Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way'

4 posters

Go down

Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way' Empty Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way'

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/business/media/new-york-times-trump-anonymous.html

Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way'

Updated Sep 6, 5:07 PM;
Posted Sep 6, 4:52 PM

By Tom Westerholm

SPRINGFIELD -- Grant Hill met Jayson Tatum when the Boston Celtics forward was a junior in high school, visiting Duke for the first time. If Hill was impressed by Tatum, a top recruit, he probably wasn't as impressed as Tatum's mother was with Hill's wife -- R&B artist Tamia.

"My wife takes credit for Duke recruiting him," Hill said, smiling."His mom was like a big, big fan."

Grant Hill on Celtics' Jayson Tatum's potential: "It's scary"
A year later, Tatum committed Duke and spent a season with the Blue Devils before being drafted by the Celtics. After his college season, he and Hill connected again. Hill was impressed by Tatum's skill and work ethic.

"He's a grinder," Hill said. "He's a guy that you can tell from his skill set. If you're that young, to be that polished already, footwork, the understanding of how to use his body, how to get off his shot, his total package, his bag of tricks. It's at an elite level to be young. You don't just naturally get that. That's hours and hours of putting time in the gym."

Duke players have experienced a significant amount of success, and Hill is no exception. Ankle injuries derailed what may have been a transcendent career, but not before Hill won a pair of titles with the Blue Devils and earned seven All-Star appearances in the NBA. After a 20-year NBA career, Hill will be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday.

What does Tatum need to do to reach the same status?

"I think he's on his way," Hill said. "... He's in a great situation, which is really good. In some ways you could say it's a blessing and a curse. Because (the Celtics) are so talented, he doesn't have to do as much, which is great for a young player, and they have a chance to win a championship, and have a lot of runway for the next five, six, eight years. But also it doesn't really allow us to see the full package. I think we did see that last year when injuries hit that team, and now it was like they needed him to show and prove, and he did. And he was just a rookie. 19 years old. I think time. Time is what he needs, and I can't wait to watch and see what he ultimately becomes. It's scary."

For Hill, the rise of Tatum -- and other Duke superstars -- has been a little strange to watch.

"All the Duke guys, I went from being a teammate, to being a big brother, to being like an uncle," Hill said. "Now I'm like the old man. None of them were alive when I was there playing. So it's interesting, the relationship through the years. But Jayson is an amazing talent. I'm flattered I'm his comparison. He has so much to offer the game. He hasn't even hit his stride yet. That's my guy, I know his parents. He's family. I'm proud of what he's done and what he will do as his career continues to evolve."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way' Empty Re: Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way'

Post by wideclyde Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:03 pm

It is good that a guy like Hill is impressed with Tatum, but let's hold back a little bit on reserving a spot in Springfield for him.

He certainly got off to a great start last season, but needs to have a whole bunch more of exceptional seasons before getting directions to the Hall of Fame.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way' Empty Re: Grant Hill on Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum's Hall of Fame potential: 'I think he's on his way'

Post by dboss Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:24 pm

wideclyde wrote:It is good that a guy like Hill is impressed with Tatum, but let's hold back a little bit on reserving a spot in Springfield for him.

He certainly got off to a great start last season, but needs to have a whole bunch more of exceptional seasons before getting directions to the Hall of Fame.

Yeah

No one makes it into the Hall after one season.

Hill joins a widening group of former great NBA players that see Tatum as a young player with top end potential. I am not sure if I am more amazed by his skills than I am by the fact that Danny Ainge was rewarded by trading the # 1 pick and moving down where he was waiting. Add the additional 1st rounder in 2019 and it seems implausible.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 am

Grant Hill was Ben Simmons before Ben Simmons (or Simmons is Hill 2.0).  Lethal in the open court, good playmaker, sub-par shooter with limited range.  His career 48.3% fg% was heavily weighted with in close shots as witnessed by his career 31.4% 3pt fg%. Hill improved his shooting over 20 years but was never a great shooter, and Ben Simmons? SHOOT THE 3, YOU COWARD!

Jayson Tatum is dangerous in the open court but that is where the resemblance ends.  Jayson is, already, an elite shooter but he isn't much of a playmaker.

His game is more Pierce than Kobe, although that may have changed after working out with Kobe this summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:15 am

Tatum actually had a much better rookie year than Kobe’s first TWO years. Kobe was only a career 32% shooter from 3, we all remember his big shot ability, but he also was a stat conscious gunner who took more volume shots than anybody.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down