Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by bobheckler on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am

https://nesn.com/2018/08/celtics-star-jayson-tatum-doesnt-mind-coming-off-bench-just-wants-to-win/


Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win



by Nicholas Goss

on Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:14PM



Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum understands team goals are more important than individual ones, so it’s no surprise to learn that coming off the bench next season would not bother him.

“I understand how deep our team is,” Tatum recently told Nicole Yang of Boston.com. “I just care about winning and doing what I can while I’m on the floor.”

Celtics coach Brad Stevens arguably has the deepest roster in the NBA entering next month’s training camp. In fact, the Celtics’ best bench lineup of Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, Marcus Morris, Daniel Theis and Aron Baynes likely would give many starting fives a stiff challenge.

Tatum isn’t worried about the Celtics getting upset over playing time, though, despite the team’s abundance of players worthy of sizable minutes.

“Everybody has a job to do,” Tatum said, per Yang. “Our job is to be the best versions of ourselves and come together for a bigger goal, which is winning a championship. Brad’s job is to manage playing time and manage all sorts of stuff. That’s why he’s the coach. We got a bunch of selfless guys on the team that just want to win. We’ll figure it out.”

Tatum’s willingness to come off the bench should be applauded, but the best decision for the C’s is to have him in the starting lineup, like he was for all 80 regular-season and 19 playoff games he played during his rookie campaign.

The Duke product started at power forward on Opening Night last season, alongside Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford. Stevens probably will use that same lineup to start most games this season, since it features the team’s five best players and presents matchup problems for opponents on defense.

It’s quite possible that Tatum’s role will decrease now that Irving and Hayward — two 20-point scorers and primary ball-handlers — are healthy again, but coming off the bench doesn’t really make a whole of sense for him, unless he struggles mightily in Year 2 and that doesn’t seem likely.


bob
MY NOTE:  Well, here's a clue to what the opening night starting lineup will be, huh?  Smart, Rozier, Tatum, Morris and Theis off the bench.  That is a bench that can score (Tatum, Morris and Rozier) and can defend (Smart, Theis, Rozier and Tatum @ 3) and our starting 5 will have 3 All-Stars.  Quality AND depth.


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38269
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by wideclyde on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:52 pm

It is good to here that Tatum would come off the bench as that second squad would be a quality bunch all by themselves.

First string guys had a tough time containing Tatum last season even though it was only his rookie year. I cannot imagine any team has a second unit that will be able to hold him down. He could be an all star coming off the bench more easily than if a starter.

wideclyde

Posts : 1763
Join date : 2015-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by beat on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Stevens is gonna be mixing and matching all season long.  Personally who starts only counts so much.  Who’s out there when In close game crunch time matters a lot more.

It’s a long season. No one on this theam needs to play big minutes.  

Just please let us remain relatively injury free.

Our team is so versatile he will have almost countless options.  

I’m not one to wish time away but dang I cannot wait for this season to begin.

beat
avatar
beat

Posts : 7004
Join date : 2009-10-13
Age : 65

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by KyleCleric on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:42 pm

He'll be amongst the leaders in minutes regardless and will finish games.

KyleCleric

Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm

I have been trying to find a quote from Tatum where he said he does not mind coming off the bench.  I could not find it.  

What I did pick up from the article is an understanding on his part that this is a deep team and each player has a responsibility to be the best that they can be.  The distribution of minutes is up to Coach Stevens.

Going into the season there are 3 definite starters.  Just 3 (Horford, Irving and Brown)  We do not know if Boston will play big with AH at PF and Baynes at center.  We do not know if Hayward will start. I think he needs to earn that.  We do not know if Boston will go small using a 3 wing lineup along with Kyrie and Big Al.

I think we are going to see multiple starting lineups this year.  Morris started 21 games in the regular season and 4 during the playoffs.  I expect to see him get some starts.  Baynes started 67 out of 81 regular season games plus 12 playoff games however he does not play starter minutes.  The first game last year, Tatum started along with Hayward, Brown, Irving and Horford.  

The Celtics are layers deep so we should expect Brad to utilized all of this amazing depth throughout the season.

The biggest problem for Stevens will be to find quality minutes for guys like Theis, Semi, Yabu, Williams, Bird and Wanamaker.

