BYO Drool Cups

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BYO Drool Cups

Post by bobheckler on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:13 am

It's the Basketball Dog Days of summer, so here are some Pavlovian drool-inducing videos to keep us going until the 2nd or 3rd week of September, when it gets real again.

If you've forgotten how good Kyrie is, this video will remind you.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: BYO Drool Cups

Post by bobheckler on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:16 am

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Never mind that, if we had any doubt at how good they are going to be this year, with Gordon Hayward in the lineup, there are the answers right above.

The kids are going to be twice (or more) as good. Remember,they have confidence now that they can do almost anything. Kyrie will be healthy, Gordon will be healthy, and Al will be there as a steadying force. The bench is going to be terrific, I expect more and more from Theis. He is comfortable here now and this team has become helpful to one another. Smart will be the first off the bench, in most cases.

I sometimes wonder if we are not as deep as GSW. I know they are the champs, but, everyone is gunning for them. Curry had better stay healthy this year.

BRING IT ON, I AM JUST ITCHING FOR THIS SEASON TO GET GOING. FINGERS CROSSED ALL PARTS STAY HEALTHY
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:19 pm

I just heard from my son that his company, Maine Standard Biofuels of Portland, will be the new, official, on court sponsor of the Maine Red Claws for the coming season. "Fuel Local, Fuel Good" will be their tag line on ads. He collects waste vegetable oil (WVO) from all Burger Kings in New England and hundreds of restaurants in Maine and converts it into zero carbon footprint biodiesel fuel and home heating oil. The Casco Bay Ferries run on his fuel as do the Oakhurst dairy trucks. He also makes a soap product derived from the glycerin he extracts from the WVO. It's called Wicked Strong soap, which has led him into a recycled, virus free rag business. He hopes that will give him the opportunity to provide the mops the Red Claws use when mopping up spills and sweat on the hardwood. His goal is to become the official mop company of the NBA. Big trees from little acorns grow.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:17 pm

worcester,

Not quite sure how your son's company relates to Celtics basketball.

Last edited by wideclyde on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm

The Maine Red Claws are the G league team for the Celtics.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 am

worcester wrote:I just heard from my son that his company, Maine Standard Biofuels of Portland, will be the new, official, on court sponsor of the Maine Red Claws for the coming season. "Fuel Local, Fuel Good" will be their tag line on ads. He collects waste vegetable oil (WVO) from all Burger Kings in New England and hundreds of restaurants in Maine and converts it into zero carbon footprint biodiesel fuel and home heating oil. The Casco Bay Ferries run on his fuel as do the Oakhurst dairy trucks. He also makes a soap product derived from the glycerin he extracts from the WVO. It's called Wicked Strong soap, which has led him into a recycled, virus free rag business. He hopes that will give him the opportunity to provide the mops the Red Claws use when mopping up spills and sweat on the hardwood. His goal is to become the official mop company of the NBA. Big trees from little acorns grow.
+ 1. good for him!
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm

People forget he's 6'7"-6'8", 230# and plays guard.  He can overpower most players guarding him.  He just needs to improve his handle and/or first step so he can get his shoulders past them.

A BIG year for Jaylen.  His 3rd year.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:56 pm

bobheckler wrote:People forget he's 6'7"-6'8", 230# and plays guard.  He can overpower most players guarding him.  He just needs to improve his handle and/or first step so he can get his shoulders past them.

A BIG year for Jaylen.  His 3rd year.

bob

One of the reasons I said during playoff run that he’s already surpassed Dominique was because of his ability as a defender. Not only can he guard multiple positions, the quickness and ability he has on the perimeter is quite high level too, ask Steph Curry. Also how that Sixer wing Covington got first team all defensive is a joke, as he couldn't guard either of 2 J’s during playoffs with any competence. People think Smart is our best perimeter defender and he’s good/great, but Jaylen’s D might surpass his this year. Either way our defense is lethal for this eras game right now and should be even better this year.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Wide,

Although Worcester did make a direct connection that his son's company will be sponsoring Red Claws basketball, we've always had a certain post about your kids/grandkids thing going on. W happens to have a direct tie-in on this one with hoops, although the added info shows that W's intellect and business savvy extends to his kids.

