A. Clippers' doctors performed his predraft physical and disseminated results to other organizations upon request, standard procedure for a prospect. The Celtics have also done their own physicals on Williams.

The team will regularly monitor his PAES. There are no signs at this time of it getting any worse than it's previously been, per multiple sources.

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs  Empty Re: Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs

Post by gyso Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 am

Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popliteal_artery_entrapment_syndrome

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3199694/

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:47 am

Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs  Poplit10

Last edited by gyso on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 am

Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs  Poplit13

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:49 am

Report: Celtics rookie has artery condition in both legs  Poplit12

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 am

Damn.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:35 am

Robert Williams Injury: Celtics Rookie Reportedly Has Artery Condition In Legs

NESN by Darren Hartwell

Robert Williams apparently is dealing with more than just a minor knee bruise. The Boston Celtics rookie has an artery condition in both of his legs called Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome (PAES), MassLive.com’s Fred Katz reported Monday night, citing multiple sources. For people with PAES, the muscles and tendons near their knees are positioned such that they compress the popliteal artery, the main artery that runs through and behind the knee. This compression restricts blood flow to the lower leg and can cause “aching pain, numbness, and tiredness or cramping in the calf” during exercise, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Before C’s fans get too worried, though, a source told Katz the condition is “not too serious” and there are no signs Williams’ PAES is bothering him more than it has in the past. Williams has played with the condition for years, per Katz’s sources, and the Celtics were well aware of it when they selected him No. 27 overall in the 2018 NBA Draft. The team reportedly will monitor the situation, however, as surgery is a possible form of treatment that could decompress the artery and improve blood flow. Williams has missed two of the Celtics’ three games at the Las Vegas Summer League with a left knee contusion he suffered in his debut and also has been dealing with left knee tendinitis since last year, per Katz. While these developments obviously are cause for concern, it doesn’t sound like any are serious injuries that would threaten Williams’ season or career. Boston also has a deep roster and can afford to be cautious with the 20-year-old rookie.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/07/robert-williams-injury-celtics-rookie-reportedly-has-artery-condition-in-legs/

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:40 am

Kawhi Leonard also has Pop entrapment syndrome....

Popovich won't let him out of his contract easily.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 am

What treatments are available for patients with PAES?

CLEVELAND CLINIC

Surgery can be done to correct the problem with the muscle or tendons and release the popliteal artery. This eliminates the compression of the artery and allows normal blood flow to the leg.

In more advanced cases when the popliteal artery is blocked, rather than pinched, the surgeon will correct the problem with the muscles or tendons and also perform a bypass around the blocked section of the artery to restore blood flow.

What can I expect after PAES surgery?

Hospital stay is typically one to two days. Physical therapy may be done as an outpatient to help facilitate recovery by using stretching and flexibility exercises. Once you fully recover, you can expect to go back to training and your normal routine.

What type of follow-up care will I need?

Follow up ultrasound of the repaired artery and blood pressure checks in the feet will be done in the office at one to two months in the office and at one year. If the artery has returned to normal you won’t need any further follow-up visits unless your symptoms return or a bypass of the artery was required.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am

worcester wrote:Kawhi Leonard also has Pop entrapment syndrome....

Popovich won't let him out of his contract easily.
lol!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 pm

worcester, to this layman, it sounds like getting the surgery in the off-season , and eliminating the problem , makes sense. I realize that avoiding surgery is generally the best course, but maybe not for pro athletes. Any thoughts from your more informed perspective?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Igiven he is facing many 82 game seasons, i would advise getting the surgery tomorrow. Restricted blood flow never works out for the best.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 am

Sounds minor and easily fixed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am

I wish the media would give him a break. Most of the struggles he's had since getting drafted can be attributed to doing things he's never done before and struggling to adjust, media availability across time zones and the amount of travel. Clearly he needs help to adjust. He's a young 20 year old. Not everyone can handle it like Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 am

KyleCleric wrote:I wish the media would give him a break. Most of the struggles he's had since getting drafted can be attributed to doing things he's never done before and struggling to adjust, media availability across time zones and the amount of travel. Clearly he needs help to adjust. He's a young 20 year old. Not everyone can handle it like Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum.

Great perspective.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:39 am

worcester wrote:Igiven he is facing many 82 game seasons, i would advise getting the surgery tomorrow. Restricted blood flow never works out for the best.

any guess on the timeline on being back after surgery?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 pm

KyleCleric wrote:I wish the media would give him a break. Most of the struggles he's had since getting drafted can be attributed to doing things he's never done before and struggling to adjust, media availability across time zones and the amount of travel. Clearly he needs help to adjust. He's a young 20 year old. Not everyone can handle it like Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum.

The first time that I ever flew, I was in my mid-30's.  I missed my connecting flight in O'Hare because I lost track of time while catching a smoke.  I ran to the gate and saw my plane pulling away.  I did that when I was much older without the glare of the media, I cannot imagine dealing with all that mess at such a young age.

I was traveling for work and never told anyone what happened.  It ruined my plans for the rest of the day.  I was flying to Seattle and from there I was going to drive to Wenatchee.  Along the way, I was going to check out the place where they shot the TV show Northern Exposure.   I ended up having to change my plans and drove across the mountains in the dark on a rainy night.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Six weeks max is my guess.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Some good news about the rookie Williams. He just bought a condo right across from the Celtics practice facility.

Hope he also invested in a couple of top of the line alarm clocks!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:54 pm

bobc33 wrote:Some good news about the rookie Williams.  He just bought a condo right across from the Celtics practice facility.  

Hope he also invested in a couple of top of the line alarm clocks!

wise move by the rookie or whoever made this suggestion to him.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm

To me it shows that he knows he has screwed up a couple of times big time, knows how bad it looked with the rep he was carrying from earlier reports of his immaturity. Hats off to the kid, he knows he has a good thing going here in Boston and wants to succeed.

They are doing so much building in the area of the practice facility that I bet there may be others doing the same thing. Everywhere you turn they are knocking down buildings and putting up new apts and condos.

I see this as a positive thing, whether someone helped him make this decision or not. That facility will be a big plus in attracting players. It is beautiful.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg
about 3 hours ago
Robert Williams said he just got a place right next to the Celtics new practice facility. “Two-minute walk, said Williams who laughed and added, “Can’t be late!

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 2 hours ago
Another part about Robert Williams moving right next to the facility: players couldn’t do that at team’s old place in Waltham. I imagine more players will move near the new facility as the neighborhood keeps getting built up. A nice plus to be that close with easier commute to TD

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
about 2 hours ago
Robert Williams will sleep standing up in his locker at the Auerbach Center, according to a source who will be tasked with waking him up in time to pee in the shower before practice.

Chris Forsberg
about 2 hours ago
Robert Williams said the injured knee that kept him out of most of summer league is “feeling way way better.” He’s been in Boston rehabbing and expects to be full go before training camp arrives.

Chris Forsberg
about 2 hours ago
Robert Williams on working out with vets like Horford, Baynes: “I learned you got to be a sponge when you’re around those guys. Their work ethic — you’ve got guys in the offseason 6 in the morning coming in to get treatment and work out. They’re not obligated to do that."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

The Celtics new facility is right next door to the Bruins facility and yes luxury condos are right across the street.

The Bruins let fans watch their practice at no charge. Would be great if the Celtics do the same, Rosalie we’ll have to go to some of them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next