I do think Boston may sacrifice some size in the frontcourt so that they can play more small ball.  Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford is a very formidable lineup.  Last year the book was out on Brown and Tatum with respect to their abilities to shoot the 3 ball. The Celtics can field 5 outstanding 3 point shooters that are starter quality players.  (STARTER QUALITY) Not even GSW can match that.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by k_j_88 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:42 pm

There's no way I'm starting Hayward just yet. Then again, that's just me...


KJ
avatar
k_j_88

Posts : 4603
Join date : 2013-01-06
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:48 am

I’m trying to find something somewhere other than posted here that Brown, Horford and Irving are definite starters. I know it’s just an opinion but other than Irving and Horford there are no definite starters that I know of.
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3808
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by NYCelt on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:22 am

Tatum coming off the bench?

Ahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!.......

Wait, let me catch my breath....

Ahahahahahahahahahaha....

Oh man, I think I just wet myself. I may have cracked a rib...
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7374
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:57 am

Ktronic1 wrote:I’m trying to find something somewhere other than posted here that Brown, Horford and Irving are definite starters. I know it’s just an opinion but other than Irving and Horford there are no definite starters that I know of.

A bit sarcastic ktronic1, don't ya think?

Yes it is just an opinion (my not so humble opinion) and unlike the referenced article that has no quote from Tatum on his willingness to come off the bench, my opinion can be quoted.

Since you disagree with 1/3 of my assessment regarding starters, perhaps you can share why you do not think Jalen Brown will be a starter and who would start in his place?

I will tell you what I think about why he is a definite starter and you can tell me why you do not.

He is the only legit SG on this team.  In this era of positionless basketball you can call him a wing just like Tatum or Hayward but neither Hayward or Tatum are suitable SG's.  Neither Tatum nor Hayward are quick enough on the defensive end to check opposing SG's in this league.  Offensively all 3 could function at the 2 but Jaylen can score and defend his position.  There are no other players on the current Celtics roster that can do that. For that reason I believe he is a lock to start alongside Irving. Horford is our # 1 big so he will start.

Hayward played 5 minutes last year and is coming off of a very serious injury. The Celtics may choose to ease him back into the mix. Tatum is likely the 4th starter.

In either case, I expect to see multiple lineups. There are probably 8-9 starting level players on this team. In no order of significance, they include:

Irving
Brown
Horford
Tatum
Baynes
Smart
Rozier
Morris
Hayward
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:25 am

NYCelt wrote:Tatum coming off the bench?

Ahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!.......

Wait, let me catch my breath....

Ahahahahahahahahahaha....

Oh man, I think I just wet myself. I may have cracked a rib...

NYCelt

Last year we all came to the conclusion that Tatum was very talented. The playoff run led by Tatum blew me away. I could easily have included him in the definite starter category. He started last year and it is likely he will start again this year. I think a lot depends on the style of play. Brad has never been afraid to play a small lineup. The thing is, we do not know how things would have worked out last year if Hayward did not get hurt. Would Baynes have started 67 games? If Hayward was healthy and Baynes started most games, would Tatum have come off the bench? In any event, after seeing how good Tatum is, I do not see him coming off the bench as a rotation player.

I believe on opening day we are going to see the same starting 5 that was on the court on opening day last year. The big unknown is Hayward. If he is ready, he will start.


avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:40 pm

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24465472

suggested starting 5
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:06 pm

dboss wrote:I have been trying to find a quote from Tatum where he said he does not mind coming off the bench.  I could not find it.  

What I did pick up from the article is an understanding on his part that this is a deep team and each player has a responsibility to be the best that they can be.  The distribution of minutes is up to Coach Stevens.

Going into the season there are 3 definite starters.  Just 3 (Horford, Irving and Brown)  We do not know if Boston will play big with AH at PF and Baynes at center.  We do not know if Hayward will start. I think he needs to earn that.  We do not know if Boston will go small using a 3 wing lineup along with Kyrie and Big Al.

I think we are going to see multiple starting lineups this year.  Morris started 21 games in the regular season and 4 during the playoffs.  I expect to see him get some starts.  Baynes started 67 out of 81 regular season games plus 12 playoff games however he does not play starter minutes.  The first game last year, Tatum started along with Hayward, Brown, Irving and Horford.  