Feel free to post about family or personal accomplishments here, it's always OK. You could even start a specific thread if you like. As one prime example, we've been following beat's son for years. From high school through college and right into his early career. He's even a board member here, as is dboss's son. We've been watching MrKleen's young son from his first few moments as a new-born, to a now budding young C's fan, kept tabs on BobH all over the globe, and can tell you how many buildings in and around Boston BobC has held jobs in! You'll find constant avatar updates of my son on his school and travel tournament baseball teams, and his school football team.

We may zap political commentary, but personal is more than welcome. So by all means, go ahead and let us know what you're up to if you're so inclined!

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 am

Rozier had a great playoffs, for sure, but in case you forgot who he had replaced and is coming back...

Some real drool-worthy stuff here.  Also, credit to Smart for 2 Marcus Smart plays that got Kyrie a 3 at about the 4 minute mark of the first video and time running down in regulation.

Kyrie with 37.  GSW needed 49 from Curry.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 am

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:01 pm

I have had many discussions with people since last season over the improvement/advancement of Terry Rozier. I have also had a few arguments about his value as opposed to Kyrie's. I am sorry, but Terry Rozier is not near Kyrie in talent. His ball handling skills just don't come near Kyrie's, for one.
I am not knocking the kid, he has come really far, but anyone who believes he could walk into Kyrie's spot and we wouldn't notice the difference is wrong.

As far as Jaylen is concerned, there are times when I believe he may just become the best all around player on this team in the future. Tatum will always have more scoring power, but, all around, Jaylen has just hit the tip of the iceberg.

Isn't is scary what we have here? I could go on and on about different players and their value. This team is so unique. That idiot on ESPN who claimed that Philly is a better team is pipe dreaming. I think our biggest battle will be with Toronto, or....maybe not????
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Rosalie,
I agree about Raps being more of a challenge than 76's.
Last year we always struggled against the former and demolished the latter.
This year, no significant upgrade in Phili, slight upgrade in Toronto (providing that KL is 100%).
The only x-factor is Raps' new coach.

AK
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm

The current Celtic roster has the potential to be as good as the those super Celtic teams that featured Bird ,Parish, McHale, Garnett, Pierce and Allen.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm

swish wrote:The current Celtic roster has the potential to be as good as the those super Celtic teams that featured Bird ,Parish, McHale, Garnett, Pierce and Allen.

swish

Swish,

You are making a forward-looking statement that this Celtic team could be as good as Championship teams that perennially competed for a Championship for 5+ years, without citing historical data?

Who are you, and what have you done with Swish?  
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics play at a level similiar to those super teams that I mentioned - Blessed with a youthfull band of very high percentage shooters - (with Golden State like EFG'S) and backed by last years # 2 FG defense should place the Celtics in position to have a banner year.

Here's a look at the shooting skill level of the top Celtics for there last full year.

http://bkref.com/tiny/KVHXh

I'll followup with some numbers on the 85-86 and 07-08 Celtics.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:01 am

bobheckler

Here are the 85-86 figures

http://bkref.com/tiny/X0Hft

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 am

bobheckler

And here are the figures for the 07-08 Celtics

http://bkref.com/tiny/h8r74

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I have had many discussions with people since last season over the improvement/advancement of Terry Rozier.  I have also had a few arguments about his value as opposed to Kyrie's.  I am sorry, but Terry Rozier is not near Kyrie in talent.  His ball handling skills  just don't come near Kyrie's, for one.  
I am not knocking the kid, he has come really far, but anyone who believes he could walk into Kyrie's spot and we wouldn't notice the difference is wrong.  

As far as Jaylen is concerned, there are times when I believe he may just become the best all around player on this team in the future.  Tatum will always have more scoring power, but, all around, Jaylen has just hit the tip of the iceberg.  

Isn't is scary what we have here?  I could go on and on about different players and their value.  This team is so unique. That idiot on ESPN who claimed that Philly is a better team is pipe dreaming.  I think our biggest battle will be with Toronto, or....maybe not????  

