Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum

+2
rickdavisakaspike
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum Empty Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-wonders-lakers-didnt-draft-budding-celtics-star-jayson-tatum-194329803.html

Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum

Ben Rohrbach
Ben Rohrbach
Yahoo SportsJuly 30, 2018, 1:43 PM MDT

Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum 2930336608ca024b6c9ff49eebcde653
Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant trains with Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum in Los Angeles. (Instagram)

The Celtics-Lakers rivalry has no bearing on who Kobe Bryant chooses to help in retirement.

While Lakers point guard Lonzo Ball has reportedly not sought Bryant’s advice early in his career, Celtics wing Jayson Tatum seeks it at almost every turn. Tatum, who Boston drafted one spot after Los Angeles took Ball with the No. 2 pick in 2017, patterned his game after Bryant as a kid and is training with the Lakers legend now as a budding NBA star. The two sinewy scorers from opposite sides of the rivalry have developed a close working relationship in recent months, and the similarities between the two are so striking that Bryant openly wondered why the Lakers didn’t draft Tatum over Ball.

It started when Tatum’s trainer, Drew Hanlen, showed Bryant a video he mashed up of the young Celtic replicating a wide array of the retired Laker’s moves, all to a clip of Tatum telling ESPN, “Kobe Bryant was the reason I started playing basketball. Always was and will be my favorite player of all time.”

Drew Hanlen
@DrewHanlen
My man @jaytatum0 is a bucket because he studies film & has spent YEARS perfecting his craft. Stole a lot of his best stuff straight from his idol @kobebryant #puresweatfam

10:47 AM - Jul 15, 2018

“We actually showed Kobe it yesterday,” Hanlen told “Sidelines” podcast host Evan Daniels, via USA Today, “and he was like, ‘Why didn’t the Lakers draft him?’ which was pretty funny after seeing that.”

Hanlen suggested Bryant made the comment somewhat in jest, as if to say, “How come the Lakers didn’t draft another me?” but the fact remains that the Lakers could have drafted Tatum over Ball. Then again, the Celtics might have stuck with the No. 1 pick and taken Tatum there if they weren’t so sure the Philadelphia 76ers were going to draft Markelle Fultz and the Lakers were stuck on Ball.

Lonzo Ball has not sought Kobe Bryant’s tutelage

The Bryant-Ball relationship was interesting to follow in the highly touted prospect’s first year, if only because there really wasn’t one between the outgoing all-time great and the incoming heir apparent. Ball first met Bryant in the months before the 2017 draft, when it was already clear the Lakers were drafting him, and Ball was “unmoved by the interaction,” according to Bleacher Report’s Kevin Ding:

Bryant asked Ball if he had a post-up game; Ball said he did.

But individual post-ups are not what Ball wants.

“Try to be a good teammate and a better point guard,” Ball summarized in his typically brief way.

Months after Bryant offered up his advice to Ball, the Lakers rookie still had never reached out to the future hall of famer, per the L.A. Times’ Tania Ganguli. “It’s nothing he can’t figure out,” said Bryant.

Ball’s father, LaVar, went so far as to say Lonzo doesn’t need Bryant’s advice. After all, everything he can learn about the game of basketball, he’s already learned from his dad. Or something like that.

“If Zo wants to take some advice from Kobe, on doing what? Passing, shooting? Him and Kobe don’t even have the same game,” LaVar told “Rolling Stone” magazine.

“Zo can take whatever he wants from him, but I’m looking at it like, Zo is where he’s at because of what I have done with him.”

It is true that Ball and Bryant play vastly different styles. Bryant was a lethal scorer who was often criticized for taking games over from his teammates. Ball has been a dreadful shooter who is best known for his ability to get other teammates involved. Still, there are other aspects of the game that Bryant could offer advice about beyond shooting and passing — like defense, where he earned 12 All-Defensive selections, or mindset, where his Mamba Mentality helped him win five championships.

Bryant has made vague references to ways Ball can get better, saying in December that the rookie should have the mentality that he “needs to get better now” and adding earlier this month that the addition of LeBron James should give Ball and the young Lakers “that really good pressure to push them forward sooner rather than later.” Thus far, at least, it seems Ball is content with the guidance he’s already getting from his Lakers idol, Magic Johnson, right on down the line in the organization.

Bryant learned plenty in a record-setting 20-year career, and in his short retirement he has passed that knowledge to a growing list of players, not all of whom were wings like he and Tatum. Boston’s last two star point guards, Isaiah Thomas and Kyrie Irving, are among the players Bryant advises. The depth of his understanding of the game comes across clearly in his “Detail” chronicles for ESPN.

Bryant first advised Tatum in the playoffs

One of those “Detail” episodes was focused on Tatum’s still-developing game during the Eastern Conference finals, long after Ball’s Lakers were eliminated from championship consideration:

Between Games 2 and 3 against the Cleveland Cavaliers, Tatum told reporters he watched Kobe’s analysis some 25 times. “It’s helpful information that I can take with me,” he added. Four games later, he dunked on LeBron, bumped him, and then made a step-back 3-pointer to give the Celtics a short-lived fourth-quarter lead of a Game 7 with an NBA Finals berth on the line. Downright Kobe-esque.

Now, while James is joining forces with Ball, Bryant is training with the second-year Celtic in L.A.:

I’m not even sure Bryant would have believed that twist in the Celtics-Lakers rivalry if you told him this a decade ago, when he said he listened to the Dropkick Murphy’s every day for two years to remind him of his 2008 Finals loss to Boston and serve as motivation for redemption in 2010.

Come to think of it, maybe Ball is better off without Bryant’s advice, since I’m not sure there’s another player alive capable of listening to “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” 730 times and emerging better for it.

bob
MY NOTE:  It's all about Jayson learning the Mamba Mentality.  If he gets that he will be a lock as a perennial All-Star.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Paul Pierce said during the playoffs that Tatum "doesn't realize yet that he's the guy". Tatum's basketball skills and basketball IQ are unlimited, and someday his commitment to team play may allow him to surpass Kobe. The former Celtic Tatum reminds me of more than any other is John Havlicek. It tantalizes to remember that John Havlicek took time to develop and fill out his various roles; sixth man, small forward, shooting guard, even point guard. One of the things that all three players have is an awareness of timing; as in it isn't how many points you score but when you score them. Tatum seemed to be conscious of it more and more as the playoffs went along and often seemed to be at his best in the fourth quarters.

On another note - Bob Heckler. Hi. Can you clarify whether your post originated in deepest darkest Africa or darkest deepest California?

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:11 pm

Who would've thought a lifelong Laker would be helping the C's so much?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:47 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Who would've thought a lifelong Laker would be helping the C's so much?

KJ

i'm not sure it's not some sinister ploy just yet.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Matty wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:Who would've thought a lifelong Laker would be helping the C's so much?

KJ

i'm not sure it's not some sinister ploy just yet.

Matty

Yeh - Like a double agent in a James Bond basketball thriller.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 pm

rickdavisakaspike wrote:
Paul Pierce said during the playoffs that Tatum "doesn't realize yet that he's the guy".  Tatum's basketball skills and basketball IQ are unlimited, and someday his commitment to team play may allow him to surpass Kobe.  The former Celtic Tatum reminds me of more than any other is John Havlicek.  It tantalizes to remember that John Havlicek took time to develop and fill out his various roles; sixth man, small forward, shooting guard, even point guard.  One of the things that all three players have is an awareness of timing; as in it isn't how many points you score but when you score them. Tatum seemed to be conscious of it more and more as the playoffs went along and often seemed to be at his best in the fourth quarters.

On another note - Bob Heckler.  Hi.  Can you clarify whether your post originated in deepest darkest Africa or darkest deepest California?

Spike,

Deepest darkest Africa, specifically from my lodge in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in southwestern Uganda.  I spent the morning tracking mountain gorillas in the mist and posted this after I got back and took a long shower.

I have videos but can't post them due to file size.  I'll try to figure this out when I get back to California in November.

This was from a distance of maybe 20-22'. Could have been a bit closer, maybe 18-19'.

bob
Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum 20180710

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:
rickdavisakaspike wrote:
Paul Pierce said during the playoffs that Tatum "doesn't realize yet that he's the guy".  Tatum's basketball skills and basketball IQ are unlimited, and someday his commitment to team play may allow him to surpass Kobe.  The former Celtic Tatum reminds me of more than any other is John Havlicek.  It tantalizes to remember that John Havlicek took time to develop and fill out his various roles; sixth man, small forward, shooting guard, even point guard.  One of the things that all three players have is an awareness of timing; as in it isn't how many points you score but when you score them. Tatum seemed to be conscious of it more and more as the playoffs went along and often seemed to be at his best in the fourth quarters.

On another note - Bob Heckler.  Hi.  Can you clarify whether your post originated in deepest darkest Africa or darkest deepest California?

Spike,

Deepest darkest Africa, specifically from my lodge in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in southwestern Uganda.  I spent the morning tracking mountain gorillas in the mist and posted this after I got back and took a long shower.

I have videos but can't post them due to file size.  I'll try to figure this out when I get back to California in November.

This was from a distance of maybe 20-22'. Could have been a bit closer, maybe 18-19'.

bob
Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum 20180710

Regardless if it’s 20-22 or 18-19 feet.

It’s still out of Simmons range.

Kobe Bryant wonders why the Lakers didn't draft budding Celtics star Jayson Tatum 50f4fc10
beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Beat, that's cold man, just cold.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Bob

Thanks. Always wanted to go there, well, not exactly there - northern Uganda to look at Bonobos in their native habitat.

Experiencing big fierce animals in the wild is unforgettable.

Not back til November? Tatum should be leading the league in 10 categories by then.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down