The Celtics are layers deep so we should expect Brad to utilized all of this amazing depth throughout the season.

The biggest problem for Stevens will be to find quality minutes for guys like Theis, Semi, Yabu, Williams, Bird and Wanamaker.


I do think Boston may sacrifice some size in the frontcourt so that they can play more small ball.  Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford is a very formidable lineup.  Last year the book was out on Brown and Tatum with respect to their abilities to shoot the 3 ball. The Celtics can field 5 outstanding 3 point shooters that are starter quality players.  (STARTER QUALITY) Not even GSW can match that.


I think Jaylen also defends 3’s better than GH and Jayson, even though both are good defenders. Jaylen should have been all defensive last year, sometimes they make deserving young players wait a year before giving them the recognition. This year he should defenitely get in as I see our defense taking another step forward.
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14296
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Cow 100% in agreement.  I see Brown as a lock to be in the starting lineup.

He needs to work diligently on his FT #1, his handle #2 and becoming a better facilitator #3.

Even with these legit criticisms he is one hellava player.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by k_j_88 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:48 pm

Jaylen is probably the best lockdown defender we have.


KJ
avatar
k_j_88

Posts : 4603
Join date : 2013-01-06
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:33 pm

How’s this for a swarming shutdown lineup?

Rozier
Smart
Brown
Horford
Williams
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14296
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by bobheckler on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Credit to Brad for keeping everyone humble, hungry and focused on the team.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38269
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by NYCelt on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:08 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:How’s this for a swarming shutdown lineup?

Rozier
Smart
Brown
Horford
Williams

That would be fun to watch... if you're a Celtics fan!
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 7374
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:08 pm

dboss wrote:Cow 100% in agreement.  I see Brown as a lock to be in the starting lineup.

He needs to work diligently on his FT #1, his handle #2 and becoming a better facilitator #3.

Even with these legit criticisms he is one hellava player.

Kawhi played 9 games last year, Cavs used to put other defenders on elite scorers to save Lebron for offense, Jaylen should have been all defensive since he was all over perimeter on best perimeter defensive team in league last year....Covington, please, what a joke...???
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 14296
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by Ktronic1 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:33 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:I’m trying to find something somewhere other than posted here that Brown, Horford and Irving are definite starters. I know it’s just an opinion but other than Irving and Horford there are no definite starters that I know of.

A bit sarcastic ktronic1, don't ya think?

Yes it is just an opinion (my not so humble opinion) and unlike the referenced article that has no quote from Tatum on his willingness to come off the bench, my opinion can be quoted.

Since you disagree with 1/3 of my assessment regarding starters, perhaps you can share why you do not think Jalen Brown will be a starter and who would start in his place?

I will tell you what I think about why he is a definite starter and you can tell me why you do not.

He is the only legit SG on this team.  In this era of positionless basketball you can call him a wing just like Tatum or Hayward but neither Hayward or Tatum are suitable SG's.  Neither Tatum nor Hayward are quick enough on the defensive end to check opposing SG's in this league.  Offensively all 3 could function at the 2 but Jaylen can score and defend his position.  There are no other players on the current Celtics roster that can do that.  For that reason I believe he is a lock to start alongside Irving.  Horford is our # 1 big so he will start.  

Hayward played 5 minutes last year and is coming off of a very serious injury.  The Celtics may choose to ease him back into the mix.  Tatum is likely the 4th starter.

In either case, I expect to see multiple lineups.  There are probably 8-9 starting level players on this team.  In no order of significance, they include:

Irving
Brown
Horford
Tatum
Baynes
Smart
Rozier
Morris
Hayward
I don’t have an issue with your opinion nor your assessment. I never said that I don’t think Jaylen should be a starter. I think its quite possible that you are right and Jaylen turns out to be a starter but I don’t think its as definite as Horford/Irving. You also listed additional possibilities based on us having 8-9 potential starters. Don’t have an issue with that either.
I, on the other hand stated my opinion that I feel at this time that their are only 2 definite starters, Horford and Kyrie. So we agree on at least parts of your assessment.
I don’t know Where you found sarcasm in my opinion/statement but none was intended.
If you care to point it out, I’m open to I hearing it.
avatar
Ktronic1

Posts : 3808
Join date : 2015-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Forget the sarcasm comment I made.  You were not being sarcastic.