On Jaylen, odd that on his own team many consider Jayson the better scorer and many anointing him the better player. Do you know how many franchises would love to have Jaylen as their lead wing and build around him? Jaylen and Jayson are both better offensively than Kawhi at similar age, I don’t think Jaylen gets enough praise for being such a great young up and coming player....well good problem to have, which one is gonna be
Jordan and which one is gonna be Pippen...???
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 am

Cow..exactly. How many games last year did they have guys not making shots in the first half? Rozier, even Tatum would finally get going in the second half. In the meantime, Jaylen was scoring, rebounding and playing awesome defense in that first half and kept his team in the game until the others got it rolling. Then they got a lot of the credit for having fantastic games, when they never would have been in it except for Brown. He is such a talented kid
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I have had many discussions with people since last season over the improvement/advancement of Terry Rozier.  I have also had a few arguments about his value as opposed to Kyrie's.  I am sorry, but Terry Rozier is not near Kyrie in talent.  His ball handling skills  just don't come near Kyrie's, for one.  

As far as Jaylen is concerned, there are times when I believe he may just become the best all around player on this team in the future.  Tatum will always have more scoring power, but, all around, Jaylen has just hit the tip of the iceberg.  

Isn't is scary what we have here?  I could go on and on about different players and their value.  This team is so unique. That idiot on ESPN who claimed that Philly is a better team is pipe dreaming.  I think our biggest battle will be with Toronto, or....maybe not????  

On Jaylen, odd that on his own team many consider Jayson the better scorer and many anointing him the better player. Do you know how many franchises would love to have Jaylen as their lead wing and build around him? Jaylen and Jayson are both better offensively than Kawhi at similar age, I don’t think Jaylen gets enough praise for being such a great young up and coming player....well good problem to have, which one is gonna be

Cow,

Neither one is Jordan, but either one could be Pippen and that is fine wirh me.  Scotty Pippen was a 7x All-Star, 3x All-NBA First Team, 2x All-NBA Second Team, 2x All-NBA Third Team, 8x NBA Defensive First Team, 2x NBA Defensive Second Team.  He's a HOFer and one of the most versatile players of his era.

I would have no problem if either Jaylen orJayson ended up as Scotty Pippen and would be beyond ecstatic if they both did.  To me, that has never made more sense than in this new positionless NBA where velociraptors rule and the bigger dinosaurs are becoming more and more marginalized.

The two Js are what the future of the NBA looks like and not, quite frankly, paint players like Okafor and Whiteside.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:31 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Cow,

Neither one is Jordan, but either one could be Pippen and that is fine wirh me.  Scotty Pippen was a 7x All-Star, 3x All-NBA First Team, 2x All-NBA Second Team, 2x All-NBA Third Team, 8x NBA Defensive First Team, 2x NBA Defensive Second Team.  He's a HOFer and one of the most versatile players of his era.

I would have no problem if either Jaylen orJayson ended up as Scotty Pippen and would be beyond ecstatic if they both did.  To me, that has never made more sense than in this new positionless NBA where velociraptors rule and the bigger dinosaurs are becoming more and more marginalized.

The two Js are what the future of the NBA looks like and not, quite frankly, paint players like Okafor and Whiteside.

bob

Cowens,

Just to back up my point a bit, here are the first 2 years of Pippen and Brown and Tatum's first year:. Tatum's rookie year numbers look better than Pippen's, but he was playing Pippen's 2nd year minutes, not his rookie minutes.  Where Pippen is definitely ahead of both of them is assists.

Year1/Gm....mpg....fg%....3ptfg%...eFG%...ft%.....reb...ast...ppg
Pippen---------20.9----46.3---17.4-------46.6---.57.6---3.8---2.1---7.9
Brown----------17.2----45.4---34.1-------50.5----68.5---2.1---.8-----6.6
Tatum----------30.5----47.5---43.4-------53.8----82.6---5.0---1.6---13.9

Year 2/Gm.......mpg....fg%....3ptfg%...eFG%...ft%.....reb...ast...ppg
Pippen------------33.1----47.6---27.3-------48.8-----66.8---6.1---3.5---14.4
Brown-------------30.7---46.5----39.5------54.0------64.4---4.9---1.6---14.5

I'd say this post qualifies for the drool cup thread, don't you?

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am

I'd forgotten what a great FT shooter Danny was, better even than Larry.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:08 am

worcester wrote:I'd forgotten what a great FT shooter Danny was, better even than Larry.

Worcester,

Danny was a career 84.6% frito shooter.  Larry was 88.6%.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next