I also posted a link that suggest that the starters will be the two we agree on plus Brown Tattum and Hayward.  So there is a source other than what you have read on the board.  I did not see the link before I had Brown in there as the 3rd definite starter.

As I stated, I would be interested in who you think would be the started at SG.  If not Brown who?

I do believe that we wiil see 2 to 3 different lineups.  I think the players that may be in that mix includes Tatum, Hayward, Baynes, Morris and maybe even Williams, Theis and of course Smart who has started for the team.

Great depth certainly provides a lot of options.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by k_j_88 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:59 pm

How do you start anyone ahead of Brown in the SG slot? No one has his combination of speed, power, and length.


KJ
avatar
k_j_88

Posts : 4603
Join date : 2013-01-06
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by swish on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:29 pm

Their is a huge amount of optimism going into this season for Celtic fans - outstanding shooters - outstanding defense and excellent depth stamps them as a bonafide contender for the championship. But at the same time I'm going to keep a leery eye on the Warriors. They have 5 players on this years roster that have, over the last 5 years, been collectively rated all-nba 15 times - the Celtics 1 time. And last year the Warriors as a team had an efg average of .569 - the Celtics .518. It figures to be a very interesting match up of youth vs seasoned vets. It should be a great year of basketball.


swish

swish

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by dboss on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Swish

The Warriors are definitely the target.  

I think Boston can match up with them.  I think Boston will be even better this year on defense.  I think that Hayward may be rhe difference maker because he can score on all 3 levels.  

3 point shooting is the name of the game and Boston with  healthy Hayward can put 5 guys on the floor that are excellent 3 point shooters.

No doubt GSW are the ultimate team but Boston may be ready to take them out this season.

I cannot wait for the season to start.  My hope is that our team can avoid injuries.
avatar
dboss

Posts : 9228
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by bobheckler on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 am

I don't want to mention any names (Cowens, ahem) but some people on this board didn't want us to make the playoffs in Brad's 2nd year because they wanted a lottery pick with an almost infinitesimal shot at KAT.  I argued that year that, not only should you always play to win, playoff experience is something you have to go through in order to advance to the Championship round.  So we got swept that year but the experience, and the bad taste we had in our mouths from it, made us better the next year, and that made us even better for the year after that.  It is a progression of increasingly competitive milestones that have to be earned.  EVEN IF LeBron stayed in Cleveland and EVEN IF Kyrie and Hayward are out this coming playoffs too we would still be more formidable just because we are more playoff seasoned and battle hardened.

The most important muscle in a pro athlete's body is the 4" one between their ears.  GSW still has that over us.  EVEN IF we do match up well with them physically we will have to execute exceptionally well to negate their championship experience.  In my opinion, that experience is more impactful than how many All-Leaguers are on a team.  The 2003 Lakers were a super team too, remember?


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 38269
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by swish on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:I don't want to mention any names (Cowens, ahem) but some people on this board didn't want us to make the playoffs in Brad's 2nd year because they wanted a lottery pick with an almost infinitesimal shot at KAT.  I argued that year that, not only should you always play to win, playoff experience is something you have to go through in order to advance to the Championship round.  So we got swept that year but the experience, and the bad taste we had in our mouths from it, made us better the next year, and that made us even better for the year after that.  It is a progression of increasingly competitive milestones that have to be earned.  EVEN IF LeBron stayed in Cleveland and EVEN IF Kyrie and Hayward are out this coming playoffs too we would still be more formidable just because we are more playoff seasoned and battle hardened.

The most important muscle in a pro athlete's body is the 4" one between their ears.  GSW still has that over us.  EVEN IF we do match up well with them physically we will have to execute exceptionally well to negate their championship experience.  In my opinion, that experience is more impactful than how many All-Leaguers are on a team.  The 2003 Lakers were a super team too, remember?


bob


.

Generally speaking the teams that have the most experience are led by all-leaguers.

swish


swish

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2009-10-16
Age : 86

Back to top Go down

Re: Celtics Star Jayson Tatum Doesn’t Mind Coming Off Bench, Just Wants To Win

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum